Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Open Beta Client Available for Download!

2»

Comments

• DundenDunden Member Posts: 4

It seems to me that people have forgotten what Beta Testing is all about. Their test to see how their game is going to play out. It isn't as much test to see how it will run our machines or to see if we want to consider forking over our money into their game.  Great sites like this offer a plethora of information which should give you enough knowledge to make a well informed decision whether this is the game for you.  Still, I'm glad companies do keep us in mind and offer us chances like this.  I think ncsoft has earned the rite to set a few ground rules for their open beta. It IS open because the only thing restricting you from playing is either paying for a subscription from fileplanet(or another site) or buying their game. It is in your control whether you can play or not. Some people subscribe to these sites specifically for exclusive rites to things like this.

I remember Beta Testing back when it was about actually testing a game and giving regular feedback to developers. I think these freebie MMOs have made people soft.

• OutlawfencerOutlawfencer Member Posts: 10

Agreed.

Beta testing just isn't same anymore. It used to be a privilege to get in, and to help mold the launch version, but now people feel like it's their right to play the game for free. 

Oh for the days when testing was for testing, and not free play.

• CyrosphereCyrosphere Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Outlawfencer

Agreed.
    Beta testing just isn't same anymore. It used to be a privilege to get in, and to help mold the launch version, but now people feel like it's their right to play the game for free. 
    Oh for the days when testing was for testing, and not free play.

I won't disagree, but paying someone to test their product I find equally ludicrous.

Remember, it has to be fun to be a game. Grinding is a bedroom activity, and the point is definitely not to do my wife as fast as possible.

• DrChickenDrChicken Member Posts: 263
    Originally posted by Dunden

It seems to me that people have forgotten what Beta Testing is all about. Their test to see how their game is going to play out. It isn't as much test to see how it will run our machines or to see if we want to consider forking over our money into their game.  Great sites like this offer a plethora of information which should give you enough knowledge to make a well informed decision whether this is the game for you.  Still, I'm glad companies do keep us in mind and offer us chances like this.  I think ncsoft has earned the rite to set a few ground rules for their open beta. It IS open because the only thing restricting you from playing is either paying for a subscription from fileplanet(or another site) or buying their game. It is in your control whether you can play or not. Some people subscribe to these sites specifically for exclusive rites to things like this.

I remember Beta Testing back when it was about actually testing a game and giving regular feedback to developers. I think these freebie MMOs have made people soft.

I agree with you completely, except for this little statement. Are you completely excluding the need for software/hardware optimization? I would say that this is a major component of beta testing: to see how the game engine runs on a wide variety of hardware, and to fix any glaring compatibility and/or optimization issues before launch.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Neither me nor any of my friends gets more than * 40 kb/s through ANY source atm. Fileplanet, Torrent, Launcher, its a mess. Pretty much Jim, Joe and everyone's mom is downloading it, so it's a crawl. Not to speak that the launcher always restarts when you stop your 6+3 GB anywhere.

Given the fact I already paid the game to NCSoft I would have expected some more support in terms of download speed. I am so disappointed about them.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by FreedomBlade

Yipee yet another EQ clone with shitty point and clicky combat. Just what we needed !
    When are people going stop buying into the crap that the games companies are putting out.

Don't play it then man...LOL

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• RidahRidah Member Posts: 1

I just downloaded the full client in 44 minutes at 3.5MB per sec from the link below;

http://www.gamearena.com.au/downloads/details.php/aion-open-beta-client

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Pawpower1995

Well that just turned me off.  I was thinking of looking at this game, but if you have "pay" for the open beta, not going to do it.  Good luck with your game experience.

Have you all been living in caves? when's the last time you remember an Open Beta being that.... an actual Open Beta...

Champions Online OPEN BETA just ended, guess what.... pre order too ;)

welcome to the future.... i swear some people live under rocks, when it comes to keeping up with the current market. Not that i care, it's not like i paid anything when i preordered CO and i got the open beta and the headstart offer for free :) got to love the ability to cancel without any obligation

at least with Aion i'm looking forward to it. (although i avoided CB6, i didn't see much point in that one)

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913

Do anyone know if it is a point and click combat game like all the other poorhouse productions ?

I hate when i cant move with the usualy keybord controles 

• dj60169dj60169 Member Posts: 7

9gb

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Dunden

this is not Beta, this is "Open Beta" which is an entirely different thing.  If the views were related to closed beta sessions dating back to several months that I would agree, but they are related to the state of the game that's due to launch.

Open Beta is a marketing tactic.  It's a means to spread the game's existence through word of mouth. 

But I do agree that too many get into Closed Beta, which is actualy the testing and improvment phase, thinking it's a preview of the game.  What's worse is where you have some e-idiot thinking that cause they were in "beta" they are warranted the right to claim a game is crap when they really don't know their heads from their asses when relating to "This Game is Not Finished". 

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

Yipee yet another EQ clone with shitty point and clicky combat. Just what we needed !
    When are people going stop buying into the crap that the games companies are putting out.

When are you going to find something to do with your free time other than play MMO's? 

It's obvious that's where the genre is at the moment and what most people want to play.  If you don't like it, don't play it.  If enough people feel the same way you do, eventually the genre will change.

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

obviously you have not played this game if you think it has point and click combat...

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Psycrovv

Do anyone know if it is a point and click combat game like all the other poorhouse productions ?
    I hate when i cant move with the usualy keybord controles 

You can do both.  First thing I did was disable the click-to-move thing, since I hate it.

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

• croselcrosel Member Posts: 12

Ga, ive downloaded the client but was unable to get my hands on a beta key, everywhere i look they've run out!

Only option left is to pre order, isnt it?  >.<

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'm a bit confused. I thought "open beta" means "everyone and his grandma can join the fray". But now I read there "get one of the keys" and I only saw some for fileplanet subscrbers. I'm not sure what it has to do with an open beta if I have to pay for it, or do I miss something?

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• croselcrosel Member Posts: 12

The Open beta is actually an Open Closed Beta as some people are putting it lol

In other words, you need a key in order to participate in "Open Beta". Only way i know you can get a key now is by pre ordering...

So its not actually an open beta

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by maji

I'm a bit confused. I thought "open beta" means "everyone and his grandma can join the fray". But now I read there "get one of the keys" and I only saw some for fileplanet subscrbers. I'm not sure what it has to do with an open beta if I have to pay for it, or do I miss something?

Actually....what you describe there is not an open beta but a FREE TRIAL. They are different things. Not all games offer a free trial after release, but....they should. Betas, whether "open" or "closed," or something in between, are usually burdened with SOME sort of stipulation as to whom can "get in."

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ReakZReakZ Member Posts: 15

I got a bit happy when I heard it would be a open beta, I've heard good things about Aion, but then again, most people says about every Asian mmo is awesome while WoW suck, it looks cool and all that but I don't expect too much.

One thing I know for sure is that I certianly will not pay to play this goddamn *OPEN BETA* which in my eye's are only another way for NCsoft/Fileplanet to get money, I'd kil myself before doing that.

But then again, there just might be a site which give out them for free "TOO EVERYONE", only time will tell.

• brianw1brianw1 Member UncommonPosts: 59

At the 6th of september, I thought it was coming out at 22nd of september.im realy confuse T.T

• Kram59Kram59 Member Posts: 153
    Originally posted by ReakZ

I got a bit happy when I heard it would be a open beta, I've heard good things about Aion, but then again, most people says about every Asian mmo is awesome while WoW suck, it looks cool and all that but I don't expect too much.

One thing I know for sure is that I certianly will not pay to play this goddamn *OPEN BETA* which in my eye's are only another way for NCsoft/Fileplanet to get money, I'd kil myself before doing that.

But then again, there just might be a site which give out them for free "TOO EVERYONE", only time will tell.

I think "killing" one'self, might bit a bit extreme. I think if you pay Fileplanet 7 dollars for a month subscription, and maybe skipping going to MacDonld's one time you can get that much entertainment value. What do you think?

King of the world

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

To those of you who have played the CB.  You NEED to download the 3gb patch to upgrade to the 1.5 OB version.  The CB launcher won't patch it to 1.5 by itself.

Also I had no problem downloading the patch, the download speed seemed to be fine for me.  I used the torrent from the official Aion website.  I don't like Fileplanet...

I know some people have mixed feelings about paying to play CB or OB.  I can understand the reasoning, why would anyone want to pay to test someone's product?  Although for the price of about a cup of coffee from Starbucks, you'll be able to get a key and play the game to see if you like it or not.  I don't think it's really that bad.  (You pay $5 for the pre-order then you get a key and if you don't like it then you can just walk away without actually buying the full version of the game).    I know some of you will still say "why do I want to pay that $5?" ...I really can't argue with that but for me I think it's a good and cheap way to try out a game before deciding whether I want to pay the full price for it.