Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: What Dust 514 Means For Virtual Worlds

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

While I completely agree that this is a great jump forward for the concept of MMO gaming,  and CCP kicks ass, I just can't get behind the console-only decision.  I know a lot of people like playing FPS games on the consoles, mostly because they don't know any other way, but I HATE it having been involved in PC FPS gaming since Doom and Quake.  The controllers are pure crap, sloppy, spammy and slow. Believe it or not, I am not a huge fan of sitting in my living room and playing games on the sofa. I prefer to be at my desk in my office running multiple applications or boxes while I am gaming. I just don't give a shit about my Xbox 360.  It's something my kid plays with. I know, I'm in the minority these days.

Anyway, I know this will please a lot of people, but I can understand where the players of EVE might not like this decision, even if it is a technological wonder and pushes the genre forward in a new direction.  Generally speaking, EVE players are hardcore about their game, and they are true MMO players, and so probably hardcore PC game players as well.  Here you have a group of people who love CCP and EVE and they are told there is a new EVE game, an expansion of sorts, sharing their game servers/universe but they will have to switch platforms to enjoy it. It might make good business sense, but in the case of EVE,  CCP has always been about their players more than the business.  At least that's what they have led everyone to believe.

I suppose Dust is likely to be your typical dumbed down console shooter, so I doubt it would do well on the PC anyway.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• magister87magister87 Member Posts: 6

I just remebered the video they showed a coulpe of fanfests ago with atmospheric flight.

I wonder...

also the game could be less far of than we think considering that they've been working on it for over 3 years

• wlvnspectrewlvnspectre Member Posts: 96

I am stil thuroughly hosed that they said that first we would have Ambulation, then maybe ship internals, then atmospheric flight leading to landing on planets  and having an expirience typical to most MMOs.... now they stab us in the back, change the gameplay and then give it to consolers.

I feel like I was just shived by the guy who you just spent 4 years watching out for each other, then to have him ask you "isn't that GREAT!?!?"

Originally posted by wlvnspectre

I am stil thuroughly hosed that they said that first we would have Ambulation, then maybe ship internals, then atmospheric flight leading to landing on planets  and having an expirience typical to most MMOs.... now they stab us in the back, change the gameplay and then give it to consolers.
    I feel like I was just shived by the guy who you just spent 4 years watching out for each other, then to have him ask you "isn't that GREAT!?!?"

I don' blame you guys for being mad.  People have invested a lot of time into EVE based on the promises of where the game would go.  CCP should at least do a press release about the future of ambulation, and whether or not their long term goals have changed for EVE.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    I don' blame you guys for being mad.

I do. I do because there is no reason going mad.

People are freaking out about Dust affecting EVE when sole planetary control is not even implemented yet and we will not hear more news about it sooner than sometime next year. And that are still news only which does not mean it will be released in the same year nor it means Dust will be released along with planetary control.

We can easily be talking about 2 years future from now. Ground combat does not look much closer to release than it was at Fanfest 2008 where it was shown for the first time.

So what is the rage about? It's absurd.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I don' blame you guys for being mad.  People have invested a lot of time into EVE based on the promises of where the game would go.  CCP should at least do a press release about the future of ambulation, and whether or not their long term goals have changed for EVE.

Sounds like CCP, after getting a nice dose of fame, is now wanting more. They'll get it -- at the expense of their fan base. It's the way of things in the MMO development world. After a certain number of subs, customers suddenly become expendable.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by cfurlin

Sounds like CCP, after getting a nice dose of fame, is now wanting more. They'll get it -- at the expense of their fan base. It's the way of things in the MMO development world. After a certain number of subs, customers suddenly become expendable.

What I am seeing is how quickly people will turn on you. CCP has given all of there expansions to there EvE players for free, Which is far from commen practice in the industry. Now they are attempting to make a bit more profit and add a new element to the game as well as more players and suddenly there evil greed mongers that are stabbing there player base in the back. It's truly mind boggling lol.

How horrible CCP is and how greedy, giving the expansions out for free when players are known for gladly paying for them. Utter example of greed right there. And how dare they neglect the EvE community by trying to add some new and inovative elements to there universe while at the same time bringing new players to it.  (This portion was a work of sarcasm!) 

oO?! 

• kazamxkazamx Member CommonPosts: 165

Just imagine

Dust 514 is launched. The FPS console players start battling it out on planets but can't fly a ship in space.

The Pod Pilots are battling it out in space but can't land on a planet.

BUT

Space station. At the same time as Dust 514 launches CCP launches Walking in stations. Now pod pilots can get out of their ships and walk around. At the same time the Dust players can take a short NPC controlled ship up to the space station and walk around.

You now have hardcore PC gamers from one game and Hardcore console gamers from another game mixing in the same space at the same time working towards the same goals.

This could be HUGE to the industry. Maybe we find out that the world of Darkness MMO isn't what we think and its actually going to be an MMO set in the EVE universe but not part of EVE. Once again the players from the new MMO can't fly ships and they can't play FPS but they can all meet up on space stations and can all help each other.

The potential for this is HUGE people. Its game changing.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Varny

It means CCP are shafting their fanbase by not releasing it on PC.

Not from my perspective. They are not taking anything away from their current player base.  Eve is about space combat, and the interactions that flow from that. Dust is about ground combat, and the interactions that flow from that.  Both are available to anyone who owns the necessary hardware. Consoles are cheap. Hell, a top range video card for a PC costs more than a console these days.  Not to mention they may eventually port it over to the PC.  It will be interesting to see how they tie the two games together.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

What I am seeing is how quickly people will turn on you. CCP has given all of there expansions to there EvE players for free, Which is far from commen practice in the industry. Now they are attempting to make a bit more profit and add a new element to the game as well as more players and suddenly there evil greed mongers that are stabbing there player base in the back. It's truly mind boggling lol.

How horrible CCP is and how greedy, giving the expansions out for free when players are known for gladly paying for them. Utter example of greed right there. And how dare they neglect the EvE community by trying to add some new and inovative elements to there universe while at the same time bringing new players to it.  (This portion was a work of sarcasm!) 

oO?! 

The main reason CCP gave away expansions was to keep/gain more players in a niche MMO. It was a successful strategy.  I wouldn't go on fooling yourself thinking that they did it out of the kindness of their hearts. They are a cool company, but get real.

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

I can tell you if you mention pay to play to the console players they will throw a fit.

There are plenty of FPS such as Halo, Gears etc that don't need an additional subscription to play online and this seems to be a rehash of Star Wars battlefront with an extra sub attached.

Originally posted by adrianemery

I can tell you if you mention pay to play to the console players they will throw a fit.
    There are plenty of FPS such as Halo, Gears etc that don't need an additional subscription to play online and this seems to be a rehash of Star Wars battlefront with an extra sub attached.

I'll be surprised if it goes anywhere, personally.  It seems like huge risk to take on a franchise that is little known outside of hardcore MMO world.  Most WoW players haven't even heard of EVE, let alone console shooter players who mainly care about instant gratification in fast paced games; achievement junkies. Dust will have to stand on its own as an awesome console shooter game because I doubt most console players will care about the tie in back to EVE, assuming they even understand it in the first place.

I get the technology part of this.  It's a great idea and it really can shake things up in gaming in the future. Whether or not this particular execution of the new technology will go anywhere remains to be seen.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

You're Right, dude. It's CCP's fault that PC elitests' are either too cheap or too stuck up to buy a console.

Any shafting going on here is strickly of a self-service variety.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

Originally posted by spankybus

You're Right, dude. It's CCP's fault that PC elitests' are either too cheap or too stuck up to buy a console.

I'm trying to see the logic in your reply, but it's completely escaping me.  I wonder why?

• whatamidoingwhatamidoing Member Posts: 163

I'm trying to see the logic in your reply, but it's completely escaping me.  I wonder why?

Maybe because you're so far above it? I mean, that could be why it's escaping you...I mean you are a PC gawd (see elitist). Bottom line: Just because you think people are beneath you for playing on consoles and that console FPS are "dumbed down" doesn't mean that you're right. Because that's your opinion oh mighty one. You know what they say about opinions, don't you?

Back on topic. I think this is a great idea. Very creative and very innovative I think. Hopefully other companies will follow suit if this is successful. The great thing about this is this could be expanded upon almost infinitely (at least to the point where technology doesn't allow it or you run out of ideas). They could continue to add game genres within the same world and have them all effect each other and be persistent. Can't wait to hear more news about this!

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by whatamidoing

Maybe because you're so far above it? I mean, that could be why it's escaping you...I mean you are a PC gawd (see elitist). Bottom line: Just because you think people are beneath you for playing on consoles and that console FPS are "dumbed down" doesn't mean that you're right. Because that's your opinion oh mighty one. You know what they say about opinions, don't you?

Back on topic. I think this is a great idea. Very creative and very innovative I think. Hopefully other companies will follow suit if this is successful. The great thing about this is this could be expanded upon almost infinitely (at least to the point where technology doesn't allow it or you run out of ideas). They could continue to add game genres within the same world and have them all effect each other and be persistent. Can't wait to hear more news about this!

Well, not being a "PC gawd" I can't comment on that aspect But I've yet to see a FPS that plays as well on a console, as one does on a PC(with mouse and keyboard). It could be old ingrained reflexes(I've been playing FPS's for a LONG time), but console FPS's always seem stiff and limited in options to me.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • whatamidoingwhatamidoing Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Well, not being a "PC gawd" I can't comment on that aspect But I've yet to see a FPS that plays as well on a console, as one does on a PC(with mouse and keyboard). It could be old ingrained reflexes(I've been playing FPS's for a LONG time), but console FPS's always seem stiff and limited in options to me.

haha yeah "pc gawd" maybe not the right choice of leet words.

Personally I think they're just two different styles and I think you can find good game selections on both. Which is another reason why they're probably keeping it only on consoles. I'd imagine it would be hard to fairly play against a PC player if you were using a controller on a console (I haven't played EVE but doesn't it only have one server? This would further explain putting it exclusively on consoles as they would only have one server/version and obviously the better choice for them was console exclusive). haha in the end though I prefer TPS over FPS so I guess I'm being shafted by CCP too ;-)

You seem to have some strange, deep seated issues regarding PC vs. Console gaming.  I don't like FPS games on my 360.  It's a matter of opinion, and preference.  It's ok to be tolerant of other people's opposing opinions.  You don't have to take it personally that I like something different than you.  It's quite normal, I assure you, and there is nothing elitist about it. Based on your own logic, I could say you are a console elitist.  See the flaw now? No?

I think this is a major risk by CCP, because most console gamers have no clue what EVE is.  In fact, I would bet most MMO gamers (thinking about WoW here) don't have the slightest clue EVE exists.  Console gamers are going to look for a fast paced, instant gratification shooter with achievements to unlock. They aren't likely to care much about what is going on in EVE. That means this game better simply stand on its own as an awesome shooter.  Unless it utterly rocks, it will just be a bargain bin title that CCP will end up having to support online for only a few players.

Again, my opinion.

I'm glad they are developing the technology.  Perhaps it will lead to something more interesting later on down the road.  I just don't know if loosely combining two different games on two different platforms is going to create anything meaningful. 

Here is a question.  Taking this technology to the next level as some people have mentioned here, are there any EVE players who really want to hang out with console FPS kids on a space station? I really don't see the two communities meshing well.

• windasmwindasm Member UncommonPosts: 86

Yeah, console fps's feels kind of cheap and boring when playing them to me. 

Actually this has been tried before with a land, air, and sea warfare game before. The games didnt last long and was unplayable within a few weeks after launch. Does anybody remember the name of them games?

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

The main reason CCP gave away expansions was to keep/gain more players in a niche MMO. It was a successful strategy.  I wouldn't go on fooling yourself thinking that they did it out of the kindness of their hearts. They are a cool company, but get real.

Heh, very true. I always love how many gamers think these companies build games with some altruistic motive, like "we just want gamers to have fun!" They don't give a flying fuck about anything except your checkbook.

That's like saying, "Microsoft built Office because they wanted you to be more productive".

Sure, ok. When you get home tonight, say hello to the unicorns living in your backyard for me.

Heh, very true. I always love how many gamers think these companies build games with some altruistic motive, like "we just want gamers to have fun!" They don't give a flying fuck about anything except your checkbook.

That's like saying, "Microsoft built Office because they wanted you to be more productive".

Sure, ok. When you get home tonight, say hello to the unicorns living in your backyard for me.

lol I am saying they could have gone the route just about every other MMO has gone and squeezed every dime out they could. There are plenty of money grubing companies that squeezed every penny they could get from there player base look at DnL, Mourning, DarkFall changed there 1 char per server to 1 char per account after NA players bought the client so that they would have to rebuy the client lol. There are a number of examples of what a money grubbing company can sink to. CCP on the other hand made there expansions free and decided instead of going after more money from existing subs they would create new subs in a very inovative way.

So no, I don't think they are being altruistic. But I do believe your comment that I replied to was uncalled forward considering the types of Devs we have lurking out in the industry compaired to what CCP is doing.

But hey, to each there own.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Not from my perspective. They are not taking anything away from their current player base.  Eve is about space combat, and the interactions that flow from that. Dust is about ground combat, and the interactions that flow from that.  Both are available to anyone who owns the necessary hardware. Consoles are cheap. Hell, a top range video card for a PC costs more than a console these days.  Not to mention they may eventually port it over to the PC.  It will be interesting to see how they tie the two games together.

My PC cost me £500 to build and it maxes out everything.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

I want to play my FPS on the superior PC platform.

I'll play my Wii Sports games when I'm drunk with friends but the PC is the home of the FPS and the console sucks for FPS.

• RuwinRuwin Member Posts: 89

CCP shows it's brilliance.

I am in awe of this idea, I can not wait to take part in this game and help shape the eve universe in a planet side battle.

THANK YOU CCP!!!!!

Keep the innovation coming.

I want to play my FPS on the superior PC platform.

I'll play my Wii Sports games when I'm drunk with friends but the PC is the home of the FPS and the console sucks for FPS.

Meh personally I preffer FPS's on console when it's a multiplayer thing simply becuase you get less cheaters. When it's competetive play FPS against other players console all the way for me, when it's single player then PC it is.