Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW "really" a MMORPG?

pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

I mean.

Ain't 88 servers a little extreme? For USA alone?O_O

When the world is so big why is more players on each server not supported!? Are Blizzard planning on adding europeans and koreans on the american servers or what?

88 is insane. can that even be considered "Massively multiplayer??"

maybe it is just me though.

there is all this discussion around what a mmorpg is. Allot of people are talking about it on the guild wars boards.

others say that only games like wish and dark and light will be true mmorpgs because they only got one server which supports an unlimited number of people.

i just dont know.

some people critise wow for being to solo friendly and un social while others say that wow is the grace of the world and advanced crafting, player run economy, player housing and all that sort of stuff is stupid.

I just dont know. what do you think?? would you like blizzard to have more people on each of the servers instead of 88 different ones?

Comments

• Silver.Silver. Member Posts: 368

A MMORPG is a game you pay to play, get a charcter that you can "level" in some way, is a game, pure online and alot of people play it!

Simple...

Yeah deal with it, or else ::::15::
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Cheers! I'm out ::::28::
    ---------------------------------------------

Cheers! I'm out ::::28::::

• fluffmajsterfluffmajster Member Posts: 6
    ermh acording to me it aint masive..its multiplayer thou...the game i play the most have had 12k+ plaer on the same server that masiveimage..dunno where the limit for masive goes..erhhh i rely dont know anything ima an eu sitzen..so i cant frecking play yet...

your logic is flawed, therfor you are flawd

your logic is flawed, therfor you are flawd

• KasumiKasumi Member Posts: 6

Wow is a MMORPG, duno exactly but the servers aloue like 400 ppl, maybe more maybe less ?

Wish call themselfs a UMMORPG for them being able to have every one on one server.

both have there advantages and disadvantages tho i realy don't c what matters, other than u don't have a argument of which server to play on :P

Then again are all the MMORPG's out there deserving the name seen as most of them don't even have RP in them :P tho they still come under that catagory

• Silver.Silver. Member Posts: 368

It is massive, just divided into many servers.
    The whole US would have gone NUTS, if blizzard would have 1 server that the whole US was to play on.
    The World of Warcraft is too smal for that.
    The game is just so popolar, it is simply not possible!
    Think many 100.000 people registering and trying to log on the same server at once.
    Thefore they maked more servers, or would you like the game to be pushed back even 1 or maybe 2 months, AGAIN

Yeah deal with it, or else ::::15::
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Cheers! I'm out ::::28::

Cheers! I'm out ::::28::::

• AzzazzimonAzzazzimon Member UncommonPosts: 211

Originally posted by Kasumi

Wow is a MMORPG, duno exactly but the servers aloue like 400 ppl, maybe more maybe less ?
    Wish call themselfs a UMMORPG for them being able to have every one on one server.
    both have there advantages and disadvantages tho i realy don't c what matters, other than u don't have a argument of which server to play on :P

Then again are all the MMORPG's out there deserving the name seen as most of them don't even have RP in them :P tho they still come under that catagory

Each server allow several 1000's of players to play together, but since so many people want to play WoW they have to devide it on alot of servers to make the game enjoyable.

You don't want 500k people on same server, it's alot better to split it up then.

-------------------------
    Azzazzimon
    Clan Reverence

-------------------------
    Azzazzimon

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

There are alot less people on WoW's servers than most of the other MMORPGs... but it's still enough to be considered a MMORPG. :P

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

Maybe they are gonna up the numbers at some point?

Or do you guys think that WoWs netcode can't handle it? Maybe they just don't want an overflod of newbies like in the open beta?

• AmatayAmatay Member Posts: 170
    Does it matter?

--------------------------------------------
    # of deleted posts thus far: 1

• dtritusdtritus Member Posts: 139

I don't know what the server cap populations are, perhaps it says somewhere. But it's rare that i go for more than a few seconds without encountering another player. And there are lots of areas where there are lots of players. I'd guess when a server says population is High then it's over 1,000 online players.

They have 88 servers because they have over half a million subscribers.  Well, if half the subscribers are online at the same time then that would make more like 3,000 players per server.

/shrug

Yeah, I'd do Betty....
    But I'd be thinking about Wilma.

• BigxBigx Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by Amatay
    Does it matter?

I think it does matter.  Take blackrock extreme overpopulated at peak hours.  I have never played a mmpg and get put in a que.  Until I got to wow.   Yeah some say just start on a new server.  To late for me.  With 2 char 30ish and 2 others in there early 20 and with 3 crafts over 180.  Transfer my char to a low lvl pop would be fine with me.  Since I get about 3 hours a day to play.  Getting those char to where there at now.  Heck no I will not start over.

• yuuzahnyuuzahn Member Posts: 32

The limits are low because there is no where to go in the game. It is probably the smallest "MMORPG" out there.

Do Or Do Not There is No Try

• OnyxBMWOnyxBMW Member Posts: 207

Hard pop cap for every server on WoW is i believe 3500 people, they all average roughly 2000 and get laggy at 22-2800.....

Its massive in its own rights, but a lot of people are spread out.....

• TheGrimReapeTheGrimReape Member Posts: 63
    Maybe they tryed to lower ping buy crating so many server but its shure didnt work near 300ping even with T3 connectionimage
  • j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

Nope your right its a form of monopolyimage

• JooztJoozt Member Posts: 46

i think it IS an MMORPG.
    Massive Multiplayer Online RolePlayingGame.
    Massive : ...look how many ppl are playing.. even the beta's get overflooded...(korean beta got owned by european players) and for starters, every collectors edition AND a lot of the usual DVD version games were all sold out.
    Multiplayer : ...you walk around a corner and see another player nuff said.
    Online : heh.. guess what, this game aint singleplayer ;)
    RoleplayingGame : hmmz, not much RP-ing on the PvP servers. Though the RP servers have quite a lot of mature players in them that are really RP-ing their brains out. ( f.e. Trolls that talk... trollish :p and Night elves that wont attack animals unless asked in quests and such. )

WoW is really a blast through all the standard MMORPG's out and has already earned its place at the top. Don't think I've seen any MMORPG with so much class and style in graphics while its not top notch.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by OnyxBMW
    Hard pop cap for every server on WoW is i believe 3500 people, they all average roughly 2000 and get laggy at 22-2800.....Its massive in its own rights, but a lot of people are spread out.....image

If thats true then that is higher then EQ 1 was at its peaks on the older servers (2000 people at peak times) like the one I am on (Cazic Thule) before they stopped showing their populations on each server and went to the preferred server method.

So if that is true about those numbers then unless everyone is questioning EQ 1's validity as an MMO then WoW obviously is.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

But WoW is hugh.

3000 people does not seem like allot.

What will habben when everyone gets lvl 50-60 and starts to go into INSTANCED dungeons and stuff like that? or when people are even more spread out on battlefields?

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

WoW has about 300,000 subscribers, that's 3500 per server tops. Star Wars Galaxies has (had?) 300,000 subscribers and only has 25 servers and that includes the European servers. So don't try the "There's just too many people" argument.

• MythsterMythster Member Posts: 95

I tried a high pop server, and I tried a low pop server. If you like playing with more people, expect lag and lines. I personally enjoy the lower population servers.

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

The question this topic raises is only paralleled in its extreme stupidity by such idiocies as "Is a cow "really" an animal?" and "Is blue "really" a color?".

Originally posted by Jodokai
    WoW has about 300,000 subscribers, that's 3500 per server tops. Star Wars Galaxies has (had?) 300,000 subscribers and only has 25 servers and that includes the European servers. So don't try the "There's just too many people" argument.

You have to admit though that we don't honestly know how accurate or honest the numbers are for either. I after having tried SWG find 300,000 current active in SWG abit of a stretch to me, but thats just me. I would probably say however wow is running similar server population counts to EQ 1 about a year ago, little more.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by firemagic
    The question this topic raises is only paralleled in its extreme stupidity by such idiocies as "Is a cow "really" an animal?" and "Is blue "really" a color?".

What if D O G actually spells cat? ::::38::

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

• supergunnarsupergunnar Member Posts: 90

I think wow is a xmmorpg=X-treme massive multyplayer role-playing game

There is no stupid questions, only stupind answers.

My question was geared towards being "Massively"!

Is this not why we play MMORPGS?

To play in a large world which everyone shares. Was that not the thought? Does it not get boiled down to a regular online RPG like Diablo or Neverwinter Nights from current stand point?

Im not bashing WoW! It is just a questions.

IMO, community is important. It sort of binds the world together.

I think the charm of a persistent world is that everyone shares it. In WoW with forced servers and many many servers, it does not seem to be the case.

I guss Blizzard wanted to take MMORPG in another direction!image

And maybe they are right? Maybe free roaming skill systems where everyone can make hybrid characters like a sniper/dancer/cook like in SWG, or player housing, player driven economy, social interaction and deep crafting and all that other ambisious stuff and features, just hurts the game?

Maybe it is not worth to have 10.000 players online at one point if you could get less lag with 3-4 times as little people playing in prime time!

And I guss that is okay. WoW wants to entertain, not change the way we play MMOs!?image

-Pingo

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by pingo
    The question this topic raises is only paralleled in its extreme stupidity by such idiocies as "Is a cow "really" an animal?" and "Is blue "really" a color?".There is no stupid questions, only stupind answers.

My question was geared towards being "Massively"!

Is this not why we play MMORPGS?
    To play in a large world which everyone shares. Was that not the thought? Does it not get boiled down to a regular online RPG like Diablo or Neverwinter Nights from current stand point?
    Im not bashing WoW! It is just a questions.
    IMO, community is important. It sort of binds the world together.
    I think the charm of a persistent world is that everyone shares it. In WoW with forced servers and many many servers, it does not seem to be the case.
    I guss Blizzard wanted to take MMORPG in another direction!image
    And maybe they are right? Maybe free roaming skill systems where everyone can make hybrid characters like a sniper/dancer/cook like in SWG, or player housing, player driven economy, social interaction and deep crafting and all that other ambisious stuff and features, just hurts the game?
    Maybe it is not worth to have 10.000 players online at one point if you could get less lag with 3-4 times as little people playing in prime time!
    And I guss that is okay. WoW wants to entertain, not change the way we play MMOs!?image

-Pingo

How does over 3000 people playing on one server not equate to being massive?

I stand by my previous comment: This thread is retarded.