Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding processor

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Intel Core 2 CPU      [email protected] GHz (2Cpus)

Nvidia 9500 GT

2G RAM

Windows XP, service pack 3

So i was wondering does having 2 cpu work as dual core or something? and is 1.8ghz the speed of both of them combined or seperate? So ye i just want to know what exactly is my processor, like Pentinum 4 single [email protected] GHZ is what im guessing but im not sure.

Also is having CPU usage at 90-100% constantly while playing games bad, like would the processor burn or something?

And my last question is, is playing games in full screen at 1280x1024 or windowed in 1154x864 better performance wise?

Comments

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Gabby-air
    Nvidia 9500 GT
    2G RAM
    So i was wondering does having 2 cpu work as dual core or something? and is 1.8ghz the speed of both of them combined or seperate? So ye i just want to know what exactly is my processor, like Pentinum 4 single [email protected] GHZ is what im guessing but im not sure.
    Also is having CPU usage at 90-100% constantly while playing games bad, like would the processor burn or something?
    And my last question is, is playing games in full screen at 1280x1024 or windowed in 1154x864 better performance wise?

Your CPU is a Intel Core 2 Duo E4300, dual core meaning it has 2 CPU cores built into the same chip. Dual core is functionally the same as having 2 CPU's, but it's faster because they aren't separated physically on the mobo. From Windows viewpoint, there's 2 CPU's present so that's what it reports.

Having CPU usage capped out is only bad in that your CPU is the bottleneck, meaning the GPU is waiting for the CPU to get stuff done, and multitasking is slow (if you have ADD). The processor won't burn out.. the lifespan does get shortened over time but it'll still last many years more than its usefulness and you can always bump the voltage up once it starts dying in order to stretch it.

For the last question.. GPU's and DirectX are a lot better at running games in windowed mode than they used to be, I rarely see an FPS difference switching between windowed and fullscreen. It may even run a little faster in windowed for you just because it's a slightly smaller resolution. Easiest way to tell is just grab fraps and test it.

• jdkskipjdkskip Member UncommonPosts: 120

The full name of that processor is, Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale, which is a 1.8GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor.

As long as the fan on the chip is working correctly and you have good air flow through your case, it should be fine. Personally, I don't like the processor working that hard.

To relieve the processor of some of it's work load you could upgrade your graphics card (9800 and above), install more memory (3g max for XP), or even over-clock the processor. The E4300 is a good over-clocker and you should be able to speed it up to 2.4 GHz or even 3.0 without much trouble depending on your motherboard and how confident you are at playing with your bios settings (not for weak hearted or inexperienced). Also, is this a desktop or laptop? If it's a laptop you will probably be limited as to what you can do and the same can be said depending on desktop model/brand.

Windowed will give you better performance, but a better graphics card would be the ticket.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

So it was duo! NO wonder ive been able to play games which i have like way lower system specs for because i thought it was a single core. So ye just to make sure when im asked for specs on games i would be saying, CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz ?

As for windowed and full screen, ive been testing it and i get the same fps either way so i guess it would be better for me to play in windowed mode as its better performance?

• Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108

I would just call it an Intel dual core 1.8, people will know what it is and what it can do from that. If you've tested you system on both windowed and fullscreen and are geting the same FPS then you should test your CPU and see if it works harder windowed or in full screen, this will vary from game to game though. I'd reccomend uninstalling any programs you might have that you haven't used in a while and disable others from auto start up to help keep a load off from the cpu. To do this just go to your windows menu and type in msconfig, go to the startup tab and uncheck anything that you dont need to run immediatly like your messenger service. You can always load it up off from the start menu anyways. This will also speed up the time it takes your pc to bootup.

Another thing i would reccomend is using a product such as ccleaner. It helps clear unneeded trash from your computer that you probobly don't even know is there. It will also help free some pressure from the cpu. ccleaner

Yup window mode is probably better for me, and ye ive been using ccleaner for awhile, great tool. Thanks alot for clarifying things for me guys

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

While on the topic on CPUs, if you're ever looking to upgrade, I would strongly recommend a quad-core cpu.  I built my home computer last year and put in an intel E8400 cpu which is pretty good, but two months ago I started at my new job with a computer that uses the Q6600 and I cant believe all the tasks my computer can handle without even a hiccup.  Quad-core is the way to go.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Nvidia 9500 GT
    2G RAM

INFITEL!!!!!!! You must purge your system of the Infitel filth before you are consumed by the whore i7. Convert to the one true faith of AMD, Infitel are a company of convicted criminals already fined €1 billion in the EU for their evil attempts to convert the holy towards their heretical beliefs. If you can afford it convert now to AMD, if you choose to walk the path of heresy then an E8400 would be the best soloution while you save for your AMD system!

Remember brother,   AMD VULT!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Nvidia 9500 GT
    2G RAM

INFITEL!!!!!!! You must purge your system of the Infitel filth before you are consumed by the whore i7. Convert to the one true faith of AMD, Infitel are a company of convicted criminals already fined €1 billion in the EU for their evil attempts to convert the holy towards their heretical beliefs. If you can afford it convert now to AMD, if you choose to walk the path of heresy then an E8400 would be the best soloution while you save for your AMD system!

Remember brother,   AMD VULT!

il never get a crappy amd

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

The 9500 card is a entry level video card. Go to a 9800 gt or ati 4850 series. There are also alot of games not made to really take advantage of multi-cores. As someone posted use cccleaner it can really be a good tool for cleaning up whats starting when windows xp launches. Hope this helps.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914
    Originally posted by mundus01

The 9500 card is a entry level video card. Go to a 9800 gt or ati 4850 series. There are also alot of games not made to really take advantage of multi-cores. As someone posted use cccleaner it can really be a good tool for cleaning up whats starting when windows xp launches. Hope this helps.

More like there are very few games that actually benefit from a Dual Core directly.

Indirectly, there are of course benefits :

- Windows processes will be able to run on the second core

- Security software ( Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Firewall ) will be able to run on the second core

- It is alot faster to ALT-TAB between a game and a browser ( for example )

- Dual boxing in MMO's, where you run the same game twice or more.

To OP :

I do think your CPU is on the low side of mhz, but I don't recommend overclocking unless you know the basics of computers and have the time to study OC techniques and install a good and complete cooling solution. Perhaps you can find a friend to help you.

Installing a faster GPU will help, but your CPU will be even more of a bottle neck than it is now.

More RAM is always a good thing, just keep in mind that in XP 32 your max RAM is limited by the size of your Video RAM.

So don't buy a new video card with more than 512MB on it. ( there are many fast cards with "only" 512MB video RAM )

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914
    Originally posted by TheHavok

While on the topic on CPUs, if you're ever looking to upgrade, I would strongly recommend a quad-core cpu.  I built my home computer last year and put in an intel E8400 cpu which is pretty good, but two months ago I started at my new job with a computer that uses the Q6600 and I cant believe all the tasks my computer can handle without even a hiccup.  Quad-core is the way to go.

That is not always the case.

Unless you run more than 1 game at a time ( multi boxing ) or have more than 1 graphics adaptor ( SLI or Crossfire ), then Dual Core is actually faster than Quad Core, because Dual Cores have higher frequencies ( mhz ) by default.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

haha thanks for the tips guys, appreciate it but its gonna be atleast until christmas when i get a new computer so yeh we got a lot of time.