Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me get a new computer!

13»

Comments

• VoomekVoomek Member Posts: 55

I decided on getting a new card.

Should I get an ATI Radeon 4890 or a nVidia 285 GTX?

• nerfednerfed Member Posts: 7

Most people like the ATI 4890 because it is a lot cheaper and can be overclocked to reach about the same performance as the 285 gtx.

if the 4890 isn't overclocked (you can buy one that is factory overclocked) or you don't plan on eventually getting a 2nd one for crossfire then go with the 285 gtx. If it is overclocked (Core Clock: 950MHz or greater) get the ATI. With current prices you can almost get 2 4890's for the price of 1 285 gtx. 2 4890's in crossfire is overkill.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

In september AMD releases new video cards.  So even that you should wait on.  With IBuyPowerPC, they sell at only 10% more then building yourself.  However, they also are known for screw ups.  When you buy from them its helpful to know the insides of a system so you can correct any mistakes that might prevent your system from booting.

Alright. I also did the math, and I can't really get the computer till February.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Voomek
    If you did any research on it, you'd notice that it's incredibly overhauled, almost not looking like the old engine.

The heaviest changes to engine were made in order to acomodate MMORPG.

Graphics/performance wise it is 2004 technology.

<p>Have you seen the graphics?</p>

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

do not confuse artwork (art) with graphics (technology). Aion has a fairly appealing and pretty art direction (within the realm of the anime theme they are going for anyway), but technologically it is not particularly remarkable. As you will only be playing Aion it seems, maybe you should wait with the purchase (Feburary or else) and see if the game runs OK for you. Clearly, you are not very much into computers aside from what seems to be this one game - so blowing 800 bucks on a new machine may be a little wasted if Aion runs good on your current box. I usually only upgrade when I notice, over a certain timeframe, that I am not getting the full enjoyment out of my computer anymore because it is too dated - not because there is a game coming up that may or may not run properly on my machine.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Voomek
    <p>Have you seen the graphics?</p>

Yes, I did. Graphics is not Aion's strong side. I think you are mistaken Art and Graphics here.

Recommended video card for Aion is NVidia 6600, that should give you a hint. NCSoft makes the game to meet the widest audience, thus hw requirements as well as performance are low.

The graphics look amazing to me.

But I know it's not going to run very well, because WoW barely ran at all.

And the machine is going to be more than eight hundred now.

• nerfednerfed Member Posts: 7

WoW is more cpu reliant than gpu which is why it probably ran bad. Your current rig might lag during large scale pvp but should be fine in small scale.

I see. Well I've gotta get a new rig anyway.

• akatntakatnt Member Posts: 23

I built my new computer early this year and I still hate myself for getting SLI 260 GTX instead of single GTX 295. As most of you know most motherboards aren't that great when it comes to SLI and cooling, card are just too close to each other. My cards right now are running at around 70-74c under full load and i am sure i would not go above 60-65c if I had single GTX card. Lesson learned tho for next build.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

I just bought a computer and got it today from HP, but it was some dollars out of your price range.  If you can find a bare bones computer with just Intel Core i7 for around 900 bucks, do it.  It is so worth it.  This is the fastest computer I have ever used by the widest margin ever.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by akatnt
    I built my new computer early this year and I still hate myself for getting SLI 260 GTX instead of single GTX 295. As most of you know most motherboards aren't that great when it comes to SLI and cooling, card are just too close to each other. My cards right now are running at around 70-74c under full load and i am sure i would not go above 60-65c if I had single GTX card. Lesson learned tho for next build.

That ain't bad, the GTX 295 runs at 82c under load anyway.. remember the GTX 295 is 2 275's on the same card which is tougher cooling too, and a single GTX 275 is 78c. Cards just run hotter now and have better thermal sensors which add to the appearance of running hotter. http://xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/inno3d-geforce-gtx295-platinum_5.html#sect0

BUT.. I definitely prefer going with a single card during a build, SLI should only really be done as a later upgrade or if you are using top of the line cards. Like, 2x 260's = a 285 or so, so just get a 285, then much later on when your PC is lagging behind you can pick up another 285 for cheaper to SLI.

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

Heres a setup for you.

$793 Inc Vat and delivery.

What website is that?

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

its Overclockers but its a UK site , i just converted from £ to $

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

That power supply isn't sufficient and Hitachi HDD aren't known for quality.  I wouldn't shop at a UK shop if you are from the US.  You will pay less in the US if you build it yourself since you won't have to pay VAT.

Woah, I need at least five hundred watts.