Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SUCCESS!

Okay, I am going to do what funcom and all the loud AoC fans over in "The Pub" want me to do...try AoC once again.

Can you answer a couple questions?

I know that lagging was a problem at launch, and it was for me as well, but was it a problem for a LOT of people? And was it resolved for a LOT of people? (im on a wireless connection)

And can it be played in windowed-mode and be resized to a smaller size? (I like to play at work, without drawing too much attention)

Uhm...and feel free to throw in any comments about cool features of the gameplay.

Comments

• Blackwell99Blackwell99 Member Posts: 352

I really like the way they use Viral Marketing practices

That's sooooo Cool.

• DocEllis611DocEllis611 Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Blackwell99

That's sooooo Cool.

AoC was incredibly hyped before it came out.

It was bad at launch, like multiple MMOs.

They have made alot of changes, like multiple MMOs.

Now Im hypped to try it again, theres nothing odd about that.

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

I mean shouldn't have you tried the game at least before saying it made a lot of changes, because:

Funcom just had at least 100,000 people try it again over the last 3 months and instead of gaining new players the lost 20% and are expected to lose another 10%.

However Funcom is commited!

Funcom's words: "The Company has, based on results from the

summer campaigns, decided to continue

investments in development and sales and

marketing of Age of Conan with the goal of attaining

growth in the customer levels of Age of Conan."

I can see how this advertising at the Pub or whatever idk what that is could be effective.

Funcom is putting a lot of resources into the expansion and marketing, not so much the game that you played last year.

To answer your question - there are fewer players now on each server so that has helped stop the lag, however sieges or anything of that sort will bug out and get lagged.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Doc you should read the post history of the two posters that replied to you. You should get the free trial and see if it has changed for you. I can't answer about windowed mode as I have never tried it.

The lag for me has gone from what it was at launch. I lag every now and then, but it was nothing what it was at launch. In cities where it is crowded like Old T at the trader you may lag a little.

I don't know when you left, but they added some cool new dungeons. Amp is a fun dungeon to free the Frost Father, they added Ymirs Pass.

You should get the trial make an account and see if the game has changed enough for you to resub. You can check the lag and the windowed mode and see if it works for you.

If the Funcom trial page doesn't work for you go to Fileplanet and get a key there. You just need to register, not be a paid member.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• MENGKESHIMENGKESHI Member Posts: 123

Windowed mode works very well!

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

also if youre playing wirelessly on a laptop you need to make sure your graphics card is up to snuff, min mobile graphics card for aoc is the 8800, i have 8800gtx in sli on my sager 9262 and when i was playing aoc this spring if i didnt have the right drivers loaded i had severe graphics lag with aoc.  the bad driver conflicts and broken tier 2 raids made me cancle my sub, otherwise the game is in solid shape.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Blackwell99

That's sooooo Cool.

I like the fact that you're STILL here.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Sevenwind

Doc you should read the post history of the two posters that replied to you. You should get the free trial and see if it has changed for you. I can't answer about windowed mode as I have never tried it.
    The lag for me has gone from what it was at launch. I lag every now and then, but it was nothing what it was at launch. In cities where it is crowded like Old T at the trader you may lag a little.
    I don't know when you left, but they added some cool new dungeons. Amp is a fun dungeon to free the Frost Father, they added Ymirs Pass.
    You should get the trial make an account and see if the game has changed enough for you to resub. You can check the lag and the windowed mode and see if it works for you.
    If the Funcom trial page doesn't work for you go to Fileplanet and get a key there. You just need to register, not be a paid member.

Can't argue with the woman. Best interest at heart. Background premise + seeing if it has changed for you Vs some BS to stop you for personal agenda.. the right thing to do is listen to the critics listen to the fans, come half way between and decide is worth effort. Then there should be some consideration that those that left gave it another shot for good, or bad along the line, what is so wrong in you doing the same.

Ymir's pass, the zone and the story line, the finish has the best I think in the game. Put it this way, even if you give it another go and it is agreeable for a while you should know that there is a lot of development going on to support you further down the road when applicable.

EDIT: Doc, I forgot to add, if your wireless, remember to check your routers webpage entering in the model number for the latest firmware which can improve a multitude of things. You won't get the best performance windowed, but ALT + Tab works for quick minimization.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

A lot has changed with aoc, it was nothing like i was led to believe it was....a poorly made piece of crap full of bugs glitches and barely playable.  Its a very solid and very fun game right now, and they havent even patched in the renown point system, guild leveling and ranking either.

However, its your one of those guys who NEEDS a wow style open world, or didnt find the combo system and combat entertaining the first try, you probably wont like the game now.

This game isnt for everyone, luckily, but man the combat is fun, makes the standardized wow style combat of all mmorps feel sluggish and a tad boring.

Good implimentation of scenarios, theres no war style "everyone grinds the minis and ignores open world pvp"  everyone grinds the minis and engages in the open world ffa pvp, however the open world pvp is mostly in "hot spots" which includes white sands in tortage.

My advice is to pvp as much as possible, getting to pvp level 5 is the real grind of the game, since you can reach 80 fairly easy.  You will notice a nice advantage in pvp if your 5 and your opponent is pvp level 3 or below.

If your looking for some fast and intense pvp aoc is your game.  For a comparison, aoc's combat made aions combat feel like it was going at a snails pace.  Your gonna really miss the fatalities in pvp as well.

• RedmowRedmow Member Posts: 196

'and most players who stayed with AoC are blind fanbois who worship Craig as their God (and Gaute as the Devil) and will never ever quit no matter what.'

Heh. And who do you worship at Aion?  The remaining gamers at SWG...who do they worship? WoW...who's their god?

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

To the OP... I suggest also just trying it out. I have played AoC 2 times now. The first time, I liked it even though it suffered from bugs. The only reason I left is because my friends and my entire guild decided they wanted to play WAR... I really didnt want to leave as I had been in the WAR beta since week to of the closed beta. So for over a year of beta. I liked what I was seeing in AoC and knew given time the bugs could be worked out.

Myself and few friends came back to try AoC a 2nd time and WOW it really had changed the game did run smoother, yes it still did have some bugs but the majority of them had been changed. But like someone stated above the game isnt for everyone. Well as much as I loved it my best online friend who I have been gaming with now for about 11 years just couldnt seem to get into the low fantasy as much. Anyway we ended up leaving again. (HOWEVER I would have stayed if he would have as The game seemed really top notch.

Right now like many others we are waiting on Aion we have played in the Closed Beta events of it and it seems like its going to be a really great game as well.

AoC though I give it 2 thumbs up. Give it a go. If you like the World style the game is hellavalota fun. I have already told my friend if for some reason Aion doesnt live up to what we expect out of it that I am going back to AoC with or without him lol... At least untill guildwars 2 comes around.

• ogcopckaogcopcka Member Posts: 13

i'm still playing aoc and i agree that is becoming a big game day by day 

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by eureka105

Originally posted by crunchyblack

If your looking for some fast and intense pvp aoc is your game.  For a comparison, aoc's combat made aions combat feel like it was going at a snails pace.  Your gonna really miss the fatalities in pvp as well.

I think someone is worried Aion might steal half of the AoC players

My very good friend played beta and he said PvP in Aion is awesome and even that flying thing that first sounded stupid, really makes PvP more challenging and fun. I cannot say for certain but me and him usually like similar games so I guess I might like Aion.

I've heard that many PvP guilds are going to Aion. From WoW, WAR and AoC. But less from AoC because subscription numbers are so low already and most players who stayed with AoC are blind fanbois who worship Craig as their God (and Gaute as the Devil) and will never ever quit no matter what.

This is funny the way you think....

Because i play aoc means i must root for all otehr games to fail...like you do with aoc?

I will be playing aion, i have preorderd.   I didnt have nearly as much fun as i have had with aoc, but i will give it a good shot.

Doesnt mean i will stop playing aoc, or try to sell othger people on it sucking.  Aoc and aion are two vastly diffrent games and if im not loving aions endgame

Lots of multi game pvp guils will be headed to aion, of course.  The aoc server i play on has plenty of players.

But i guess because i enjoy aoc i must worship developers i dont care about and root on the death of all otehr games...just like you...right?