Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The funeral of AC

Comments

• DrOzDrOz Member Posts: 3

Macro macro macro macro macro... Camp camp camp camp camp camp..... Yup that sums it up about AC these days.. Oh ya and buff buff buff buff buff buff................

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110

I played AC1 from first day of retail. I agree in the beginning ( the glory days ) it was to absolute best mmorpg going. I played off and on for over 4yrs. In my opinion that things that destroyed the game were bots, macros, and third party developers left unchecked. If Turbine would have controlled and or assimilated the better 3rd party enhancements it could of preserved the base of the game and remained fun for the majority. Allowing macro's and low level characters running around with lvl 7 buffs made the game to easy and unbalanced. It was funny to see how low the server populations would drop when a monthly update would disable temporairly disable third party programs.
    Case in point............the new server, how long was it before there were bots spread all over buffing the masses? How long before the first person hit 126? The fact is the game content was developed assuming you were buffed to the 7's.......thus making even the purist player nod to the buffbots to be able to be competitive with the content.
    My hope for a new server was one where 3rd party programs were outlawed and made through the code not worth the effort of the 3rd party developers. Of course this would of amounted to 2 distinctly different games and I understand Turbine's reluctance to do this. SO what they ended up with is a great game for the cheating masses.....essentially making cheating a part of the game.
    If allowed cheats will undermine a games core. Were a society of game cheats though aren't we.....just look at the proliferation of game cheat/tips sites on the internet. We get stuck in a single player game were looking for the way around our befuddlement. I know I do. In a mmorpg it has more serious consequences. I hope the next generation games curtail and controll this type of activity with a strong hand. Turbine was weak wristed at best and I feel instramental in the eventual destruction of there really fine game.
    I left to never return after seeing just how bad things got on the new server so rapidly.......really sad to see.

• EvermanEverman Member Posts: 4

I played it for 3 yrs starting at the beginning. It definitly was the best of its time. Unfortunately things like xp chains (free xp, some characters were never played but reached max lvl), macros (really killed the game, helped drive the chains), devs made xping too easy later on. 4million xp/hr was good at one time, then we got dungeons where we could get 20m/hr. That really skewed things greatly.

• jimhusjimhus Member UncommonPosts: 180

Originally posted by cooldevo

Turbine is actually releasing a new expansion titled Throne of Destiny.  The link to the details is here:
    http://ac.turbinegames.com/index.php?page_id=265
    They are upgrading to take advantage of DX9.0, as well as upgrading from 16-bit to 32-bit and redoing 6,000 textures.  They will also be raising the max level (to 275) and adding "augmentation gems" that looks quite interesting.  They are also adding a new race for players, called Viamontians.  On top of all that, they are adding various miscellaneous things, such as many new monsters, new items, new titles,  new faces/hairstyles, a minimum of 20 new quests.  And that is just what they are telling us.
    Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing all these new things.
    Cooldevo

I don't think they have a prayer of matching the graphics in the newer games, but...

If they open new worlds, where there are 0 current players and everyone there starts at 1 - I will re-subscribe.

The Bots and macroing killed AC, IMO. For at least a while, there will be no one casting high level spells... buffbots or players.

Players who want to get to higher spells will do so without the benefit of buffbots: so it will last a bit longer.

I doubt Turbine will outlaw bots or macros - even if they open a new world. Shame... but we'll at least get a few months of "old-style" AC action - with updated graphics and such.

• bballermc333bballermc333 Member Posts: 283

ALright i have to say i dont miss the "OLD" AC but i do miss somethings that have changed, Acadamy Newb Fellows on DT, Arwic being a HUGE HANGOUT for all servers, a level 50 being a GOD.....i dont blam macros or buffbots, because its the players choices to use them

Guild wars..........

• cooldevocooldevo Member Posts: 371

I think macros (to a large extent) have ruined the game.

I don't mind the vendor macros too much, because it doesn't advance people in levels, although it gives out insane amounts of wealth.  I really don't like the macros that aide in combat and/or levelling.  They have take the challenge out of the game.  Just like finding loot.  What fun is it if you can run around Dereth and be told every baddie within a certain radius of you?  It gives a huge unfair advantage to people using the aide as well.  When I play it takes me a good few weeks to level.  But I know macroers that play about the same I do, and for every level I get they get about 2-3 levels.  I used to be 20 levels above a few players that started using macros and combat aides, and they are now about 40 levels above me.  They think it's weird that I wouldn't want to use anything, but I've always felt more pride at doing things the proper way, than the quickest easiest way out.

• jsand199jsand199 Member Posts: 57

A game that is 4 years old would have no choice but to be different than it was when it first started.

People would eventually get bored to tears with the same old tedius leveling.

I can agree that the game now is not nearly as fun as it was for me 4 years ago, but that is b/c I did really know what a MMORPG was until I picked up the AC and EQ boxes at Best Buy. I just happened to have picked it up when the game was less than a month old. So everything was new and fun to me at the time. Many other people feel the same way about the game.

• OnyxBMWOnyxBMW Member Posts: 207

I didn't read the majority of the 50+ posts but i'll comment anyways.

I played AC1 in beta and played it for 3 years, took 2 years off and rejoined to play some more.

IMO the game is what RPG's should be like on terms of the ease of leveling with 100's of levels. Really eliminates the feal of any grind when you can go through 3 levels a day at level 50+

IMO bots, macros and a lack of people on the servers are what are killing AC1. When only 500 people play throughout the entire server of 500+ square miles its just sad, really. Back in the day AC1 was beyond fun...especially when i had my axer back then on morningthaw and had trouble killing mud golems with an archer friend and when atlan weapons and the almighty composite bow were THE best weapons in the game to get and even level 40 people had them.

ahhhhhhh... I remember those good ol' days.  I do miss those.  There were almost too many people at that point in time.  Every major dungeon was camped by someone or some group.  But there was always a quest to go on, or something to do.  I'm a level 93ish life mage, and there isn't many quests he can do.  It's either so hard you need about 10 people or more, or I can solo it in about an hour or less.

That's why I've got my fingers crossed.  IMO AC was/is still one of the better out there in terms of it's basic mechanics and playability.  I'm hoping there will be some major content added, not just the graphics redone, and level cap changed.  We shall see though.... we shall see.  Just adding a couple of quests each month isn't enough anymore.  After a week or two, I've scoured all the web sites I can and have done almost all of them (unless they are too hard as per above).  The game developers seem to be behind the gun when it comes to updates.  They do add new content, but it is either too high-level (which is hard to complete nowadays with so few people around) or almost too easy.  And then not enough content.

• OnyxBMWOnyxBMW Member Posts: 207

The game merely needs to be promoted more before it surges again, imo...AC>EQ and anyone who says otherwise im gonna throttle them...all they need to do is promote it more.

• EzariEzari Member Posts: 11
    Theres nothing wrong with AC, except that Turbine could put in new creatures instead of making evolved forms the existant ones other than the game is still kinda fun to play.

*~☆~* *~☆~**~☆~*
    AC(ff) Ezari lvl 126+ Grief UA/Tank

Http://www.heet.1800-webhosting.com

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    I've played every major title out there, and some minors, as well. I just started AC a few days ago, and I'm loving it. The content seems endless. The community appears to be very friendly. The graphics are way outdated, but the content more than makes up for this. I left WoW for this game, and I haven't regretted it one bit.

• DienzenDienzen Member Posts: 57

im thinking about playing ac1 but im wondering what makes it so great? and also is the combat system fun?

I've found it can be a bit tedious at times at first.  However, the most common way is to find a high-level and have them outfit you with such high armor levels and weapons that it is no challenge at all to level.  To me there isn't much challenge, and it takes a lot of the fun out of the game.  I have nothing against helping a vassal out, but not so much that it makes leveling too easy.  Just like any game, it has it's perks and drawbacks.  They are all unique depending on what class you choose to pick.  If you pick a mage, then you will have a lot of difficulty with some creatures and/or quests.  Same with a meleer and archer.

I have a mid-90's level mage, and back when I started him, we had to research our own spells rather than find scrolls of a monster or in a chest.  He was/is a life mage.  I remember everyone thinking I was crazy for making a life mage at that point, because my template didn't get war magic for quite some time.  And it was a royal pain to level him wihtout war.  But now that he's gotten this high I am proud to say that I have never participated in an xp-chain or anything.  Sure I was given things, and bought things, but it was always something relative to my abilities.

One thing I've found.... mages of any type tend to cost a lot more than a meleer.  My meleer makes almost 90-95% profit on hunting trips (he can only cast 6's on good days, so I have him buffed by hunting mates), and my mage goes through spell components like candy.  In my clan meleers are very hard to find online as well.  But they can be harder to fight solo with, unless you pick up a lot of magic skill when dealing with high-level monsters.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

I used to play, I am quite sure my house is gone now though <chuckles>. I stopped playing just before the new crafting system went into effect. Honestly however I am less likely to go back to it since Turbine solely handles it. You can flame away for this, but I have very little faith in them or their concepts of what the player wants.

I do miss it though, I have been itching to go back to an old MMORPG I used to play, which leaves: UO, AC, EVE, or AO.

My gear in AC is probably uselessly outdated now eh (oh wait, thats EQ that happens in)? I got my blackfire orb around level 60ish.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

I do agree with you to a point.  However, my personal feeling is that Microsoft  has always had the most problems trying to tell what the customer wants.  They try to cram all these wizards and things that are supposed to "guess" what you want.  Which I am sure some people like, but the more advanced you get into programs and administration of computers the more annoying they become.  Most days they just outright piss me off royally.  But there are very few software companies (especially gaming) that listen to the public.  I mean look at the games that are released today.  Most games are just basically re-runs of games that were out before that did well.  And graphics are very very impressive, but have absolute garbage storylines (if any at all).

I still have my account on AC, and still play it now and then.  My biggest problem with the game is there is no in-between content.  It's either beginner, or ultra-high level content.  Once you hit about the mid 80's in level the content thins out so much.  The only way to do quests and things is to get into a large fellowship of 80+'s and do them.  I've tried doing some quests solo with my 88ish and 93ish meleer and mage.  I just can't.  And since all the new MMOGs came out there aren't many players around at any given time looking to do a quest you want to.  I've tried a lot of the games out there, and still find AC has the best fundamentals.  I don't like the XP system particularly (I like ones where if you use a blaster you get blaster xp, not general xp you can put into cooking etc).  And don't even get me started on all the 3rd party apps and macros.

And the crafting system isn't all that bad really.  It's not like you have to make your own armor or buy something someone else makes.  You just "tweak" the properties of your armor (i.e. AL, elemental prot, etc).  Which brings me to another thing that kind of bugs me about the game.  Since when do monsters that couldn't carry weapons or armor, able to carry it and drop it on death?  I mean I've gotten hauberks off Shreths, and spell components of things that look like floating heads (the dolls).  That just doesn't sit quite right with me.  But oh well, still it's one of the better games I've played.

I took a few months off AC, and when I came back.  Everything I had was out-of-date.  I went from having lots of shards, and SIKs to virtually broke when they all became worthless and motes were the thing to have.  Go figure.

Maybe after they update to DirectX 9 graphics and update the game with the new upgrade, they may turn it around.  If they plan on keeping the game around, it sure wouldn't hurt to advertise either.

• jsand199jsand199 Member Posts: 57
    Once you get the 80+ level you will be in a good clan by then. If you are in a decent sized clan you WILL be able to find someone to help you with quests until you are at a level where you can do more things on your own. In addition some quests are purposefully designed to be done in groups.
  • alfwohalfwoh Member Posts: 10

I don't really care about the graphics that much. Just has to be 3D. Its really about the game play. Now EQ you guys probably know when you fight you usually sit and watch then if you are about to die you run but thats it. Now in AC when you start killing you can run around the monster like crazy you can learn how to fast cast and kill someone easily. AC has much for freedom then other games which I like. But when you hit a high lvl in AC everything just seems to easy. This is why Turbine is bringing out an exspansion pack for this game. It will update the graphics and give new places to hunt for higher lvls. Not to mention the lvl cap of 275 I believe.

Oku foogle - Asheron's Call

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

AC has roughly 50,000 accounts. AC2 has roughly 6,000 accounts.

Yah... basically ac2 was the game that could have been, but never was... it's horrible to play. I wish they could move the ac2 engine on top of ac1... cuz damn is ac2 pretty but has about as much play as a floating turd in a sewer.

Shadus

I disagree, ac is still ugly as hell, but I played both games again recently and daoc is still crap. Can't stand that game. I'd rather play eq1.

Shadus

• ArcariusArcarius Member Posts: 72

Shadus, stop replying to yourself.

And as for AC being past its prime, I have to agree, of course. AC was probably the only game to date (gameplay-wise) that could ever compete with Ultima Online, and I enjoyed playing it for a very long time. I strung my first comp. bow at like 148 skill :-P, first try!!! I'm so uber like that ;)

I've been considerring getting back into AC with my cousin, but I did that a while ago, and my infinite amount of SIKs were worth absolutely nothing - very disheartening.

Eternal Vigilance - NOW RECRUITING

-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Shadus, stop replying to yourself.

I didn't reply to my self, i replied to a poster in the thread on both messages.

Shadus

• bballermc333bballermc333 Member Posts: 283

Ok i have not been posting here for a while so here it goes......

AC is dead to people who wanna go hunt. AC is dead for people who play carebare servers and just kill environment.....no offence.....

Darktide is a server. If you dont like the easy leveling go to DT, Even if you get to level 200-225+ its fun. Still tons of raids. Still need to get in fellows to hold posision. It is an awsume server. I think the last time i posted here was a while ago but i was level 33 then now i am level 90, i also have 2 60+ chars, Mage and Bow. This game rocks on PvP servers because you always wanna take it one step higher to kill that next person. Try Darktide if you think AC is dead because in DT AC is just begining::::39::

• teutonikteutonik wysiwygMember Posts: 7

This was my first mmorpg i have played. This game is what turned me into what i am now "a computer freak". many stories have been told about this great game. I belive it was the best and will always be. Never in my life have i played a game enjoyable as this before and the memorys will always be with me. In my 3 years of exploring dereth there is still many places i have yet to have seen. I was one of the lucky players to release Bael'zharon from his eternal slumber on the carebear server "Morningthaw"  Hated by many, loved by many. "Gusto King" ring a bell?  slayed by red's shortly after his release and looted of my goods image  stories are still being told about those days. the good ol' days.

Like everyone else says nothing else compares to this game. The freedom that it provides. and the world to live it in. Uniqueness of characters were unparalell.  I've tried the majority of mmorpgs Eq, DAoC, Ao, Eq2, Ac2, CoH, PS, L2, SB, eve,Nc,  (UO and WoW were close but none fit the glass slipper.)

Farewell ac! if there were only a way to resurect you!

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Ok, not trying to rain on your parade but uniqueness of characters? When I quit playing it was down to the point of there being non official templates people would use for making and leveling their character. There was like 4 basic templates about everyone followed off of. You were either a warrior, spec'ing in a main weapon and 1 different, minoring in life magic or you were an OG or battlemage.

I guess could have gone a different route if they wanted too but the system didn't work that way, you would be less effective then you could be. I didn't see any uniqueness, it was playing a game with 4 character classes to me. So as good of a game as AC USED to be before turbine took full control of it, I really can't agree with you on that one part of your post.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World