Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting and Economy in WoW

I'm thinking about buying the game but I've been wondering what the crafting and economic system in the game are like? I'm a veteran of E&B (RIP), EVE and SWG, 3 pretty different economical structures, so as to keep matters simple can anyone tell me which of those 3 games WoW's economy is most similar to? Is it just put it up for auction and wait? or Can you open a shop-front and post advertisements around towns? or do you just sell it to NPC vendors for set prices? Also is the crafting just like, get 2 pieces of hide and you get a shoe, or is it you need specific types of hides to make specific shoes, and there are diverse levels of quality to the finished product?

Yeah I know this was a pretty lengthy question but some help would be greatly appreciated, and please don't just say "Just go out and buy it"

Thanks in advance

life is like a yo-yo it has its ups and downs, but my yo-yo fell on the ground

Comments

• flyngtrmptflyngtrmpt Member Posts: 227

Ok, I don't know which one it compares to because I never played the other games. Now you can sit in the trade channel in one of the towns and tell people what you're selling until someone responds. A lot of people however have been using the auction method. Put it up in the auction and the money will be mailed to you when it gets sold. You can sell it to NPCs at set prices and sometimes thats the quickest option. You do need specific hides to make specific shoes, and there will be different types of thread and all that kind of stuff in order to make specific items. You get recipies for different items and they have set qualities and require specific ingredients. It makes sense that the higher lvl recipies yield higher quality items.

Hope that answers most of your question.

~Flyngtrmpt

Koglar - Tauren Shaman - Bloodhoof Server - US EAST - WoW

Give me a shout in game for some cow stomping fun!!

~Flyngtrmpt

Mattimeo - Officer in Light Brigade - Daggerspine

Dwarf Rogue

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

No mate. You cant own shops like in SWG:/

Crafting is pretty simple.

WoW is totally action focused. It is centered around loot and quest rewards instead of most crafted items.

Proffesions/trade skills/economy is not very deep mate:( Sorry.

If your a crafter, I still think SWG has the best system.

WoW should have the same sort of resources management and crafted items, which should be able to be better or just as good as any drop in the world:) And then add player housin and proper advertising:)

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

WoW's crafting and trade system is best described as "not unnecessarily complicated".

Creating mid to high-level items can be very deep, but the difference is that for once you don't feel like you're wrestling with the game designers when you make, buy, or sell something. This just adds to the overall immersive effect.

Of course people who have an emotional grudge against WoW and very little experience of it (or none at all) will post that it's "simple" and "for kids" etc etc blah blah blah... but I'd recommend finding out for yourself.

Look at this thread! Apparently some guy... a one man amy machine is running most of the economy on his server alone: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=525445&p=1&tmp=1#post525445

fire - I disagree.

Crafting is not a strong spot of WoW.

SWG is not complicated either. It had just 10.000 times as more depth, interaction and open ended playstyle.

Of course it requires dedication to run your own shop, business, advertise, getting high quality resources, managing harvesters, getting cloths with bonus to crafting food/drinks/furnitures/structures/armor/cloth/weapon/vehicles/space ships/houses/cloned pets/droids and so on!

WoW is not kiddie - Why should it be "Kiddie"? But I think it is relativly simple. It does not have enouge depth to be a class of it's own.

The selection is great, but unfortunate crafted items can't compete with hugh level drops:(

You dont have allot of crafting options. Like changing visual effects, having just as many factors considered into making great items.

With that being said, it is great that WoW has items which benefit the player from the get go! This actually a first! In SWG you had to make a 14.000 useless barrels before you could be a master weaponsmith and have fun and compete. And that took many many weeks of mindless grinding!

Also I think gathering items like mining is great fun! Slick and beautiful animationsimage

Originally posted by pingo

fire - I disagree.
    SWG is not complicated either. It had just 10.000 times as more depth, interaction and open ended playstyle.
    Of course it requires dedication to run your own shop, business, advertise, getting high quality resources, managing harvesters, getting cloths with bonus to crafting food/drinks/furnitures/structures/armor/cloth/weapon/vehicles/space ships/houses/cloned pets/droids and so on!
    WoW is not kiddie - Why should it be "Kiddie"? But I think it is relativly simple. It does not have enouge depth to be a class of it's own.
    The selection is great, but unfortunate crafted items can't compete with hugh level drops:(
    You dont have allot of crafting options. Like changing visual effects, having just as many factors considered into making great items.
    With that being said, it is great that WoW has items which benefit the player from the get go! This actually a first! In SWG you had to make a 14.000 useless barrels before you could be a master weaponsmith and have fun and compete. And that took many many weeks of mindless grinding!
    Also I think gathering items like mining is great fun! Slick and beautiful animations

I guess there are two ways to look at it. But I'm also guessing you're not a very high level yet, as your claim there's little depth to the crafting system doesn't correlate anywhere close to my experience with it.

Your comparisons with SWG are interesting though, since SWG is generally regarded as one of the greatest failed abominations in the history of the MMORPG genre. EVE is the best example I've seen of a truly player-run economy.

Double post ::::32::

• SaranumSaranum Member UncommonPosts: 95

Originally posted by firemagic
    WoW's crafting and trade system is best described as "not unnecessarily complicated".Creating mid to high-level items can be very deep, but the difference is that for once you don't feel like you're wrestling with the game designers when you make, buy, or sell something. This just adds to the overall immersive effect.Of course people who have an emotional grudge against WoW and very little experience of it (or none at all) will post that it's "simple" and "for kids" etc etc blah blah blah... but I'd recommend finding out for yourself.

For adventurers who want to make easy money on the go, or just want to play with it while fighting,(ie as additional funny feature to the normal adventuring) this might be true, but for people who want to focus their play experience soly on crafting, it is shallow, and unfortunately you have almost no chance if you don't kill monsters etc. And I miss a purely player base economy ...

----------------------------------------
    Evil UO has doomed my poor soul, and now I'm wandering restlessly through all MMORPG's desperately searching for a place to rest in peace.....

Evil UO has doomed my poor soul and now I'm wandering restlessly through all MMORPG's, desperately searching for a place to rest in peace.....

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

Crafting is very "easy". So easy, that pretty much everyone does it. Why? Well, a gathering skill(skinning, mining, etc.) is an extremely good way to make money. And if you have the materials to craft, then you might as well craft. Pretty much... it's good for the people that don't usually craft in a game, but not good for the people who look for a deep crafting system(firemagic could say what he want, but IMO the crafting system is not very deep at all, and it is very "easy").

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

Originally posted by jimothypetro
    Crafting is very "easy". So easy, that pretty much everyone does it. Why? Well, a gathering skill(skinning, mining, etc.) is an extremely good way to make money. And if you have the materials to craft, then you might as well craft. Pretty much... it's good for the people that don't usually craft in a game, but not good for the people who look for a deep crafting system(firemagic could say what he want, but IMO the crafting system is not very deep at all, and it is very "easy").

Yes, it's easy - it's easily accessible, and why not?

And yes, it's deep - an overcomplicated interface doesn't make a crafting system "deep", it makes it "overcomplicated".

And what's wrong with everyone being able to craft? We all need an in-game income, right? Why seclude a huge part of the game to only "hardcore" players? If you're a "hardcore" player, then you'll be better at crafting than the next guy, right?

Every time I see that pic of Mr. T he looks like he's about to burst into tears because someone disagrees with you.

• SaranumSaranum Member UncommonPosts: 95

Yes, it's easy - it's easily accessible, and why not?And yes, it's deep - an overcomplicated interface doesn't make a crafting system "deep", it makes it "overcomplicated".And what's wrong with everyone being able to craft? We all need an in-game income, right? Why seclude a huge part of the game to only "hardcore" players? If you're a "hardcore" player, then you'll be better at crafting than the next guy, right?Every time I see that pic of Mr. T he looks like he's about to burst into tears because someone disagrees with you.

Hm I don't want a complicated interface or play minigames, but I want to have many more variables, like really using different technics (ie. different stiching patterns for cloths, etc)

Nothing is wrong with that basically, but obviously this dilutes the whole Crafting Proffession as it
    isn't viable to be a pure Crafter, cause every adventurerer can make the same additionally to the adventurer earnings and is practically 2times better.

Evil UO has doomed my poor soul, and now I'm wandering restlessly through all MMORPG's desperately searching for a place to rest in peace.....

Evil UO has doomed my poor soul and now I'm wandering restlessly through all MMORPG's, desperately searching for a place to rest in peace.....

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Everyone is right.

Real crafters wont be happy in WoW.  Crafting in WoW is done so everyone craft(which is not bad in itself), but it lack ''high end crafting''.  Worser then that, ''high end crafting'' pass throught been an adventurer.

Only a warrior should be able to make the best warrior items or support a crafter in doing them(making a sword sharp is not enought, you need to have inputs from the warrior during the creation process, be it you or another), no arguing there, but crafting should be much more then just doing items to use as an adventurer.

And non-crafters should never feel under the obligation to find a PC crafter, there should be a NPC with slightly overpriced items always availables if they need them at all.

But again, we are talking about a game that make the adventuring ''high end'' raid oriented exclusively, so what do you expect exactly from such a team?

- "Solo is, will always be, the main market. A MMORPG that succeed with little or no solo appeal is doing great considering they are ignoring the main player base.''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• necbonenecbone Member Posts: 358

yur deciding if you wanna buy? wtf, just buy it....

but the economic situation is somewhat reliable....just understand the variables and you'll make some gold

all crafting systems are going to somewhat suck and they should never be the defining reason on buying or playing a game....

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

[quote]Originally posted by firemagic
    [b]

Originally posted by jimothypetro

Yes, it's easy - it's easily accessible, and why not?

And yes, it's deep - an overcomplicated interface doesn't make a crafting system "deep", it makes it "overcomplicated".

It's not deep at all. It is a very simple interface, yes, but in most cases you just go the auction house, buy item X and Y, and watch the little bar fill up to make item Z. That's it.

And what's wrong with everyone being able to craft? We all need an in-game income, right? Why seclude a huge part of the game to only "hardcore" players? If you're a "hardcore" player, then you'll be better at crafting than the next guy, right?

Crafting should be something that sets you apart, not something that brings you up to par with other people. Being a hardcore player doesn't mean I'll be better at crafting either... if someone had the money they could max out their crafting skill in a day starting from level 1.

Every time I see that pic of Mr. T he looks like he's about to burst into tears because someone disagrees with you.

You got me. Every time someone disagrees with me Mr. T cries.

Originally posted by pingo

fire - I disagree.
    Also I think gathering items like mining is great fun! Slick and beautiful animations

I guess there are two ways to look at it. But I'm also guessing you're not a very high level yet, as your claim there's little depth to the crafting system doesn't correlate anywhere close to my experience with it.

Your comparisons with SWG are interesting though, since SWG is generally regarded as one of the greatest failed abominations in the history of the MMORPG genre. EVE is the best example I've seen of a truly player-run economy.

I played SWG for a year. And quite frankly I am pretty tired of the bashin. SWG is still running with decent reviews + its expansion which has gotten hugh praise for being more than just an extension with the useually added class/area/race! It is also still one of the most succesful MMORPGs out there, has gone through the biggest changes of any MMO ever, in both good(player cities, vehicles, hugh revamps) and bad(jedi:/)! It has allot of people running!

Also may I mind you that SWG is probably one of the most hyped of PC games of all time.

I will surely agree with you from a combat and use of licenes stand point of view. SWG is a hugh failure in these areas, and WoW excels in both these! Great balance, fun combat, great use of warcraft world!

But I will simply not agree with you wants it comes to crafting.

In SWG you could start out as an artisan. And then you could take a path or more paths; Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, Architect, Chef, Tailor, Droid Engineer, Ship Wright, ,Merchant or/and Master Artisan.

The economy was totally player driven. Pretty much everything was made by the players. All the foods. All the houses. All the cloth/armor/weapons/buffs.

All these needed resources. Scouts getting animal hides! Artisans using hugh mining stations(harvesters)!

Then the crafter could start making a business. Either sell them on the public auction house or make one in his own house and put up a cool NPC vendor Which would say something once people entered.

Then the player would of course have to craft and sell at good prices. But also to inform. maybe using droids to advertise!

Just the abillity to plant your own shop. To effect the economy, to have so much depth and complexity to make items with stats that are extremely uniqe to you based on your resources stat/skill/experimentation/crafting tool/attachment and so much more! Items in SWG was simply a revolution because of its resources system!

As I said before it required a HUGH amount of dedication and because of player requests players would constantly have to keep deadlines. To some of the most popular crafters who had to play something like 10 hours a day minimum, it became a chore instead of fun! Thats how deep the economy and competitive level in SWG was!

Alone the fact that every single player is depended on the crafters items and there is no loot makes crafters having a much more deep and serious interaction within the world!

I simply don't think that WoW has that advantage. When it comes to crafting.

And so what! Blizzard always said that this game was geared towards combat and killing and not community and crafting. And that is alright mate. WoW knows it's audience!

As the other mates in here said. WoW is simply not deep, has little complexity and variation, but it is fast, fun and cool. It just does not hold up in the long run:)

I hope an tree house builder class/fletcher could be made as a class/proffesion in a future expansion:)

• chinesewaterboychinesewaterboy Member Posts: 14

ok thanks for all the input everyone, it was very helpful and I'm glad all 6 stores I went to today were sold out of everything WoW related haha, gave me a bit more time to read all the posts. I was pretty astounded by the post about the guy on Blackhand who was running essentially a monopoly on all items, how many players are on the servers that one person can buy out 90% of the auction board? I read some post where one guy was saying 400-500 per server and another said thousands. Well I think I'm gonna get WoW once the stores restock and play the 30 days first and see how it is, from what you've all told me it really makes me nostalgic for the good ol' days of SWG before the credit duping and the 50 million credit weapons haha, just me, my newbie crafting tool and a whole lotta cupa hide haha.

Well again, thanks for being so elaborate, it was a huge help since I hadn't found much info on WoW fan sites or forums relating this specifically to the economical structure, from what I've read it seems most like the EnB system. One last question, in WoW can crafters disassemble looted items to learn the recipe and then re-create them with the proper elements later on like in EnB? or is there a limited number of recipes that are only learned through level progression?

life is like a yo-yo it has its ups and downs, but my yo-yo fell on the ground

Great choice mate.

WoW deserves to be experienced nomatter what kind of game you are. Very good descision.

Yeahh... Im getting almost SWG nostolgic aswell.. Back in the old days.. Before Jedi:/

I can tell you what though mate.

Player housing and that sort of stuff is further planned down the road. I think we just we need to give the game time. The economy needs to evolve and many of the battle.net kids/l1337 pvpers need to learn that this is not Diablo anymore:)

At that point I think that economy wise the game will flourish.

WoW is such a great building block for almost unlimited potential. It is this great structure ready to be build upon:) Possibilities are endless...:)