Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: New Expansion "Dominion" Announced

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The 11th EVE Online expansion has been announced today by CCP Games. The new expansion, entitled "Dominion", will launch this Winter, and will focus heavily on EVE Online's endgame gameplay.

As a result of this, the game's current sovereignty system, which is a system of territorial control, will be overhauled as part of the expansion. The new sovereignty system will be a combination of new designs born from the minds of CCP Games' designers and tons of player feedback. No specific details on the new system are available at this time.

An EVE Online: Dominion feature page is also available, though it serves as more of a teaser than anything else at this moment as it is devoid of any actual information.

The original Dominion announcement can be found here.

Comments

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

I am not an EVE player, but I admire this company. They work hard to keep bringing new content to their public and kept growing steadily on the market.

This is the perfect example that a game doesnt need 10 million players to have success, nor do the millions always tell wich game is better,

• DarkbleachDarkbleach Member Posts: 40

Pretty cool.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Great stuff on the horizon for another expansion, and it is the 11th expansion that costs $0.00.

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Wait... EVE has endgame?! And here I have been busting my butt in 0.0 for lolz...

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• EanokEanok Member Posts: 134

I am curious about the new sovereignty system. There has been a lot of talk about a much needed revamp, and then there is the DUST 514 announcement that may in the future allow planetary control based on the actions of ground troops managed by players other than the actual EvE pilots.

As the OP said, we can only especulate, and as it always happens, many won't be happy with the changes. But even if I happen to dislike these new changes (as I disliked some of the "improvements" of  the past) I have to admit that it is nice to see your favourite game revised and improved every six or so months.... for free.

Played: UO, SWG, TR, WoW, AoC, EvE
    Playing: :(
    Interested in: JGE, LotR, TSW

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

What I love about CCP - they certainly aren't lazy.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

A company which knows how to treat its customers.....great show CCP

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Ambulation? Anyone? Bueller?

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Saerain

The "vaporware" feature of EVE.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372
    Originally posted by tryklon

I am not an EVE player, but I admire this company. They work hard to keep bringing new content to their public and kept growing steadily on the market.
    This is the perfect example that a game doesnt need 10 million players to have success, nor do the millions always tell wich game is better,

Wow, man I could not have said it better.  Don't play Eve but I also feel like they seem to be up there in the top mmo game companies. 

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Come on now, did we really need to use the "V" word in this thread? 

-Jive

• Remii718Remii718 Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Come on now, did we really need to use the "V" word in this thread? 

-Jive

Nope, not at all.

We've already seen a playable version of Ambulation at Fanfest if CCP wants to tweak it more and hold off the release until 2010 then so be it.

As for the news of Dominion the next free expansion, I can't wait.

I've played Eve on and off for two years now and have enjoyed every moment. CCP has a great product on their hands, it's polished and appeals to both pvp and pve players and gives player options something these so called "focused" games seem to lack.

With this announcement I've resubbed to get ready for the sov changes.

Playing: WoW, EvE

Interested in: TOR, ER, GW2, WoD, Dust514

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

MORE CONTENT? Do these people ever sleep?

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Ambulation anyone? Wasnt it to be released last year or something like that?

CCP, the Vaporware company hehe

btw: the linked 'dominion' video is kinda old and has its just marketing for new people thinking on joinning this crap.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • EanokEanok Member Posts: 134

I rather get a revamped Sovereign System (the actual system is getting old and the tactics we use these days to gain or lose control over systems are no longer as fun as they once were) than Ambulation. The Ambulation thingy will be a nice addition to the game, sure, like the improved graphics and effects we have been getting over time, but it won't improve gameplay. I for one applaud CCP for listening to the gamers and focus their efforts in providing a new mechanic to the game.

Played: UO, SWG, TR, WoW, AoC, EvE
    Playing: :(
    Interested in: JGE, LotR, TSW

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Leodious

MORE CONTENT? Do these people ever sleep?

People can say what they like about CCP, but no-one can accuse them of neglecting EvE.

Personally I am VERY much looking forward to the sov changes. Whatever they are, they can't be worse than POS shoots....

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Personally, I have found the expansions and patches from CCP to be underwhelming but having said that CCP does seem to be able to cater to their core audience and for those that like Eve online CCP seems to have done a good job. Now, I play Eve regularly and I enjoy the social aspect of the game and being part of a coporation but I do feel at times like a cog in a wheel slowly grinding away at an asteroid. The danger of course in catering to people like myself outside of their core consituency is that they could end up alienating and losing their core players and fail to gain enough new players to offset the losses so all in all CCP seems to be doing well at keeping things moving along so I will look forward to the changes that come with Dominion.

It's so odd, though. I was in Iceland for the 2008 Fanfest. I got my hands on it. I played it, and saw that it was good. Now I say, 'Let there be walking!' but there is silence.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

While Ambulation will be nice from a social viewpoint, I think fixing the sovereignty problem will address far more issues that effect players than introducing a ambulation feature that is obviously not complete.

So instead of sounding like a broken record maybe you might think first before writing that tired line.

So my tastes differ. EVE was already the perfect sci-fi game for me when it was released, and Ambulation encompasses all that I've ever felt it lacked, so I'm perhaps more impatient for it than you.

Not that I don't appreciate the other stuff, but there's been expansion after expansion with nothing on Ambulation, leading to plenty of none-too-pleasant speculation about its state and fate.

• killkoolkillkool Member UncommonPosts: 83

I am an eve player and i see not much of the changes. There is still spamming on language channel and you can do nothing about it. Since 2004 we have been promised walking in station that i do not see coming they showed in 2007 in the fanfest. But when comes in the game. I like the change from the orca with an extra ore holding.

Some attributes are becoming so expensive for a hardcore miner as I am that the michi implant is now rare they are over 1 billion in isks.

But only as you are a real alliance in eve which is majority this dominion expansion will be probably a change. Now it was all the time the posses shooting. New alliance had never a change too come between, the great alliances. But what i want too know is what pc you need too get no lag. 500 players in 1 systeem and you where already dead because grahiccard could not handle all the ships.

AK

player since may 2003

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148

AWESOME. need some changes. things are getting stale here.

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Kainis

Wait... EVE has endgame?! And here I have been busting my butt in 0.0 for lolz...

Damn guy! You mean you've missed out on all of the end game raiding for Phat epics?...Hmmm...Sorry, wrong game...WoW Flash Back...

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."