Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Ocean The Last Hope Small Review

So I recently purchased the latest installment of the "Star Ocean" series and believe you me was I impressed. I am an old school player of the SO Series dating back to 1999 when SO: The Second Story came out for the Playstation.  "The Last Hope" which is the newest release will keep you on your toes that's for sure. The plot of the game is what you would expect from the series, not too much and not too little. Combat in the game is frantic and will certainly keep you on your heels, although at times it does seem bland and mundane. The graphics are somewhat pristine depending on how you look at it, weapon models change when you acquire a new one but sadly not with armor. For some this may not bother you, but for myself it's just vexatious. If you can look past the bad voice acting and armor models issue I think this game will be perfect for you. The combat system alone gives you the ability to put Hack and Slash and Strategy into dungeon crawling which is what attracted me right away. So for my final opinion, even though this game has been out for some time now. If you have not been able to try it out I without question urge you to. The game itself is more of a "Buy" rather than a rent in my opinion, the game has about 80 hours of gameplay depending on how much of a life you have, lol. So I hope this little review was of some help to a few of you. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Comments

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

thanks for the little review. ive actually wanted to try this out since it released but i didnt know if it was turned based fighting or what. i cant really get into those kind im like the action based rpgs

gamertag - Swaffle House

• jaxsjesterjaxsjester Member Posts: 5

Not a problem, I understand where your coming from on the turn-based. This game completely eliminates that factor.

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

I rented this one and got to the 2nd disc and promptly sent it back. ALL the characters are annoying and generic. At first the protagonist seemed alright but like in typical Square fashion an event occurs that turns the protagonist into another whiney emo bitch just like every other Square main character in recent history.

The game looked and played ok. IMO there are not enough Sci-Fi elements and majority of game is generic fantasy. Crafting is ok, but is near unaccessable since there is no option to quickly return to your ship.

Terrible characters ruined the game for me, max I'd rate it would be 6.5.

• reikaleereikalee Member Posts: 79

Now I'm excited! Here's another Star Ocean fan girl!

Which platform is this coming out for?

I am simply myself, no more and no less. And I only want to be free.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

I love star ocean and have spend hundreds of hours in the 2 and 3, bu i jsut found this one to be poorly made :(

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• AumHybridAumHybrid Member UncommonPosts: 75

Honestly, I loved this game, but The Second Story really beats them all haha.  I was so engaged in that storyline and I honestly liked the combat on The Second Story better as well.

The third game was horrible though...I really want to get the PSP remakes but I don't have a PSP.  The first and second games are a lot better in my opinion.