Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 7

maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

I downloaded the game and tried to play it, I am running Windows 7 x64. It didn't work because GameGuard failed.

I did a little digging around and got it figured:

1) Go to http://crossfire.subagames.com, download the game "Cross Fire" and then install it.

2) Find the file named "GameGuard.des" in your Spellborn folders, delete it.

3) Find the file named "GameGuard.des" in your Cross Fire folders and copy it to the location of the file you just deleted in your Spellborn folder.

4) Now run Spellborn, GameGuard will connect to the net, download some files that it needs then you're good to go :)

5) Uninstall Cross Fire, unless you were looking for a new F2P FPS!

This works because Cross Fire is using the latest version of GameGuard that works with Windows 7 but for some odd reason Chronicles of Spellborn isn't.

Comments

• niteguy808niteguy808 Member UncommonPosts: 43

thats a good one

i did another method where i booted my computer with another system drive (like windows vista or xp) with the windows 7 64bit drive still connected.

then i navigated to the spellborn folder on the windows 7 drive and ran the spellborn launcher

it runs on xp or vista so gameguard will connect and update

then after it finishes updating close it and reboot computer in windows 7 again..

when you run it now it will update gameguard again and spellborn will run..

• xiirotxiirot Fallen Earth CorrespondentMember Posts: 328
    Originally posted by maniacfox

I downloaded the game and tried to play it, I am running Windows 7 x64. It didn't work because GameGuard failed.

I did a little digging around and got it figured:
    1) Go to http://crossfire.subagames.com, download the game "Cross Fire" and then install it.
    2) Find the file named "GameGuard.des" in your Spellborn folders, delete it.
    3) Find the file named "GameGuard.des" in your Cross Fire folders and copy it to the location of the file you just deleted in your Spellborn folder.
    4) Now run Spellborn, GameGuard will connect to the net, download some files that it needs then you're good to go :)
    5) Uninstall Cross Fire, unless you were looking for a new F2P FPS!

This works because Cross Fire is using the latest version of GameGuard that works with Windows 7 but for some odd reason Chronicles of Spellborn isn't.

Just want to say thank you for this post.  it worked perfectly!  I'm playing on Windows 7 :)

"Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success, you know." William Saroyan

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

This is really a great find! Going to try it right away tonight :-)

Cheers

• SuperwasbeerSuperwasbeer Member Posts: 85

thanks it worked!

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263

Never would have tried this game if it weren't for your post. Wouldn't load on 7 until I followed your directions.

Thanks so much! Because of you, I've been able to experience this awesome MMO.

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

Thanks to anyone that found this useful, I'm glad my experience has helped out other people.

I figured it out because I was googling for a solution to the problem and I came across a post in a forum. Some dude was saying that he had no trouble running TCoS on Win7 beta, in fact he was running other GameGuard games as well such as Cross Fire and they all worked fine... ah ha I thought!

• jcsinnerjcsinner Member UncommonPosts: 5

Hi everyone.

I am reading a lot of people saying "thanks" but nobody says if it work on W7 32 bits.

Please, could anybody says anything about it?. Thanks again. ;)

Originally posted by jcsinner

Hi everyone.
    I am reading a lot of people saying "thanks" but nobody says if it work on W7 32 bits.
    Please, could anybody says anything about it?. Thanks again. ;)

My best advice to you would be to try it, either it will work or it won't. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it probably should work. It only takes 10 mins so just give it a go!

By the way, unless there's a really good reason that you are running x32 I'd recommend switching to x64, it's stabler and faster.

• Takaru2Takaru2 Member Posts: 10

I have windows 7 32bt 7100 and I got past the gameguard, but after GG tries updating i BSOD.....from one error to the next T_T, is there a fix for this one?

Edit: put the same gameguard.des file in to my Phantasy star online folder and it also gave me a BSOD...oh and there Are two bin>client>gameguard>gameguard.Des' in my Chronicals of Spellborn folder, one in the Game guard folder and one in bin>client>gameguard.des

For your reference, I replaced the GameGuard.des file in the inclient folder but if that hadn't worked then I guess I would have tried replacing the one in the GameGuard folder too.

Can't really help you out with a BSOD, sorry, there are so many things that can cause it, often machine specific. I hope you manage to figure it out, or I hope Spellborn NV get their act together with GameGuard!!

• casperinmdcasperinmd Member UncommonPosts: 10

I got the BSOD as well, Win 7 32bit. It was in wmi_mmc.sys..or something along those lines. Two in a row so it is reproduceable. Working on it, will report back any findings.

edit: it was dump_wmimmc.sys

• bennnebennne Member Posts: 2

Could someone Upload the file? it should just be 275kb so...

Originally posted by bennne

Could someone Upload the file? it should just be 275kb so...

Which file are you looking for?

• bennnebennne Member Posts: 2

Im looking for GameGuard.des

If you have not received it by the time I get home tonight, I will upload mine, it was from teh CrossFire install mentioned here.

• borgy29cvborgy29cv Member Posts: 1

Hy guis. sorry for my english first.

i have windows 7 32 bits 7127 build and didnt manage to make gameguard work. i've tryed all the things i found on forums , an friend of mine have 64 version and have the same problem .

The problem is that i mage to patch GameGuard but i get error 114 "i tryed and disabled evrything that i found will be in conflict whit it"

realy dono what to do. btw i have another computer whit win xp and there tcos is working and i have the same software instaled on him , i mean mouse keyboard , no antivirus and firewall disabled "windows firewall"

Originally posted by bennne

Im looking for GameGuard.des

Here you go, good luck with it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=93837913523ea1d261d4646c62b381cbe04e75f6e8ebb871

• ownagebusownagebus Member Posts: 1

Still not working for me. I get error 380 that points to my firewall. I do the walkthrough and everything seems to be as it should. I dont run Kespirsky as I know that causes problems with gameguard. I have done the steps with crossfire and such. I can run and play crossfire just fine but TcoS wont run.

I am currently Re-Installing the game through the troubleshooter under windows Vista install mode. This has worked for me in the past with games that have not worked on windows 7. However, the issues are different with this one, so I don't think it will work.

I run the same spec almost as a friend of mine. I watched him do these steps and start the game up with no problem, so I went home... Downloaded and did the same thing. New OS install and no luck.

This is the only thing that bothers me about Windows 7. Ugh. Anyone else not been able to make this work?

EDIT:  Well hot damn, it worked. Here's my steps for a further Fix if problems come up.

Install/Patch Crossfire first.

Download TcoS but do not run it.

Find your download file.

Right click on the TcoS setup file //  Click Troubleshoot Compatibility  // Troubleshoot program //  Check "The program worked in earlier versions... ect ect." // Next // Select version of windows you want to install the program with // Next // Start The Program.

After that, before I patched TcoS I copied the file from CrossFire over. Patched, and it worked right away.

This method also workes for older games that would only run on XP and lower, also got my Fallout-3 working just fine.

Hope this helps someone.

• Cassan0vaCassan0va Member Posts: 66

If you have the problem were the game crash when you press play in the launcher just try sb_client.exe should work. Bypass the launcher that way.

• VirusTesterVirusTester Member Posts: 9

Ok, I've tried just about everything to get this to work and no dice so far.  I am doing this solely on my laptop just to see if I can get the game to run, then putting Win 7 on my desktop when this works.  Heres what I've done so far:  (I'm using Win7 32-bit, cant use 64-bit sadly)

Installed Crossfire in Win 7 and booted to XP to update CF and went back into Win7 and CF still gave me the BSOD when trying to start it, but I could start it in XP.  I get the same BSOD when trying to start CF as TCoS, so I'm guessing its because of GameGuard.

I've tried to download the gameguard file from here as well, and that did not help.  I tried the previous idea hoping it would work for me too, but still nothing.  Replaced the file then updated then ran the game, still got BSOD.

So, anyone out there that was getting the BSOD mem dump for a long time figure out what helped it?  As I said, even updating CF to the newest version wouldn't let it run on my system in Win7.  Help!

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

You are a mf'n genius. May you be visited by many large breasted..... um... "chickens" and be serviced well for your contributions to my play time. 

Please note... "chickens" aren't really chickens..... I just don't want to be banned. 

• AphamApham Member UncommonPosts: 99

With the new interest in TCoS because of the f2p announcement I believe this thread needs a bump. I also am on Win7 RC 32x atm and followed the OPs directions in order to get TCoS working on my system. I know that the procedure works so those that are having trouble running the game after downloading and updating give it a try.

• MetzaMetza Member Posts: 160

I got this info off the acclaim official forums quite a while ago, actually it was an administrater from acclaim that gave the info on that forum and not only this fix but he has trouble shooting for almost every gameguard error so if anyone experiences anymore errors with gameguard head over there its quite helpful.  

http://phpbb.acclaim.com/spellborn/viewtopic.php?t=3589&sid=160295af51e483d2edecd32ad64d2d6f