Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 things I didn't care for (closed beta participant)

NonnusNonnus Member Posts: 13

Reposted from the FE Official forums:

Trust me. I wanted to be completely onboard. I have been jonesing for a new game for a very long time and I completely applaud the new genre (Wasteland is one of my favorite games of all time). I came in with a very open mind and was ready to be won over. Also (just for background) know that I'm a pretty old guy for MMO's and I am crafting 1st, fighting 2nd, and PvP not at all. Here are my list of things I just didn't care for in no particular order. IMHO, there are many things on this list that hurt the long-term staying power of the game. Some are picky, some are personal preference, but I think a majority of them are common to many MMO'ers and will need to be addressed for the game to be a runaway success:

1. Horribly long load time when starting up the game (probably the only one on my list that isn't terribly debatable.)

2. No differentiation in crafted goods. The materials need to have a quality rating and that quality rating (along with skill level in that skill) needs to translate to the quality of the finished product. Otherwise, everyone is making the exact same goods and the market is saturated with cloned goods.

3. Clicky combat. This actually takes away from the immersion for me. I don't want easy mode. I want interesting. How good I am at clicking should have no bearing on how good my avatar is at killing a prairie chicken. It should be about my avatars skills and my choices for special abilities. Who complained about how the classics did it? EQ, WoW, DAoC, all of the 1st and 2nd Gen MMO's combat were MUCH more fun than this.

4. No shared bank slots. What's the use in having multiple characters if you can't share goods between them? The game screams at me to create a crafting character and a combat character, yet gives me no mechanics for them to interact.

5. No Housing (see number 4). One or the other at least, and there really should be both. I need a place to hang my hat. And not "after release." That can mean anything. No housing, no subscription. Period.

6. Limited Soloability. This could be a bi-product of #3. Even at the beginning levels I found it very difficult to solo. I know it's an MMO, so don't give me that. I do my share of grouping, I just don't want to be forced all of the time.

7. Bank contents don't transfer between cities. I know it's not realistic for contents to transfer between cities, but there is a reason why it's done this way in every MMO that I can think of...the game is less fun without it.

8. Gamma is controlled outside the game. I said some of them were picky and this one qualifies, but it is still a big deal to me. If I can't see what I'm fighting, I don't enjoy the game.

9. No variety in combat. I was literally doing the same exact thing every time I fought something. No strategy, no thinking, just lots and lots of clicking.

10. Weapon switching very clunky. It was so cool to be able to equip such a variety of weapons and have them all at my disposal. I really thought this was going to be a strength. Instead, I found myself having to switch out of combat mode, switch weapons, and then go back into combat mode. By that time, I was better off just shooting the target with my rifle at close range.

In closing, there were some positives (genre, salvaging, environment, npc interaction) but they are really outweighed by the negatives for me. I also have no doubt that I am probably in the minority (at least for the people reading this forum) on most of these items. I'm not just spewing vitriol here, though. I think these are fair and constructive criticisms and I would love to play the game if they make it a little friendlier. I'm not sure I can ever get past the FPS aspect, though.

Comments

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

I'm sorry man but did you not read the game description before trying it out?

This game is in someway a FPS game. So yeah in an Fps game you have to aim and click.

It's not too hard to understand tbh.

Also crafted item quality depending on skills sounds good.

Challenging gameworld that promotes grouping is a plus.

Don't play a Fps MMO if you don't like Fps lol.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

3. With melee which I focused on throughout my CB testing, I thought the clicking made the game go well although sometimes I did feel silly clicking like mofo to kill a mutant cockroach, But i definitely felt like skills played a huge part in melee to the point where I couldn't use all my skills before most bosses were dead.

4. The game screams at me not make an alt so I can do everything myself in a self-absorbed world where I am my own best friend, but rather it screamed find a clan, make friends with the other half that you need either crafter or combatant and work together with other people.

6. I never had a problem with soloing up through s2, I solo'd a decent portion (everything but the prison instance) of Kingman as well, I thought it had an excellent balance in that department because while Kingman was not required to get the lvls to move up to s2 it allowed players to experience more group content.

7. My sector vault remained constant no matter where I was unless they made changes since I last played.

9. Once again I felt with a melee character I was just beginning to unlock the strategy and tactics of combat as I began s2 and the faction mutations only deepened the character development.

The rest I agree with to some degree or another esp. the load time aspect

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• CathalaodeCathalaode Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Nonnus

Trust me. I wanted to be completely onboard. I have been jonesing for a new game for a very long time and I completely applaud the new genre (Wasteland is one of my favorite games of all time). I came in with a very open mind and was ready to be won over. Also (just for background) know that I'm a pretty old guy for MMO's and I am crafting 1st, fighting 2nd, and PvP not at all. Here are my list of things I just didn't care for in no particular order. IMHO, there are many things on this list that hurt the long-term staying power of the game. Some are picky, some are personal preference, but I think a majority of them are common to many MMO'ers and will need to be addressed for the game to be a runaway success:
    1. Horribly long load time when starting up the game (probably the only one on my list that isn't terribly debatable.)

2. No differentiation in crafted goods. The materials need to have a quality rating and that quality rating (along with skill level in that skill) needs to translate to the quality of the finished product. Otherwise, everyone is making the exact same goods and the market is saturated with cloned goods.

3. Clicky combat. This actually takes away from the immersion for me. I don't want easy mode. I want interesting. How good I am at clicking should have no bearing on how good my avatar is at killing a prairie chicken. It should be about my avatars skills and my choices for special abilities. Who complained about how the classics did it? EQ, WoW, DAoC, all of the 1st and 2nd Gen MMO's combat were MUCH more fun than this.

4. No shared bank slots. What's the use in having multiple characters if you can't share goods between them? The game screams at me to create a crafting character and a combat character, yet gives me no mechanics for them to interact.

5. No Housing (see number 4). One or the other at least, and there really should be both. I need a place to hang my hat. And not "after release." That can mean anything. No housing, no subscription. Period.

6. Limited Soloability. This could be a bi-product of #3. Even at the beginning levels I found it very difficult to solo. I know it's an MMO, so don't give me that. I do my share of grouping, I just don't want to be forced all of the time.

7. Bank contents don't transfer between cities. I know it's not realistic for contents to transfer between cities, but there is a reason why it's done this way in every MMO that I can think of...the game is less fun without it.

8. Gamma is controlled outside the game. I said some of them were picky and this one qualifies, but it is still a big deal to me. If I can't see what I'm fighting, I don't enjoy the game.

9. No variety in combat. I was literally doing the same exact thing every time I fought something. No strategy, no thinking, just lots and lots of clicking.

10. Weapon switching very clunky. It was so cool to be able to equip such a variety of weapons and have them all at my disposal. I really thought this was going to be a strength. Instead, I found myself having to switch out of combat mode, switch weapons, and then go back into combat mode. By that time, I was better off just shooting the target with my rifle at close range.
    In closing, there were some positives (genre, salvaging, environment, npc interaction) but they are really outweighed by the negatives for me. I also have no doubt that I am probably in the minority (at least for the people reading this forum) on most of these items. I'm not just spewing vitriol here, though. I think these are fair and constructive criticisms and I would love to play the game if they make it a little friendlier. I'm not sure I can ever get past the FPS aspect, though.

Personally I would have to say I like some of the decisions listed here, and a lot of the other ones I don't really care about.

1) Could just be perspective. Long load times are a pain either way. One thumb down.

2) Not a big deal to me. If you want to make money at crafting, make something people want. Economics 101.

3) I like it. A game should reflect more on the player than the avatar IMO. Two thumbs Up.

4) Keeps everyone in line. I think the idea is that they don't want you just using your crafter to make stuff for your fighter. Keeps the game running, and allows for some form of an economy. One thumb Up.

5) Don't really care, I wouldn't spend a great deal of time there anyhow. Houses, I see as a bonus.

6) Difficulty... Oh I missed when that used to be in games. I agree with limited soloability to a degree, you should be able to do stuff by yourself, but every once in a while you should need a buddy. One thumb up.

7) Hmm, seems kinda odd. Stylistic choice I guess. I don't hate it, but I don't like it. One thumb down.

8)  Odd, makes getting the Gamma right take a little longer. But it seems like something you could fix in 2 tries tops. Meh.

9)  Could just be how you're playing it. Someone might say the same thing about Mount and Blade, but I love it anyways. I'll reserve judgement.

10) Seems like a stylistic choice to me. You either use the rifle or the shotgun. Seems logical to me.

That leaves the game with 2 thumbs up. And that's with the flaws, I'll have to check it out.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Yeah it is long but oh well, I just take a few hits off my pipe while waiting.lol

Maybe this might be something they will look into once the game launches.
    I think the combat is great, there are still hotkeys you can press. But I think its a nice change of pace. I for one am getting tired of the EQ type combat system, pretty much every MMO out there save for DDO, DF, AOC have pretty much the same combat system.

Hmm I thought there was shared banks, I guess i might be thinking of another game. I got the buzz on now.

I think player housing is cool, Loved it in SWG, EQ2 but to tell you the truth I spent about 5% or less of my time in my house.   Id love to see it happen in this game eventually but its no biggie for me if it dont.

I don't mind forced grouping, I just recently went back to FFXI cuz I love to group so much.  But yeah It is kinda hard to solo depending on where you start off at. 

Nothing to say about this. heh

In my opinion Its not dark enough for me at night time.  I want to be hiding out and snipe some mofos and they have no clue where Im at unless they have night vision goggles.  

But what MMO isn't like that sometimes?   Ive played a lot of them an I usually end up using the same pattern unless something out of the blue messes that up. Even with FFXI its auto attack do a skillchain here stun there. And IMO FFXI has the best combat system out there.
    You don't need to exit combat mode when you change weapons I always hold down Ctrl and use the scroll wheel to change weapons. It still is a bit clunky I wonder if you can set up some hotkeys to make it easier. 
    For me, I hate FPS, no depth to them what so ever. The only thing going for them is the story which can't keep me going alone.   Its not that I don't like the combat, I love FPS style combat its the lack of character development and weapon customization.  I love FE and I loved Mass Effect,  I have never been so entertained by a game that has had FPS combat like these games. Oh yah and Morrowind and Oblivion, Morowind was the better of the 2.

Everyone has there likes and dislikes if we were all the same life would be boring.   Maybe the game might grow on you enough to overlook these things. Im going to play this game for sure its a nice change of pace for me Ive been playing MMO's since EQ first launched so Ive been around the block just like you.  Its just best to play games with an Open mind.

• NonnusNonnus Member Posts: 13

Wow!  Well thought out replies and fair rebuttals...is this the right website?

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

4. The game screams at me not make an alt so I can do everything myself in a self-absorbed world where I am my own best friend, but rather it screamed find a clan, make friends with the other half that you need either crafter or combatant and work together with other people.

Unfortunately it lets a single crafter do too much.  This really isn't the case.

It should be the case, but the way the game is designed... its not.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Lol looks like you went in there expecting something like wow, seriously though your review is bad.

• NonnusNonnus Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

Lol looks like you went in there expecting something like wow, seriously though your review is bad.

Nope I didn't want WoW, I can assure you.  What made you think that?  I mean, it's easy to criticize and not so easy to come up with lucid arguements.  "Your review is bad" means absolutely nothing.  If you were  to tell us that you felt my spelling was bad, reasoning unsound (and why), or something like that.  By what you posted, though, it only appears that you like the game and wish to somehow damage me because I didn't care for it.  I have no problem taking criticism, or I wouldn't have posted.  Just offer something of value up or don't waste our time.

• FedacorrFedacorr Member Posts: 45

Asking for items with varying 'quality' (really, stats) is asking for a very major change to the game.  It's not going to happen any time soon, if ever.

Items in this game are references to a basic standard copy of the item, thus, all the same.  Adding 'variances' to that would mean every single item would have to be redesigned to have much extra data, making it much larger, making the database much larger, and slower.   Not a good thing.

There are some experimental items in crafting, put in as a test, to make some 'randomly different' rifles.  They're not really random, they just give you a random choice of about three or four at most different versions of the weapon, with varying range, or damage, or magazine size.   Again, doing this for all items means tripling or worse the number of database items to track.

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393

Completely disagree on this one.

For a game that has a fairly deep crafting system and styles itself as featuring a player economy, having universal banks would be ridiculous.

Localized banking means traders can actually trade, in my opinion.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Actually its less than a minute if you time it.

This would be like revamping 50% of the game since it so much focussed on crafting and then having  to put all the combat data in for all those weapons would be rediculous

This isnt a fantasy game where fireballs are going to burn your enemy in one click.

This i could agree on

Better have a properly made system then a rushed one before release.

I've never heard of this one, its so easy to solo this game in sector one if you were talking about section 2 and 3 then i might say its a legit response.

Yes they do.

No comment.

Considering its a fps, i dont know how you could possible not be thinking? i mean were you watching tv while clicking?also how is this any different than any other game out there?

Use shortcuts like ctrl+1,+2...

Now happy

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

I agree with this guy.  The review was kind of like asking for a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich when you're already chewing on one.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Fedacorr

Asking for items with varying 'quality' (really, stats) is asking for a very major change to the game.  It's not going to happen any time soon, if ever.
    Items in this game are references to a basic standard copy of the item, thus, all the same.  Adding 'variances' to that would mean every single item would have to be redesigned to have much extra data, making it much larger, making the database much larger, and slower.   Not a good thing.
    There are some experimental items in crafting, put in as a test, to make some 'randomly different' rifles.  They're not really random, they just give you a random choice of about three or four at most different versions of the weapon, with varying range, or damage, or magazine size.   Again, doing this for all items means tripling or worse the number of database items to track.

And that's why it's going to fail!

It's so funny to see people talking about a DEEP crafting system.

What DEEP is there in FE's crafting system? It's gather, clicky click and wait REALTIME for an item to guarantee to finish.

Everyone is going to make the same stuff and flood the Market with it!! Economy will be non-existent because of, as there is no item decay and items are not removed from the game, except ammo!

If you people really want to understand the concept of a DEEP crafting system. Take a look at SWG pre-NGE !!

Now that was trully a DEEP crafting system! No game as of yet to date has ever matched that! And sertainly not FE! Not in a mile away!

I don't say FE's crafting system is a complete joke or horribly bad. It has it's fun elements, but when you are couple weeks down the road, you will notice it's major flaws.

Cheers

• darksider27darksider27 Member Posts: 44

Firstly, FE is as much an FPS as tabula rasa was.  Yes, you can AIM and aiming at targets is required, but there are still statistical calculations that determine accuracy and damage, not JUST your skill.  Plus, the hit zones are either broken, or non-existant.  There is NO reward for aiming for the head over the body...in fact, aim for the body so you can hit them easier...I've had more than enough of this nonsensical combat philosophy in planetside (tho that was my only real complaint about the game when i came out).

Other then that, the major flaw is in the games coding...there are numerous graphical "glitches" and other problems related to interaction with the environment and creatures/objects in it which should NOT be in a game this close to its release.  At no point has this game felt "polished" or even unique...except perhaps in its setting...but most of us played the FAR superior Fallout3 a few months ago...why go back to a similar world with fewer options...except regarding crafting, of course.

The combat gets stale, VERY quickly, since EVERY battle is EXACTLY the same, with the only variances being which skills you use in which order and the difficulty of the mobs.  In a game that uses a reticule to aim, combat should be a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH (have i proven my point?) much more involving experience...instead of a slightly re-wrapped targeting method.

But like I said, the game FEELS unfinished, it feels rushed, and it feels like another mmo doomed to failure.  Maybe I'm wrong, but based on my knowledge of the industry and the gaming market, this game will not have staying power.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darksider
    I don't use xfire anymore.
    I <3 Steam =D

• LathowLathow Member Posts: 36

The only part in this game I like is the FPS combat play. Everything eles Blow's. There some good texture's and model textures, but the 3d models for buildings....and small object's...Suck hardcore. The Voice's were great, story I thought was a great one to start with too. But I did'nt feel like Iwas in a wasteland...i just felt like I was in a poor abandoned town in the middle of a very (none beautiful -even for a destructive environment-) place.

I Understand this is a beta...but they have Years of work to go if they want to make this game good. They will not be able to compete with other leading games at all. I was Very Unimpressed with this game.

An MMO Trail freak.

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by darksider27

Firstly, FE is as much an FPS as tabula rasa was.  Yes, you can AIM and aiming at targets is required, but there are still statistical calculations that determine accuracy and damage, not JUST your skill.  Plus, the hit zones are either broken, or non-existant.  There is NO reward for aiming for the head over the body...in fact, aim for the body so you can hit them easier...I've had more than enough of this nonsensical combat philosophy in planetside (tho that was my only real complaint about the game when i came out).

Other then that, the major flaw is in the games coding...there are numerous graphical "glitches" and other problems related to interaction with the environment and creatures/objects in it which should NOT be in a game this close to its release.  At no point has this game felt "polished" or even unique...except perhaps in its setting...but most of us played the FAR superior Fallout3 a few months ago...why go back to a similar world with fewer options...except regarding crafting, of course.

The combat gets stale, VERY quickly, since EVERY battle is EXACTLY the same, with the only variances being which skills you use in which order and the difficulty of the mobs.  In a game that uses a reticule to aim, combat should be a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH (have i proven my point?) much more involving experience...instead of a slightly re-wrapped targeting method.
    But like I said, the game FEELS unfinished, it feels rushed, and it feels like another mmo doomed to failure.  Maybe I'm wrong, but based on my knowledge of the industry and the gaming market, this game will not have staying power.

QFT

Yea got into the beta was really looking forward to this game followed it before there was even an alpha.

Basicly this game is a total amature event, Bad Code , Terrable Animation , Awfull art direction (asian buildings in the grand canyon really ? ) 

The combat is awfull, This is like tabula rasa except not 1/10th as good , It feels like the matrix online only not 1/10th as good.

Everything in the game just like Ewww, They talk about factions ow yeahh join a faction by doing this or that for them,

When what you really do is after the tutorial mission's you plopped into some stupid room and go to a console and pick from a list of factions and then your magicaly in that area. I just hated the way it was done. 

This game isnt worth the box fee definitly not worth a subscription fee in my opinion this game is defintily not ready to go on sale.

Its game's like this that make me mad there is no consumer regulation on these mmo products. This game will shut down.

All in all its a shame it was one i looked forward to for years.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Been CB testing this one for months now. I love post-apocalyptic design and I love FPS games, but I have to say this game is just pedestrian on both aspects. First, I felt the FPS combat system was one of the clunkiest, least pleasant ones I've played. There is just no fluidity to it - especially if you're playing ranged. 

It's very good that the crafting is so dominant in the game, but the process and the results themselves feel somewhat unimaginative to me. 

Same goes for the vehicles/travelling and even the world design: Good in concept, weak in implementation.

So in short, I love the idea of this game, but not what it has turned out to be.

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

1. I've always thought the load time was due to scanning files aggressively due to it being beta..hopefully that's the case.

2. Here's the weird thing about crafting. You can make your basic,, Improved and Advanced goods. The un-savvy will flood the market with the low quality goods because they are faster to make and don't know any better. Either way, the realtime price of crafting will slow the flood of crafted goods. (I remember asking for a component from someone and they said they might be able to make it for me in a few hours...)

3. Here's the thing with the combat. If you go melee you just hold down the button and aim, easy peasy. And it's not really aiming its just sort of keeping the thing centered. (the combat is the worst of FPS and MMOs sludged together)

4. You can created a crafter that will be really good at combat and there isn't really a need for a pure combat character. Min-maxing isn't necessary.

5. Housing, guess it's planned. No bigs for me.

6. Hmm...as a melee character I solo'd the entire game including a lot of group content.

7. There are 3 banks. Sector vaults have the same contents no matter where you go and are in a lot of the cities(would assume it was only sector wide).  Barter vaults are in limited cities, but still carry the same contents regardless of where you are. The VIP vaults are even more limited...but still carry the same content.s

8. Gamma outside of the game is just bad design. A sign of things to come.

9. As I've said in other posts, 90% of the game I just held down the mouse button/s.

10.  Weapon switching is a pain. Most people found a way around that by remapping the keys.

---

Tips for those currently in Beta.

1. Get FIrst Aid up to about 47 (iirc) and get Extended Care

It's the single most important skill in the entire bloody game.

2. Don't settle for basic equipment, learn the improved and advanced or buy it.

It's much better quality at the same use requirement.

3. Leave Sector 1 and check out the rest of the game. My bet is you'll be disappointed.