Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entropia Universe VU 10 with CE 2 Looks really good!

2»

Comments

• nixixnixix Member Posts: 21

The VU has come, and of course, the bugs have come with it.  Currently there is no way I'd go hunt or mine in the current state of the game-it would be throwing away money.

Why?  Well, the first thing I noticed when I finally finished patching to the new upgrade (let's just forgo discussing THAT whole endeavor for right now) was it was beautiful.  Absolutely stunning.  The graphics and world really have changed the whole game.

Then, in the chatbox, I noticed some odd things.  I counted 8 globals in a row all the same PED amount, from different people and mobs.  Then, while trying to fix my bank inventory, I began to cataloge the numbers-every single global was sub-100 PED.  Well, that's post-VU balancing, anyone who has played EU a long amount of time knows these are not the days to be spending PED out hunting or mining.

Then an invisible mob ate me. 

I re-logged and TP'd to another city, and was floored by how different it looked.  It's almost as if an entirely new game emerged from the shadows of PE/EU past.  The moon was out, and the shadow cast by my avatar was long and I Really took it all in-it's a gorgeous world!  

I found myself in another area completely, and figured I'd give the bank another try.  Everything I worked on to sort in that mess was as if I hadn't touched it at all.  I sat for a while, sorting my inventory and bank to get a good hold on what I had again, and back to where my old method was.

So, give it a while.  There's a great deal of bugs right now, and it's not generally a good time to do....anything but look at the game.

• Renton81Renton81 Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Well i was a HUGE Quake fan,i was playing Unreal and Quake long before MMO's.
    I used the word "Weird" type of realism,because was not Entropia the game you tried to collect sweat to make money?IDK it's been like 3 years since i tried the game,so hard to remember i have played a bazillion games so they all seem alike.I don't remember it being any kind of theme i thought it was more like do your own thing within a world...build a bar ,a store whatever,basically like a SIMS but in a weird kind of way lol.But there was very few mobs and your only goal was to gather sweat :/.
    If i also remember "ya its coming back to me lol"choosing a name was very limited as well,you had to pick pre selected names,right?or  am i going back way too far and the universe has changed totally since then?

Yeah i think you may have mixed up a few games with Entropia :p I mean in terms of names you can choose any name you want (so long as someone else doesnt have the exact same name or if its offensive).  In actual fact you can have 3 parts to your name and choose to show them in any combination.

The game is nothing like sims btw lol.  First time i've heard it compared to that.  At the time you probably didnt know where to go to look for mobs, but there are dense areas of mobs which you can hunt. Various types too.  "Building a bar/store" you have probably mixed up with some other game.  Players can own shops, but they are already made.

Let me explain something to the general public though... In usual MMO's, when you first start up, the ultimate goal at the start is to obtain a good amount of gold, so that you can buy noob-medium gear with.  Then later on in the stage, when you have the gear, you concentrate on skilling.  Then once you've skilled, you save up gold for the high end gear.  Then once you're one of the highest level players or you reach the cap, thats when its most likely endgame.

Entropia is nothing like that... it doesnt follow the same monotonous pattern that i mentioned above that nearly all MMO's have. It focuses purely on having fun.  Its not advised to come into the game thinking "how do i make PEDs", come into the game "how do i have fun" - then decide through what means you will do that by, deposit or play for free (which takes longer of course).  Even with depositing, some people enjoy keeping to a monthly budget and hunting, mining economically.  Doing things economically requires alot of thought - its not just plain pick up a gun and shoot.  You have to look at the decay, then the damage, then damage per pec, then what to hunt.  So alot of statistics involved.

Received my first Free UGC code! :)
    Claim your Free UGC code Here

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

All I know is I'm not depositing 1 PED until they get most of the bugs fixed. I'm too lazy to deal with losing money over invisible loot, blocked out text, buggy glitches, and mobs that don't take any damage. When real money is at stake, you cannot take chances!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Briansho

All I know is I'm not depositing 1 PED until they get most of the bugs fixed. I'm too lazy to deal with losing money over invisible loot, blocked out text, buggy glitches, and mobs that don't take any damage. When real money is at stake, you cannot take chances!

yup thats understandable.  Thats what some people are doing at the moment, well, mostly the hunters - to wait for VU 10.2 at latest for them to start playing properly again.  If not the rest of the players are mostly crafting and mining.  I myself am hunting now and again, just to end the boredom of waiting.  Once its up and running properly i'll be playing and depositing as  normal :)

Although i must say, its even enjoyable just exploring Planet Calypso.  As you run thrrough different terrains, and different weather systems (it snows in some places, with actual snow flakes falling).  Also the day and night system is great too, especially as the day gradually turns to evening and the sun is just peaking over the horizon as you run, and you can see faint stars where the light of the sun is faintest in the sky.

In actual fact alot of people i hear are starting to play the game just to explore.

Originally posted by Briansho

I'm not bragging-not at all.  But last night I dropped three bombs before getting a 477PED global on Megan.

It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to get to the claim marker, and almost another 15 to reach it.  Mined it, then logged off.

I think I used up all my luck for this VU already.  If I couldn't make it to the claim, I think I would have lost my mind.

Oh, and nothing's been patched yet.  Hey MA, need some coffee or something?

• zum0zum0 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Renton81

Originally posted by Wizardry

Well i was a HUGE Quake fan,i was playing Unreal and Quake long before MMO's.
    I used the word "Weird" type of realism,because was not Entropia the game you tried to collect sweat to make money?IDK it's been like 3 years since i tried the game,so hard to remember i have played a bazillion games so they all seem alike.I don't remember it being any kind of theme i thought it was more like do your own thing within a world...build a bar ,a store whatever,basically like a SIMS but in a weird kind of way lol.But there was very few mobs and your only goal was to gather sweat :/.
    If i also remember "ya its coming back to me lol"choosing a name was very limited as well,you had to pick pre selected names,right?or  am i going back way too far and the universe has changed totally since then?

Yeah i think you may have mixed up a few games with Entropia :p I mean in terms of names you can choose any name you want (so long as someone else doesnt have the exact same name or if its offensive).  In actual fact you can have 3 parts to your name and choose to show them in any combination.

The game is nothing like sims btw lol.  First time i've heard it compared to that.  At the time you probably didnt know where to go to look for mobs, but there are dense areas of mobs which you can hunt. Various types too.  "Building a bar/store" you have probably mixed up with some other game.  Players can own shops, but they are already made.

Let me explain something to the general public though... In usual MMO's, when you first start up, the ultimate goal at the start is to obtain a good amount of gold, so that you can buy noob-medium gear with.  Then later on in the stage, when you have the gear, you concentrate on skilling.  Then once you've skilled, you save up gold for the high end gear.  Then once you're one of the highest level players or you reach the cap, thats when its most likely endgame.

Entropia is nothing like that... it doesnt follow the same monotonous pattern that i mentioned above that nearly all MMO's have. It focuses purely on having fun.  Its not advised to come into the game thinking "how do i make PEDs", come into the game "how do i have fun" - then decide through what means you will do that by, deposit or play for free (which takes longer of course).  Even with depositing, some people enjoy keeping to a monthly budget and hunting, mining economically.  Doing things economically requires alot of thought - its not just plain pick up a gun and shoot.  You have to look at the decay, then the damage, then damage per pec, then what to hunt.  So alot of statistics involved.

hehehe  mm yes .. leftclickin for hours  doin hunting/mining/crafting are not  monotonous??  and play for free   well no sweatin atm ,  maybe that will be back in game whith futur updates 

Originally posted by zum0

hehehe  mm yes .. leftclickin for hours  doin hunting/mining/crafting are not  monotonous??  and play for free   well no sweatin atm ,  maybe that will be back in game whith futur updates 

Well of course its got the basic outline of an mmo (with hunting/mining/crafting) - But nearly all other mmo's are based around the same fundemental aspect.... To grind up and level - thats not the case with Entropia, as there is no level cap.  Leveling is not the main goal (it can be if you want - just concentrate on leveling) but thats not the main goal.

Another difference is, in all other mmo's grinding is a waste of time, because the only reason why you grind up level's is so that you can use a higher level armour or weapon, or be able to pk people.... kind of linear dont you think?  In entropia you gain skills while you hunt, like any other mmo - but in entropia the skills (yes every skill you get) is worth money too.  So as you hunt/mine/craft you're gaining skills which you can sell in the future if you wish to.

Let me tell you about an experience that i had - i've been playing mmo's for a long time now.  And being an open minded person, i've tried out current and new mmo's as they come out.  I used to play Last Chaos, which is aeria games biggest mmorpg.  Over the period of 6 months i skilled and grinded my way to the highest level sorcerer ingame.  In the process, throughout those months i had spent about £500 (about $800) on things like exp potions etc...  So being the most powerful player on that server, i then adopted pk-ing (as thats what high level players naturally do when they have nothing to skill for or reached the cap).  I got bored of pk-ing and after some thought decided that the game wasnt for me anymore and quit.   This is what mostly occurs to people when they play the common mmo's out there.

In the end i came to a realistation...

1> I went through ALL those hours of grinding - must have been over 300+ and lets face it, grinding is always boring, the only reason why we do it is the promise of being able to use a specific armour or skill once you've reached the next level.  So several hours of grinding for 1 hour of enjoying playing around with your next armour/ skill - some how dont balance out

In Entropia, there is a skill system.  But thing is you can buy skill chips if you wanted to but i mean its fun killing mobs ingame knowing that the loot is actually worth something of value, and not just ingame gold.

2> I also realised that after all that time of playing, i had spent £500 ($800), thing is - i'll never see that money again.  I basically paid for an anti-climax (i.e playing the game, going up levels, then reaching the top to find nothing)

See with entropia, you are free to put in whatever you wish.  At least even if you decide to quit at a later stage, you get to see some if not all your money back - in some cases maybe even profit.  It all depends on how clever you play, how you play and how long you play.

• liumlium Member Posts: 138

Sry i must reply to you.

First you understanding of MMO market is wrong, friend just sold using pay pal EVE character for 1300$ = 13000 peds.

It will take you some hard core skilling (now that they nerfed skilling in 2007) to even get close to that not to count to be able to sell you skills you must PAY to buy ESI.

The profit for him is pure $ he used isk to pay for the game time = he never payd one subscription month and walk away whith 1300$.

Free to play and free to download.

Yes another of his character was banned on the 9000 accounts clean up so what he still own 8.

He don’t even need to play just log in cue skills few years = easy money.

This used to be the case whith Wow before gold farmers left (even that they exoist to day is nothing same as before).

I bet Aion will be full of money makers…

Is not becose you fail to see those oportunitys that they don’t exist.

Ppl make more in EvE per year that Entropia will ever see.

Whith no risk in Entropia you need to put you money to ear skills in eve you don’t need any money once you made isk to trade just spam orders.

To day EvE look more promessing that Entropia was even before 2005.

Not to say that once afterworld go commercial it will just whipe out 60% of no ubers from EU.

Just go one the AW forum and log in game 90% of players are from EU a,d not small ones the big depositors… they just got mad at MA and now they sponsor something else.

Originally posted by lium

Sry i must reply to you.

First you understanding of MMO market is wrong, friend just sold using pay pal EVE character for 1300$ = 13000 peds.

It will take you some hard core skilling (now that they nerfed skilling in 2007) to even get close to that not to count to be able to sell you skills you must PAY to buy ESI.

The profit for him is pure $ he used isk to pay for the game time = he never payd one subscription month and walk away whith 1300$.

Yes another of his character was banned on the 9000 accounts clean up so what he still own 8.

This used to be the case whith Wow before gold farmers left (even that they exoist to day is nothing same as before).

Whith no risk in Entropia you need to put you money to ear skills in eve you don’t need any money once you made isk to trade just spam orders.

Not to say that once afterworld go commercial it will just whipe out 60% of no ubers from EU.

Just go one the AW forum and log in game 90% of players are from EU a,d not small ones the big depositors… they just got mad at MA and now they sponsor something else.

Yes but selling skills isnt the only thing you will be selling, keep in mind that you can sell all your armour, weapons, any equipment you have bought, PLUS on top of that the loot that you recieved through all those kills.

And the problem with EvE and other mmo's is that yes you can sell your account, but you have to first find person to sell to, there isnt always a consistent line of people waiting to buy.  Anyway $1300 is nothing compared to the loot you can get in entropia.  I assume you have played the game right? Think about what is written in chat.  For 24 hours, 7 days a week there is constantly people looting.  Now think in 1 day how much money is being looted in $.  Some get 50 ped, 100 ped, 250 ped etc....  They all add up slowly.  Think about  how every day theres at least 3 people in hunting/mine/crafting who loot $5k, $10k even $20k.  Couple of weeks ago there was three people on the hof board with 16k-25k ped hofs.

Anyway you cant compare Entropia to EvE, its completely different style of game.

"Whith no risk in Entropia you need to put you money to ear skills" 

Sure you can deposit money into entropia if you wish to, but thats just up to the individual to decide if they want to or not.  Entropia isnt small, they post their financial forecast and takings on their main site.  I mean take for example in 2007, $400 million was put into the game by all the players in total for that year..... $400 million.  But then again, you can play the game for free.  I just moved into a new society (guild) and there is this one guy who is 20 years old, and unemployed irl.  He deposited 50 Euro at start (4 months ago) with that deposited PED he traded with it, so he could hunt and craft.  He since has looted the first unL ore amp wich he sold for 7k ped ($700) and in last couple of days he has got 2 hofs (one 2k ped and one 1k ped).  Since that 50 Euro's he hasnt deposited once .... just traded.  If he lost out in hunt he used the remaining money he had to trade back his money up.

See... this is what you call clever gaming.  Not just deposit, hunt, cry.  And if you dont believe me that this guy exists, pm me and i will meet up with you in entropia so that you can meet him.  See its posible to play the game with out losing everything.  The people who lose everything have no knowledge of the game, or just play the game in stupid way.

I still think that you dislike the game just because you had a bad experience personally.  If it was so bad why would so many players deposit $400 million in total into the game?

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

Well of course its got the basic outline of an mmo (with hunting/mining/crafting) - But nearly all other mmo's are based around the same fundemental aspect.... To grind up and level - thats not the case with Entropia, as there is no level cap.  Leveling is not the main goal (it can be if you want - just concentrate on leveling) but thats not the main goal.
    Another difference is, in all other mmo's grinding is a waste of time, because the only reason why you grind up level's is so that you can use a higher level armour or weapon, or be able to pk people.... kind of linear dont you think?  In entropia you gain skills while you hunt, like any other mmo - but in entropia the skills (yes every skill you get) is worth money too.  So as you hunt/mine/craft you're gaining skills which you can sell in the future if you wish to.

Let me tell you about an experience that i had - i've been playing mmo's for a long time now.  And being an open minded person, i've tried out current and new mmo's as they come out.  I used to play Last Chaos, which is aeria games biggest mmorpg.  Over the period of 6 months i skilled and grinded my way to the highest level sorcerer ingame.  In the process, throughout those months i had spent about £500 (about $800) on things like exp potions etc...  So being the most powerful player on that server, i then adopted pk-ing (as thats what high level players naturally do when they have nothing to skill for or reached the cap).  I got bored of pk-ing and after some thought decided that the game wasnt for me anymore and quit.   This is what mostly occurs to people when they play the common mmo's out there.
    1> I went through ALL those hours of grinding - must have been over 300+ and lets face it, grinding is always boring, the only reason why we do it is the promise of being able to use a specific armour or skill once you've reached the next level.  So several hours of grinding for 1 hour of enjoying playing around with your next armour/ skill - some how dont balance out
    In Entropia, there is a skill system.  But thing is you can buy skill chips if you wanted to but i mean its fun killing mobs ingame knowing that the loot is actually worth something of value, and not just ingame gold.
    2> I also realised that after all that time of playing, i had spent £500 ($800), thing is - i'll never see that money again.  I basically paid for an anti-climax (i.e playing the game, going up levels, then reaching the top to find nothing)

See with entropia, you are free to put in whatever you wish.  At least even if you decide to quit at a later stage, you get to see some if not all your money back - in some cases maybe even profit.  It all depends on how clever you play, how you play and how long you play.

Eh the game you are using to tell that EU is so much more then the ordinay MMO, is that a F2P mmo with cashshop in it? Please dont compare thoose F2p mmo:s with P2p MMO:s, couse its a difference of night and day between them in case of gameplay and entertainment!

And also dont forget, people play mmo:s for entertainment, not to make money. I dont really think that the "you can earn money" talk, is something that a gamer really cares about. Its a bigger chans that it is a turnoff.

Originally posted by lium

Sry i must reply to you.

Yes but selling skills isnt the only thing you will be selling, keep in mind that you can sell all your armour, weapons, any equipment you have bought, PLUS on top of that the loot that you recieved through all those kills.

And the problem with EvE and other mmo's is that yes you can sell your account, but you have to first find person to sell to, there isnt always a consistent line of people waiting to buy.  Anyway $1300 is nothing compared to the loot you can get in entropia.  I assume you have played the game right? Think about what is written in chat.  For 24 hours, 7 days a week there is constantly people looting.  Now think in 1 day how much money is being looted in $.  Some get 50 ped, 100 ped, 250 ped etc....  They all add up slowly.  Think about  how every day theres at least 3 people in hunting/mine/crafting who loot $5k, $10k even $20k.  Couple of weeks ago there was three people on the hof board with 16k-25k ped hofs.

Anyway you cant compare Entropia to EvE, its completely different style of game.

"Whith no risk in Entropia you need to put you money to ear skills" 

Sure you can deposit money into entropia if you wish to, but thats just up to the individual to decide if they want to or not.  Entropia isnt small, they post their financial forecast and takings on their main site.  I mean take for example in 2007, $400 million was put into the game by all the players in total for that year..... $400 million.  But then again, you can play the game for free.  I just moved into a new society (guild) and there is this one guy who is 20 years old, and unemployed irl.  He deposited 50 Euro at start (4 months ago) with that deposited PED he traded with it, so he could hunt and craft.  He since has looted the first unL ore amp wich he sold for 7k ped ($700) and in last couple of days he has got 2 hofs (one 2k ped and one 1k ped).  Since that 50 Euro's he hasnt deposited once .... just traded.  If he lost out in hunt he used the remaining money he had to trade back his money up.

See... this is what you call clever gaming.  Not just deposit, hunt, cry.  And if you dont believe me that this guy exists, pm me and i will meet up with you in entropia so that you can meet him.  See its posible to play the game with out losing everything.  The people who lose everything have no knowledge of the game, or just play the game in stupid way.

I still think that you dislike the game just because you had a bad experience personally.  If it was so bad why would so many players deposit $400 million in total into the game?

You must get few fact right the first OA UL was not OA but enmater amp !

It was sold to manuel for 5000 peds and he never made to sell it for +8k.

Sec looted was 103 that was actually TT and MA posted message about it.

N°3 was 105 that squall got.

After that another 103 droped on eM minning event.

I know this game in to the roots.

The fact is how many of old players are there to day ? Ask why ?

I wrote the post about Pham some MA monkey got it erased why Pham quit ? Pham profited from day one, he posted that EU sucks now it cost 10 times more to play!

Why you think there is only 7 page of posts on MMO about EU ? becose pl don’t like it so they don’t talk about it.

Keep it real and stop the dream.

On the 400$ try to look how much EvE make month.

Oh and why they deposit simple addicted gamblers hoping to hit ATH.

Originally posted by Dahlifyr

Eh the game you are using to tell that EU is so much more then the ordinay MMO, is that a F2P mmo with cashshop in it? Please dont compare thoose F2p mmo:s with P2p MMO:s, couse its a difference of night and day between them in case of gameplay and entertainment!

And also dont forget, people play mmo:s for entertainment, not to make money. I dont really think that the "you can earn money" talk, is something that a gamer really cares about. Its a bigger chans that it is a turnoff.

That why they don’t get any one from MMO ppl play games to relax.

Gamblers play Entropia.

If I hadn't hit a near-ATH I would have left long ago.  As such, I've sat on the money for months now, wondering if I should go forward and waste it, or pull it all out.  The few times I've gone out, I've hit globals and HOF'd quite a bit since then, but the temptation to sink myself even further is there-I just don't know what to make of it.

The game is beautiful and very bugged right now, but even then I still hit a HOF with random bomb tossing.  There's no skill to it, and I can't sit here and brag that I planned and plotted my success in the game.  It's dumb fuggin' luck, and not everyone gets it.  Again, that's why I'm torn on totally cashing out-I can afford to keep going for years with what I've got now, but none of it can be traced to skill.  Eve takes skill.  Many other games take skill.  This game...well, it takes money to be good.  

• TorschenTorschen Member Posts: 78

My few notes:

---------------

First, graphics

---------------

I uploaded couple rather random shots to this site, not particularly trying to find the most breathtaking views, to show how EU looks now. With my computer I cannot use the very highest settings, so I settle to 1280x1024 2xAA, with graphics high/very high. Still it is very easy to see the great progress, or more like a leap to another level in detail, lightning and everything.

It must be noted though, that in many places the old textures are still used. Mostly in more remote outpost structures but painfully obviously also sometimes in vegetion and animals. I assume and hope they eventually will be replaced, after the major fixes and features are done.

------------

Second, bugs

------------

Yes there are many bugs as of now, waiting for fixes. Before thay are ironed out, it is rather impractical to try doing anything serious in the world. But its work-in-progress, miniupdates coming many times a week. It will work eventually.

To give some perspective, players of other MMORPGs may try to remember just how buggy their favourite game was when it first came out. Think WoW. Practically unplayable. And this migration to new completely different game engine IS in many ways like a beta stage. This must be understood.

---------------

Third, features

---------------

As announced, EU is while I'm writing this in VU 10.0, and many features with extreme importance (like sweating, teleportation, space travel) are only gradually implemented in VU10.1, 10.2, 10.3. Presently EU is not at all in its final phase, mainly we got the graphics, and the planet (and only one of the many to come, for that matter) so far.

---

I suggest anyone even remotely interested wait for maybe the next VU, or VU after that before logging in for the first time. EU is right now more like a construction yard, you cannot expect to see everything functional quite yet.

But the scaffolds do rise very high.