Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me get a new computer!

VoomekVoomek Member Posts: 55

So for christmas my parents are spotting me a bit of cash, and I'm saving up for the rest. Overall, I can spend about eight hundred dollars on the computer, just the tower, that is.

The ONLY thing I'm looking for is a good processor. I've got an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core, and I want an upgrade from that. I've got a Nvidia Ge-Force 9600 GT, so I'm set for the graphics card.

What would be a computer in my price range with a powerful processor?

Comments

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Dump the 9600 and instead build your own system. Use a Phenom II X3 720, put on 4 gigs of RAM and put a 4890 video card in it. This will run any MMO out with ease and give you an upgrade path that is solid. I would use the Gigabyte 770 based AM3 motherboard and DDR3 for the RAM. Buy case, HD and optical drive to taste.

• VoomekVoomek Member Posts: 55

Do you really expect me to have that much money? Haha. The 9600 GT fits my needs perfectly (I'm looking for a system to run Aion full blast) as it's double the memory I need of the games I play. I just need a better processor.

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by Voomek

Do you really expect me to have that much money? Haha. The 9600 GT fits my needs perfectly (I'm looking for a system to run Aion full blast) as it's double the memory I need of the games I play. I just need a better processor.

Ok, you said that you have 800 bucks to spend, so he built you a computer for around 800 bucks. Read below:

4890 video card: 200 bucks     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

Phenom II X3 720: 120 bucks:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

4 gigs of DDR3:  86 bucks      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227316

Gigabyte 770 MB:  85 bucks    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

So... That equals 491 dollars. That leaves you over 300 bucks for a case, HDD, and optical drive. More than enough. You can get a good HDD for like, 80 bucks, DVDR for 30, and case for 80-100. His suggestion was fine.

Uh... my friend has a card lower quality than mine, with a slightly nicer processor than mine, and he runs Aion on high...

Uh... my friend has a card lower quality than mine, with a slightly nicer processor than mine, and he runs Aion on high...

On high as in clicking the "high" preset, or actually maxing everything out? And at what resolution? And with what FPS? And which card is it?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

What you are asking for can be hard to do unless you know your way inside a computer.  If all you know how to do is stick something into its slot, this can be a little more complicated then that.

You can buy an individual tower.  I recommend shopping at Newegg for that.  In this case you can get a pretty good tower for $800, but if you are planning to re-use a video card you won't be getting the best bang for your buck.

The next solution is to buy a barebones kit.  A barebones kit usually has several pieces assembled that you just plug the rest in.  However, the limit to its assembly usually isn't known and knowing how to construct a whole PC is helpful in this case.  Typically the power supply isn't plugged in or attached.  The whole thing might not be assembled in which case its assembling the whole PC.

The best solution you have to know how to construct a whole PC.  You just buy all the components and assemble it.  You will get the best bang for your buck this way.

If you are getting a system for an mmo, the video card and processor aren't as important.  The most important aspect is system memory.  Getting a minimum of 4GB will have a huge impact.  The real test for an mmo engine is what happens when there are 1000 characters on your screen.  The processor isn't going to make much of an impact in that situation.

I think you should save a topic until you are ready to buy.  Due to how technology moves, things completely change in 6 months.  What might be a great system now would be considered value in the near future.  Over the next 6 months there will be a new processor line from Intel and AMD, and a new generation of video cards.

Actually, from the prices on NewEgg.com, I think I'm just going to buy a whole new computer.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

You might consider buying a new monitor so you can enjoy higher resolution in order to make use for your new GFX..

I've got a wide screen LCD monitor.

And by the way, my graphics card is double the memory and power of the recommended requirements for Aion, and I have the exact processor they recommend.

• shalldoomshalldoom Member UncommonPosts: 106

why stick with an old card when you have the money for a new one?

• windasmwindasm Member UncommonPosts: 86

You can probably get a Gateway Fx computer for around 800 bucks. It's made for gaming and it wouldnt cost much to upgrade abit.

That's one I was looking at. I think I'm just going to buy a computer off of NewEgg.

Originally posted by windasm

You can probably get a Gateway Fx computer for around 800 bucks. It's made for gaming and it wouldnt cost much to upgrade abit.

Knowing Gateway/Compaq/HP/Dell, it will be barely upgradable, if at all. The MB on them is usuall crap on a stick. Also, the FX series is like, 1100 dollars for the lowest end one, and it is not that amazing. Has a 4850 in it for gods sake. Any pre-built computer is going to be a rip off price, and anything pre-built "made for gaming" is usually not going to be amazing for gaming. They give a bit of ram, and a good CPU, and almost always skimp on the video card, unless you shell out serious cash for overpriced rigs.(see alienware)

Long story short? Build your own. It is not that difficult, even for someone that has never done it. You can even watch do-it-yourself videos on youtube on how to do it. And you will get exactly what you want, at a fraction of the cost.

Considering you are fine with your current 9600GT, it is pointless to spent 800$ on new rig.

If you want an upgrade, go ith low budget something like:

Pentium E5200
    Asus G31 MB
    4 GB DDR2 PC6400
    GTX 260
    550W PSU(brand one like Seasonic)

That's about 400$ - 430$.

You will want to have a screen capable of 1920*1080 and 24" at least :-P

• baddumsbaddums Member Posts: 72

Indeed, buy parts to build yourself off Newegg/Tigerdirect. You'll get a better bang for you buck, and as someone mentioned, watch Youtube videos on putting it together. The Interwebz has an almost infinite amount of information on how to do it. Make it a project with your dad, since he'll probably never see you once you get it built ;)

I don't think the video card is an issue right now.  You should replace your video card every 2~4 years if you wanna stay at top of graphical capabilities.  For an mmo, a new video card is unnecessary.  The 9600GT is capable of playing any game on the market so it isn't an issue.

Originally posted by Cleffy

I don't think the video card is an issue right now.  You should replace your video card every 2~4 years if you wanna stay at top of graphical capabilities.  For an mmo, a new video card is unnecessary.  The 9600GT is capable of playing any game on the market so it isn't an issue.

Capable of playing? Yes. To what capability is a whole other issue. A 7600gt is CAPABLE of playing any MMO out there (yes, even AoC) but it will play like crap. To be honest, your video card should be your most frequently changed item. A dual core CPU from 3 years ago will hold up well in against the current line of MMOs. When I upgraded from a 3700 AMD, single core CPU to a 6000 AMD dual core, I gained only a marginal amount of FPS. When I upgraded to a quad core, I once again, only got a small boost. When I went from a 7600gt to a 8600gt (not even a huge upgrade at all) the difference was night and day. Then, when I upgraded to a 260 GTX, it was crazy how different AoC and other games played, and what I could do.

Upgrading from 2gigs of RAM to 4 gigs? A small gain, mostly in load times. 4 gigs to 8 gigs? I am not sure if I gained anything.

So, upgrading anything before your video card (with the exception of VERY old components) is usually not the best of ideas. If you have a dual core, you are more than likely doing just fine in the CPU department unless they are the really old ones from when Intel first released dual cores.

After having a q9550 quad core, and having my wifes e8500 wolfdale dual core, I would just stick with the dual core. Only one game has even dented the e8500, and that was GTA4. 99.9% of the time, my q9550 is sitting around twiddling it's thumbs, while my 260GTX is maxed out.

The graphics card is most definately not the issue.

It's not like I'm looking to run Crysis.

And Aion says you only need 256MB of storage on the graphics card, and they recommend a 7 series NVIDIA, where I've got a 9 series.

And Aion says you only need 256MB of storage on the graphics card, and they recommend a 7 series NVIDIA, where I've got a 9 series.

Why spending 800$ then? Why upgrading or making this post at all?

The recommended specs are not to play the game on the highest settings, and will not hold up in large PvP/raids or even crowded towns with settings even on medium-high. Take WoW for example. WotLK says that the recommended specs for the video card are:

PC: 3D Graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capabilities with 128 MB VRAM, such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT class card or better

I would love to see what you manage with that. With graphics maxed out, and 1920x1080 resolution, a 260GTX jitters in crowded towns, and is brought to it's knees in raids even with the settings turned down. Mass PvP (such as an AV) can also crush this. My wife, who is on a 250GTS is even worse off, and cant even max her graphics.

How about AoC:

Recommended

Disk Drive : Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive

Hard Drive Space : 30 GB

Operating System : Windows Vista

Processor : Core 2 Duo E6600 or equivalent

RAM : 2 GB

Video Card : 512 MB DirectX 9.0c Graphics Card with Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or equivalent)

Try playing AoC with that setup, and see how far you get. You wont get even close to max graphics, even with the DX9 client. With DX10 (and assuming you are using at least an 8series card) the system would be completely decimated and unplayable.

Long story short? Recommended settings are meant as a "you can play the game at a steady FPS with medium settings". That is all. If you are fine with that, then you are fine with that. Whatever. I am not sure why you would ask about upgrading then.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Voomtek I have to admit to not understand your reasoning. The system I gave you the base suggestions on will run ANYTHING well not just an MMO but ANY game. It has enough horse power to last a while, good overclocking options if you want to push the processor life out a bit and is in the DDR3 AM3 platform so you have a processor upgrade path. I stayed within your price needs and even gave you a HEFTY video upgrade and you are actually complaining about the options?

I mean if you do not like AMD that is cool go with Intel but your arguments seem to be about keep an OLD video card. You asked for advice and you got some great advice here, you seem determined to just ignore it after asking for it and that is your chose, good luck with whatever you get but for me the advice ends.

I am bang for your buck, and I agree you will get more bang for your buck if you use your old video card.  When it comes to mmos, they don't rely as heavily on the video card and rely more on system memory and processor speed.

When you are thinking about performance gains, you have to keep them in context.  With system memory you will notice a huge gain from 1~2GB, but not much from 4~8 GB.  This is because there aren't any 64-bit games on the market.  They can only utilize 3.5 GB memory and it includes 512MB for your video card.  The system memory will affect how many objects can be loaded into memory at a time for fetch.  Its most notable when there are 1000 players on screen with 5 different pieces of visual differences.  In an mmo it is probably the most utilized piece in your system.

When it comes to your video card, the standards are much different in how they will affect performance.  They vary game to game, and typically if you can get a card that can display 100 characters in a game it can probably display 1000 if you have sufficient system memory.

A quad core verse dual core processor depends on the mmo as well.  Most mmos are designed for a single processor core so a dual core is fine.  However future mmos will be multi-core based making quad core more ideal.

My suggestion is simple.  Instead of buying a complete tower with a new video card, buy a barebones kit or the parts and construct your own PC.  Pick which one when you are ready to buy.  Like if it was right now I would make a Core i7 machine because your budget allows for it, then stick your 9600GT inside.

That makes sense.

However, is the 9600 GT really THAT outdated? I didn't think it was, because I could run WoW at about 35 and sometimes up to 60 fps on full graphics. I ran PvP fine.

And as for Aion, I beleive it IS a 64-bit game.

Also, what I want to know, is how come my friend doesn't have a graphics card as nice as mine, but has a nicer processor, and can run Aion full blast? That's what doesn't make your guys' logic make sense. My graphics card, if it works like my friends, should be fine. Explanation?