Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dust 514 and Walkable Space Stations

dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

With the statement that dust 514 units and ship podders would likely never see each other, does this mean CCP has scrapped the idea of walkable stations in EvE? Sorry if I am behind on this...

I should have provided the quote in question, I paraphrased it pretty badly.

"The best way to look at it is to say that while EVE Online is a game about Pod Pilots and their struggles for wealth, power and survival, Dust 514 is about Dust Soldiers and their struggles for... wealth, power and survival. The problem is that the game mechanics required to do both groups full justice require their own separate games." - Jon Wood in today's announcement...

I guess the point is, if there are Dust soldiers and Pod pilots getting out of the pods, don't you think they might run into eachother on a space station in a persistent universe?

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

Comments

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Jon Wood is a mmorpg.com employee, not a CCP employee.

That already answers your question.

• kazamxkazamx Member CommonPosts: 165

This is what I am praying for.

It would be amazing to have EVE players and Dust players able to meet up and trade on stations.

• pgqsilverpgqsilver Member UncommonPosts: 106

Walking in stations is probably still go, but as far a planet exploration in EvE... I think those dreams can be tossed away with Dust 514.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

I see no technical reason that Dusters and Pod people cant meet on the stations as the Dusters transfer to a warzone. But i need to point out that according to the fluff behind EvE pod Pilots are the Immortal Elite earning more in a hour than say a thousand Dusters can in a year. So its pretty much likely that while the dusters have access to the majoraty of the station they wont have access to the best part reserved for Pod pilots [who are used to opulent surroundings and exelent service so wont usually be expecting to see groups of rowdy Dusters on a pub crawl in the VIP Pod Pilot section].

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• L33tRavenL33tRaven Member Posts: 16

Hate to explain and write too much for all.Walking in a stations/flying in atmosphere coming out next year(most likely summer) 

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    Originally posted by L33tRaven

Hate to explain and write too much for all.Walking in a stations/flying in atmosphere coming out next year(most likely summer) 

We are going to have atmospheric  flight?

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

There was a vid from way back, like last EvE-Fest that showed atmospheric flight, I'll see if I can dig up a link of it...  Somewhere.

Edit:  OK

www.youtube.com/watch

At 1 minute in, the Condor/Crow/Raptor goes to warp... Can't tell what it was because I'm blind.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by HYPERI0N

I see no technical reason that Dusters and Pod people cant meet on the stations as the Dusters transfer to a warzone. But i need to point out that according to the fluff behind EvE pod Pilots are the Immortal Elite earning more in a hour than say a thousand Dusters can in a year. So its pretty much likely that while the dusters have access to the majoraty of the station they wont have access to the best part reserved for Pod pilots [who are used to opulent surroundings and exelent service so wont usually be expecting to see groups of rowdy Dusters on a pub crawl in the VIP Pod Pilot section].

Prepare to be surprised at how much Dustbunnies will earn if they can have a significant effect on Sov. Even fairly minor Alliances routinely commit - and often lose - tens or hundreds of billions of ISK worth of ships to POS ops, and taking space generally involves dozens of such ops. Sov is very serious, very expensive business.

Given that there will be a finite number of Dust merc squads available, and that all spaceholding alliances will want them to increase or defend their space, the dustbunnies will be paid what their services are worth.

If player skill can produce significantly better results, you can expect the best Dust clans to quickly become very rich indeed. In fact I suspect that providing a sufficient ISK sink for dustbunnies will be a significant gameplay challange for CCP. I wonder if they will allow PLEX to be used for Dust accounts?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    Originally posted by kazamx

It would be amazing to have EVE players and Dust players able to meet up and trade on stations.

no sir, stations are for the elite for the chosen for immortals planets are for billions of mortals place where dust players belong

BestSigEver :P

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Given that there will be a finite number of Dust merc squads available, and that all spaceholding alliances will want them to increase or defend their space, the dustbunnies will be paid what their services are worth. yea probably a 100 million isk per week which still isant much.
    If player skill can produce significantly better results, you can expect the best Dust clans to quickly become very rich indeed. In fact I suspect that providing a sufficient ISK sink for dustbunnies will be a significant gameplay challange for CCP. I wonder if they will allow PLEX to be used for Dust accounts?

You forget the hidden reason that Dusties are called Dust. As in dust is small insagnifacant indervidually compared to a single pod pilot who earns billions while a single dusty probable earns a few thousand a week.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by HYPERI0N

Originally posted by Malcanis

Given that there will be a finite number of Dust merc squads available, and that all spaceholding alliances will want them to increase or defend their space, the dustbunnies will be paid what their services are worth. yea probably a 100 million isk per week which still isant much.

You forget the hidden reason that Dusties are called Dust. As in dust is small insagnifacant indervidually compared to a single pod pilot who earns billions while a single dusty probable earns a few thousand a week.

I think that you forget that EvE is brutally competitive, and that metagaming is accepted and prevalent. Any alliance which relies on paying its bunnies 10M at a time is asking for a sad, painful lesson in Realpolitik. Because I will pay those bunnies 20M to betray them, just for laughs, never mind any geopolitical goals

Securing a planet in a system... I reckon that will easily be worth a couple of billion. I would expect major campaign contracts to reach into tens of billions - for dust clans with a proven track record of competence and reliability.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• StaatsschutzStaatsschutz Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by dalevi1

With the statement that dust 514 units and ship podders would likely never see each other, does this mean CCP has scrapped the idea of walkable stations in EvE? Sorry if I am behind on this...

I should have provided the quote in question, I paraphrased it pretty badly.

"The best way to look at it is to say that while EVE Online is a game about Pod Pilots and their struggles for wealth, power and survival, Dust 514 is about Dust Soldiers and their struggles for... wealth, power and survival. The problem is that the game mechanics required to do both groups full justice require their own separate games." - Jon Wood in today's announcement...
    I guess the point is, if there are Dust soldiers and Pod pilots getting out of the pods, don't you think they might run into eachother on a space station in a persistent universe?

It has been confirmed by petursson in the meanwhile, that walking in stations is to be expected for next year, as well as an overhaul of the planets.

Originally posted by kazamx

This is what I am praying for.

no sir. Its been confirmed that not every planet will be a battleground. This leaves the planets which wont become battlegrounds.

Those could lateron be used for walking on planets.

Originally posted by Lateris

Originally posted by L33tRaven

We are going to have atmospheric  flight?

atmospheric flight hasnt been mentioned anywhere since the gamecom. But walking in stations is to be expected for next year