Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer power question

RutterkinRutterkin Member UncommonPosts: 33

So I bought a GeForce GTS 250 video card today and installed it. Every thing started up fine a I was online for a while checking out my daily sites. When I loaded up Champions I got past the authentication but my computer lost power before the character selection came up.

I know a bit about computers but not a lot and I thought my power supply could handle it. On the box it says the minimum power specs are 475W with a combined 12V current rating of 26A or more. My power source is 525W 12V 25A. I'm not sure what the difference between 25A and 26A is so I'm thinking I'll need to pick up a bigger power source tomorrow.

What do you think? Am I off in guessing why my computer lost power? It's on now and only crashes if I try loading u p a game which is going to kick the card into full use.

Comments

• Twinfun5Twinfun5 Member UncommonPosts: 4

I wish I could help, but not much others here will probably be able to help either. You should post in Toms Hardware, you'll get the help you need for this kind of problem there.

Good luck! =D

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Rutterkin

So I bought a GeForce GTS 250 video card today and installed it. Every thing started up fine a I was online for a while checking out my daily sites. When I loaded up Champions I got past the authentication but my computer lost power before the character selection came up.
    I know a bit about computers but not a lot and I thought my power supply could handle it. On the box it says the minimum power specs are 475W with a combined 12V current rating of 26A or more. My power source is 525W 12V 25A. I'm not sure what the difference between 25A and 26A is so I'm thinking I'll need to pick up a bigger power source tomorrow.
    What do you think? Am I off in guessing why my computer lost power? It's on now and only crashes if I try loading u p a game which is going to kick the card into full use.

What else do you have running.. cpu, HDs in Raid??? etc

A good 475 watt should be ok if you dont have a 125watt cpu ... if it is a dell/hp/compaq etc then the PSU needs upgraded

Dumb question? did you update your drivers

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

It sounds like you're on the right track though I would expect your PSU to be able to handle it, if you could post some more info about your setup like # of hard drives and PSU make/model or a pic of the side sticker on the PSU.

Also does the video card have 1 or 2 power connectors? Are you using 4 to 6 pin adapters for it? If the PSU is a multirail PSU you could possibly use a 4 to 6 pin adapter (GPU should've come with one) to join 2 separate power lines into the 6 pin and see if that helps.

Another thing you can do is go underclock the GPU to minimum specs which will lower the power draw and see if it runs then, at least for the time being. Lastly, it could just be a heat issue, make sure your CPU fan/heatsink and PSU fan/heatsink are dusted out. The PSU can collect a lot of dust in there and can be easy to overlook.

• Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by noquarter

It sounds like you're on the right track though I would expect your PSU to be able to handle it, if you could post some more info about your setup like # of hard drives and PSU make/model or a pic of the side sticker on the PSU.

Also does the video card have 1 or 2 power connectors? Are you using 4 to 6 pin adapters for it? If the PSU is a multirail PSU you could possibly use a 4 to 6 pin adapter (GPU should've come with one) to join 2 separate power lines into the 6 pin and see if that helps.

Another thing you can do is go underclock the GPU to minimum specs which will lower the power draw and see if it runs then, at least for the time being. Lastly, it could just be a heat issue, make sure your CPU fan/heatsink and PSU fan/heatsink are dusted out. The PSU can collect a lot of dust in there and can be easy to overlook.

Noquarter is talking about these www.evga.com/.../files/pcie%20pwr%20adapter.jpg i believe. We need to know the stats of your PC, primarily how many optical drives, hard drives.. How many fans your running to include heatsing fan. What processor are you running? Have you overclocked andything? What video card is it specifically? Some models come factory overclocked. Even the brand of power supply you have will help. Cheaper brands dont really live up to their expectations. How old is the power supply? My old computer the kids use runs with a 250 off from a 500w power supply and i haven't heard of any issues with it yet.

To make life simple for us download cpu-z and tell us what it says.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

The difference beetwen 25A and 26A on the 12V is 12W.  That difference is not a life and death situation.

The total wattage you get from 25A is - 300W. A number close to a computer generic power consumption under load measured made at the outlet, which ofcourse means it is lower after the PSU with everything combined, ie not only 12V.

I would post the model of your PSU befor getting a new one, chances are that there is something else that is at error.

They don't calculate 26A for the Videcard alone, it is a manufacturers generic number to be on the safe side of things. For instance your card is speced to 150W at max, which is not the same as the number it takes it only that it won't take more then that.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"