Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My opinion of the GC Vids.

VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

This was buried in another thread, so thought I'd express my concern in a new one.

Ok, I know it's early, and I could see there were a couple of things improved over the last game (quest log signifying "WoW-type" questing), and an actual mouse cursor.

HOWEVER, either A, these guys playing doesn't have a clue how to control a character, or B, once again the Asian's prove they don't know crap when it comes to implementing movement controls.

It's simple people.....W A S D plus MOUSE!! Just go log into the WoW account that we know you all have, and COPY the movement scheme from that. Then your game will be ok. I swear to god, I can't fathom how these people simply cannot get the controls right. I'm not calling for a WoW clone, but come on, you can't argue with the controls. They're spot on.

Did anyone complain when they implemented mouselook with Quake as opposed to Duke Nukem 3D? Hell no, because it was an IMPROVEMENT of the genre! Now, the same type movement is used in ALL FPS's.

Comments

• Kushiel666Kushiel666 Member Posts: 29

I will go with option C on this one.  The game is being developed for both console and PC, just as FFXI was.  User base on both systems will be interacting with each other; therefore, the controls must be equal to each other to prevent one or the other from having an advantage.  Also, of the many MMOs I have played, I personally liked FFXI's controls more than any other.  It's all a matter of preference.  In FFXI I did not use a mouse at all.  Having both hands at the keyboard was far more convenient for me than having a hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse.  I understand for PVP having AWSD + Mouse is convenient in and of itself, but FFXI was not based on PVP... and hopefully FFXIV will not be either.  Include a PVP game within it like Ballista from XI, that's fine.  I prefer controls to remain similar to those that were used in FFXI, and keep the same macro system... God I loved their macro system.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

You could run with WASD in FFXI and look with your mouse as well.  Its just not like how WoWs and most other games handle. You put the cursor at the edge of the screen and the camera would move.  Its really handles quite well IMO.

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368

not using a mouse has led to far less errors for me. I generally don't use a mouse while playing WoW or other MMO's when I can. If I can put it on the keyboard I will.

I use my mouse for shooters.

Originally posted by cukimunga

You could run with WASD in FFXI and look with your mouse as well.  Its just not like how WoWs and most other games handle. You put the cursor at the edge of the screen and the camera would move.  Its really handles quite well IMO.

Oh, very true, I forgot you could do that.  Personally I played with my right hand on the number keypad for controls and used my thumb on the same hand to reach over to the arrow keys to spin the camera around to look.  Being able to do everything from tabbing through mobs to locking onto mobs to moving/strafing, and even auto-running, all with my right hand was glorious.  My left hand fully reserved for CTRL and SHIFT macros.  Having both hands on the keyboard also made it quicker to talk in the chat window as well.  Never had any need for those funny little mouse things.

I did know people that played completely with the mouse and no keyboard, blew my mind.  Also had a friend that played strictly with a 360 controller on the 360.  Only using a keyboard to talk to people.  Don't know how people can complain with a controls set-up that is so universal.

• eury2eury2 Member UncommonPosts: 41

well i bought FFXI and i didn't like the control system i had to go out and buy a USB controller to play the game because i use a laptop and i have no number keys they didn't think very hard on controls and to be honest im a fan of wasd + mouse movment

it would be just like using up down left right and the right analog on a controller if anything the person on 360 or ps3 will have the advantage

if anything it shouldn't even be on 360 because not only will they be paying for xbox live your paying to play where ps3 and pc only pays to play

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

Combat looks awful for an MMO, but that's just me.

It's pretty, though.

Originally posted by eury2

well i bought FFXI and i didn't like the control system i had to go out and buy a USB controller to play the game because i use a laptop and i have no number keys they didn't think very hard on controls and to be honest im a fan of wasd + mouse movment
    it would be just like using up down left right and the right analog on a controller if anything the person on 360 or ps3 will have the advantage
    if anything it shouldn't even be on 360 because not only will they be paying for xbox live your paying to play where ps3 and pc only pays to play

Maybe you should have gone into the settings and changed them to "Compact Keyboard".  Yes, they did think that hard and they provided an alternate control system for the compact keyboards (ie. keyboards with no number keypad).

Well, that's not SE's fault in regard to the 360 requiring xbox live, that's all on Microsoft. 

These is all hearsay, but... From the way it was explained to me, the only reason it did get on the 360 was as kinda of a slap to Sony's face to say, "Hey, look, Final Fantasy is not exclusive to you anymore."  Otherwise, there would have been no way they would have let it on their system permitting 360 (Microsoft) users to talk to PS3 (Sony) users on the same servers.  Personally, I thought it was awesome to have a player base from PS3, 360, and PC.

• Dewm1Dewm1 Member Posts: 27

Lol I remember playing FFXI on my 360, I was playing with controller + keyboard, and after about 2 months one of my LS friends noticed me complaining about it and he was like.... "why not just put it on compact keyboard settings?" I didn't know about it. so I changed it, and it was WAY better then WASD movment. it took a little long to learn "maybe a week longer?" but it was way faster. plus way easier to chat.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by Kushiel666

Originally posted by cukimunga

Oh, very true, I forgot you could do that.  Personally I played with my right hand on the number keypad for controls and used my thumb on the same hand to reach over to the arrow keys to spin the camera around to look.  Being able to do everything from tabbing through mobs to locking onto mobs to moving/strafing, and even auto-running, all with my right hand was glorious.  My left hand fully reserved for CTRL and SHIFT macros.  Having both hands on the keyboard also made it quicker to talk in the chat window as well.  Never had any need for those funny little mouse things.

I did know people that played completely with the mouse and no keyboard, blew my mind.  Also had a friend that played strictly with a 360 controller on the 360.  Only using a keyboard to talk to people.  Don't know how people can complain with a controls set-up that is so universal.

I generally only use my mouse to look around when Im in combat I use my keyboard. That way so I can go through my macro windows faster.  Its a PITA to click on stuff with your mouse move your hand right hand back to the arrow keys to go up and down threw the menus then get back to your mouse to click on stuff again. 

The game plays well with a 360 controller as well. I played it on the 360 for a while and I do think it plays better with it, its just I like doing all the registry hacks to make the game look better so I play on PC.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Odela

Combat looks awful for an MMO, but that's just me.

It's pretty, though.

I knew I would see this post so I have a gift for you, someone else posted this earlier in the other thread about the combat

Take this into consideration and also that you don't know German so you don't know what the guy is talking about and that he is clearly not showing off 'Gameplay'

Originally posted by Sixpax:

I'm not sure how some of you are drawing conclusions about combat speed. It looks to me like during the combat scenes the people demoing the game are talking (about how combat works maybe?) rather than actually trying to show how fast combat can be.