Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS3 Slim and current only 299$ Making HD console MMOs more affordable.

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by galad2003

Sorry I'm not dropping $300 on a system that is near the end of its life cycle. Consoles only get about 5 years of life and they are all still ridiculously high in price. I'm just not paying that much to play a bunch of rehashed unimagininative FPS'. The selection of games are weak as hell on this gen of consoles and they need to drop that price a lot lower before I'll buy any.

End of its life cycle? Sorry, Sony designs for 10 years out, as evidenced by the play station 2. Its funny you say the selection is weak, as there have been some rather ground breaking titles on consoles lately.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Only difference between this new slim model and the older models it it won't be backward compatible with ps2 games.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

Originally posted by Scalebane

Only difference between this new slim model and the older models it it won't be backward compatible with ps2 games.

The only version of the PS3 that had BC was the first run. you have not been able to get one with BC in over a year.

So, there is no difference between the PS3 in stores now, and the slim, other than its a slim, and you pay less.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Sorry I'm not dropping $300 on a system that is near the end of its life cycle. Consoles only get about 5 years of life and they are all still ridiculously high in price. I'm just not paying that much to play a bunch of rehashed unimagininative FPS'. The selection of games are weak as hell on this gen of consoles and they need to drop that price a lot lower before I'll buy any.

End of its life cycle? Sorry, Sony designs for 10 years out, as evidenced by the play station 2. Its funny you say the selection is weak, as there have been some rather ground breaking titles on consoles lately.

Sony tought that the PS3 was designed for 10 years, because they didn't see either Nintendo or Microsoft as serious contenders.

The reality is that Microsoft will most likely release its next system in 2011, and if Sony doesn't want to be releasing its own 2 years later like with the PS3, they need to be ready for at least 2012.

10 years in a competitive environment is wishful thinking regarding consoles. It's like saying a 2009 PC player that his voodoo3 is still ze shit.

My addiction History:
    >> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
    >> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
    >> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

• Cyborg99Cyborg99 Member Posts: 576

Lol consoles are subpar in every way compared to pc. PS3 has a Geforce 7900 which is 3 years old lol.

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

The only posts I read in threads are my own.

Originally posted by Omega3

Sony tought that the PS3 was designed for 10 years, because they didn't see either Nintendo or Microsoft as serious contenders.

The reality is that Microsoft will most likely release its next system in 2011, and if Sony doesn't want to be releasing its own 2 years later like with the PS3, they need to be ready for at least 2012.

10 years in a competitive environment is wishful thinking regarding consoles. It's like saying a 2009 PC player that his voodoo3 is still ze shit.

You seem to be thinking of Microsoft and the xbox and xbox 360. The Playstation 2 says otherwise, precedence trumps your Crystal ball of assumption..

"The PS2 is the best-selling console to date, having reached over 138 million units sell-in as of August 18, 2009[2] and a software library projected to exceed 1,900 games in 2009.[6] Twenty games are scheduled to be released in 2010, giving the PS2 a marketable life of over 10 years, thus continuing the sixth generation."

Not sure how it is you seem to think Sony wont put out another console before the tean years of the PS3 is over, just like they did with the PS2.

Does putting out a new console magically mean that the old console is dead, PS2 sales and games in devlopment say no. Again, your thinking of the xbox.

Originally posted by Cyborg99

Lol consoles are subpar in every way compared to pc. PS3 has a Geforce 7900 which is 3 years old lol.

Clearly you dont understand the benefits of designing for a static set of hardware, instead of using brute force and all inclusive support for millions of hardware configurations.

The PS3 probably outperforms your current PC right now, still running the same applications.

Anyway, expect more MMOs on consoles in the near future.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Omega3

I don't think we will see the next Xbox 360 that early for a number of reasons.

First of all Microsoft has mentioned they expect this console cycle to last longer than the previous one.

Also, Microsoft released a huge interface overhaul with the NXE and recently announced Project Nathal. 

I doubt they would do these things when they have anout console released in 2011. That means they would release the console a year after the launch of Project Nathal. unlikely if you ask me.

To Cyborg99:

That's not entirely true, consoles have some benefits over PC gaming.

The most obvious one is the price point. Consoles are significantly cheaper than a Gaming PC.  Another obvious reason is accessibiity. You never have to look for drivers, check your system specs or tinker with system files to get a game running smoothly.

You pop the disk in, load it up and there you go. No hassle at all.

Obviously PC gaming also has it benefits. Your gaming experience is a lot more customizable and if you're willing to invest, you can run games at very high specs.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by beeker255

Originally posted by Guillermo197

Not so much.

Ps3 has more features, better hardware, is more powerful, and has a free network. There are at least 5 MMO's coming out for it.
    Xbox may have a larger library, but that's only because its older. Price is no longer a reason not to buy. Just saying Sony is gearing up to big things currently, they just had a slow start up due to cost of the better hardware.

LOL!

Maybe you should learn to google a bit more, before making claims that the PS3 is more powerful and has better hardware then the XBOX360.

Plenty of tests have shown how big of a flop the PS3 really is.

The only thing the PS3 had going for is BluRay. But now the standard BluRay players have dropped in price so much, there goes PS3's last thing it had going for.

Ever wondered why more and more games come out for the XBOX360 and not for the PS3?  Google a bit and you will find out the shocking truth!

The fact that they come out with a new version of the PS3 with a HardDisk the same size the XBOX360 always had and they now drop the price to $300 is a mere act of desperation on Sony's behalf.

And now with Project Natal coming for the XBOX360... Sony is pissing their pants.

Cheers

Mr.Gates is that you?

I am absolutely no Microsoft Fan if that is what you think.

Just google some tech sites that have run tests on both XBOX360 and PS3 and you will be in for a shocker!

And why there aren't so many games for PS3 and more for XBOX360 has absolutely nothing to do with the XBOX360 being older!

Sorry tho, but the PS3 is now nearly 3 years old and the amount of games available now is a joke!

And the reason for that is pretty much simple, many have already explained why. And that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the age of the PS3 !

It has all to do with the horrible development tools of the PS3 and the ever idiotic arrogant stiffness of Sony!

A lot of Game Development Houses have gotten fed up with Sony and some of them have even turned their back on them and now only develop for PC, XBOX360 and WII.

Just google around and read some articles. Has nothing to do with Fanboism at all. As a Games Development company wants to make as much money as possible. So when they start avoiding developing for PS3, then it's serious!

Cheers

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

I'd like to have a PS3 MMO (the Agency thing doesnt interest me much), would be something new )

Not so much.

Ps3 has more features, better hardware, is more powerful, and has a free network. There are at least 5 MMO's coming out for it.
    Xbox may have a larger library, but that's only because its older. Price is no longer a reason not to buy. Just saying Sony is gearing up to big things currently, they just had a slow start up due to cost of the better hardware.

LOL!

Maybe you should learn to google a bit more, before making claims that the PS3 is more powerful and has better hardware then the XBOX360.

The only thing the PS3 had going for is BluRay. But now the standard BluRay players have dropped in price so much, there goes PS3's last thing it had going for.

Ever wondered why more and more games come out for the XBOX360 and not for the PS3?  Google a bit and you will find out the shocking truth!

The fact that they come out with a new version of the PS3 with a HardDisk the same size the XBOX360 always had and they now drop the price to $300 is a mere act of desperation on Sony's behalf.

And now with Project Natal coming for the XBOX360... Sony is pissing their pants.

Cheers

Mr.Gates is that you?

Just google some tech sites that have run tests on both XBOX360 and PS3 and you will be in for a shocker!

And why there aren't so many games for PS3 and more for XBOX360 has absolutely nothing to do with the XBOX360 being older!

Sorry tho, but the PS3 is now nearly 3 years old and the amount of games available now is a joke!

And the reason for that is pretty much simple, many have already explained why. And that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the age of the PS3 !

It has all to do with the horrible development tools of the PS3 and the ever idiotic arrogant stiffness of Sony!

A lot of Game Development Houses have gotten fed up with Sony and some of them have even turned their back on them and now only develop for PC, XBOX360 and WII.

Just google around and read some articles. Has nothing to do with Fanboism at all. As a Games Development company wants to make as much money as possible. So when they start avoiding developing for PS3, then it's serious!

Cheers

The Xbox 360 doesn't have much more games than the Playstation 3, and if you start comparing the amount of big titles (As in, not shovelware) you'll notice that the Playstation 3's lineup rivals if not exceeds the Xbox 360. I'm willing to bet that for most Xbox 360 exclusive you can name, I can counter it with a Playstation 3 exclusive.

The Xbox 360 isn't as powerful as the Playstation 3. This is also proven by the fact that no game on the 360 comes anywhere near Killzone 2 from a technical perspective.

It's much harder to program for, sure but harder to program for =/= superior hardware

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

The reason why the PS3 is so expensive is for that blue laser that comes inside it, is a devil to produce and has a horrible failure rate on the wafer, meaning that the yeild is awful.

Sony wanted Blu-ray players out in 2000, there is even a news article in New Scientist from 1999 from Sony saying chuck out your DVD's as the Blu-ray will be here next year and will replace DVD.

So they spent over 15 years getting the blue laser didode to mass production and it's still ruddy expensive and that's why they were so late to the party this time around.

It also doesn't really matter what hardware is inside the machines as all the 3rd party games will bash out multi-platform games which all look the same and the exclusives are not worth the £/$ 300 for the machine.

Given that q1-q2 sales for 2009 are down on 2008, Sony needs to stop looking to make money on the Hardware and get the price down otherwise the next load of consoles will suddenly overtake it.

There has been talk of the next Xbox developer kits having gone out to the big studios and if MS makes that a win7 based system then I reckon it will be a winner as it will have DX11 and PC games will port over with little fuss.

The PS3 console has been manufactured at a loss from launch, this was intentional, because market penetration (and at the time, making blu-ray the dominant platform) are what matters.

Why you think this is a move by Sony to make tons of money hats is beyond me, the real money comes from game sales.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Not so much.

LOL!

Cheers

Mr.Gates is that you?

Cheers

The Xbox 360 doesn't have much more games than the Playstation 3, and if you start comparing the amount of big titles (As in, not shovelware) you'll notice that the Playstation 3's lineup rivals if not exceeds the Xbox 360. I'm willing to bet that for most Xbox 360 exclusive you can name, I can counter it with a Playstation 3 exclusive.

The Xbox 360 isn't as powerful as the Playstation 3. This is also proven by the fact that no game on the 360 comes anywhere near Killzone 2 from a technical perspective.

It's much harder to program for, sure but harder to program for =/= superior hardware

PS3 does not have better big titles and while Killzone 2 does look great but its not like it looks like Crysis.

Originally posted by Korvenus

Not so much.

LOL!

Cheers

Mr.Gates is that you?

Cheers

PS3 does not have better big titles and while Killzone 2 does look great but its not like it looks like Crysis.

Yes the PS3 does have better big titles on the way at the moment. I never said Killzone 2 looks like Crysis, I said it looks better than anything avaible on the Xbox 360 from a technical perspective.

What does PS3 have comming? I know about God Of War, Mag and Uncharted 2 but I dont know of anything else thats major.

What does PS3 have comming? I know about God Of War, Mag and Uncharted 2 but I dont know of anything else thats major.

Well just to mention a few,

Gran Turismo 5

The Last Guardian

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Final Fantasy XIV

White Knight Chronicles

Heavy Rain

The Agency

DC Universe Online

Ratchet & Clank: A crack in time

Modnation Racers

Quantum Theory

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

God of War 3

MAG

Uncharted 2

Demon's Soul

You can also bet a new Resistance is currently under development.

Also with exception of The Agency, DC Universe and Final Fantasy XIV, all these games are exclusive to Playstation 3, not avaible on the PC.

Demon souls is destined fro greatness, people who have played the import have given it rave reviews.

Key Features

* Ultimate hardcore RPG challenge - In this brutal land, death is inevitable, but not final. Combining the best features of an action game and RPG, you'll slice, smash, shoot, and ensorcel some of the most horrible, vicious enemies ever encountered. Are you strong enough to face the impossible and win?
    * Groundbreaking online capabilities - Network features go far beyond any previous RPG, allowing players to leave hints for each other, replay death scenes, cooperatively revive dead players, or invade another player's game to wreak havoc. Not merely an add-on feature, multiplayer options are vast, and uniquely focused on changing and intensifying the single player experience.
    * Freeform and flexible - The open-ended structure of the game means that there is no single path, but rather a wealth of options. Set your own pace and progress as you like. Build exactly the character you want by creating a detailed avatar, nurturing the right stats, and customizing your skills and equipment.
    * You act, the world reacts - The World Tendency system changes the aggressiveness of monsters and the rewards for killing them based on players' actions. Different events and NPCs may be triggered, as well.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Sony unveils slimmer PS3: $300, lands in September
    Hardly a surprise, but Sony got on stage today at GamesCom and confirmed what we've all known deep down in our hearts: the new, slimmer PS3 is really real. It'll be out in the first week of September (September 1 in North America and Europe, September 3 for Japan), and will retail for $300 (or 300 Euro, or 29,980 Yen). It's smaller and lighter, has a 120GB HDD, and packs "all the same features" of the regular PS3 while consuming 34 percent less power and taking up 32 percent less space. Existing PS3 SKUs have their prices dropped a hundie apiece tomorrow in anticipation, so be sure to grab a space heater while you've still got a shot -- though we're not sure why you'd pay $300 for an 80GB PS3 when you can wait a couple weeks and get 120GB in a cuter package.
     Making MMOs on the console, in HD from your couch mush more affordable. Games like M.A.G and the new FF will be hotness on this. So much for anyone sitting on the fence between this and a Xbox (that i dont know of that has any MMO's for it)

Xbox 360 has FFXI, as opposed to the current PS3, which has...wait a minute while I count them up...exactly *no* MMORPGs currently released. (You could play the PS2 edition of FFXI back when PS3s had PS2 compatibility, but not now)

That would be because FFXI was on PS2.

NCSoft has made a deal with Sony, planning to develop 2 MMO's to the PS3. There is also the new Eve console shooter, M.A.G, FF, Huxley, DC universe, The agency, and many others not yet announced/confirmed. This was my point, there is no longer the price as a hurdle to buying a PS3 VS. the other consoles, however for MMO players, its going to be the platform of choice for console MMO's. Especially with the price reduction.

The PlayStation network is ideal for support the titles.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

I've been around enough years to know that real neat games that are going to be fantastic but aren't here yet don't count. Call back about how great the PS3 is for MMORPGs when some actually exist.

It seems that all the PS3 talk is about whats comming instead of whats here. People have been saying the same thing for years and still saying the same thing. Also is MAG an MMO?

The whole thread was about MMOs coming to consoles, it took you two four pages to realize this?

Add Blade & Soul to that list.

----------

How are you?" -Me

It seems that all the PS3 talk is about whats comming instead of whats here. People have been saying the same thing for years and still saying the same thing. Also is MAG an MMO?

Maybe the fact you asked what is comming instead of what is out there has something to do with it? If you want to know what games are already avaible, feel free to ask.

if MAG is an MMO depends on how you define MMO.

If your definition of MMO = A massive amount of people playing in the same game room/world then yes, MAG is an MMO. 256 players can play together at the same time.

You are wrong my friend. The whole thread was about the PS3 Slim and the $100 price drop and like I said when was MAG said to be an MMO? Also Final Fantasy is not an exclusive. Sony made the statement at E3 and afther E3 a Square Enix rep said that Sony was wrong in there statement. As of now its just only been anounced for PS3 and PC. I am sure Microsoft are working with Square on Final Fantasy XIV

Maybe the fact you asked what is comming instead of what is out there has something to do with it? If you want to know what games are already avaible, feel free to ask.

if MAG is an MMO depends on how you define MMO.

If your definition of MMO = A massive amount of people playing in the same game room/world then yes, MAG is an MMO. 256 players can play together at the same time.

So the question I asked made everybody on this thread talk about whats comming? Even the people who posted before I even asked the question?

As for MAG is not about opinion. Did the company thats making MAG say it was a MMO? Its a simple yes or no.