Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fox News attacks the Netherlands once more, fails again

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

It seems that Fox News isn't terribly excited about the Netherlands. It should come as no surprise that a news channel with a conservative target audience has attacked one of the most liberal countries multiple times.

They have accused of the Netherlands having no moral standards, being immoral and suggested its tolerance will lead it to Anarchy and its downfal, even though the Netherlands is, according to the 2008 index, the 4th most democratic country in the world.

In case you're wondering, the United States is number 18th.

Perhaps one of the most well known videos is the one where Fox News attempted to explore the religious side of the Netherlands. They claimed it's a country where people shunned and ridicule religion in public even though you can see religion in public everywhere and studies suggest 55% of population is religious. They also claimed weddings between more than 2 people is legal. This isn't really true but Fox News obviously didn't check the facts first.

so it came to my surprise that I found another FOX video. This time they are trying to attack the Netherlands drug policy although this time they concentrate on Amsterdam, which is strange as the laws in Amsterdam are pretty much the same everywhere else. Perhaps the target audience never heard of the Netherlands and they thought Amsterdam was more recognizable.

Anyway, a person on youtube noticed the video and made his own "counter" video, comparing the facts between the US and the Netherlands.

Notice how good old O'reily says he doesn't care about the Netherlands after being confronted with the facts.

You can find Fox's report and the video here:

www.youtube.com/watch

Comments

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562
    Originally posted by Gameloading

It seems that Fox News isn't terribly excited about the Netherlands. It should come as no surprise that a news channel with a conservative target audience has attacked one of the most liberal countries multiple times.
    They have accused of the Netherlands having no moral standards, being immoral and suggested its tolerance will lead it to Anarchy and its downfal, even though the Netherlands is, according to the 2008 index, the 4th most democratic country in the world.

In case you're wondering, the United States is number 18th.
    Perhaps one of the most well known videos is the one where Fox News attempted to explore the religious side of the Netherlands. They claimed it's a country where people shunned and ridicule religion in public, even though you can see religion in public everywhere and studies suggest 55% of population is religious. They also claimed weddings between more than 2 people is legal. This isn't really true although Fox News obviously didn't check the facts first.
    so it came to my surprise that I found another FOX video. This time they are trying to attack the Netherlands drug policy, although this time they concentrate on Amsterdam, which is strange as the laws in Amsterdam are pretty much the same everywhere else. Perhaps the audience never heard of the Netherlands and they thought Amsterdam was more recognizable.
    Anyway, a person on youtube noticed the video and made his own "counter" video, comparing the facts between the US and the Netherlands.

Notice how good old O'reily says he doesn't care about the Netherlands after being confronted with the facts.

You can find Fox's report and the video here:

www.youtube.com/watch

Damn, and the way you people handle the weed, and your women, are two of the things I like the MOST about the Netherlands. Dang there I go again being out of touch with conservatives.

heck and poligamy? That's downright biblical. All up to the individual how the wanna contract, i say. I'll even perform the  ceremony

Go figure.

• PyrichPyrich Member Posts: 1,040

Don't like fox at all,  but i imagine it isnt so much the actual country they are targeting rather than the image that some americans are giving it as the Garden of Eden perfect human society that all should strive for.

And it could be yours if you give us more money/power.

Still,  not very nice of them,  but its Fox News,  what do you expect.

• PyrichPyrich Member Posts: 1,040

Also Fox is a conservative based network,  which much like the liberal based ones and really all of them they target eigther democrats,  republicans or the guys who swing back and forth.

Most all of those in those classes are federalist,  pro Supremacy Clause,  the federal goverment overrides the states kinda guys.   You could never have the Netherlands in the states unless their was a major confederacy movement to establish the individual states into more nation like places capable of making such decisions on their own.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

people take bill o'reilly seriously?

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Its a known fact the Amsterdam the CITY is known as the whore house of Europe and that's fine..

So whats the problem?

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Precusor

Its a known fact the Amsterdam the CITY is known as the whore house of Europe and that's fine..
    So whats the problem?

Probably that you didn't read the thread or watched the video or you just missed the point completely.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162

So whats the problem?

Wow! so that's what those girls were who were hanging out near the Rijksmuseum or the Van Gogh museum or the Anne Frank museum were! Gawwwwly!

::::rolling eyes::::::

Originally posted by Gameloading

So whats the problem?

Probably that you didn't read the thread or watched the video or you just missed the point completely.

It's more a matter of ignoring the point rather than missing it.

• eight675309eight675309 Member Posts: 246

Umm, Amsterdam is one of the most crime-filled, corrupt cities in northern Europe.

Whether or not that has anything to do with the libertine element of the city is speculation, but if it were not for speculation there would be nothing to talk about.

"Liberal viewer" doesn't know wtf he is talking about. Typical ignorant liberal fixated on inconsequential things.

This time they are trying to attack the Netherlands drug policy although this time they concentrate on Amsterdam, which is strange as the laws in Amsterdam are pretty much the same everywhere else. Perhaps the target audience never heard of the Netherlands and they thought Amsterdam was more recognizable

There is a difference between de jure and de facto enforcement of laws, and in the case of Amsterdam it is de facto  radically different than the rest of the Netherlands due to lax enforcement. Even in that, there are major de jure differences. So, in short, you are completely wrong. Whether or not O'rielly is right is purely specualtion, but you and liberal viewer are completely wrongheaded.

• ExpatriateExpatriate Member Posts: 202

Rupert Murdoch and Queen Beatrix duking it out?  My money is on Beatrix.

Watch the latest episode of "The Guild" and other Pwnage videos from around the net--also post your own: http://PwnerTV.com

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

About the best you can do for television news in the US these days - in my opinion at least - is the PBS News Hour. The others have largely devolved into only slightly more than pure propaganda and fear organs for their respective interests.

But lord I do hate Rupert Murdoch and Fox News with a passion. They are both absolute sleeze. The most disturbing thing, though, has been watching that guy slowly run what was probably one of the finest newspapers left in the US, The Wall Street Journal, into the gutter now as well.

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

I initially read the thread title as "Fox News attacks the Neanderthals...." and thought, it is always a bad idea to negatively portray your customers.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by nurgles

I initially read the thread title as "Fox News attacks the Neanderthals...." and thought, it is always a bad idea to negatively portray your customers.

Lol... good one.  And, after talking with many Conservatives IRL, I tend to agree.

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

So they are judging a country by one city within it?

The U.S. as a whole has a higher crime rate than the netherlands.  Judging the netherlands by one city is fucking ridiculous.  How about we judge America based solely off statistics from Detroit?  Sound good?

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Rupert Murdoch does not care about Netherlands peoples

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042
    Originally posted by Sabiancym

The U.S. as a whole has a higher crime rate than the netherlands.  Judging the netherlands by one city is fucking ridiculous.  How about we judge America based solely off statistics from Detroit?  Sound good?

That would be perfect. Detroit is as close to real America as you can get. How bout New Orleans?

• EarthgirlEarthgirl Member UncommonPosts: 97

Astounding!  The miserable Bimbo(b) news hosts on Fox have very odd ideas, and this just shows how few are based on facts.  Just have to remember Fox does not equal America, and,  I would have to smoke a heck of a lot of pot before being dumbed down enough to beleive the things they say.  But, looking on the bright side ... corrupt news will force folks to start thinking more for themselves.

The youtube video was a charming middle finger to Fox!

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by protoroc

Originally posted by Sabiancym

That would be perfect. Detroit is as close to real America as you can get. How bout New Orleans?

If you really want to make us look good, let's use D.C.

While I loved my time as an exchange student, my first choice was the Netherlands - Rotary thought sending me there would be a bad idea. I could have slapped him. I still remember his excuse - "They have public "smokeouts" then have group sex in the park".

I was thinking, wow, even if that was true, what the F man - is that a bad thing?

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by eight675309

Umm, Amsterdam is one of the most crime-filled, corrupt cities in northern Europe.

Whether or not that has anything to do with the libertine element of the city is speculation, but if it were not for speculation there would be nothing to talk about.

"Liberal viewer" doesn't know wtf he is talking about. Typical ignorant liberal fixated on inconsequential things.
     This time they are trying to attack the Netherlands drug policy although this time they concentrate on Amsterdam, which is strange as the laws in Amsterdam are pretty much the same everywhere else. Perhaps the target audience never heard of the Netherlands and they thought Amsterdam was more recognizable
    There is a difference between de jure and de facto enforcement of laws, and in the case of Amsterdam it is de facto  radically different than the rest of the Netherlands due to lax enforcement. Even in that, there are major de jure differences. So, in short, you are completely wrong. Whether or not O'rielly is right is purely specualtion, but you and liberal viewer are completely wrongheaded.

The laws in Amsterdam are pretty the same as everywhere else in the Netherlands. There is no reason why Amsterdam should have a bigger problem than other major cities such as Rotterdam and Utrecht.

Also, I live the Netherlands and Studied in Amsterdam for a while so even by my own experiences you can easily tell how wrong O'Reily is in the report.

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

What do you expect Fox to do?

They want to prove a point without slurring their viewers (Americans).  They can't just come right out and say that Americans are generally a bunch of unthinking, irrational, unreasonable, illogical fools that are prone to violence, and if the US adopted the neatherland policy it would be mass suicide.

Rule #1 in TV land - never blame your viewers.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

well this just goes to show i was quite right a few days ago when i said to my boss that Rupert Murdock is a bad influence in the world. Very similar to the Rothchilds [cant spell it].

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

More like For Propaganda. Feels good to know that news channels do their best to remain unbiased and present news from different perspectives.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

LOL @ all the fox bashers.

let the hate flow from you. 

oh did you guys hear?  Today Glenn Beck was NUMBER ONE in ratings

Originally posted by Faxxer

All that proves is that TV really does rot the brains of  a massive amount of people. Every time someone mentions Fox "News" I think of the Hulu commercials. Softening American brain to be consumed.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247
    Originally posted by keltic1701

Originally posted by Faxxer

All that proves is that TV really does rot the brains of  a massive amount of people. Every time someone mentions Fox "News" I think of the Hulu commercials. Softening American brain to be consumed.

The funny thing is, fox is the newest kid on the block.

That tv rotting statement really applies to your NON fox stations for much longer of the time.

just think, if you knock fox off the air, then every other "news" station is exactly the same.