Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Public service announcement: Is this a MMO?

124»

Comments

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Bioware is only in the level design phase, they haven't even finalized classes yet.

You guys are crying doom and gloom about game features that aren't even programmed yet.

silly huh?

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401
    Originally posted by grndzro

Bioware is only in the level design phase, they haven't even finalized classes yet.
    You guys are crying doom and gloom about game features that aren't even programmed yet.
    silly huh?

Are you serious?  The game is very far along - they have all the classes, but they haven't announced them yet.... do you really think the announcements coincide with when they actually finish stuff?  This game has been in development roughly since 2005 (2006 when it really kicked into gear).  The game - will not - change significantly from what you are seeing in the videos coming out.

silly huh?

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

Originally posted by tillamook
    A: Yes, Star Wars: The Old Republic is a MMO, or “massively multiplayer online game”. Star Wars: The Old Republic will allow thousands of players to explore, adventure, and fight in a single game session.www.swtor.com/info/faq#347Q: Can I play alone?A: While there are some tasks that cannot be completed without the cooperation of others, the majority of the game can be accomplished by playing alone.
    www.swtor.com/info/faq#348

So see there you have it, it's an MMO. And unlike EQ2 you won't always need to recruit 5 friends to get beyond level 40, but some tasks will require a group. Seriously, I doubt BioWare is gonna spend nearly 200 million to make a co-op play game and omfg LIE TO US ALL. If this is a co-op game, then so is WoW, so is SWG pre-cu, since you could play that entire game solo.  What some of you folks state is only YOUR opinion not fact, the above FAQ I highlighted is fact.
    Will there be instances? sure, no more or less than in any other MMO game out there today I'm sure. Will they make use of phasing? I'm sure, they have talked about it. Most likely most of the content instances will be in the early stages of the game and heroic content. Keep in mind EQ2 had shit loads of instance zoning, more than a lot of games, but oh yeah because you had to recruit 5 people to run a Heroic encounter, that made it an MMO.
    I'm willing to bet a lot of games here on this site would lose their MMO card if the standards were set by angry SWG players, which they aren't.

That is all.

I've always respected what Tilla has to say, and this is no exception. Furthermore, if you doubt the gameplay aspect go to www.swtor.com and check out the newest video released about the gameplay and how grouping works. The game looks like its something that will deliver in story, character growth and development, and allow for some serious depth and immersion to the game.

So many people go on about how they get immersed in a game, I've never felt immersed in an MMO. Its reading of text, go here, kill this, bring back 10 bat wings, rinse repeat. This game, from the videos on the official website, really feels like there is immersion to the game. There is personalization and what you do affects YOUR world in the game. No more slaying Onyxia 1238102938102938 times, only to have her come back in an x-pac.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256
    Originally posted by demalus

silly huh?

Are you serious?  The game is very far along - they have all the classes, but they haven't announced them yet.... do you really think the announcements coincide with when they actually finish stuff?  This game has been in development roughly since 2005 (2006 when it really kicked into gear).  The game - will not - change significantly from what you are seeing in the videos coming out.

silly huh?

whats silly is all you mongoloids trying to post stuff on a game that you dont know about. you spout off stuff like its the gospel or something because you watched a video or read some post somewhere. i seriously doubt anyone knows anything about how a MMO is made and what they can or cannot do as far as changing stuff in game. that 20 minute video everyone watched could be drastically different once the game launches. if you dont work for bioware on this game, you dont know what youre talking about.

• StuBidasoeStuBidasoe Member Posts: 108

silly huh?

silly huh?

So in a future video that could show an entire planet with citites full of vendors/craftsmen, auction houses, banks, guards to stop the opposing faction from getting into the city, large common areas, chat features and other typical MMO swag.  Will you still believe the game will not change significantly or have they been working on other aspects of the game for 4 years that they just haven't released info. on yet?  Just because they aren't showing it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Even in the most recent released preview it showed a bounty hunter walking out onto the surface and killing mobs.  Once released do you believe you will be the only player out in the street killing those mobs?  It is silly that everyone assumes they are getting all the info. on this game that there is.  I'm sure BioWare has a ton more features that they aren't willing to show yet.  They don't need to over hype this game cause their fanbase is doing that for them.  They have only stressed the story aspect of this game to the general public and that's all they've released so far aside from a few classes.  There isn't even a release date for SWTOR.  People are judging this entire game (a few hundred hours worth) on a couple screen shots and a low level quest video.  The video even showed grouping, other players (he waved at one), and a noninstanced world surface. 

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

I'm willing to bet a lot of games here on this site would lose their MMO card if the standards were set by angry SWG players, which they aren't.

What??? The "Fringers" don't run the roost on the Star Wars and SOE forums?

Must be news to them.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

silly huh?

silly huh?

Nice qip...really

Do you honestly think 6-8 months from release is Alpha? If the game was feature complete and going to release before christmas we would have a whole lot more information than we do now. The fact that we only have a few instanced battle scenes is prectically proof they are working on everything else.

I'm sure we have teams and voice actors fleshing out zones and quests as we speak. They won't show thoes parts because they aren't finalized yet.

PVP, and the social framework is likely one of the last things they need to complete.

The only thing we have seen so far is a few instances. we will see much more in the next couple months.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Originally posted by singsofdeath

I'm gonna say what I said in another thread: Absence of proof is not proof of absence. 

There is plenty of proof

Opinion is proof?

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563
    Originally posted by Ruyn

Originally posted by Narshe

This is coming from one of the biggest star wars fans.  This game is a poor excuse for an MMO.  Bioware is pissing all over the genre.  GTFO!

:)

Over the genre? No. Over diehard sandbox/SWG fans? Yes. Because they're in the minority no matter how loud they are, and for a game of this scope and budget, it'd be suicide if they went down that path, especially in the post-WoW generation. They are not investing hundreds of millions and targeting the mainstream audience for nothing.

I still think it's a poor design decision.  You look at it like there is all of this potential upside for instanced themepark MMO's.  You neglect to say that the current instanced themepark MMO's are saturated and destined to fail.   Fans of AAA sandbox  MMO's are frothing at the mouth for a good game and IMO far likelier to succeed.  Also, the themepark fans are maturing and wanting more from MMO's these days.  Things that sandboxes can offer.  Why would a person want to leave one themepark can go straight to another?  Go from one carrot to another? 

I like sandbox MMOs and the concept. I played UO and EVE for years and consider UO my all-time favorite online game, and I do miss that social atmosphere... I would LOVE to see another major developer launch a high quality sandbox, but I understand and accept that it's very unlikely in the near future because no one wants to take the risk, and no amount of barking from the internet will change that. And I disagree with your opinion that themepark fans are suddenly craving more. The majority of MMO gamers today play quest and content driven games and are very happy with that. If they were suddenly dropped in a sandbox world with no objectives, I think a very large number would quit out of boredom within a few weeks. That is the reality, and it's not very appealing to investors and publishers. 

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by thexrated

This is coming from one of the biggest star wars fans.  This game is a poor excuse for an MMO.  Bioware is pissing all over the genre.  GTFO!

Actually, I would hope more companies would "piss all over" the genre. It has become too stagnant. We need companies that diversify and move to different directions.

Three games in this genre that I am looking forward to are (and yes, I have grown to dislike generic fantasy):

1. Global Agenda

2. Star Wars: The Old Republic

3. The Secret World

All different concepts and all will be MMOs.

Yep. It's either the complaints about pissing all over the genera and changing things, or copying WoW and being a clone. It's about it being single player with co-op where you can play lots of solo, or it's about it being an MMO and not KOTOR3 and having to play with and see other players. It's complaints about it being linear and on rails, it's complaints about fear of it appealing to SWG vets with to much taken from that game.  Which one is it? Everyone claims to be correct, what if it's really all of the above?

Games like Darkfall and Mortal Online are the true hopes for MMO's.

If that is true then the future of MMORPGs is very bad indeed.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

Actually, I would hope more companies would "piss all over" the genre. It has become too stagnant. We need companies that diversify and move to different directions.

Three games in this genre that I am looking forward to are (and yes, I have grown to dislike generic fantasy):

1. Global Agenda

3. The Secret World

Yep. It's either the complaints about pissing all over the genera and changing things, or copying WoW and being a clone. It's about it being single player with co-op where you can play lots of solo, or it's about it being an MMO and not KOTOR3 and having to play with and see other players. It's complaints about it being linear and on rails, it's complaints about fear of it appealing to SWG vets with to much taken from that game.  Which one is it? Everyone claims to be correct, what if it's really all of the above?

If that is true then the future of MMORPGs is very bad indeed.

Better bad than dead.

Originally posted by greed0104

I'm gonna say what I said in another thread: Absence of proof is not proof of absence. 

There is plenty of proof

Opinion is proof?

Where is the opinion?  Go watch the video.........or actually read my post...

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Originally posted by greed0104

There is plenty of proof

Opinion is proof?

Where is the opinion?  Go watch the video.........or actually read my post...

Have watched the video thanks, and my "opinion" is that it will "likely" be a MMO. But I'm not going say it's fact. To be honest you and I both know you can't accurately judge a game this early and off a 20 min video cut into 4 "different" demonstrations. You would have to be very naive.

• RevthoughtRevthought Member Posts: 120

I think that sandbox MMOs have far more to offer the future of the genre than the theme parks.

That said, if a company were to get the right mix of the two together... look out.

A game need not be all theme park or all sandbox. For instance, I've always thought that a game like TOR would work best if the sand box elements were reserved for end game. That way when we've ran all 1000 hours (tops) of VO'd "story" in the game, we players will have something to strive for, and a reason to continue to pay the subs.

Bottom line? If the game CANNOT hold people past that 1000 hour mark it is doomed.

-R

Originally posted by Revthought

1. Global Agenda

3. The Secret World

EVE

I agree.  That to can be added to the list.  Very exciting prospect re dust 514.

CCP really has their fingers on the pulse of the genre's future, and I'm REALLY looking forward to dust 514.

For those who don't know, DUST 514 is a console MMOFPS that will be set in the EVE universe. Not only that, but what happens on the DUST server has a direct impact on what happens in EVE. For instance, for alliances to hold sovereignty in EVE they'll need players of DUST to help them take and hold planets.The actual action takes place on two different servers, but each game is bound to the other in that actions in either have consequences in both.

One seamless world stretching across multiple games, where player empires can be built, fought and taken away. Multiple MMOs replete with user created meaning and content.

This vision has the MOST to offer the future of the genre, Not that theme park elements aren't important. They are, and will continue to be. That said, I think the days of the pure theme park are limited.

-R

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Revthought

I am not really understanding all of the hate directed at people who are concerned with the direction of this game.

I'll be honest with you all, I'm one of them. I've followed the game, and watched it since it was announced. What I've seen so far has me excited. So, yes, I *will* be in line with you all on release day.

The problem is that the game, with the limited information that is available to us, looks to be a massive single player RPG with multiplayer functionality and an complex hub.

This raises some serious issues for those of us who take our MMOs seriously. It seems like, while the story parts will be fun (and I look forward to them), that there is going to be relatively little to justify a monthly fee. I've worked in MMO development before, and I can honestly say that there is only so much "story" that can be crammed into a game like this. Eventually, and it might take a month or two, we're going to be running the same missions over and over again. If we group at all we'll see a lot of the content faster. This is a problem because, other than the "story" bits, bioware has given us nothing.

There is not one word about what "end game" will look like. Not one word about how pvp is going to work. Not one word about the server architecture. Not one word about some of the sandbox elements a lot of EVE and former SWG players would like to see. 

And to answer some of you, no. I trust bioware implicitly when it comes to making single player Western  RPGs. They are, at this moment in time, the best in the business. What I'm not sure about is their ability to build and sustain an MMO. What they do works very well for single player games, and there are a lot of potential problems (as stated above) with trying to build a Massively Multiplayer Game around what they do.

Furthermore, I think that it is MORE than fair to point out the failings of EA, which now owns and operates Bioware. EA's track record is CERTAINLY on the table for discussion. And so is Lucas Arts for that matter, since they control the license and are almost certainly playing a large role in development.

-R

It isn't directed at folks like yourself who have rational points. It's directed at the folks who do stupid drive by posts like "WOW ripoff" or repeat the same tripe over and over again in every thread.  Those aren't rational people who have genuine concerns for the game. They're trolls and they deserve to be treated as such.

Yes, well while I worry about how many "WoW" elements will find their way into TOR because of EA's influence, I've got some amount of faith that Bioware WILL be delivering something unique.

I'm just concerned about some of their design choices. Like I've said.

Anyway, point taken. It goes both ways though. There are people who seem to be very blind to the reality of making video games and the MMO market, and just insist that Bioware "can't" frack it up. Bioware is a good studio--there is no doubt--but so is (blasphemy I know) SOE. In the final analysis both companies are filled with game designers who are people--who sometimes frack stuff up.

-R