Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rest in peace Xbox 360.

MilkyMilky Member Posts: 339

Comments

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

whats a ps3 slim going to do? im sure microsoft will still outsell sony

gamertag - Swaffle House

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

There are still only 5 or so games on the PS3 that I want... Not worried.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• Hades_WarpigHades_Warpig Member Posts: 265

And I think it's ugly. 

• MuraisMurais Member UncommonPosts: 1,118

What an ugly case for a MacBook.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

First of all I'd like to say that I have nothing against the PS3 as a gaming platform. From a purely hardware standpoint it is a top notch console. That said it's not the hardware that is keeping the Sony console behind Microsoft in console sales so reducing the size and I assume manufacturing costs of the PS3 will do nothing to unseat the Xbox as the leading console between the two. What it all boils down to is the available game library for each console. Right now the Xbox has all the cards stacked in its favor in this regard but the PS3 is gaining ground slowly. This is due mostly to developer laziness more than anything else. The Xbox uses a version of Visual C which makes it a whole heck of a lot easier to write games for than using the PS3s code. This means that almost any PC based developer can very easily adapt their existing code for the Xbox whereas programs for the PS3 have to be just about rewritten from scratch.

The Xbox 360 will not have anything to worry about where the PS3 is concerned until the number of games available for the PS3 rivals the Microsoft console. People buy consoles based on the games they want to play. Not that there aren't some damn impressive games out for the PS3 just that the Xbox has sheer numbers on it's side. Also Xbox has more exclusives that are highly rated games that people want to play. Until this changes more in the PS3s favor it will always be playing catchup with the 360. Think about it... when you decided on which console you personally wanted it wasn't the console itself that made up your mind... it was that game that was available for it that you simply had to play.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• gaiusmariusgaiusmarius Member UncommonPosts: 39

Moved to the Console Gaming section. Please try to post in the correct area. Thanks :-)

[Playing] SW:ToR
    [Played] AoC, WoW, Rift, EQ 1, 2, SWG, DAoC, WAR, GW1, EVE, PotBS.
    [Watching] GW2, Archage

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

It isn't the games that's an issue because the Xbox360 doesn't have any better games anymore. In fact, i'd argue that the lineup for 2008, 2009 and 2010 is superior on the Playstation 3. If we look at this year, Sony made a great start with Killzone 2 and INfamous with Ratchet & clank, Demon's soul and Uncharted 2 still on the way for this year and a strong 2010 lineup.

The issue hasn't been games for a long time because Microsoft has not have an edge in quality games since 2007.

The biggest issue has always been price. The playstation 3 was simply to expensive for many people.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

figures... this happens a month after i buy my PS3 for 400$....

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

lol that sucks man

gamertag - Swaffle House

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

having a slimmer version of a console won't help it become the top selling console..it all depends on the games

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by reimaru

having a slimmer version of a console won't help it become the top selling console..it all depends on the games

Well Playstation 3 clearly has a great upcomming lineup of games.

A slimmer version of a console is more beneficial to Sony than the consumer. It reduces the price cost of the console.

I don't think anybody thought "The playstation 3 looks good, I would buy it if only it was smaller".

The big news here isn't the fact that it's smaller, it's the price cut that now puts the price point very close to the Xbox 360 and Wii.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by reimaru

Well Playstation 3 clearly has a great upcomming lineup of games.

A slimmer version of a console is more beneficial to Sony than the consumer. It reduces the price cost of the console.

I don't think anybody thought "The playstation 3 looks good, I would buy it if only it was smaller".

The big news here isn't the fact that it's smaller, it's the price cut that now puts the price point very close to the Xbox 360 and Wii.

Size is perhaps an issue in Japan. I saw a television show (most likely G4)  that was broadcast when the original xbox was released. Many seemed to think that the size of the console was one of the things that hurt sales in Japan.The price drop has me thinking about getting a PS3 but the backwards compatability issues with it is a problem for me. 

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

LOL they annouced the ps3 slim about 3 weeks after I bought my $400 version also.

Personally I like my PS3 much better than the 360. Granted the Xbox does have a better game selection, but with a decent computer I wont miss out on many Microsoft games anyways.

Me and a buddy of mine both went and got PS3's on the same day, after BOTH of our 360s went down again for the 2nd time.

We are both in our late 30's, make a good living and could have afforded to buy another xbox or pay for MS to fix ours.  The fact that we both had hardware failure a 2nd time around pretty much ensures I wont purchase another 360 ever, no matter what game or games I will miss out on.

My old PS2 is still kicking after years and years of use and abuse. No excuse for the 360's to be such pieces of shit.

One guy at the game store said he was on his 3rd or 4th 360. No way no how will I pay again and again for a pos console. At least with the PS3 i can expect it to last more than 6 months without having to be sent in.

This is all just my opinion based off my experience of course =)

Originally posted by jdnewell

LOL they annouced the ps3 slim about 3 weeks after I bought my $400 version also.
    Personally I like my PS3 much better than the 360. Granted the Xbox does have a better game selection, but with a decent computer I wont miss out on many Microsoft games anyways.
    Me and a buddy of mine both went and got PS3's on the same day, after BOTH of our 360s went down again for the 2nd time.
    We are both in our late 30's, make a good living and could have afforded to buy another xbox or pay for MS to fix ours.  The fact that we both had hardware failure a 2nd time around pretty much ensures I wont purchase another 360 ever, no matter what game or games I will miss out on.
    My old PS2 is still kicking after years and years of use and abuse. No excuse for the 360's to be such pieces of shit.
    One guy at the game store said he was on his 3rd or 4th 360. No way no how will I pay again and again for a pos console. At least with the PS3 i can expect it to last more than 6 months without having to be sent in.
    This is all just my opinion based off my experience of course =)

This is the only product i know of  that people will  not only accept an extremely high failure rate  but continue to go back for more and  will argue the point as how its the best  value in a console. Everyone i know that owns one has had it sent back for repair or purchased another.

3 out of 4 friends I know who own 360's have had them fail. One guy is on his 2nd and it is on it's last leg. He expects it to go out any day now ( system lockups, can't read disc errors, ect)

He is a Halo fanatic and will purchase a 3rd one when the 2nd one craps out. To me this is crazy, but to each their own. His money and his time I guess.

Meanwhile I will enjoy my PS3. =)

• GrandVizierGrandVizier Member UncommonPosts: 72

The rising rates of the "Yellow Light of Death" on the PS3 may change those failure rate numbers quite a bit.

According to a lot of sites, such as www.ps3blog.net/tag/failure-rates/ (just google "yellow light of death" for more) it looks to be a very similar problem to the RROD on 360s.  And just like Microsoft did with the RRODs, Sony is apparently charging to fix the problem.

Not sure if this is also on the new slims or not (or even if the new slims are out yet) though, as I'm not a big console player.

Cheers.

*EDIT*:  Of course Sony is fighting back with on the numbers/frequency, so it will be interesting to see real numbers.  Some sites say it is happening more often than other sites.

"Asking permission is easier than asking forgiveness."

"Without power, one dies."

-State Pestage, Grand Vizier

Well all I can say is that if my PS3 goes down the crapper then I will be done with consoles i guess =(   Not a matter of money as much as principle for me.

I agree. With the xbox fail rate if sony sucks as hard it will be back to the ps2 and gamecube for me as far as consoles.