Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rated BGs will prove how arena does take skill.

ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Because, I can bet my house that 2600+ Eurocomp players could pretty much get top ranked in BGs doing 5v10 WSGs. Then people will finally realise that it wasn't the FOTM setups, gear or pillars that held them back from gaining a decent rating in arena.

Comments

• Remii718Remii718 Member Posts: 164

Who says Arena players lack skill? These forums!?!?!? LOL!!!!! These guys are not in touch with reality.

I've been trying arena with a Warrior, DK, Resto Shaman 3v3 team and we can't break 1900. The teams in my battlegroup are freaking awesome.

Back in the day players that would create super premades in BGs were just as awesome.

You will have two types of rated bg teams, those that stick together and play throughout the whole season and the "LFM pvpers for BG premade" those LFG/LFM semi pug teams will get owned. Only good thing about a "Pug bg group" is that they wont lose rating if they lose so it's much more casual friendly than arena.

Now all we need is a Pug version of 5v5 arena (Begs blizz).

We have instanced Bgs, Xp through pvp, Xp shut off for twinks, 3v3/5v5 arena, contested zones (world pvp in a seemless world with no load times on pvp servers) and Pvp zones with pvp objectives like wintergrasp and even old zones for leveling characters (Epl,silithus,HF,terrokkar, halaa).

I find it funny that people on this forums say WoW has terrible pvp, as a guy whos leveled a character on a pvp server I can tell you I've had just as much pvp action in wow than I did in DAoC.

Only thing we need now is an alliance system to go along with guild leveling and alliance capturable landmarks in Azeroth.

Blizzard give us territorial pvp and it's over.

Oh and to the "hardcore pvpers" no a good pvp system doesn't need FFA full loot lol! That shit died with UO when trammel came out.

Playing: WoW, EvE

Interested in: TOR, ER, GW2, WoD, Dust514

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Skilled players will always do better than non skilled players.

Wow does a pretty decent job balancing so that any class has a chance to kill any other class, especially for a PvE heavy game.

Wow isn't balanced for arena combat and some classes [or combinations of classes] have an edge over others.

There are flaws in wows arena system and I am sure there will be just as many in the rated battleground system.  After some tweaking I expect it to be a pretty good system that rewards players for their actions and is fun for people who don't enjoy arenas, but it won't be perfect.

I'm not sure it will prove that arena takes skill though.  Not to say it doesn't, but not sure this will clear up peoples misconception about success in arenas not being skill based.

• Remii718Remii718 Member Posts: 164

I think WoW is much more balanced for medium size pvp (BG's).

It's not easy to balance a class for pvp and still keep them viable in pve. yet blizzard is the one Dev that has done a good job.

Before anyone jumps up and down screaming Aion, That game isn't out yet here so I have no comment.

Playing: WoW, EvE

Interested in: TOR, ER, GW2, WoD, Dust514

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Thenarius

Because, I can bet my house that 2600+ Eurocomp players could pretty much get top ranked in BGs doing 5v10 WSGs. Then people will finally realise that it wasn't the FOTM setups, gear or pillars that held them back from gaining a decent rating in arena.

mm the one that played 50 game and won 48 will still be on the top unless they dont play all bracket(3v3,2v2,5v5)

that will be a major change lot were rated by just doing 2v2 wich like other pro-player said wasnt fair to the real ranking

now it WILL be way harder to be ranked

it will never be luck that put a bunch of player in top 100 it will be the best 

now that being said ,there are a lot more player that like good old war style pvp 

i mean verious place like wsg,wintergrasp etc hell blizzard could pit 3000 vs 3000 tomorrow morning  if there was a way

problem right now techno isnt there, its a shame because thats where we see most pvp its not arena very few elitist play arena

• UsedManateeUsedManatee Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

problem right now techno isnt there, its a shame because thats where we see most pvp its not arena very few elitist play arena

You're absolutely right, let me send a few records to Blizzard.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself... on topic: I think the OP is right, and would love to find a steady BG team if I had the time.  About the only thing I've done lately are some WG's if I happen to be on at the right time.  Any pre-made using voice comms is going to win every single time, unless they're versus another premade on voice.)

How dare you present him with logic! Don't you understand? He fights epic fights, in epic games, with epic toons....eats epic food and takes epic dumps! He has more e..pic..icity...ness in his little finger than you have in your whole unepic body! - ChicagoCub

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Skilled players will always do better than non skilled players.
    Wow does a pretty decent job balancing so that any class has a chance to kill any other class, especially for a PvE heavy game.
    Wow isn't balanced for arena combat and some classes [or combinations of classes] have an edge over others.

There are flaws in wows arena system and I am sure there will be just as many in the rated battleground system.  After some tweaking I expect it to be a pretty good system that rewards players for their actions and is fun for people who don't enjoy arenas, but it won't be perfect.

I'm not sure it will prove that arena takes skill though.  Not to say it doesn't, but not sure this will clear up peoples misconception about success in arenas not being skill based.

This^

The problem with Arena is that it isn't PUG friendly like Battle Ground games are.   We cant just queue up when we want to like BG are. Arena requires Online and readied time periods for teammates to play together.

And the other problem is that Arena player get the better gear, which could be used to dominate BG player who likely have no other way to get any competive form of PvP gear.

and WoW's PvP is just not balanced around small scale PvP.

it works in games like Guild Wars, because that game lacks any form of Large Scale gameplay, which makes it easier to balance small group play.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

OP: 10/10 !
    Then they will say the rating system sucks, or the BG classes suck, or it is no world pvp.
    In 99.9999% of the case it is the player that sucks.

Oh so they finally have some class balance then? I was wondering when they would do that as after 5 yrs i was starting the think they had forgotten about that aspect of making a decent pvp game.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Then they will say the rating system sucks, or the BG classes suck, or it is no world pvp.

Oh so they finally have some class balance then? I was wondering when they would do that as after 5 yrs i was starting the think they had forgotten about that aspect of making a decent pvp game.

Compared to what game?  Wows has far better balance than any game I can think of in both pve and pvp. 

Every class and spec is viable for every role in pve and my group/raid is not pigeon holed into needing a specific class/spec for something.  In pvp I have a decent chance of killing any other class I might encounter.  Wow is one of the most balanced games on the market.

Those are things I have almost never found in other mmos, even if they were strickly pvp or pve focused. 

You oversized generalizations are getting a bit stale these days.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by grandpagamer

Compared to what game?  Wows has far better balance than any game I can think of in both pve and pvp. 

Every class and spec is viable for every role in pve and my group/raid is not pigeon holed into needing a specific class/spec for something.  In pvp I have a decent chance of killing any other class I might encounter.  Wow is one of the most balanced games on the market.

Those are things I have almost never found in other mmos, even if they were strickly pvp or pve focused. 

You oversized generalizations are getting a bit stale these days.

Blizz has been nerfing toons and making others stronger with patches all along. They do it in rotation. If you dont like your toon just wait and it will get its turn but be warned as it will also have its neft turn as well. But thats just in general.

• LogothXLogothX Member Posts: 245

In the end, it won't make you any less of a douche bag and this "skill" is laughed at in any real competitions.

Seriously, get over it.