Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will champions online affect the player base in Cox?

elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

Just wondering what will happen.  I loved CoV, but went on to other things. I am excited about Champ Online and will play it.  Will it hurt Cox badly?

Comments

• crapricotcrapricot Member Posts: 46

i dont no

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

do you play City of ...? Will you play Champions Online?

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

As a longtime CoX player I have been closely watching both Champions Online and DC Online.   I have seen nothing which would convince me to switch.

Will it hurt CoX numbers?   My guess would be a little, at first anyway.   In the long run, I doubt it.   CoX numbers are currently up from what they were this time last year.

Originally posted by SwampRob

As a longtime CoX player I have been closely watching both Champions Online and DC Online.   I have seen nothing which would convince me to switch.
    Will it hurt CoX numbers?   My guess would be a little, at first anyway.   In the long run, I doubt it.   CoX numbers are currently up from what they were this time last year.

ok let me ask you another question - I played CoV and loved it, CoH not so much, but once I hit  lvl 30-35 it seemed very hard to get a team together to do missions, and I never found a guild that was effective in doing missions together - has that changed?

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I think Champions Online will siphon off a good amount of active players initially, if not subscribers.  That is, the CoX players that don't go over to CO at all will feel it more than NCsoft will at first.  I think CoX is a phenomenal game and am basically subscribed through 2011 but even dedicated players have to acknowledge this:  Champions Online will be the new shiny, it will draw interest from a different pool of players (new players or those who have left CoX already), it will have new play mechanics, and, most importantly, **it will have new stories! (i.e. missions) and that is what an mmo is all about.

Will I go over to Champions Online?  It depends.....first on reviews and, frankly,  I really, really need to see this game for myself because the art at times looks fantastic and then at other times like utter crap.  I'm hoping for some kind of open beta, even for 1 day, just to see what's going on with it.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    Originally posted by elderotter

ok let me ask you another question - I played CoV and loved it, CoH not so much, but once I hit  lvl 30-35 it seemed very hard to get a team together to do missions, and I never found a guild that was effective in doing missions together - has that changed?

Create a character on the Freedom or Virtue servers.    The chat box is spawning LFGs or LFMs almost non-stop at times.   Also, with the upcoming "Going Rogue", where heroes can become villains and vice versa, the hero vs villain population should level out even more.

Originally posted by therain93

I think Champions Online will siphon off a good amount of active players initially, if not subscribers.  That is, the CoX players that don't go over to CO at all will feel it more than NCsoft will at first.  I think CoX is a phenomenal game and am basically subscribed through 2011 but even dedicated players have to acknowledge this:  Champions Online will be the new shiny, it will draw interest from a different pool of players (new players or those who have left CoX already), it will have new play mechanics, and, most importantly, **it will have new stories! (i.e. missions) and that is what an mmo is all about.
    Will I go over to Champions Online?  It depends.....first on reviews and, frankly,  I really, really need to see this game for myself because the art at times looks fantastic and then at other times like utter crap.  I'm hoping for some kind of open beta, even for 1 day, just to see what's going on with it.

Gamestop is offering an open beta key with pre-orders - fyi.  And yes I am excited enough about this game that

i do seem to be a fanboi. sorry.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Yes I am afraid it will, the only ones that will stay are the people that are too proud and angry to play Champions.

Champions Online is going to swipe all Superhero games for sure. And remember this post when it goes live.

Create a character on the Freedom or Virtue servers.    The chat box is spawning LFGs or LFMs almost non-stop at times.   Also, with the upcoming "Going Rogue", where heroes can become villains and vice versa, the hero vs villain population should level out even more.

Thanks... I might just do that - playing LOTRO atm and am so very bored.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by therain93

Gamestop is offering an open beta key with pre-orders - fyi.  And yes I am excited enough about this game that

i do seem to be a fanboi. sorry.

Don't apologize -- in our very hearts, we're all fanboi's of something ( ' ;

Does gamestop allow you to cancel pre-orders or do you just forgo your 5 dollars?  Either way, I may be willing to pay 5 bucks if it can determine if I'll save $35 more or spend a few hundred over the next few years playing this.

• ragon2727ragon2727 Member UncommonPosts: 7

I think CO will initially hurt CoX subs, and depending on the quality of CO's launch will it matter.  It's going to be an interesting fight.  Gotta remember that Cryptic Studios first developed and launched CoX before selling it to NC Soft and eventually making CO (After Microsoft and Marvel walked away from Marvel Universe Online).  So they know how to make a SuperHero game. (Debated on the topic of Enhancment Diversification - CURSE YOU JACK EMMETT!)  

I personally know quite a few long time vets of CoX that are going to give CO a try.  I'm a 5+ year vet of CoX and I'll be honest.  I plan on trying CO out.  Though from what I understand there is no ability to play a villain and it loses a great deal of appeal there.

Personally I wanna see a fight between Statesman and Defender!  Winner gets my sub!

(Now ask me if I think DC Universe is going to hurt CoX's and CO's player base- Three Way fight, Statesman vs Defender vs Superman)

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

I've played CoX for nearly five years, my sub expires in August and I have no intention of renewing it. That has nothing to do with CO though, I haven't made up my mind on that one.

After such a long time on a game I've just become pretty jaded with it. There's nothing I haven't done or seen on City of Heroes or the Villians side and the devs keep adding little glitzy bits on instead of working on something new and exciting for the people who have already ground their way to 50 half a dozen times.

To me, CO looks a bit flat and lifeless - cartoony if you will. I don't really like that. Crying out here for a reasonably fast paced game with characters that actually look human...I'll keep looking...

• havok527havok527 Member Posts: 80

Without a doubt, Champions Online will affect the CoX subscribers initially since these two games are competing in the superhero MMO niche, but it depends on how well CO will be able to hold on to their player base after launch.

• leilaopleilaop Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by patrikd23

Yes I am afraid it will, the only ones that will stay are the people that are too proud and angry to play Champions.

Champions Online is going to swipe all Superhero games for sure. And remember this post when it goes live.

i remembered reading this before....

dun dun dun dunnnnnn

*necro power*

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by leilaop

Originally posted by patrikd23

i remembered reading this before....

dun dun dun dunnnnnn

*necro power*

LOL!!!

Wish I could find all the old gems before WAR launched... right now, all I can find is a comment on a WAR preview that said something like:  "If you think WAR will have ANYTHING less than 3 million subs, you're drinking too much WoW koolaid."

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

This thread is interesting to read now that CO has fully failed to kill CoH. Turns out it did affect CoH's population for a little while but people returned to CoH in droves, especially once Going Rogue launched.

CO could only be deemed a failure in light of the fact it was the new kid on the block, taking on an aging competitor. If the game was innovative and fun enough, there's no reason why it shouldn't have killed off CoH easily. Everything was on its side: a clean slate, an updated engine, and a wealth of lessons learned from CoH's development. And it managed to completely bungle it.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens when CO goes F2P and DCUO launches. Will CoH stay on top? I wouldn't be surprised if it does as it remains the only superhero MMO to offer a deep, traditional MMO gameplay experience, compared with CO and DCUO's "action" approach.

• iCaptainGeekiCaptainGeek Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by OSF8759

This thread is interesting to read now that CO has fully failed to kill CoH. Turns out it did affect CoH's population for a little while but people returned to CoH in droves, especially once Going Rogue launched.

CO could only be deemed a failure in light of the fact it was the new kid on the block, taking on an aging competitor. If the game was innovative and fun enough, there's no reason why it shouldn't have killed off CoH easily. Everything was on its side: a clean slate, an updated engine, and a wealth of lessons learned from CoH's development. And it managed to completely bungle it.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens when CO goes F2P and DCUO launches. Will CoH stay on top? I wouldn't be surprised if it does as it remains the only superhero MMO to offer a deep, traditional MMO gameplay experience, compared with CO and DCUO's "action" approach.

Excellent post, OSF8759.  I have been a CoX fan since it was only CoH (no CoV nor Rogues) and have heard the Doomsayers proclaim its demise nearly non-stop for many years.  Guess what? It's still here. 

Despite all the rants of all the Doomsayers, nothing has truly 'ruined the game' nor killed it.  CoH Freedom will likewise not ruin nor kill the game.  In fact, I am definately looking forward to it.  I regularly hype CoX to anyone who will listen to this old geek, and Freedom will give me the opportunity to help get more people addicted to the game I love.  That's a big win in my book.