Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old school magic

HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

I've been playing Aion beta lately and it's probably the exact opposite of what I want in an MMO.. It makes me miss the old days, are there any population healthy games out there like EQ1 or DAOC? (that aren't those titles?).

There was a certain feel of discovery to these games. The accomplishment came from grouping up with people for long periods of time to accomplish great things (not raiding, just grouping).  I really enjoyed finding a good, challenging camp and sitting there with my homies getting good exp.  Quest grinds are just so freaking boring, particularly solo.

Vanguard is the closest I've found, hell some of the things you find in that game are mindblowing, completely spot on. Unfortunately by the time it became playable to any sensible degree,  they turned it into a quest grind in order to survive. EQ2 used to be okay, people would group up and do dungeons etc for xp but AAs have ruined that.

Are there any games out there that have that old school feel of truely belonging and travelling in a world? I know about Horizons and I played ffxi back in the day.. but are there other's I might not have tried? I'm just looking for a rich gaming world.

(I really enjoyed Muds and The Realm back in the day, graphics aren't important but population is)

Thanks for any help given

Currently Playing: The Game

Comments

• Vion1xVion1x Member Posts: 188

i have tryed to look for the same thing for years now, and i havnt found it, and i think the reason for that is the new games are just copy's of old once, been there done that! u rarely see anything uniq :(

maybe a fighting style or a skill system, but in the end the games are the same. and the first time exp will be the best i guess :(

• beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351

DAOC is having a resurgence lately and all the servers are about to be combined so it will average about 3 plus k everynight on the server and this doesnt include people that come back for this reason. All you need is one good strong server! 

Sorry dude missed that Ain't those titles part my bad.....to be honest I tried everything and only thing I can find like DAOC is DAOC lol :)

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I concur. It is the air of mystery and challenge and exploration that is so lacking. These are the things that made games of old compelling. Enemies were harder to kill. Running around on your own was gutsy if not suicidal. You were more inclined to group, and that grouping made you social. You didn't solo to the maximum level and then group; you grouped while traveling through the world. Also, part of it was not knowing what was around the corner, and not being directed to each place you should be going. You were invited to explore. You were not told, go into this mine and kill ten guys and come out, implying nothing else of import is inside.

Older games seemed to make an effort to feel like "worlds" and not games. That is the key. When you feel like a world and there is danger beyond city walls, you build a community. When anyone can smash five monsters at once without a problem, there is no danger, and there is no reason to get to know fellow players.

Thank you for starting this thread; it is good to remember what made older games great, and perhaps to indicate to some developer somewhere that that is still what people want, instead of the "theme park" games that are just rides through a world by yourself.

Edit: I hate typos!

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Beeker; I know what you mean, maybe I'll look into it. I've never played Albs to cap before. Perhaps that can be my new game :).

@Leo; Good to know I'm not alone heh. Hopefully someday we'll get a niche title that has the balls to go against the crowd.

Currently Playing: The Game

• TimstertooTimstertoo Member Posts: 6

Problem is people want instant gratification these days and a game that is actually challenging will never sell enormous amounts of subs.

So hopefully some developers will be gutsy enough to develope a nichegame and accept the fact that they'll never get more then 50k (just grabbed that amount out of the air) subscribers and budget for that. 

So maybe less mindblowing graphics and not 1000's of quests but some really hard ones and maybe a sandbox idea after you've finished them.

I mean for 50k * $15,- a month you should be able to keep something decent up and running? Maybe even for half or a third of those numbers? Don't shoot me if I'm way off, I'm no expert in developing and upkeeping MMORPG's!

If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement I'd be unstoppable!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Your not going to get any better than FFXI,it is what you want.Perhaps wait and see how they implement FFXIV,that game will be out sooner than most think it will be.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.