Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally over Everquest 1.

Didnt know whether to post this here or on the EQ board.

I played EQ1 for 3 years. I gave it up for over a year now.

Before WoW, I wandered from game to game trying to find a replacement, with no joy.

Finally WoW came out and I forgot about EQ1 (yes I kepted remembering the good times).

Has anyone else lost there addiction from playing this game?

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

Comments

• this game isnt addictive (or not meant to be like EQ1 was) because it is a casual gamers game. The only problem is that it is too easy to lvl, But i have never had an addiction to WoW.

• dtritusdtritus Member Posts: 139

I was happy playing EQ1 for some years.

About a year ago I stoped playing it after a couple of months of disapointment. I played quite a few MMO's over the last year. The second best one was City of Heroes.

But nothing really captivated my interest in the same way as EQ1 as well as WoW has.

It seems like at least once a day I'll be in a situation where the game is just so fun. It'll be a nice looking landscape or a really sweet looking giant boss monster, then trashing the thing with my group. Or finally getting revenge on the bastard elf that's killed me 3 times that day.

I have fun playing Wow consistantly from day to day. It's been a while sense I could say that about an MMO.

Yeah, I'd do Betty....
    But I'd be thinking about Wilma.

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Originally posted by dtritus

I was happy playing EQ1 for some years.
    About a year ago I stoped playing it after a couple of months of disapointment. I played quite a few MMO's over the last year. The second best one was City of Heroes.
    But nothing really captivated my interest in the same way as EQ1 as well as WoW has.
    It seems like at least once a day I'll be in a situation where the game is just so fun. It'll be a nice looking landscape or a really sweet looking giant boss monster, then trashing the thing with my group. Or finally getting revenge on the bastard elf that's killed me 3 times that day.
    I have fun playing Wow consistantly from day to day. It's been a while sense I could say that about an MMO.

I completely agree, further more I find the higher level I go, the better the game is.

Comparing the newbie zones to where I am currently hunting, its just in a different league.

Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• BlackTalonBlackTalon Member Posts: 75

If you were a eq fan why the hell would you go play that cartoon game when eq2 is waiting for you?...I played eq for 3 years then after that i pretty much stopped mmorpgs all together/ When eq2 was coming out I was interested, wow, well why anyone even plays that is beyond me, i mean just look at the graphics lol...is there a class called walt disney?....i'd suggest you give eq2 a try....it's not quite eq but it's a lot more than wow will ever give you...unless your a pvp fan, which I am but am still enjoying it.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by BlackTalon
    If you were a eq fan why the hell would you go play that cartoon game when eq2 is waiting for you?...I played eq for 3 years then after that i pretty much stopped mmorpgs all together/ When eq2 was coming out I was interested, wow, well why anyone even plays that is beyond me, i mean just look at the graphics lol...is there a class called walt disney?....i'd suggest you give eq2 a try....it's not quite eq but it's a lot more than wow will ever give you...unless your a pvp fan, which I am but am still enjoying it.

Why is it someone always has to be unhappy that someone else is happy a way other then how they themselves are happy?

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ZrazikZrazik Member Posts: 195

It's always funny when EQ2 fanbois comment on WoW graphics while EQ2 graphics are the sucky ones, should i say
    "i mean just look at the graphics lol...is there a class called Barbie Doll in EQ2?"

Oh and they often bring that topic cause more polygons is all that EQ2 has over WoW.

• Silver.Silver. Member Posts: 368

EQ2 graphics is like "Barbie and Kent go adventuring"

(not my words, a quote from someone else here on MMORPG)

Yeah deal with it, or else ::::15::
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Cheers! I'm out ::::28::
    ---------------------------------------------

Cheers! I'm out ::::28::::

Actually I did try EQ2. I was very excited about it, having enjoyed EQ1 so much for so long. But really, it just wasn't fun.

The graphic quality of EQ2 is indeed very nice. But calling WoW's graphics cartoonie is just ignorant. WoW has excellent graphics. The lighting and shadowing in the game is superb. The character animations are great. And I've never played a game before where I was so excited to get new equipment. Almost every piece of gear in the game has a unique graphic that appears on your character.

But really, the look of the game isn't the deal maker. I'd happily play UO if it was as fun as WoW.

EQ2 is really nothing like EQ1. Expecting someone to enjoy it because they like EQ1 is kind of a foolish expectation.

Also, EQ2 is not really at all like WoW. They have very different play styles and I would not expect the same person to enjoy both games.

Yeah, I'd do Betty....

Originally posted by Silver.
    EQ2 graphics is like "Barbie and Kent go adventuring" (not my words, a quote from someone else here on MMORPG)Yeah deal with it, or else ::::15::

Alot of the screencaps I have seen of EQ 2 make the players look very "plastic" and fake, especially the armor textures. I wondered about that, I was looking at some screen caps of dark elves I figured the armor textures were unfinished, it just looked like a white plastic looking texture with an overdo on bump mapping. So I am gathering those are the final textures?

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Yup. WoW has cartoony graphics which are beautifully designed and inspiring and Everquest 2 has extremely ugly graphics that bear no resemblance to reality (as they're so often touted).

After playing the laugh-out-loud joke of a crap game that EQ2 is, I'll take the cartoony graphics any day.

Note that people who like EQ2 are very much in the minority, which is very reassuring to those of us who demand quality from our games.

To the original poster: Good luck with WoW. When Battlegrounds and the PvP honor system are in the game it's gonna blow the rest of the MMOs out there away.

Originally posted by firemagic

Yup. WoW has cartoony graphics which are beautifully designed and inspiring and Everquest 2 has extremely ugly graphics that bear no resemblance to reality (as they're so often touted).

After playing the laugh-out-loud joke of a crap game that EQ2 is, I'll take the cartoony graphics any day.

Note that people who like EQ2 are very much in the minority, which is very reassuring to those of us who demand quality from our games.

To the original poster: Good luck with WoW. When Battlegrounds and the PvP honor system are in the game it's gonna blow the rest of the MMOs out there away.

I liked WoW's graphics when I beta tested it with exception to the skin textures, they kinda went south to me. Mainly I am basing this opinion off the Troll I made, his skin wasn't done very well to me, other then that I loved the graphics, and I liked the abstract enviroment.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

Firstly EQ2 depth is not a patch on EQ1. Secondly EQ2 depth is not a patch on WoW.

Graphically WoW is much better, as many people have said animation in WoW and colour use is fantastic, its not about the polygon count. There is a REAL difference in zones/places.

Finally WoW is much more fun to play than EQ2 and EQ1 post PoP, pre Pop I think EQ1 was better than WoW but WoW hasnt any expansions yet and I certainly havent finished playing it.

As for this post, I didnt want to turn this into a WoW version EQ2 discussion, like a lot of EQ1ers I have switch to WoW and got away from SOE, the worst games company ever...

• LoStCaUz3LoStCaUz3 Member Posts: 1,154

I used to play Counter-Strike a lot. Now I am more of a WoW fan than anything else, but I was never really addicted to anything.

• CheesecakeCheesecake Member Posts: 28
    BlackTalon, I've played EQ1 and it was good, I'm playing EQ2 at the moment and I really dont find it as interesting as EQ1. Graphics mean nothing. I'm looking into playing WoW because many people have said its interesting, EQ2 is all graphics, not so much fun, although there are sometimes where I will go out and find something new. You made me laugh with what you said...just from judging a game like that I can tell you are prejudice (if you don't know exactly what that means, just think of pre-judge) and incredibly shallow. That is all i ahve to say, thank you...

Originally posted by Cheesecake
    BlackTalon, I've played EQ1 and it was good, I'm playing EQ2 at the moment and I really dont find it as interesting as EQ1. Graphics mean nothing. I'm looking into playing WoW because many people have said its interesting, EQ2 is all graphics, not so much fun, although there are sometimes where I will go out and find something new. You made me laugh with what you said...just from judging a game like that I can tell you are prejudice (if you don't know exactly what that means, just think of pre-judge) and incredibly shallow. That is all i ahve to say, thank you...

If you do play WoW the best advice I can give you is the game really starts about 10th level, the newbie zones are designed for newbies to the game and to MMORPS.

About 15-20th level is when you truely appreciate this game so at least try it to that level.

I am currently a 35th level Hunter and the more I level the better the game gets.

Have fun image

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Silver.

EQ2 graphics is like "Barbie and Kent go adventuring"
    (not my words, a quote from someone else here on MMORPG)
    Yeah deal with it, or else ::::15::

He's right about the graphics its like World of Disney =/

• CheesecakeCheesecake Member Posts: 28

The graphics have nothing do to with the actual gameplay. Sure EQ2 graphics are the best there is, for now.. but the gameplay isn't the best. It gets boring after a week or two. Just because the graphics in WoW aren't the greatest in the world, doesn't mean it isn't a good game, although I wouldn't know that for sure because I haven't played it. But still... I'm not going to judge the game on it's graphics.

• Bobjones1303Bobjones1303 Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by firemagic

because everyone knows, that this doesn't even resemble reality:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -EQ1 character:Grotub, shaman of the Tribunal server <retired>
    -Eq2 character: Grotub, mystic of the Crushbone server
    -Eq2 guild: Imperium Arcanum; on Crushbone server

Yeah, I'd do Betty....

or?

or better yet:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Shai'tanShai'tan Member Posts: 78

EQ2 has best graphics, but graphics is not the only thing that makes a good game!
    Gameplay is the most important part of a game!
    But it's a disadvantage of WoW, yes it is... (+ to fast leveling!)

Classic SOE tatics, make "Stills" of the game look great but try running around and all you will see is stills! Lag makes a better game, I think not!

SWG is exactly the same, except the gameplay is slight better than EQ2.

WoW graphically is very beautiful and taking the worst graphics for WoW and comparing them to the best in EQ2 is just laughable.

Just try and run through an area with more than 6 people and watch the flicker book of stills as you run into a wall for 2 mins but dont realise.

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Originally posted by metalcore

Didnt know whether to post this here or on the EQ board.
    I played EQ1 for 3 years. I gave it up for over a year now.
    Before WoW, I wandered from game to game trying to find a replacement, with no joy.
    Finally WoW came out and I forgot about EQ1 (yes I kepted remembering the good times).
    Has anyone else lost there addiction from playing this game?

I hope this happens to me. I was hoping for it to happen with EQ2 but didn't. I''ve quit EQ1 for a while now but nothing I've played has ever given me the enjoyment(there was frustration from not finding groups at times) that EQ1 had. I then went from game to game hoping to find something that would fill the void but nothing did. Dark Age of Camelot came close as did Anarchy Online(before the price increase) but that was even less so then DAoC. I hope WoW can cause now on further reflection it seems to fit my play style more. At least I hope it will.

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Originally posted by Shai'tan

EQ2 has best graphics, but graphics is not the only thing that makes a good game!

I agree EQ2's graphics are great, some of the best I've seen but true graphics aren't everything. Most of the problems I had with the game was due to graphics. The game just requires to much power for its own good at times. Like walking through Qeynos. If the whole game ran as smoothly as it did while out in Antonica it would be great since I didn't lag at all there and that's a huge zone.

I like fast leveling to be honest. I'm busy with a lot of things in real life and play games for enjoyment. I don't want to work, part of the reason why I used to quit EQ1 off and on cause once it felt like work I'd stop playing, so I never got a character above the 40s. Gameplay is everything I feel. WoW's graphics tend to fit the world of Warcraft for the most part. I don't think it would look right if they went for a more realistic look. Just look at the Warcraft games.

Originally posted by Shai'tan

i only posted screens when one person said Eq2 graphics weren't lifelike at all, and didn't even resemble reality

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~