Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proof of the Evolution

idrostidrost Member Posts: 4

I have been reading a lot on these forums lately and I see tons of threads dealing with definitions of MMOs, questions about what to label certain games, and amazing amout of people arguing about things that really don't matter.

I really enjoyed

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/3284/Five-Proofs-of-MMO-Evolution.html

and would recommend this read.

It seems that  the majority of devs working on what some people call MMOs have broadened the definition -- or killed it.

I for one will pay for this game AND a monthly fee.  It has strategic elements and requires skill that most typical "MMOs" don't carry.  I will spare you the list as it is posted in several other threads here and there.  I have played video games since PONG so I have seen a lot in my day and I have learned one thing, variety is king and "good" is simply an exercise in that persons perception.

If I buy GA or any other subscription based game ... heck we should call them SBGs instead of MMOs.. fails to live up to what I want or I deam it not worth it, I stop.  Just like I stopped paying for WAR and AOC.  

Comments

• MuspilliMuspilli Member UncommonPosts: 29

Your post is full of wisdom, but I digress, it has most likely been lost in the non-sensicle garbled mess called MMORPG.com. The fact that no one has responded in over a week proves this much.  Genre type casting is death to any gaming industry. If you expect the same elements in a new game that was once known in an old then why even buy the "next" game. People need to get their heads out of the "small box" and open their small brains to new ideas.

GA will be incredibly succesful, it's a skill based game requiring guild coordination unmatched by any in a very very long time. 

I for one am very excited for the release.

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

I agree with the fact we need to stop arguing whether it is an "Mmo" or not.    I wonder with all point bulletin switching away from subscription fee,  A game similar to GA and releasing at a similar time, will maybe cause GA to change their stance on subscription fees.  

The Developers know that GA is not strictly for the MMO consumer because they market their game at Quake Con.

Personally I would define Global Agenda as a MMO/Multiplayer cross breed.

I feel that GA success will depend on if the producers can get the online multiplayer shooter crowd to pay a subscription fee, and whether the devs can get the mmo fan to play a game that during pve and pvp will have direct displayed player interaction at 4 in pve and 24 in pvp. The hex base raids with 60 people is not what I consider direct displayed player interaction. 

Personally I think the game like guildwars will be fun for a month or two but I can only play instanced player limited maps to a point.  

I just think they are going to have a hard time getting FPS Joe who never paid a subscription fee to start.    Hence why APB went non subscription fee and Guildwars did as well.   

Another indication of a lack of following by MMO players would be the evidence of a lack of activity on this forum.  Especially, when the game won an editor's choice award.

• MuspilliMuspilli Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by tbox

Another indication of a lack of following by MMO players would be the evidence of a lack of activity on this forum.  Especially, when the game won an editor's choice award. 

Your right activity here is low. Mainly because everyone interested is wrapped up in the amazing community at GA's official forums. It has nothing to do with lack of interest, with their forum board wracking in a little under 100,000 posts. That's not bad for an independent startup.

They still have a lot of work to do, I am hoping for the best instead of casting stones at poor business model decision that I would never pretend to be able to contrive.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Most people here don't consider this game an MMO.

While I myself haven't done the research to determine that. By reading the forums you can see these are the feelings of the majority of this community.

Also a 100k forum community is nothing. A game like Darkfall had a bigger community and now sits at under 10k subscribers.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372
    Originally posted by Muspilli

Originally posted by tbox

Your right activity here is low. Mainly because everyone interested is wrapped up in the amazing community at GA's official forums. It has nothing to do with lack of interest, with their forum board wracking in a little under 100,000 posts. That's not bad for an independent startup.

They still have a lot of work to do, I am hoping for the best instead of casting stones at poor business model decision that I would never pretend to be able to contrive.

I told you the factors I think we make or brake Global Agenda's success and then I

gave my 2 cents.  I am hoping for the best as well.    

It also depends on what your or my definiation of sucess is.   

A side note about subscriptions.  I think warhammer had over a mil beta applications forum subs.   They sold 700k.   I think their beta/forum subs were 1 mill and change. So  about a 70% rate of actual sales.   I am not sure if that can be directly applyed or not. That being said it was 1mil before release.   GA has a little while to go still.  Ga is not just marketing towards the MMo crowd also.  I think guildwars sold a million copies but not all on release.