Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XP ??bit

Howler54Howler54 Member UncommonPosts: 133

Hey guys.

I'm buying a new computer , and getting one with a memory on 4GB. It says that I need 64bit OS to take full advantage of the 4GB memory. I'm going to use my  XPprofessional OS, how do I know if it's 32- or 64bits ?

Thanks

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

If its XP 64-bit it would say so. Also you would notice it because most applications won't work. I highly doubt your version is 64-bit.

• jaxsjesterjaxsjester Member Posts: 5

Do not waste your money on XP 64-bit. Get vista if anything

• JosexphJosexph Member Posts: 121

Actually, 64bit will run mostly anything you throw at it, ive been running it for about 2 years now (vista though). Benchmarks show that it is capable of shorter load times, much more cleaner proformance and etc...

But to know exactly what copy your running, click start > run > type in "dxdiag", then look where it says operating system and there ya go.

And jaxsjester, vista also has a 64bit os...fail

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

There is little point buying vista with win7 so close before launch. In terms of 64bit over 32bit, the 64bit is always a better choice.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

64-bit vista is different. Vista supports Virtualization through OS, so making 32-bit applications operate in a virtual 32-bit environment isn't a problem.

• Howler54Howler54 Member UncommonPosts: 133

Okay cool, thanks guys. Think I'll use my 32bit OS until Win 7 comes out.

• jaxsjesterjaxsjester Member Posts: 5

Wise choice imo, not that I have a problem with 64-bit. Just had too many experiences with it. Take the lesser of two evils if you can't afford a mac, lol

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

A 32 bit operating system can recognize 4 gigabytes maximum of system memory.  This includes graphics memory which will be recognized first. So if you have a 512 megabyte memory graphics card Window XP 32bit with 4 GB of RAM it will state that it has about 3.2 - 3.5 GB of available system memory.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by Xasapis

There is little point buying vista with win7 so close before launch. In terms of 64bit over 32bit, the 64bit is always a better choice.

Actually almost everyone right now is offering free upgrade to Win7 for purchasing Vista now. Even online mail order shops are offering the deal.

I don't think I'll ever run 32 bit again, 64 is getting more streamlined.... probobly the ONE good thing that came from vista... and even that didn't really come from it lol