Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freezing help.

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

Doesnt matter what game I load up, it always freezes just once. AFter I reboot computer the system is fine all day and night. But alwyas the first execution of a game its not even 10 mins it freezes my system.  After that Im fine. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

well, lets take a look on possible errors.

First, does it only happens when you game?

The most likely thing here is a burnt out memory, probably on the GFX card but possible on the ram.

www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip get a boot CD from this iso and let it run for a few hours. It will tell you if the problem is with any memory (including cash on the processor or GFX memory).

Then if that is not the problem, reinstall windows with new drivers (download and burn them before you reinstall). That should fix any possible software problem.

If not you should try changing GFX card, ask your friends if someone doesn't have an old one you could try. The GPU is the possible culprit here if all memory works ok.

If not software, memory or GFX card 2 things remain, motherboard or the power is sometimes failing. The motherboard is likelier but the GFX card uses a lot m0ore power when you are gaming so it is not unlikely that it can't handle everything.

It could also be the sata cable that have some kind of problem but then you wouldn't get the problem only when gaming.

I hope this is helping, give me a PM if you have any questions.

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

I'm in no way a graphics expert, but I'm thinking Windows is rolling back to a previous driver on reboot.

If you are running Vista you can check under Administrator Tools/Event Viewer to see what the actual error is and use that information to diagnose.

I'd actually lean towards a sound card driver issue just because that has consistently been an issue for me and games since I've owned a computer.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by neoterrar

I'm in no way a graphics expert, but I'm thinking Windows is rolling back to a previous driver on reboot.
    If you are running Vista you can check under Administrator Tools/Event Viewer to see what the actual error is and use that information to diagnose.
    I'd actually lean towards a sound card driver issue just because that has consistently been an issue for me and games since I've owned a computer.

A GFX driver is even more likelier. As I said above, driver issues or some problem in windows is very likely but the memory is easier to test and also very likely.

Always start with the easiest thing to test and memtest will give a reliable answer to if it is a burnt out ddr memory; i seen quite a few of those:

• Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108

WEren't you running in SLI? It can't remember but didnt you just upgrade something in your pc? If so what was it? Like they said earlier it's probobly a driver issue with the video card, possibly the chipset. Make sure your GFX cards are fully seated and have the power pins connected. Also what is the power supply your using? SLI draws alot of power and once you start gaming is when the cards kick in per se. Try pulling one card out and see if it works. If so then you PSU isn't big enough or is showing its age.