Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to gaming - what makes a good gaming headset?

MCsolterasMCsolteras Member Posts: 2

Hello all!

I am a designer, looking to break into the gaming headset market, wanted to know what you all think would make the ultimate gaming headset.  What is most important to you: comfort (over the ear / on the ear / one ear ; foam / leather pads), sound quality, mic quality, etc?  Would you like the headset to resemble the game you are playing i.e., fantasy, medieval, sci-fi/furturistic?  What are the things that you like / dislike about the headsets that are currently out there?  Do multiple cord options intrest you (USB, 3.5 jack, 2.5 jack, ipod 4-pole jack)?  Does customization of the earcup by switching out the face plate or headband intrest you (multiple genres)?  What is the price range you are willing to pay for this headset?  Any additional info you would like to add is much appreciated. 

Thanks so much for your time, we hope to make a  headset / headphones that is truly reflective of the gamer and their needs.

Cheers! 

-Michelle

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Comfort #1. Over the ear leather pads.
    Sound Quality #2. This includes add in features like surround sound
    Mic Quality #3.

Headset themes completely unimportant.

Having the actual cords for surround sound interest me instead of it using USB.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

The ability to block sounds from outside sources. aka the wife.

UNfortunately that same feature tends to build Wife Aggro.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• MCsolterasMCsolteras Member Posts: 2

Thanks so much for the feedback!  I really appreciate your time. Thanks again!

• CosbySweaterCosbySweater Member UncommonPosts: 37

I use the Pulsar SX

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=32920628

I think it is pretty decent.  I have read reviews that people complain about the ear cups being too small, but it fits my ears fine.  I have not used it for great lengths so I'm not sure if it gets uncomfortable after awhile.  Vitrual 7.1 Surround Sound and you can turn on a feature that reacts to ingame actions by vibrating the headset. 

Also the microphone works really good.  You can position it however you need to and it registers your voice well.

• am385am385 Member UncommonPosts: 3

I love my triton AX Pro's 5.1 headset. Interchangable leatehr and foam so you can have foam at lan parties to listen to others near by and leather to block out sounds. The are comfy and have a detachable mic with great sound quality. Can use 5.1 3.5mm jacks plus headphone jack or Toslink Optical with Dolby Digital support and USB Mic. Has Dolby Pro Logic as well. Can use with PC xbox(has option for xbox headset adaptor for mic), and PS3 (usb mic works). 

I love them but they were on the pricy side. $150

Cons, orange light up Triton emblem on headset and multiple power adaptors.

If someone could create a design similar with less cables and ability to switch between Optical and Analog 5.1 on the Dolby Digital converter box as well as carry the power through the main connection making an overly simplified version of said system it would be amazing.

Concerns,

1. Comfort (both the way they fit on ears and weight)

2. Sound quality 

3. Mic (allways other mic options but i prefer on the headset)

I would think that if you were into the modular idea like you were mentioning. Ear pads that are modular would be awesome. Make 2 sizes of ear pad in both leather and foam for average and larger ears. Dont worry about modular covers for role playing feel.

Looks wise. I think that looks wise should be the last category. A true gamer wants comfort and accurate sounds over looks. Something subtle but modern would not only outlast other designs but span a greater market of PC and console users.

Closing notes, I know 5.1 is new to the headset world, but i love it. You can tell where stuff is comming from better and if there is no 3d sound in the game. Dolby Pro Logic makes the game sound so much better.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your design.

-Andrew

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

Wireless is important so I can duck out to the kitchen, turn the sprinkler off, check the kids, and so forth without missing on conversation. If it is wireless, a recharging dock (even if this is also the wireless port) with spare battery is important.

Short microphone that doesn't block my mouth if I want to eat/drink (like a mobile headset).

Does not have to be fancy looks, as this costs too much, prefer practicality over looks.

Adaptable connections are good, however this is not an issue I find highly problematic.

Cost wise I prefer not to spend too much on a headset unless it is wireless, even then most of the current models on the market are expensive as they try to look good and have too many features while being wireless. A cheap, affordable wireless would sell well with gamers i think.

• Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108

1. Comfort,  I play for hours at a time so its a big issue

2. Sound quality, ...

3. Mic, Convenience over a desktop mic so it stays in the same position when i talk so others can hear clearly.

As far as jacks are concerned i don't care to much but i've had issues with usb headsets that i have to plug them in before i start the game for them to work.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

1. Comfort, covering the ears completely, soft no leather imitation pads. <- I could make this point all over the list. But a headset I can't wear due to soar ears is useless.

2. Quality of the headset. <- For instance, the cable and connector parts often break for me. And that also makes the headphone useless.

3. Quality of the sound.

4. Discreet looks.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• jdkskipjdkskip Member UncommonPosts: 120

1. As with all gamers, comfort is the most important.

2. Sound quality should be supurb.

3. So many headsets I have had in the past have a poor quality volume wheel. Dead spots or channel loss on the pot is very irratating.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

For gamers... comfort! always comfort! I cant stress how important comfort is. If it is not comfortable, gaming becomes a miserable experience, especially after any extended period of time.

Quality, put as much effort as you can into making sure the unit wont break or wear down fast. I go through head sets like a fat kid goes through cheesy poofs. A few prevalent issues tend to involve sound going out of one or both speakers, and the foam coming off of the ear pieces.

Strangely enough, a cord is important. If the cord has attachments between it and the input port... it can get in the way or add extra weight to the head set.

Finally, its all about looks. Looks are what you will market the product with, and everyone loves looking good in a head set. Just try to keep it from looking like giant mickey mouse ears and you are good.

Btw did I mention comfort?

Perhaps if you want to be really "cool" you could add a flip down 3D glasses feature to the head set. That seems to be the direction gaming is going, might as well start patenting those all in one designs now.