Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Willing to spend $9.99 for 30 days of gameplay waiting for Aion or CO?

Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I am not a shill or fanboi of LotRO, but they are currently selling the original and MoM editions for $9.99 including 30 days of gameplay.  I paid full price for both of them.   If you've never played LotRO but were interested in it, this is your chance to get involved.   It's $10.  The bigger servers are humming and they have nerfed earlier gameplay to get you into the meaty stuff faster.   So, if you're wondering what to do while waiting on the game of your choice, give LotRO a try.  Really, I am not a shill or fanboi for LotRO, but a deal is a deal.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Comments

• DafongDafong Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by Skooma2

I am not a shill or fanboi of LotRO, but they are currently selling the original and MoM editions for $9.99 including 30 days of gameplay.  I paid full price for both of them.   If you've never played LotRO but were interested in it, this is your chance to get involved.   It's $10.  The bigger servers are humming and they have nerfed earlier gameplay to get you into the meaty stuff faster.   So, if you're wondering what to do while waiting on the game of your choice, give LotRO a try.  Really, I am not a shill or fanboi for LotRO, but a deal is a deal.

I can't remember the exact circumstances it was a very long time ago, but I got a warning while doing the Beta on their site for arguing with a fan boy and i realised they were more interested in getting pampered and told how great they were then in getting any meaningful feedback from Beta testers.

So I decided that I would keep my money in my pocket and go play something else.  Which I have done.

See no reason to change that now.  Didn't want to give these arrogant idiots the full amount of cash, don't see any reason I would want to give them $10.

Though I will say it gladdens my heart to see that their game is struggling, it is after all just what they deserve.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Dafong

Originally posted by Skooma2

I can't remember the exact circumstances it was a very long time ago, but I got a warning while doing the Beta on their site for arguing with a fan boy and i realised they were more interested in getting pampered and told how great they were then in getting any meaningful feedback from Beta testers.

So I decided that I would keep my money in my pocket and go play something else.  Which I have done.

See no reason to change that now.  Didn't want to give these arrogant idiots the full amount of cash, don't see any reason I would want to give them $10.

Though I will say it gladdens my heart to see that their game is struggling, it is after all just what they deserve.

A warning for trolling???  How odd.

• todayisbluetodayisblue Member Posts: 60

I played the free trial for a couple days. The game seems fine especially for a lotr fan, but once you get out of the starting area the quests start to suck. Perhaps the game gets better after your reach X level, but imo screw that. The servers were definitely not "humming." I played on the one they recommended for newbies and i only saw like 5 people. Also, the login interface pissed me off, but i guess as long as it works that doesn't matter much. in any case, it's $10 because that's the only way turbine will move their product. i'll keep my $10 thank you.

in short, if you're thinking about buying lotro, i suggest you play the free trial first.

• DafongDafong Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

It is a beta test, you supposed to post the stuff you think is wrong or broken, you couldn't do that without being leapt upon by fanboys and as you may have noticed if you read this forum, I am quite happy to argue with anyone (who is sane).

Whether that constitutes trolling or not is really down to interpretation.

What you have just done could be called trolling, depending on your point of view, you have purposely just posted something to illicit a response.....the very definition of trolling in some circles. 

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

It is a beta test, you supposed to post the stuff you think is wrong or broken, you couldn't do that without being leapt upon by fanboys and as you may have noticed if you read this forum, I am quite happy to argue with anyone (who is sane).

What you have just done could be called trolling, depending on your point of view, you have purposely just posted something to illicit a response.....the very definition of trolling in some circles. 

No response was needed. Let me translate your prior post.

Fanboi= Someone who enjoys the game.

Arguing=Trashing the game. Just as you continue to do.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Hafta say, the first few levels are fine, but like 10 through 30ish are just terrible. After that, there were the new quests added past the original release. You can easily tell the difference.  But I enjoy the game as a whole. 

To get warned for "posting a bug", well, that's one thing.  Would like to see the post to see if it was valid or what.

Anyways, the whole bad part of leveling reminds me of Aion.  The first 25 levels are the "lol no fun" part that aion lovers say is needed or something.  That's sort of how LotrO can be.  Of course, Lotro doesn't go from PvE following a strict path through the zone to basically full time PvP.  LotrO is PvE 100% of the game, unless you go to one specific zone.  I do find that funny in Aion.  You do 25ish levels of just PvE, before being thrown into pvp. ah well.

• LogothXLogothX Member Posts: 245

IF the combat wasnt so slow and tedious, this would have been a good deal. Unfortunately; it is.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Lotro is too boring. Worst combat in any mmo.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

From the outside it looks like the perfect mutilation of a great IP. There isn't even real pvp, but the limited monster play..

I never was tempted to give it a shot..

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I'd say he nailed it.  You gave a silly reason why you don't like Lotr and then proceeded to argue when you don't have a leg to stand on.   I beta tested the game and pointed out a bunch of problems I thought the game had with no problems.  You obviously can't argue without letting it get personal, hence the warning.  Instead of learning from it, you constantly repeat your mistake.

Lotr for $10 is a real plus, the game has more content that most of the games out there.  Of course it is not for everyone, especially if you like pvp, although I don't think there are many good pvp games at the moment.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by Draccan

From the outside it looks like the perfect mutilation of a great IP. There isn't even real pvp, but the limited monster play..

Yea it's surprising one of the AoC fanboys would say this. I mean if you call Turbine out for mutilating a great IP, then I'd like to know what you think of what Funcom did. I'm sure they did it just perfect and you will add some mildly bad thoughts about AoC to make it seem like you're neutral. There isn't any real pvp in AoC either by the way, but I know why you didn't see this.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by Rawiz

Originally posted by Draccan

Yea it's surprising one of the AoC fanboys would say this. I mean if you call Turbine out for mutilating a great IP, then I'd like to know what you think of what Funcom did. I'm sure they did it just perfect and you will add some mildly bad thoughts about AoC to make it seem like you're neutral. There isn't any real pvp in AoC either by the way, but I know why you didn't see this.

Well I don't see it either... and I'm not a fan of either game...  /shrug

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

I love LOTRO to be honest, very solid MMO with everything there. The crafting isn't anything amazing (like Vanguard, EQII, or SWG-Pre NGE) but it is solid, and crafted goods are great items. The combat isn't slow at all once you get past level 15-20, which is not hard, most people do it in their first 1-3 days. The PvP is fun, although it is just duels and Monster Play. There's quite a few quests, they're well written and the goals can sometimes be varied, although you will find some "FedEx" and "Pest control" quests. The Storyline quests are very fun though, so are some of the other lines that are not in the storyline, I really love some of the ones in Rivendell.

I paid $20 for the original game, and pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of Mines of Moria for $70, I've also played for 6 months at $15 a month, that's... about $200.

$10 for both games and 30 days is a steal. As for the servers, I play Elemdinar, it's definitely buzzing and alive, Brandywine is also very active (known as the most active server, actually). The new player recommendations, are the least populated servers.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• NivezNivez Member Posts: 93

I had a blast playing this game when all my friends did:) 10 bucks for a game and expansion is a deal. just my 2 cents.

• Perfection66Perfection66 Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Korvenus

Lotro is too boring. Worst combat in any mmo.

This is indeed true, also when i played the trail i hardly saw any people.

This game might have to go F2P to compete with the likes of Aion when it comes out.

Aion v3 "RELOADED" - A glimpse into the future of the MMO genre

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Nivez

I had a blast playing this game when all my friends did:) 10 bucks for a game and expansion is a deal. just my 2 cents.

This is all I was trying to say.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

Really, MMOs don't have to compete with one another. Amazing people subscribe to more than one...

Anyways. I played a warden when I played a few months back and I really didn't have any issue with leveling be slow. I also played on Brandywine and there were always a lot of people around. Now getting a group together around ~30..well that was a pain.

I think you could easily get 30 days of fun game play out of the game. After that, eh. I've paid more for worse games =/

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325

If you're in the EU, you pay 40 euros for the same pack.

I agree that $10 tempting. I didn't really get into the game when I tried it early on, but it may be a good time to try it again (on the US servers).