Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion is the most popular game on MMORPG.com

Perfection66Perfection66 Member Posts: 218

This game is still a month away from release and is number one on unique hits by a landslide margin. WoW is sorry 3rd place way down the ladder, i guess it translates with the loss off subs this past year. This a great indicator on how a well polished game and word of mouth can succeed over failed marketing hype by a game company.

Weekly hits

#1 Aion                                          111,909 Hits

#2 Champions Online                                   51,886 Hits

#3 World of Warcraft                                       37,271 Hits

#4 Darkfall                                                        31,786 Hits

#5 Star Wars: The Old Republic                   30,906 Hits

#6Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning  29,835 Hits

#7 Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures       24,801 Hits

#8EVE Online                                                    24,424 Hits

#9Atlantica Online                                            23,239 Hits

#10Earth Eternal                                              20,691 Hits

The king is coming ....

edited, for the weekly numbers

Aion v3 "RELOADED" - A glimpse into the future of the MMO genre

Comments

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

there has already been a couple topics on this...anyway same happens to every mmorpg when they are close to release

It happend to AOC, WAR even Darkfall

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

SW:TOR is rated higher.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Its the new kid on the block. After release the hype and flame will move onto the next "wow killer" and Aion will just be a memory to all but those who play it.

• lilsteezlilsteez Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

... and Aion will just be a memory to all but those who play it.

Couldn't you describe every game like that?

• Perfection66Perfection66 Member Posts: 218

Its the new kid on the block. After release the hype and flame will move onto the next "wow killer" and Aion will just be a memory to all but those who play it.

Well in asia they have 3.5+ mill subs and they have been adding servers a year after release. This a great sign of a games popularity and longevity i would think. i guess the facts are better than lies

• Dilir79Dilir79 Member Posts: 64

Just give AION a few months after release then we'll see where is it gonna be at :D 

Originally posted by Perfection66

Well in asia they have 3.5+ mill subs and they have been adding servers a year after release. This a great sign of a games popularity and longevity i would think. i guess the facts are better than lies

Of course its gonna have 3-4 mil subsctibers, you dont remember WoW was banned from china?, thats why asians kids couldn't play anything else  there, like i say on my post , just give AION a few months after release then we  will see if this was the "WoW Killer"

So if 8 million western players join up you will have your WOW killer. Those are the facts.  I played in CB and i dont see it getting 800K western subs let alone 8 million. If you like the game play it, but this "wow killer" hype has been heard before.

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368
    Originally posted by Dilir79

Of course its gonna have 3-4 mil subsctibers, you dont remember WoW was banned from china?, thats why asians kids couldn't play anything else  there, like i say on my post , just give AION a few months after release then we  will see if this was the "WoW Killer"

A few months after release? It was released in November in Korea. It's been almost a year dude.

• FkinglinuxFkinglinux Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

Gee that's almost as great an honor as first prize at a pig party.
    Don't believe any thing you read, only half of what you see, and play what you like. You'll never go wrong.

Would that not require him to believe what you wrote?

• WhitetreeWhitetree Member Posts: 76

Since you have insisted that you don't intend to ever even play Aion, why are you still on these forums? You're negativity isn't serving any purpose whatsoever. If you don't like the game, fine. We've read that. Several times. Please, if you must hang around this site, go find a game you DO like. And if you can't find any, find some other way to spend your time. Either way, there is no logical reason for us to see another post from you in Aion's forums.

EDIT: I just wanted to point out that I don't believe Aion isn't the "WoW killer" some people want it to be. As I've posted elsewhere, there will likely never BE a WoW killer. Sadly, that game is just going to have to run its course. Is it possible that Aion could be the next big success? Well, yeah. That's why all of us (excluding those like gramps here) are awaiting it.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards. -Lois McMaster Bujold

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by TheStarheart

A few months after release? It was released in November in Korea. It's been almost a year dude.

What i meant was after release here  in the US , and in this case this wasn't a "WoW killer"  then. since its gonna have a year over in asia.

Originally posted by Whitetree

Since you have insisted that you don't intend to ever even play Aion, why are you still on these forums? You're negativity isn't serving any purpose whatsoever. If you don't like the game, fine. We've read that. Several times. Please, if you must hang around this site, go find a game you DO like. And if you can't find any, find some other way to spend your time. Either way, there is no logical reason for us to see another post from you in Aion's forums.

Is it ok if i read about the new "wow killer" or am i forbidden from that as well?

• FkinglinuxFkinglinux Member Posts: 156

What i meant was after release here  in the US , and in this case this wasn't a "WoW killer"  then. since its gonna have a year over in asia.

Simple fact is no game will ever kill WoW, it's already snowballed so much. WoW will continue to live, even when you think its dead, it'll be back like a zombie, Zombie WoW. It's like a black hole but with players instead of mass, players like high populations, wow has them, more people join, better games come along but everyone is still doing wow, and nobody wants to be the first person in another ghostown mmo, so they keep getting sucked in!

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

^ This is when you've watched to many MMORPG's fly pass the radar. It's not about how it is perceived on the forums, but how it is perceived by the players it gets.

Is it ok if i read about the new "wow killer" or am i forbidden from that as well?

You are more than welcome to read, post and do whatever you like. I'm just saying I don't understand why you feel you must be negative. If you don't agree with a post about a game you don't seem to really care that much about, why even reply? I'm not trying to antagonize you, honestly. I just wonder what your motives are.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards. -Lois McMaster Bujold

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Very few people ever raised there hands in the air and claimed aion as a wow killer. NCsoft didn't, and even among the fanbois, very few have made such claims. So even if it does not beat wow, there won't be many people to eat popcorn in a "I told you so" state.

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368

Continued negative posting on a game that you aren't going to play and aren't going to contribute to in terms of its community is the issue.

I would say the same thing for myself or anyone else if we were trolling a different game that we had no intentions of playing on release. It obviously isn't down your alley, so please don't try to alter everyone's experiences that actually want to play.

Edit: To the OP, Aion isn't out so you have many people logging in because of their anticipation. However, it is safe to say many who play WoW are using their time to play the game rather than frequent the forums.

You are more than welcome to read, post and do whatever you like. I'm just saying I don't understand why you feel you must be negative. If you don't agree with a post about a game you don't seem to really care that much about, why even reply? I'm not trying to antagonize you, honestly. I just wonder what your motives are.

My statement was not about the game as much as about the idea that because it has the most hits on a website that it is the "wow killer" of legend. How many "wow killers" have you seen in the last couple of years?  I know its hard to believe but this isnt the first "wow killer" and it wont be the last. And as i stated, after it launches, the hype and flame will move on to the next big thing.

• Perfection66Perfection66 Member Posts: 218

My statement was not about the game as much as about the idea that because it has the most hits on a website that it is the "wow killer" of legend. How many "wow killers" have you seen in the last couple of years?  I know its hard to believe but this isnt the first "wow killer" and it wont be the last. And as i stated, after it launches, the hype and flame will move on to the next big thing.

No one is calling Aion the "WoW killer" except for the trolls like yourself

• morbidanyamorbidanya Member Posts: 45

Continued negative posting on a game that you aren't going to play and aren't going to contribute to in terms of its community is the issue.

I would say the same thing for myself or anyone else if we were trolling a different game that we had no intentions of playing on release. It obviously isn't down your alley, so please don't try to alter everyone's experiences that actually want to play.

Guess I'm  not sure why negativity is frowned upon. Fact is this is a bolts to apples comparison anyway, and YOU simply don't like that anyone is dissing your game of the day.

WOW will laugh all the way to the bank, as usual, and this thread will die again, as usual, when the hype fails to live up to the expectation.

It's great to be excited, but flies are excited by fresh turds.....does that make random public excitement forum fodder?

....everyone has the next "WOW killer"...neat! Bring it to market after the fanboi threads!

No one is calling Aion the "WoW killer" except for the trolls like yourself.

Is that the best you can do? If i dont wet my pants and praise NCSOFT for allowing me to play their game im a troll? Read my posts, ive complimented Aion on some points and my complaint is that it brings nothing new, which it doesnt. Anything Aion does has been done before.

Well, I agree inasmuch as the fact that the fabled "WoW killer" is as elusive as Bigfoot. But just because the world takes it eyes off a particular point of interest does not mean that it just dies or goes away. Each subscriber to any game out there to date that deems a game worth his/her $15 a month will say that, despite all the overblown hype and noise surrounding their game of choice, it really is a good game. WoW really is a good game, or at the very least has been a good game for apparently millions of gamers. What did World of Warcraft kill? Why do we demand that some other title come in and slay the big bad dragon?

Look, I'm here because I have hopes that Aion will just be a game worth my time and money. That's what I'm getting at. If I have a blast while playing it, awesome! I'll enjoy it until I burn out or just find the next game I really want to try. And if I don't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped, well, tough on me. It wouldn't be the first time I've wasted so much on a game (I was one of the few morons that bought Steel Battalion for Xbox... *shiver*) If you have no plans to participate in the community that Aion is trying to develop, then find a place where you can make legitimate contributions. Bashing a game that has proven to be enjoyable by many gamers is as much of a waste of time as any dying MMO out there.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Seriously I think most MMO players now are descended from lemmings.

Ooh 11 million people play this game it must be the best! Ooh 10,000 hits that means the game is gonna be awesome!

For a large percentage of these people it's not the game that's important, it's being a part of something that makes them feel like they 'belong'. That's why they get so defensive when you say bad things about 'their game' because they expect all of the other, I hesitate to even use the term fanboys, 'players' to leap to the defense as well, thus satisfying some inner need for acceptance.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

No one is calling Aion the "WoW killer" except for the trolls like yourself

Just....OH dear! Have you actualy looked at any Aion threads over the last 6 months? Besides, Granpas not even beeing that negative, he makes some valid points. This is a place 4 discusion not mutual knob tugging. I hope Aion does well but you can't expect everybody to think its the second coming, and there voices have a right to be heard as well.