Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Disney to Buy Marvel for $4B

2»

Comments

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304

This news makes me skeptical about the future of Marvel, not sure if I want Disney to own Marvel. Oh well.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Don't be silly, this is only a good thing. Everything will stay the same, it just means that now Disney can make more toys, cartoons, whatever... it's only going to end up helping Marvel in the long run as well.

• layhooolayhooo Member Posts: 2

so what does this mean for universal theme park? marvel is deeply involved with them considering the rides: hulk, dr dooms, spider man, there might be some others.

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

A company can only become so big before it becomes so bloated it cannot sustane itself. GM is a perfect example. I don't see how this can be a good thing for Marvel OR Disney

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

• BreaghaBreagha Member Posts: 131

This is all a bad dream. It's just a bad dream. Can wake up now.

Now...

Right about now, would be good...

"So I contend that the player stories will always be more powerful than the scripted stories that we try to tell the players."

- Will Wright

• noxdraconisnoxdraconis Member Posts: 39

Look, Disney's treatment of Pixar is not that relevant here.  Pixar was never about making anything but family friendly entertainment.  I think the Disney/Miramax relationship is far more interesting. 

Now while it is true that Miramax under Disney made  Pulp Fiction, Miramax (or the Weinsteins) already had a relationship with Tarantino.  The question is would Disney have allowed Mirimax to green-light Reservoir Dogs if they had owned it back in '91??

On a completely different subject, I have always thought Kingdom Hearts would make a good MMO.

• hogscraperhogscraper Member Posts: 322

Sadly, when people say things like, 'Marvel would never allow this or that', it shows how naive people are when it comes to what makes corporations work. When you have a corporation with shareholders the ONLY thing that matters  is what will drive profits the most. Years of tradition are irrelevant. Fans' desires are irrelevant. Metallica, while not a corporation, is driven by profits primarily. Anyone that listened to them as dedicated fans from Kill Em All can tell you why the black album sucked. It was the exact point in time when the band realized that watered down music for frat boys would out sell heavy metal every time. 

That doesn't mean that I think current titles in Marvel's lineup will change but it definitely could affect new titles if Disney feels they will make more money towards a general audience. Factoring in public backlash is part of the equation but if increased profits can be expected from watering something down, definitely expect it in the long run. Disney puts their money into things if they can put their logo and image into it as well. Don't expect them to inject cash into anything unless they can reap serious money. I'm hoping this means business as usual but the naysayers here are right in that the worst case scenario could be pretty bad for underperforming or stagnant IPs.

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

I cant realy say iv have not seen something like this happening just look at Stan Lee he's put's himself in every movies marvel makes.                  Stan Lee is just a shell of his former self iv know this for a long time but Disney WTF.

• glordglord Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Originally posted by blackthornn

and the Disney Zerglings absorb even more matter into it's collective.  /mourn

Prepare for X4, starring Miley Cirus as Boom Boom, Selina Gomez as Jubilee and the dad from Wizards of Waverly Place as Cable (well, atleast my kids are happy about the merger.........)

Don't forget the Jonas Brothers as the FANTASTIC FOUR!

Wait, there are 4 Jonas Brothers right?

Know what?

Who the hell cares? This eats ass.

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

As if things couldnt go anymore south, disney is buying marvel *pause* DISNEY IS BUYING MARVEL...

Guessing theyl enforce purity rings on marvel crew and remove any "contreversial content"

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Acornia

Something just as a point of intrest, in Marvel comics and Marvel based Champions Online if this sell makes it  through all the legel hoops. 
    That is no navel!
    Note from back cover of MGM dvd movie  "Beach Blanket Bingo"/"How to Stuff a Wild Bikini".
    "Annette Funicello, under contract to Disney, was allowed to make the beach party mivies under one cndition..that she never show her navel."
    Just think back and see how many times you have seen an product, movie or drawing that shows a navel in it.  I can not think of much except maybe a swim seen in the Highschool Musical movies.

That's because a navel is a sign of a placental mammal, and Disney is populated by reptiles.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Can't really disagree with you.  I would really like something good to come out of this, but I have to be realistic that mergers don't always work like that.  
    Maybe I should have said giving pixar the opportunity to do a marvel animated movie.  They could hardly do worse than the last several marvel movies.

The X-Men, Iron Man, and Wolverine movies were all good.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• adamch29adamch29 Member UncommonPosts: 71

It is my hope that this will allow more of my comic book favorites o find their way to movies/TV etc.  I think the combination of Disney/Pixar for a 3d animated Marvel movie would be amazing.  Disney doesn't just produce kids crap.  Mirimax and Touchstone pictures are part of disney.  "No Country for Old Men" wasn't exactly Hannah Montana.  And ABC has some good shows like Lost.  Chill out people.  This could end up being a very good thing for comic book lovers.  Just as in the comics there are always multiple interpretations of a character.  Wolverine in the big screen is different from the one portrayed in some of the comics for instance.  What we might get is a variety of characters in multiple genre's/settings/Media types giving voice to many people's tastes.  Let's see what happens.

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

Lol; personally, im looking at the good in this merger.

Think about it; Imagine if Disney didnt touch any production, but just funded marvel's movies? i mean, imagine Xmen with the budget that Disney would give them? they must have to have known that with there $$ and the marvel spew of characters, that they could create some pretty bad ass A movies.

I myself would personally love for Jubilee;Gambit etc etc to get more spot light or hell to even get under the light, and now maybe with a corp. with trillions of dollars backing their movies, maybe well see more of our favorite heroes/villains coming out of the clockwerk. 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Daffid011

Can't really disagree with you.  I would really like something good to come out of this, but I have to be realistic that mergers don't always work like that.  
    Maybe I should have said giving pixar the opportunity to do a marvel animated movie.  They could hardly do worse than the last several marvel movies.

The X-Men, Iron Man, and Wolverine movies were all good.

I fell asleep in Iron Man ... 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• fadesterfadester Member Posts: 1

This kind of makes me sad, Marvel!?! What the hell man!

Of course Disney buying Marvel has to be a money issue,... either how to gain more or how to pull themselves from going under. Of course Disney benefits from this, using Marvel to generate money on the newly envisioned future theme parks.

But I know from them owning Marvel they will have a huge say in what going on there

May be there will be no change, for now. But sooner or later subtle changes will happen, and that foot in the door is just all disney needs to place micky mouse in x-men to boosts sales. Don’t worry micky mouse will fit perfectly, by all means hes a magic user and can pass for a mutant.

I know most people will love that.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

The one way to get A Mickey Mouse in the Marvel Universe is for him to cross over from the Howard the Duck universe.  This would explain Donald Duck at any rate.  Crossing IP's is not unknown to Marvel. Examples include Micronaunts, Godzilla, Shogun Warriors, Rom the Space Knight just as a start.  I expect a "Incredibles/Fantastic Four" cross over in the mix.  What this purchase does is allow Disney to open another Theme Park on the land at Disney World.  Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, Disney Studios and Marvel Superhero City, if you follow what I mean.  It might start simpely as section of Disney Studios but would expand later to include a whole park, maybe.  Now that would be a one up on Six Flags use of the DC characters.

I just hope they let Marvel continue making the comics as they use to do before the public ownership set in the early '90's.

• ibiohazardiibiohazardi Member UncommonPosts: 5

hahahaha , will be fun , Mikey Vs Spider man : The machins revelion

• BleakmageBleakmage Member UncommonPosts: 186

There goes your friendly neighborhood, Spider Man. lol

Boomp boomp boomp, another one bites the dust. . .

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

Now We are able to go to "X-Men On Ice"?......great......

• faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by fadester

This kind of makes me sad, Marvel!?! What the hell man!

Of course Disney buying Marvel has to be a money issue,... either how to gain more or how to pull themselves from going under. Of course Disney benefits from this, using Marvel to generate money on the newly envisioned future theme parks.
    But I know from them owning Marvel they will have a huge say in what going on there

May be there will be no change, for now. But sooner or later subtle changes will happen, and that foot in the door is just all disney needs to place micky mouse in x-men to boosts sales. Don’t worry micky mouse will fit perfectly, by all means hes a magic user and can pass for a mutant.

I know most people will love that.

I think it goes something like this. Marvel has just made a ton of money proving that they can make movies about their IP better then licensed hollywood studios. They are currently the golden child for doing this. Only problem, in order to keep doing this they nned financing to make more movies. And movie financing from the banks and financial houses has withered. So they go looking for a sugar daddy with deep enough pockets to make it work, and at least some history of protecting existing IP (note Disneys deals with the Henson family).

From Disneys perspective they get a license to print money as long as they let Marvel do their movie thing and dont meddle too much. And an almost bottomless stable of IP to farm in new and interesting ways.

It all makes sense from a business standpoint, and theoretically looks good on paper. This doesn't mean that my childhood is not sitting in the back of my head screaming in anguish at the thought of being raped by the evil disney overlords once again.

• hankurohankuro Member Posts: 1

Well this will probably mean dumb cartoons like spiderman:for kids! (Im talking about kid cartoon's with bad voice acting) and punisher will be gone and so will all the other mature comic heroes. Then the'll have a Marvel Online mmo with (Aproval of name) and blocks words like apple and nutz lol. I think so a total of kid crap will happen.

But if I was marvel I would probably take the deal (4 billion lol) sweet deal when your talking money wise.