Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking Of Joining, But I Have A Few Questions.

Since I am a huge LoTR fan, I have been giving the trial a try for the past few days. I have a few complaints about the gameplay, combat, UI, but nothing too terrible. When I first started, I immediately thought WoW-clone, but now that I am progressing a little, perhaps my assumption is wrong, (then again...)

I just had a few questions from some of the vets around here.

How's the population size?
What's your opinion of the community?
What are some of the features that stand out for you?
What does this MMO do that other's do not? Or is there plenty of cookie cutting going on?
Is this another all combat, all the time kind of MMO, as WoW and many others mainly are?

Your input would be greatly appreciated and may help influence whether or not I purchase the game and become a member of the community.

Thanks.

Comments

• Savag3On3Savag3On3 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Echobe

What does this MMO do that other's do not? Or is there plenty of cookie cutting going on?

Is this another all combat, all the time kind of MMO, as WoW and many others mainly are?

1. The population is ok. It depends on which server you select, mainly. Brandywine is the most populous server, while I think Windfola is one of the smallest servers. Vilya being above Windfola, and the others are moderate.  I personally like Windfola the best.

2. The community is absolutely fantastic. People help eachother all the time, the guilds ("kinships") are very helpful, just an overall friendly community. I've heard horror stories about open chat in other MMOs, LOTRO's is fairly tame.

3. The Cosmetic system. Legendary Weapon system.

4. This MMO adheres to Tolkien's LOTR lore. This is  a large factor for me in that when seeing certain places, NPCs, etc., I become very excited :)

5. No, this MMO is not all combat all the time. In fact, you could spend days crafting, doing silly (and fun!) quests, events, things like that. There's a line of quests called the "Chicken Quests" that you take control of a chicken and your objective is to make it from point A to point B without dying! Definitely a chore going from The Shire to Rivendell as a Lv.1 chicken!

Plenty of other things to do than combat!

Hope this helps! Also see my user gallery for LOTRO pictures that may interest you!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Since I am a huge LoTR fan, I have been giving the trial a try for the past few days. I have a few complaints about the gameplay, combat, UI, but nothing too terrible. When I first started, I immediately thought WoW-clone, but now that I am progressing a little, perhaps my assumption is wrong, (then again...)
    It feels good on Landroval, which is a RP Server, though I am not so much an RP Player, I just like the guild Im in and I find that people joke around, help others or chat normally just like on any other server.

I find the community the most mature of any game I have played to date.

In my opinion, there is nothing in the game that completely stands out feature wise from other games (though I have not reached end game). What separates the game is the story, how polished it is, the community, how many different things you can do (traits, deeds, quests, solo, group, main story line, crafting, fishing, exploring, play music, etc) Everything from the map, the interface, menus, graphics with Direct X10 in an excellent world, music are just extremely well implemented.

If you are looking for a game that is completely different from WOW then this is not the game for you. It borrowed a lot from that game and others as well and improved on many of those features. It is not combat all the time. I am only in combat 40% of the time because I am doing so many other things and chatting so much lol.
    Your input would be greatly appreciated and may help influence whether or not I purchase the game and become a member of the community.
    This game is extremely strong due to the story, the lore, how well implemented and polished it is, the relatively mature community (on my server at least) and the graphics. It is however nothing new in the world of MMOs. I love the game.

Thanks.

There Is Always Hope!

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

1) The population isn't bad, but it's almost entirely high level. It's pretty empty outside of the high level areas

2) Stuck up and very insular. No one ever talks in open chat.

3) Nothing

4) Other than the setting, it's just a cookie cutter MMORPG

5) Well, there's fishing. And maybe if you can find people, they'll talk to you (I've never talked to anyone in the game).

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

1) The population isn't bad, but it's almost entirely high level. It's pretty empty outside of the high level areas
    3) Nothing
    5) Well, there's fishing. And maybe if you can find people, they'll talk to you (I've never talked to anyone in the game).

You need someone to group with trance or what? You're on LandRoval right. I had no trouble. How are you LFG? there are different ways to do it. Maybe We can give ya some advice, or I'll run around with ya if ya want. Maybe you can show me these barren lifeless lands you wonder alone in the dark in. Unless your in the shire...then you're on your own.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

I wouldn't call myself a vet but...

I played on Brandywine and the population was pretty good.

Unfortunately had lag reducing stuff in place which made it unpleasant for me to play during peak hours.

Community was pretty darn good and lots of helpful folk around.

Unfortunately grouping felt like a cheap date to me. People would do what needed to be done, drop group, and leave without saying a word more often than not.

The PvP thing they have is pretty cool.

I also like the combo system..although nearly every time we did the same combo.

The player made music doohicky is pretty fun too. Quite a trip to play Metallica on a lute.

---

Main reason I left the game was due to the grouping situation. People in my kin were more than willing to help with quests when needed, but it was needed way too often. Classic problem in the mid levels when LFG and certain archtypes werent available.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

3) Nothing

Don't know what game this dude played , don't doubt his experiance but its not the same game im subed to. I do agreee with the fact that open chat isn't v chaty, but I like that. There are chat channels that u can join if thats what you want but even so there are v few chuck norris jokes and Barrens chat crap. The community is the best of any mmo I have experianced. most people will take time out to help when u need it. Nobodys stuck up and on my server (Evernight EU) theres a good mix of every lvl. never have any problem finding a group. The classes arn't so cookie cutter as quiet a lot of games on the market but they are by no means sandbox either. It has its own problems but what doesn't? Personaly it blew my mmo jadism away and I found myself reading quest text again and getting involved in the story which was 4 me, a bit a revelation in itself. The lack of pvp and other things to do apart from quest may make it a bit repetitive after a while but its not like a having another day job kind of game and doesn't pretend to be. But at the end of the day it's whatever floats the boat 4 u. Personaly I love it and am having a great time playing it but understand it's not going 2 b forever.

• GolarumGolarum Member Posts: 151

Hello there,

I played LOTRO on release for a couple of months, then quit because of the fact that I was playing so many games at once then came back a year later, played a coupld of months and then quit again, and I resubbed again a couple of months back and am now active in the game. 

The game has a lot of players, it's not WoW or Aion, but you always have people on, servers are always medium to full. The community is amazing, if you have a question, you'll always get an answer. There are a lot of well established kins (guilds) that will take newbies and vets, and will help immensly.

To me what stands out in this game is it's lore. In terms of what features I find interesting, first the legendary weapons that grow with you, the way you can build your weapon is fun.

Deed grinding is a lot of fun, and the fact that you have to work for your higher end skills makes it really good.

Content, there's a lot to do. A ton of quests, and you actually feel like wanting to read the quests, and they're not just kill 10 rats kind of quests or get 20 tails to drop.

Crafting is also lots of fun if you like crafting, it's time consuming which is very positive for me.

I would definitly recommend this game :)

• EchobeEchobe Member Posts: 262

Thanks for your input guys. I went ahead and bought it. Will be giving it a go. See you in game mayhaps.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

2) Stuck up and very insular. No one ever talks in open chat.  I don't know what server you are on but there are plenty of times I wish people would STOP talking in open (OOC) Chat.
    3) Nothing

• MeideMeide Member Posts: 1

Thanks.

1) Population size is quite okay on the populated server. But just like any other MMO, avoid the new or low population server or you would have a problem getting groups. Although the leveling progression of the game is very casual friendly, you won't get very far in the end-game, especially after MoM, if you don't get into an activehardcore kins.

2) The community is generally quite casual and friendly both in the forums and in-game, but there seem to be a significant rise of rude and elitist players after the release of recent MoM expansion. People used to be very helpful interm of grouping in the past, but now more and more players are sticking with their own kins as there is a trend instance difficulty seem to tune to pre-made kinfriend based group rather than casual PUG.

3) The beautiful landscape of Middle-earth is brought to live in this game, so much so that some even believe it is a perfect Middle-earth simulator. There is many breath-taking scenery in the game if your computer is powerful enough to run the game in max setting,  The epic quests offer a very good and well-written lore-based story progression that not many other MMO could come close in standard.

4) There is definitely some similiarity and cookies cutting in this game compare to other popular MMOs, but this game do have it's own uniqueness. For example it's one of the very story driven MMO in the market that has a serious and deep plot. 

5) Before MoM, Lotro is a story driven casual centric MMO, something for non-hardcore MMO players to login for 1~2 hours to have some stress-less fun like crafting, exploration and story questing, while also offer some alternate contents at end-game for the PvP and hardcore raiders. But after the realease of MoM it is starting to become more combat centric and gears centric, introducing more and more repinstance grinds, end-game rewards are centric around group
    aid kind of typical MMO.