Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you playing? and why I should try it

surstromingsurstroming Member UncommonPosts: 151

I've been looking for a new mmorpg for quite some time now and i can't find anything that fits my needs.

last game i played and enjoyed was WoW, I don't play it anymore cuz the expansion ruined it.

I have probably tried all the free games and a few trials on the high hype games but it wasn't what i have been looking for.

btw the hype system on this site lies!

so i need to ask random ppl and this is the best place to do that ( or maybe not since ppl who already have a game to play rarely ends up on the  "LF game forum")

f2p or p2p doesn't matter.

Comments

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

Aion comes out September 22nd and looks like it is amazing.  I know I am gonna get it.

• Peregrine2Peregrine2 Member Posts: 169

I am playing Everquest 2. I love this game because of its complexity and its depth - there is a great and helpful community, lots of great quests to do and places to explore, and you have a wide array of classes and races to choose from in making your character.

• GlaiveGlaive Member Posts: 10

I am playing Ragnarok Online on kRO. Many things have been changed recently. They are called "Renewal System". First of all, it is worth to point out that ragnarok is now less grindy. Experience required to level up was drastically reduced. Max base level was extended to 150 and max stats are now 120.  3rd jobs (Ranger, Rune Knight, Warlock, Ministrel/Wanderer, etc.) were introduced. There are even instances ex. Endless Tower. You should definitely wait for renewal to hit iRO or euRO and start playing it or you can join kRO server if you don't mind korean language. =)

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Is RO F2P or P2P?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

It was P2P, now it's F2P

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • AbalisAbalis Member Posts: 48

I play a "little" game called Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.  Whatever you might have heard about the launch debacle, today's VG is a much different beast.  It's a very, very playable beast, and that might be what you hear most about VG in comparison to its launch.  Another issue brought up by others is the lower population in the game, which has been steadily improving.

I have never had problems finding other people in this game...but you should be aware that you will need to network a little to find consistent group experiences.  There are PUG's...my friend and I joined one the other day...but having a friend come along, using the chat channels and social window ("O" key), and even joining a guild, will help.  Yes, I have seen many characters on the servers at various level ranges.  Not everyone is sitting at the level cap. ;)

Of course, the more people who play, the fewer "population issues" there will be.  And the more people who play, the more resources will be available for faster and more frequent game updates (yes, VG has already received a great deal of free content despite the lack of resources).

I will say right now...I have never experienced or read about another MMO (newly released or in development) that could touch the PvE experience that VG offers, save perhaps for a few classics that are well known.  I came from EQ2...as much as I enjoyed that game, once I got into VG, well...let's just say I know I could never go back.  VG has set a bar that most other games would be hard-pressed to match.  VG has often been described and likened as the true spiritual successor to the original Everquest.  I'm sure any MMO player worth their salt knows of that game. ;p I suppose it has something to do with many former EQ staff members having designed and developed VG.

VG's world, Telon, is MASSIVE.  Travel, and sprawling wilderness, and deep exploration, and unique dungeons, and multitudes of quests, and so on and so forth are all an integral part of VG.  The world is open; there are practically no instances, zones, or limitations on where you can or cannot go.  The cities are massive, towns/villages/camps are more realistically spread throughout the world.

If you don't want a game that holds your hand through everything, you'll love VG.  I mean that in all sincerity; you will need to pay attention to quests and instructions because of the complexity of some of the systems. 

If you love a beautiful world full of interesting ruins and dungeons to explore, you will love VG.  And there are dungeons and POI's galore, but you will need to find them.

If you are intrigued by the idea of fully player-controlled flying mounts, not trapped on rails, but able to be directed by the player on a fully-functional Z-Axis, you will love VG.  There are those you can rent for a specific period of time, or at later levels you can quest/raid/purchase your own.

If the journey is at least as important to you as the destination, you will love VG.  You can create several alts and never experience the same content, if you'd like.  There's so much to do as you level, that it would be a crime if you rushed to level-cap.  In VG, enjoy the journey, because it's worth it.

If you love the idea of massive oceans and player-crafted and -controlled ships, you will love VG.  If you love the idea of a complex and deep crafting system, you will love VG.  It's a deep and complex system and requires strategy and player skill and knowledge to become successful at.  You don't point-and-click and then "poof" you have "Boots of Uberness +10" all in one shot.

If you love the idea of a passionate community largely devoted to being helpful and mature (granted, there are always bad apples, but you can always tell...), you will love VG.  Use the forums and use chat if you have questions or need guidance.  There is almost always someone online willing to help, or try to help. ^^

And I haven't even touched on all the offerings that VG has...these are just a handful that sprang to mind.

And if you can overlook the minor bugs that still exist within the game (obviously I think they can be overlooked, especially with what the game offers the player), and if you are intriqued, at least a little, by what I have posted...I urge you to try VG.  It's free to try the trial island, which gives you a small taste of what to expect on the main continents, and if you decide you do happen to like VG, you don't need to purchase the game.  That's right, you don't purchase the game, you only have to purchase the subscription.

VG is far from dead...but it does need people who are willing to give it a try and (hopefully and better yet) stick with it.  Any population "issues" or resource concerns will fall away if people would do that. :)