Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identify this PC Tablet / Light Pen please!!

ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

Greets.

I have had a couple of bad experiences with PC Tablets / and Lightpens in the past. Tried Wacom and an Cool-i ones and they both performed miserably - bad pixels, SLOW and lagged responses time, and inaccurate and hindered drawing + poor support.

Even though I am adept with photoshop-type softwares, I personally prefer to sketch/paint/retouch by hand. Can anyone please recommend a tablet (or something similar) that works smooth and in REALTIME (ie no lag between my hand motions and draw time).

PS. I got a newletter link from Hirez Studios (makers of Global Agenda MMO) and there is a picture of an artist using a nice looking tablet. Can anyone identify what this is? And is it GOOD??

Newletter link

Thanks.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

there are 3 of those types of tablets on the market.

Adesso Cybertablet M25 ~$1200 (17" LCD Screen)
    Wacom 12WX ~$990 (12" LCD Screen)
    Wacom 21UX ~$1900 (21" LCD Screen)

The response you get from these types of tablets depends on the video card and its interface. They all use USB 2.0 connections, there is no getting around it, but it shouldn't cause too much of an issue unless it has alot of pressure levels. The Video card can also affect it. I have a TabletPC with a nVidia 6200m and it has bad response time too because the videocard sucks.

The one in the screen is most likely a Wacom 21UX.

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

Many thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

Questions:

* Has anyone used any of the above tablets? Are they any good?  Response times?

* Any cheaper alternatives?

(I'm actually jury-rigging a mouse to function like a pen - lets see if that works out.)

I have ordered a Finger Mouse from eBay. Hopefully it will be better.

• Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by ssnautilus

Many thanks for the reply - much appreciated.
    Questions:
    * Has anyone used any of the above tablets? Are they any good?  Response times?

* Any cheaper alternatives?
    (I'm actually jury-rigging a mouse to function like a pen - lets see if that works out.)
    I have ordered a Finger Mouse from eBay. Hopefully it will be better.

I personally don't use them but i found a few links you may want to see.

Youtube video

Reviews

Hope this helps man

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

You won't be able to get around the costs. Even building it yourself is gonna cost in the $500 range. Wacom has patented the technology behind it and doesn't let anyone else make a tablet monitor using their method which is the most obvious. The only ones who have gotten around it are with TabletPCs and Adesso.

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

Thanks for the links Gweed0. Appreciated.

While searching further on YouTube, came across this one:

Office of Tomorow

Sigh. *wishlist*

Search continues......

On a side note:

A nice Microsoft mouse has been deconstructed, and desoldered. However, I now need a multi-cored cable with atleast 20 strands. Cannot find any on ebay, so going to try to pick one from from Maplin on the weekend.

Main problem I am running into is the LED Lens. The design is such that its a large chunky rectangle - and that fact alone destroys the concept of having a pen type "nib" or pointer.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Red LED light is only used to "light up" the pointer surface for the mini-camera, right? If so perhaps then, I can figure out a different way to light the surface evenly... hmmm...