Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ToR will be a MMORPG with a light side sith warrior.....

I am blown away again by yet another ToR Video, this interviews Hints yes hints to this AMAZING new MMORPG that will blow all current and yet to come MMORPG games away. In the interview Lead writer Daniel Erickson as I mention first hints at ToR being a MMORPG with the announcing of the Sith warrior class. It was so obvious I could not believe I missed that hint in that Video. I also liked the fact he mentions that the consequences on your choices using the example of say at lvl 8 you decide to kill the Captain of a Imperial ship for disobeying a direct order from a Moff but at lvl 40 the family may take revenge on your kill OMG no MMORPG in my gaming life has ever done this ever. You grind you farmed blah blah.....

At the end of this video he also mention Endgame conteint along with rading OMG this game gets better and better.

Link:

g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/698730/GamesCom-2009-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Interview.html

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

There's no such thing. The Sith are dark side. You must have thought wrong.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Moirae

If you click on the link in the interview there is a hint bout a balance system. And the lead writer made referene or a possible hint at that that yes you could play a Sith Warrior on the light side if you made the right choices in your game play.

• David1001David1001 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Isturi

If you click on the link in the interview there is a hint bout a balance system. And the lead writer made referene or a possible hint at that that yes you could play a Sith Warrior on the light side if you made the right choices in your game play.

I think you have mis-interpreted it a little mate. What he is getting at there is you cannot be truly good as a sith warrior, there are two types of sith warrior is what he is saying.

1) Is the sith warrior that will not stop until he has achieved his goals and wants to dominate the universe will kill and slice up anyone who stands in his way.

2) Is the sith warrior that believes the sith empire is the right thing for the galaxy (not the republic) and will not kill people because they may be useful to him and will use all resources at his disposal to protect the great sith empire :)

Action is the real measure of intelligence.

• MercurialGMercurialG Member UncommonPosts: 50

In the four part video they mentioned about getting light and dark side points for your actions.  He also states that the points will affect your abilities like in the KOTOR series.  So a "light side" Sith will be pretty weak compared to a "dark side" Sith, well at least against the skills that directly relate to being a Sith.

• LordApophisLordApophis Member Posts: 10

Yes, this continues to be a point of confusion for myself and others.

They keep talking about the consequences of your action, and have shown us the difference in choices you can be given. I it leads one to believe that you can run an “evil” or at least badass and remorseless Jedi or a “kinder gentler” Sith.

I would like to see some official clarification on this because if its true as I pointed out in another thread it does make the whole Empire v.s. Republic kind of a Red v.s. Blue thing.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

Remember folks you can go from being evil to good (redemption) as in the case with Darth Vader ( Anakin Skywalker) or Darth Caedus (Jacen Solo). Its not confusing at all. On the flip side your Jedi can go to the dark side with the choices he or she makes.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• DarkShadow74DarkShadow74 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by David1001

I think you have mis-interpreted it a little mate. What he is getting at there is you cannot be truly good as a sith warrior, there are two types of sith warrior is what he is saying.

1) Is the sith warrior that will not stop until he has achieved his goals and wants to dominate the universe will kill and slice up anyone who stands in his way.

2) Is the sith warrior that believes the sith empire is the right thing for the galaxy (not the republic) and will not kill people because they may be useful to him and will use all resources at his disposal to protect the great sith empire :)

This is what I am reading form all of this: The difference in the sith will be like the difference between Emperor Palpatine and Anakin. Where Emperor Palpatine plotted and played a chess game with people, and not killing them until they ran the course that gave him the means to the end of his plan. Or be like Anakin and just go light saber wizzing and slicing without thinking to get what you want. Use brute force make them sumit or die. And the point system will probley be if your a Emperor Palpatine then you get more suddle skills and powers to get people to do what you want. Where as Anakin you get more brutal powers to scare and destory things.

Just my 2 cents in what I read or maybe more of what I am hopeing for.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I don't see the point of a good sith... you may as well play a jedi.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

The developers have said again and again that your allegiance (whether you are Republic or Empire) is not related to your alignment (whether you are dark side, light side or, yes, "grey").

To me that would indicate you can indeed be light side sith warrior or dark side jedi.

The devs saying that you cannot change your faction to Republic but you can be a good guy in the Empire trying to change the system from within also seems to indicate this.

• wardog250wardog250 Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by mbd1968

I don't see the point of a good sith... you may as well play a jedi.

Exactly!  Let's just call things as they are.  I don't see why people want to have a trivial system just so they can have sand boxy feel to their class.  If you want to be a tree huger play a Jedi, if you want to slaughter the innocent play a Sith.  I don't want this to be another SWG with a bunch of Full Dark Side Jedi Knights running around and Full Light Side Sith, who are you trying to kid?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

"Light side sith warrior" I cringed when he said those words in the video (as any Star Wars fan should).

He should have said gray area sith warrior.

Don't worry, Lucasarts isn't going to let them make a "light side" sith.

Originally posted by Krayzjoel
    Remember folks you can go from being evil to good (redemption) as in the case with Darth Vader ( Anakin Skywalker) or Darth Caedus (Jacen Solo). Its not confusing at all. On the flip side your Jedi can go to the dark side with the choices he or she makes.
    Yes you can be redeemed or corrupted, but here is the point: when Darth Vader was redeemed he stopped being a sith.

It would be pretty sweet if you start out as a Jedi but don't like it, through your choices you could completely change your side and class to a sith.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743
    Originally posted by throckmorton

"Light side sith warrior" I cringed when he said those words in the video (as any Star Wars fan should).
    He should have said gray area sith warrior.
    Don't worry, Lucasarts isn't going to let them make a "light side" sith.

Yes you can be redeemed or corrupted, but here is the point: when Darth Vader was redeemed he stopped being a sith.

It would be pretty sweet if you start out as a Jedi but don't like it, through your choices you could completely change your side and class to a sith.

Easy, log out and reroll.

Otherwise people would complain that they lost some whatziz power when they changed over from one side to another.  Seriously, I am in the "WTF ould you want to do that" boat.

If you want to play a good guy, play a Jedi.  If you want to play a bad guy, play Sith.  Either side has shades of gray.  Howwever, that does not mean you are a Dark Jedi or Light Sith.  Those are terms dealing with the later time lines of Star Wars when the Sith were supposedly removed and therefore you were a light or dark jedi.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• RefnuRefnu Member Posts: 140

Jedi <> Good

Sith <> Evil

(<> is not equal to for those that don't know)

This is the big confusion on this. Sith aren't evil and Jedi aren't good. You can be good or evil on either side because good or evil is someone's opinion. Just look at the favorite wow game. Horde and Alliance. Same concept with sith and jedi.

Not that hard

Current: Puzzle Pirates
    Waiting: SWTOR,Aion, CO
    Played: AC, WoW, SB, EVE

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by NovaKayne 
    If you want to play a good guy, play a Jedi.  If you want to play a bad guy, play Sith.  Either side has shades of gray.  Howwever, that does not mean you are a Dark Jedi or Light Sith.  Those are terms dealing with the later time lines of Star Wars when the Sith were supposedly removed and therefore you were a light or dark jedi.

You are right that both sides have shades of gray. You have to keep in mind few things:

1. Both Jedi and Sith are organisational titles. And also relating to population during The Old Republic era.

2. You are either dark side force user or light side force users or something in between.

First you had something like shamans/witches/warlocks who were able to use force. Later these groups became Jedi order during what you could call galaxification (like globalisation). Jedi "faith" was spread very similar to for example Christianity in Dark Ages. But like with the Catholic Church, stray groups were formed, which the Church did not approve. When those groups grew to too much influence, like Cathars in 11th to 13th century Europe, the Church chose to act. The Catholic Church formed inquisition and send out a crusade. Very similar to what happend to pre-Sith era heretics. Many wars were fought, but finally, when driven to near extinction few Jedis, disillusioned by the order, formed their own Empire in the edge of the galaxy, the Sith Empire. You now have a very similar situation to Catholics vs. Protestants as with Siths and Jedis. Northern Ireland is a good example of this.

If you were born to Sith Empire, you were taught from a young age to hate the Old Republic and Jedis. And on the Old Republic side you were taught the opposite. It is no different what people are taught in Iran and the US. See fundamentalist Christians sects vs. fundamentalist Muslim sects, both preach intolerance towards each other. Use of generalisations paint the picture that all Iranians for example are evil, heck in some cases that most arabs are evil. And in Iran, people are taught to hate the Great Satan because it is out to destroy you. Both sides fall into their own trap that starts with intolerance. 

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

If it's anything like KOTOR (it might be since it kinda based on it) then you will have a slider that will move towards light or dark depending on your actions, which will also effect which powers are enhanced.  If you just went around killing people instead of trying to rescue civilians and convert sith, then you would quickly move to the dark side and be kicked from the jedi order.  You could stay somewhere in the middle, but that could make enemies of both sides in the end :P

Sith in kotor is explained as a belief.  You couldn't be sith and a jedi, because they are like opposing religions and I think they should keep it that way or things will get over-complicated.  Mandolorians on the other hand, just go wherever the fight is and since sith start most of them they ride with them :P

I just hope they stick to continuity and don't completely screw things up like SWG did to the point the game makes no sense.

• StuBidasoeStuBidasoe Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by NasherUK

If it's anything like KOTOR (it might be since it kinda based on it) then you will have a slider that will move towards light or dark depending on your actions, which will also effect which powers are enhanced.  If you just went around killing people instead of trying to rescue civilians and convert sith, then you would quickly move to the dark side and be kicked from the jedi order.  You could stay somewhere in the middle, but that could make enemies of both sides in the end :P

Sith in kotor is explained as a belief.  You couldn't be sith and a jedi, because they are like opposing religions and I think they should keep it that way or things will get over-complicated.  Mandolorians on the other hand, just go wherever the fight is and since sith start most of them they ride with them :P

I just hope they stick to continuity and don't completely screw things up like SWG did to the point the game makes no sense.

On this same point if the light and dark side is anything like KOTOR then it will actually penalize you for being a gray sith/jedi.  If you don't go to the edges of dark or light then you may never realize your potential power as a sith or a jedi.  In other words, you won't gain all your powers to be a true sith or jedi without going almost all light or dark.  That was the one problem I had with KOTOR.  A lot of your powers are based on how many light/dark points you have.  I'm ok with force classes getting powers this way but I really hope not all classes in SWTOR will be done this way. 

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by David1001
    Originally posted by Moirae There's no such thing. The Sith are dark side. You must have thought wrong.

You mean you can play a real Sith. (#1)

Or you can play a poser. (#2)

The French refer to them as 'le poseur', I just call them stepping stones on my way to the imperial throne.

lol

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

The original Sith were an alien species that the Dark Jedi reproduced with.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

From what I'm to understand "good" or "bad" is NOT dependant on what actual side you are on. Anyone thats played any type of RPG would understand this.  You can be a sith, but not be "evil" in the sense that you don't kill for the sake of killing.  Same as you can be a "good" jedi but still vow to eradicate the sith.  Kind of how you have choices such as being good/lawful and choices like that.

Instead of actually choosing what you are from the start though (as many people probably would) as most bioware games, you are presented with a number of choices .. kind of like a "moral" test.  

So in essence eventhough you are a "good" sith, it still does not mean that you will be on the side of a jedi. Just as well, how could a jedi trust a bounty hunter when the next day they could get a contract to kill them?  This way it gives you the choice to be morally flexible on both sides without actually changing the ebon flow of opposing "factions"

• PunkrePunkre Member Posts: 92

An interview with the lead writer of SWTOR states that in SWTOR you can be a light sided Sith or Dark sided Jedi, they will effect your powers like in KOTOR but unlike KOTOR he stated they wont make or break your character, "We never want to see LFM Light Sided Jedi, Dark Sided need not apply." as each class will get benefits from either side.

As for the debate its one that kinda got brought over from the swtor forums, In the end your debate is useless as they will have Light sided Sith and Dark Sided jedi, if you are so opposed to this to the core dont buy the game, or just except that this isnt "George Lucas' Star Wars" its Bioware's.

On top of this, this isn't Paladin and Dark/death knights, this is a lot less black and white and alot more shades of gray.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by StuBidasoe

Originally posted by NasherUK

On this same point if the light and dark side is anything like KOTOR then it will actually penalize you for being a gray sith/jedi.  If you don't go to the edges of dark or light then you may never realize your potential power as a sith or a jedi.  In other words, you won't gain all your powers to be a true sith or jedi without going almost all light or dark.  That was the one problem I had with KOTOR.  A lot of your powers are based on how many light/dark points you have.  I'm ok with force classes getting powers this way but I really hope not all classes in SWTOR will be done this way.

That was a good system though, it took a while to get 100% dark of light (if ever) and you had to make the right decisions all the time to keep it. I hope they do keep it like that in TOR, people in the middle using mixed powers should not have the power as a full jedi or sith.

• DexterGrifDexterGrif Member Posts: 35

I don't think he'll be "good" persay, he'll probably be more patient and merciful towards subordinates and others.

Retarded Example: A kitten is stuck in a tree and a little girl asks the Sith Warrior to get it down. Instead of using the force to get the kitten down, like a jedi would, he slices down the tree. The animal is injured of course and the little girls crying and says, "Why did you do that?!".         The Sith Warrior replies "You said for me to get it down, not that you didn't want it hurt."

Poor example I know, buts its all I could think of.

• jonezi92jonezi92 Member Posts: 224

your titles says  "ToR will be a MMORPG with a light side sith warrior....."

havnt you played jedi acadamy or jedi outcast? the two classes wont be the same in the slightest but, can both hit stuff with a lightsabre, i mean sure you both get force powers right? but whos to say they will be the same as each other?

Eg, Dark side can get force choke or force lightening or w/e it is, buy good jedi's can force absorb and heal... an crap.

So i beleave that both classes will be unique aspects that seperate them from their counterparts.

Unless you know, they make all jedi like a warrior and thats it, in wow where they only have 3 talent tree's to be apart from the other 2million warriors in the game.

Bioware isnt soft, they are doing what they do best and taking there time aswell which isnt a bad thing unless your a fanboi, impatient or just a hater waiting to say "I told you so"

Im not a fanboi, but i have played alot of Biowares games and really have enjoyed them,

• patri0tzpatri0tz Member UncommonPosts: 185

Hmm, I didn't get the impression that Jacen had renounced his position as a Sith.  He committed a good deed, yes, but I don't know if that's enough evidence to say he truly changed.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by patri0tz

Hmm, I didn't get the impression that Jacen had renounced his position as a Sith.  He committed a good deed, yes, but I don't know if that's enough evidence to say he truly changed.

Jacen did not get redemption, I think when he died the Sith "mask" he had carried dropped briefly when he called to his loved ones through force. The tragedy of Jacen was that he failed to foresee that in order for his vision to live he had to perish. Only at the end, he realised it. His vision, that was influenced by Vergere, was not evil just different from what Jedi wanted. Even Luke understood this vision when he started to map a new direction for Jedi.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."