Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW "really" a MMORPG?

Comments

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

Originally posted by firemagic

Originally posted by pingo

Originally posted by firemagic
    The question this topic raises is only paralleled in its extreme stupidity by such idiocies as "Is a cow "really" an animal?" and "Is blue "really" a color?".

There is no stupid questions, only stupind answers.

My question was geared towards being "Massively"!

Is this not why we play MMORPGS?
    To play in a large world which everyone shares. Was that not the thought? Does it not get boiled down to a regular online RPG like Diablo or Neverwinter Nights from current stand point?
    Im not bashing WoW! It is just a questions.
    IMO, community is important. It sort of binds the world together.
    I think the charm of a persistent world is that everyone shares it. In WoW with forced servers and many many servers, it does not seem to be the case.
    I guss Blizzard wanted to take MMORPG in another direction!image
    And maybe they are right? Maybe free roaming skill systems where everyone can make hybrid characters like a sniper/dancer/cook like in SWG, or player housing, player driven economy, social interaction and deep crafting and all that other ambisious stuff and features, just hurts the game?
    Maybe it is not worth to have 10.000 players online at one point if you could get less lag with 3-4 times as little people playing in prime time!
    And I guss that is okay. WoW wants to entertain, not change the way we play MMOs!?image

-Pingo

How does over 3000 people playing on one server not equate to being massive?

I stand by my previous comment: This thread is retarded.

A thread can not be retarded:) I find it offensive by the way! Why do you need to say mean stuff like that:(

Why get mad? It is just raising a question!

By 3000 people? It's quite a bit. But even if every server had 3000 players only half of them would play in prime time on daily basis. And WoW is a very big game:)

Im just saying, when people really get scattered and the fact that end game is instanced dungeons and instanced pvp places(battlegrounds) then of course there will be a drop in population. Shouldnt every city/settlement have lots of life and activity instead of only the AC house cities?

Ever played L2? It was crazy to have 1500 people at one place raiding a hugh dragon! Laggy but fun:-)

The standard has just been raised, and then 3000 accounts on one server, does not seem like allot compared to other mmorpgs, and I guss that is why im questioning if 3000 can be concluded as massively! As another mate said, WoW might be the smallest MMORPG ever! Not that anything is wrong with that.

No need to go all offensive and start flaming! Just a discussion:-)

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by firemagic Originally posted by pingoOriginally posted by firemagic The question this topic raises is only paralleled in its extreme stupidity by such idiocies as "Is a cow "really" an animal?" and "Is blue "really" a color?".There is no stupid questions, only stupind answers. My question was geared towards being "Massively"! Is this not why we play MMORPGS?To play in a large world which everyone shares. Was that not the thought? Does it not get boiled down to a regular online RPG like Diablo or Neverwinter Nights from current stand point?Im not bashing WoW! It is just a questions.IMO, community is important. It sort of binds the world together.I think the charm of a persistent world is that everyone shares it. In WoW with forced servers and many many servers, it does not seem to be the case. I guss Blizzard wanted to take MMORPG in another direction!imageAnd maybe they are right? Maybe free roaming skill systems where everyone can make hybrid characters like a sniper/dancer/cook like in SWG, or player housing, player driven economy, social interaction and deep crafting and all that other ambisious stuff and features, just hurts the game?Maybe it is not worth to have 10.000 players online at one point if you could get less lag with 3-4 times as little people playing in prime time! And I guss that is okay. WoW wants to entertain, not change the way we play MMOs!?image -Pingo
    How does over 3000 people playing on one server not equate to being massive?
    I stand by my previous comment: This thread is retarded.A thread can not be retarded:) I find it offensive by the way! Why do you need to say mean stuff like that:(
    Why get mad? It is just raising a question!
    By 3000 people? It's quite a bit. But even if every server had 3000 players only half of them would play in prime time on daily basis. And WoW is a very big game:)
    Im just saying, when people really get scattered and the fact that end game is instanced dungeons and instanced pvp places(battlegrounds) then of course there will be a drop in population. Shouldnt every city/settlement have lots of life and activity instead of only the AC house cities?
    Ever played L2? It was crazy to have 1500 people at one place raiding a hugh dragon! Laggy but fun:-)
    The standard has just been raised, and then 3000 accounts on one server, does not seem like allot compared to other mmorpgs, and I guss that is why im questioning if 3000 can be concluded as massively! As another mate said, WoW might be the smallest MMORPG ever! Not that anything is wrong with that.
    No need to go all offensive and start flaming! Just a discussion:-)

Sorry for offending you.

The way to settle this is to find out what the average server capacity is for MMORPGs over the last 5 years, and see how WoW fairs against that average.

I don't have the inclination to do the numberwork myself, but my guess is that a server capacity of over 3000 people is pretty near the average server capacity for MMOs in general.

• _Jord__Jord_ Member Posts: 228

WoW is by FAR the most successful MMORPG ever (considering it's just over 1 month old).

When the game launched, the inital 40 servers were quickly full - all "High" populations meaning (it is speculated) more than 3000 players online.

Coming from FFXI, I understand the hardcore MMO crowd who are very threatened by WoW's setup. I hate to tell you this - but WoW is going to change MMOs forever because no one who has played WoW will ever go back to a grinding MMO.

Kharma Trolls (Illidan) - The Official Allakhazam Posters Guild

------
    Played - UO, FFXI, WAR, WoW, EVE
    Currently - Bored.

• TackleburyTacklebury Member UncommonPosts: 295
    I personally think if you have even 1000 people from all over the US that's fairly massive.  I mean I've been to "massive" parties with only 2-300 people.  ;)  I think it's not really fair to compare it to EQ or any other MMO, because they are simply leveling the population per server to the point that the game plays well.  I personally am thankful they aren't getting every possible KB/s out of each and every server.  Shows to me that they care enough to keep the loads decent.  Just my 2cp.  Peace ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>

Tacklebury --}>>>

Originally posted by _Jord_

WoW is by FAR the most successful MMORPG ever (considering it's just over 1 month old).
    When the game launched, the inital 40 servers were quickly full - all "High" populations meaning (it is speculated) more than 3000 players online.
    Coming from FFXI, I understand the hardcore MMO crowd who are very threatened by WoW's setup. I hate to tell you this - but WoW is going to change MMOs forever because no one who has played WoW will ever go back to a grinding MMO.

Kharma Trolls (Illidan) - The Official Allakhazam Posters Guild

I heard Lineage 1 and RO reached 4 million people at some point. Does crazy koreans;) Its gonna be fun to see if WoW can top it:-)

I really don't know if people should feel threatned. Actually I think SOE is benefitting from WoW too. WoW has made MMO truly mainstream!:) Its gonna affect the hole industry!

Dont forget that WoW is still running in its honnymoon days:) Eventually allot of people will leave for EVE, DAOC and all of does others, and many more will come:)

Im just wondering if they are gonna up the server cap from 3000 to maybe 6000?

It would be awesome if all english speaking european countries would be able to hook up on the USA servers aswell, and then let the french speaking, german speaking and spanish speaking get some language servers of their own:)

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by _Jord_

Coming from FFXI, I understand the hardcore MMO crowd who are very threatened by WoW's setup. I hate to tell you this - but WoW is going to change MMOs forever because no one who has played WoW will ever go back to a grinding MMO.Kharma Trolls (Illidan) - The Official Allakhazam Posters Guild

Wait you're telling me that because the servers were over stressed at launch that the game is the most successful ever? Again SWG had (if not still) 300k members too, and has less than a 3rd of the servers.

As far as the accuracy of the numbers is concerned, you can make the same argument in WoW's case. The fact that SOE announced it publicly leads me to believe it. There are enough people that hate SOE enough to fact check that and slam them if they tried to lie about. Not saying it couldn't happen (and doubt they still have that number), but even so, I think we can agree that they have had over 100k which is basically the ratio for WoW. They have one third the servers but well over one third the subscribers.

• RealmreaverRealmreaver Member Posts: 380

Alll I know is that SWG was the only game really for casual players before WoW hit.

What I am curious about is how SWG is doing since WoW? I mean I heard SWG servers are like abandoned these days.

I couldn't concider WoW NOT an MMO....

Anoyendie, NE war (17) of the Stress Test guild; ST1.
    Elderwand, UD WL (16) of the Yeben Rellik guild; ST2.
    Thunbarador, Orc war (17) of the Yeben Rellik guild; OB.

Realmreaver formally of EQ, SWG, FFXI and WoW.

Malis/Pirotess of PSO.

Some named of Diablo 1 and 2 =)

Grendel Kinguard of GW.

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

You can solo in WoW, but only for basic quests and depending on your class.  I found that playing a Hunter makes soloing very easy since having a pet is pretty much like having a 2nd player helping you all the time.  So if you reach Level 60 with a Hunter and start whinning that WoW sux... you're missing out on A LOT!  Try other classes, try other races, try the opposing faction... there's so much to do.

Cause heck, even with a Hunter, there's no way you could solo the Elite quests unless you wait to be double the required level to complete it, and doing an elite quest solo is useless.  So you'll get 1500 xp for completing the quest... who cares?  The rewards you'll get by completing it will be so crappy cause you will already have better items for your level.

By doing quests, you save a lot of money!  Why bother buying armor and weapons all the time?  Quests give enough great loot!  So if you group, finish a tough Elite Quest, you get a kick @ss reward, like a new Sword for example, and you won't have to spend money for a new sword for the next 2-3 levels or so.

Anyways... WoW is a MMORPG.  if you solo it, it sucks.  You end up spending more money buying equipment than getting quest rewards and you have less money to buy new skills.  Then you gotta make more money by grinding.  So if you like grinding, solo!  If you hate grinding, join groups, make friends, join a guild, etc.  I managed to become a Level 24 Priest only by doing quests!  Yep, you got that right, just by doing QUESTS!!!  Oh wait I'm wrong, there was a few days where no one was online, and I was bored, and I found a great spot that spawned creatures all the time, so I grinded for an entire level!  I did that twice... 2 levels were grinded, 22 other levels were gained through questing.

So you decide... grind solo.  Or quest in group.  WoW is a MMORPG, but only you can turn it into a single player online RPG.

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

Originally posted by Realmreaver

Alll I know is that SWG was the only game really for casual players before WoW hit.
    What I am curious about is how SWG is doing since WoW? I mean I heard SWG servers are like abandoned these days.
    I couldn't concider WoW NOT an MMO....

Anoyendie, NE war (17) of the Stress Test guild; ST1.
    Elderwand, UD WL (16) of the Yeben Rellik guild; ST2.
    Thunbarador, Orc war (17) of the Yeben Rellik guild; OB.

It does surprisngly well when it comes to popularity. It's first expansion boosted allot of quality and freshness into the game. It was called STARwars after all. Fighting in space made many people forget about jedi. It is also strange how little WoW and EQ2 apparently effected SWG, subscriber wise.

With that being said it has still MAJOR issues. Combat on ground is all but broken. Groups are dead. Almost everything can be soloed except for two dungeons. People grinding like insane in solo groups(people forming hugh groups for allot of money and soloing)! It would be like having a paladin being able to solo blackrock depth! The extremely powerful doctor  buffs destroyed the PvE balance. Jedi still dominate the game. Its more of the true starwars fans that are left. You know.. many of the "episode 1 rules" kind of people! But there are allot of them! Others are just crafting/entertainer freaks who cant find a simliar experience in any other game!

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Know your technology.Seamiless worlds while have no zoning take far less people then a game which uses zones.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Originally posted by hercules

Know your technology.Seamiless worlds while have no zoning take far less people then a game which uses zones.

Not necessarily.  Dark and Light will not have one server but server clusters.  People will log into a server but all the servers will be linked and that will allow everyone to play in the same together and make it seem like one server.  This will also allow for seamless worlds. 

Second a game can have a lot of players on it with little to no zoning.  DAOC in its first year had many servers with high populations and except for dungeons there was no zoning.  You are correct though.  It is easier on the technology to have zones and zoning does allow for better game play in many cases. 

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

I heard Lineage 1 and RO reached 4 million people at some point. Does crazy koreans;) Its gonna be fun to see if WoW can top it:-)

I really don't know if people should feel threatned. Actually I think SOE is benefitting from WoW too. WoW has made MMO truly mainstream!:) Its gonna affect the hole industry!

Dont forget that WoW is still running in its honnymoon days:) Eventually allot of people will leave for EVE, DAOC and all of does others, and many more will come:)

Im just wondering if they are gonna up the server cap from 3000 to maybe 6000?

It would be awesome if all english speaking european countries would be able to hook up on the USA servers aswell, and then let the french speaking, german speaking and spanish speaking get some language servers of their own:)

RO only has 1.5 Million.  Lineage has about 2 million accounts in Korea.  I think the overal total is around 3 million or so world wide. 

WoW has not made mmorpg mainstream.  What does that even mean?  Yes WoW is popular.  It may turn out to be the most popular in the US.  However right now it isn't.  EQ and EQ 2 still have more players.  Each of those games curently has over 350,000 subscribers.  SWG used to be the most popular with 400,000 but not is at 200,000.  According to Blizzard they had 200,000 accounts opened around launch with 250,000 sold.  We can be sure that those 250,000 have been activated by now.  Industry reports over mmorpg this holiday season placed EQ2 at 350,000 active accounts and WoW at 300,000. 

The most WoW has done is brought in people to mmorpg that were not players before.  Many of the players of blizzard fans and this is their first mmorpg.  So it can be praised for brining in new players.  If those players like this type of game then they might try another game.  However to say that they has somehow down something more than that is to give way too much credit to this game. 

I doubt they will up the server cap.  3000 is about standard for on online game, altough it might not be a bad idea to up the server capacity.  Most games I think suffer from what I call the suburb effect with its expansions.  As you add new zones the old ones become less populated.  The population spreads out and even if you have a stable population on the server it will seem like less people.  Then about 12-18 months after the game has been released it will reach a cresting point and while the subscriber number will stay the same the hours spent online will decrease.  By allowing for a much larger population than normal they can cushion these issues that will develop later. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Allow me to clarify some things for everyone.

At one point RO had 5 million total paying customers in all of the world. They dont anymore since mustakes that were made, now its like 500k. 

Worlds of Warcraft will have a tough time in Korea, because what we see in Korean mmo's that were translated to english are 6+ months behind thier korean counterparts.  The mmo's that were developed in Korea are much more polished; and WoW being a game that is being translated to Korean may pose problems generating hype.

Worlds of Warcraft is considered massively muliplayer because it can pass the cap of 1k players.  The fact of low users populations is due to the technology.  WoW does not use the same technology as Dark and Light, so it actually uses up too much bandwidth to simu-load regions.  Also in place like Gadgetzan, you practically have the entire zone to yourself, well back in open beta.

Swg isnt a casual gamer game.  The system reqs are too high, the UI is difficult to adjust to, and there isnt enough things to entertain someone for more then one month.  It actually appeals to people between the ages of 18-30 and Die-hard Star Wars fans.

Worlds is more popular because they did away with all the conventions of mmorpgs that people hated.  Level Grinding, and death penalties to name a few; but it has a chance at losing customers to titles with substancially more gameplay aspects like RO2, Dark and Light, and Wish.  Despite the fact that the game can be noted as fun and easy to get into, there is still the redundant problem that is contained in just about every other mmorpg; it doesnt have enough things for the player to do resulting in short-term appeal.

Remember, I was right about EQ2.

• DarktongueDarktongue Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by fluffmajster
    ermh acording to me it aint masive..its multiplayer thou...the game i play the most have had 12k+ plaer on the same server that masiveimage..dunno where the limit for masive goes..erhhh i rely dont know anything ima an eu sitzen..so i cant frecking play yet...

your logic is flawed, therfor you are flawd

Battlefield - 16v16 = Multiplayer

Savage -    16v16 =Multiplayer (rpg?)

NWN    -     variable but lower than 50 =multiplayer

Any fps -     8v8   =Multiplayer

MMO - 2000/3000/4000 up to 10k+ =Massive multiplayer.

Its not rocket science.

• SlangerSlanger Member UncommonPosts: 280

Originally posted by Darktongue

Originally posted by fluffmajster
    ermh acording to me it aint masive..its multiplayer thou...the game i play the most have had 12k+ plaer on the same server that masiveimage..dunno where the limit for masive goes..erhhh i rely dont know anything ima an eu sitzen..so i cant frecking play yet...

your logic is flawed, therfor you are flawd

Battlefield - 16v16 = Multiplayer

Savage -    16v16 =Multiplayer (rpg?)

NWN    -     variable but lower than 50 =multiplayer

Any fps -     8v8   =Multiplayer

MMO - 2000/3000/4000 up to 10k+ =Massive multiplayer.

Its not rocket science.

Even if you are on a light load server, there would still be way more people playing at any given time than you would have playing on a server of any given FPS.  It may not be every single person playing in one single zone, but I would still say it would fall into the catagory of MMO. EVE has had +10K on the same server at one time, but I run into more people playing WoW then I did when playing EVE.

Currently Playing: EQ2, WoW
    Retired: Everquest, DAoC, WW2Online, AC2
    Quit: SWG

Currently Playing: Eve-Online
    On the Backburner: EQ2
    Retired: EQ, DAoC, WW2Online
    RIP: AC2
    Tried: Ryzom, Roma Victor, RoM, KH2, Forsaken World, AO, AoC, APB
    Quit: SWG PRE-CU(Radiant/Starsider), WoW

Achiever 47% / Explorer 40% / Killer 87% / Socializer 27%

• VocooVocoo Member Posts: 31

In my experience of SWG, the more people the more crowded it seemed and sometimes it felt alittle alienating.(if that is how you spell it :P) 1000 peeps seems a nice figure, considering when I started on european-infinity there couldnt have been many more than that for a while and it made the community abit more closely knit.

After a while it did grow and you kinda got lost in the sea of people. *remembers being in coronet cantina peeps lol* good times :P

so yeah I think 1000 peeps is ok... I can see your point thou. Cant wait for it over here in the UK! ROLL ON FEB!!! :D

Take care all!

:P SUPER ROBOT MONKEY TEAM HYPERFORCE GO! :P

• Shai'tanShai'tan Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Silver.

It is massive, just divided into many servers.
    The whole US would have gone NUTS, if blizzard would have 1 server that the whole US was to play on.
    The World of Warcraft is too smal for that.
    The game is just so popolar, it is simply not possible!

Who cares about how many people are playing the game?
    Only your own server counts, the other servers can't
    88 servers... WAY to much... Maby 40?

• OudoksujaOudoksuja Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by Shai'tan
    Who cares about how many people are playing the game?Only your own server counts, the other servers can't 88 servers... WAY to much... Maby 40?

That's why -> EVE Online. 12k+ people online simultaneously. One server, one world, one community.

Good point mate!

I hear that EVE had a legendary community!

But if everyone in WoW was on one server, we would have so many many many clones. We can only hope that Blizzard will create more character featuresimage

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think 5k max population per server would be good when 50% of the population is level 40+.  If they had too much can you imagine how flooded the general talk would be?  My Udder jokes would go unnoticed.

Well! Acording to wow census, Bleeding Hollow has 17.000 acounts(or is it just characters?)!

That is actually quite good. Just wondering how smooth it goes and how long QUE it has, and how many who can play at the same time:)

• AtheaAthea Member UncommonPosts: 79

I agree the ammount of servers they have are a lot! I personally prefer less server, I just feel more in the community and close to everyone. I don't like feeling sparse, when I kill things I want people around. I want to talk to people.

I just hope we get more players, everyone in North America should join even the bums. The government can pay for the bums.

And yes it is an MMORPG, and an awsome one at that.

Admin / Owner of warcraftradio.com (World of Warcraft Radio)

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

I'm trying to imagine the subscription money they must be raking in.

Assuming there are at least 2,000 active accounts per server thats

2000 X 88 servers X $15/month = $2,640,000.00  at least each month from subscriptions alone.

WoW

• HyperNHyperN Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by zethcarn

I'm trying to imagine the subscription money they must be raking in.
    Assuming there are at least 2,000 active accounts per server thats
    2000 X 88 servers X $15/month = $2,640,000.00  at least each month from subscriptions alone.
    WoW

Think about the cost for the ppl working on it too... it is some, and they gotta be paid for each month too.

Playing: None
    Played: EVE Online, AC2, WoW us open beta, Knights

-----------------------------------------
    Playing: WoW, EVE Online
    Played: AC2

• LuminiaCCLuminiaCC Member Posts: 3

i know that ff-11 has about 3,5k + people on the server i play on so i bet its about the same on Wow ::::02::