Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone into Flight Sims?

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I read about all these games eveyone plays, but never hear of any flight Simmers.

Any Flight Simmers here?

My Set up:

24" wide screen monitor, X52 Flight Control System and the TrackIR 4 Pro.

Games:

IL2 Sturmovik 1946  (World war 2 combat) Excellent game!!  Great multiplayer through Hyperlobby

I am in a mature online IL2 squad that has wednesday night training and Sat night full mssions using Ventrilo. Allot of fun.

I suck landing on a carrier...LOL.  Takes many hours of practice.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X (Sim only)

Rise of Flight (World War 1) Needs a powerful system to run) kind of boring but absolutely gorgeous

Over Flanders Field ( Great war immersion) Needs Microsoft Combat Flight simulator 3 to play, but you can pick it up on Amazon for under $10.00 USD.

H.A.W.X. (mostly a shooter, but you can play cockpit mode) This game will wear you out real fast, fantastic stunts

Comments

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Me!  I have a dedicated simulator setup for MS Flight Sim X.  I use it for fun and to practice my flight skills.  I have been into flight sims since I was a wee one really.  I had the original Flight Simulator back in the 80's and probably played every combat sim ever made (especially the old ones from Janes).

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Take a look at Rise of Flight and there is a ir5 tracker and combo deal at gogamers.com

Jihad works both ways

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Admin

Me!  I have a dedicated simulator setup for MS Flight Sim X.  I use it for fun and to practice my flight skills.  I have been into flight sims since I was a wee one really.  I had the original Flight Simulator back in the 80's and probably played every combat sim ever made (especially the old ones from Janes).

Did you build a cockpit?  I have been researching that and thought about building one.  I dont have pedals yet, but have seriously been thinking of getting them.

This is the set up I have been looking at:  V1 Set up 

I probably will need some sort of USB hub or something.  I mean, I have my mouse, headset, flight control system, TrackIR, keyboard, printer.  I am just about maxed out.  Granted, I have a few on my keyboard and monitor, but I get a warning of some type about not enough power to drive the stuff.

I did build a cockpit.  I built up a bunch of systems mainly from old PC parts and filled in some gaps from NewEgg.com - then tied them to 3 20" LCD screens using WideView (www.wideview.it) - eventually I expanded to 5 screens for 180 degrees wrap.  Sort of an evil addiction really - lol.  I have controls and rudder pedals as well.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Oh yes. heartbroken that MS cancelled the FS line too :(

First time I saw FS was in grayscale.

Remember vividly, first time I got my own copy (FS5 I think) went through all the tutorials, made a flight plan from JFK (NY) to Logan (Bos), took off, used the instruments to navigate, all in real time, and when I actually sighted Logan airport it was amazing. I wouldn't wish the landing on my worst enemy but it was pretty cool to have pulled the whole thing off.

Originally posted by dhayes68

Remember vividly, first time I got my own copy (FS5 I think) went through all the tutorials, made a flight plan from JFK (NY) to Logan (Bos), took off, used the instruments to navigate, all in real time, and when I actually sighted Logan airport it was amazing. I wouldn't wish the landing on my worst enemy but it was pretty cool to have pulled the whole thing off.

Haha, I remember those days too.  Flying across a sea of green for hours on end tracking VOR to VOR waiting for that destination city to appear on the horizon (well, preceeded by a heavy load from the floppy drive!)

Ah the memories.

I am still in denial about the whole cancellation of FS.  I am clinging on to the hope that someone will pick it up again.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by Admin

Haha, I remember those days too.  Flying across a sea of green for hours on end tracking VOR to VOR waiting for that destination city to appear on the horizon (well, preceeded by a heavy load from the floppy drive!)

Ah the memories.

I am still in denial about the whole cancellation of FS.  I am clinging on to the hope that someone will pick it up again.

Yes,  I figure all those ex-FS people will regroup, form a new company and get back to work. Its the obvious answer. Actually I was kind of surprised the announcement of the cancellation didn't include an announcement that the closed division wasn't re-opening as a new company.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I looked it up and wow, this sim goes way back.

LINK