Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Blog: Developments on the Horizon

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The good people at Funcom have updated their Official MMORPG.com blog, this time with an entry that goes over what's in store from AoC in the immediate future.

The past few weeks have been very interesting for us on the community and development teams. We’ve both launched one of our biggest updates to date along with our reevaluation campaign. I’ve personally been swamped with all of this including preparations for our annual Dragon*Con convention that will surely kick some major ass this year.

On to the good stuff!

Our Game Director Craig ‘Silirrion’ Morrison has just popped out his monthly production letter to the community. This month’s letter covers the next focus that will include guild system changes. I won’t go into too much detail here to summarize it introduces a new Guild Renown system. This will bring in some interesting game play aspects for guilds like Renown points based on guildy actions in-game, Renown levels that utilize those points as sort of a guild level for your character and Renown rankings that basically combines all the above into a guild rank for more competitive elements. Along with that, the letter also mentioned some significant additions like new zones in the form of House of Crom, Thoth-Amon’s Stronghold and the new Tower-Based PVP objectives in the Border Kingdoms.

Check out the new blog entry, here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• smokefinsmokefin Member Posts: 48

This game director is the doom of conan, ever since he took over the game has been dumbed down to a crap. I really dont like the direction he has taken and i hate to say it, but everyday this game seems to resemble wow more. This new direction is pure fail and i really hope that the old godager or what ever his name would come back. Renown system, where did i hear that? Oh that was in wow too... oh well.

Pvp is in the ruins after the last patch and i have quit, i dont feel one bit interested to playing age of conan after 1.05 patch even if it was free to play game. I have been a subscriber since the day conan went live and now i can honestly say that i will never return, this game will die.

my 2 cents.

Cool cat

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by smokefin

This game director is the doom of conan, ever since he took over the game has been dumbed down to a crap. I really dont like the direction he has taken and i hate to say it, but everyday this game seems to resemble wow more. This new direction is pure fail and i really hope that the old godager or what ever his name would come back. Renown system, where did i hear that? Oh that was in wow too... oh well.
    Pvp is in the ruins after the last patch and i have quit, i dont feel one bit interested to playing age of conan after 1.05 patch even if it was free to play game. I have been a subscriber since the day conan went live and now i can honestly say that i will never return, this game will die.
    my 2 cents.

1. The game was dying before the change in management, things seem to be up now.

2. Being more WoW like = more subs

3. Renown is from WAR IIRC.

4. 1.05 made the game 100x better and most agree, you are in the minority.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by skeaser

my 2 cents.

1. The game was dying before the change in management, things seem to be up now.

2. Being more WoW like = more subs

3. Renown is from WAR IIRC.

4. 1.05 made the game 100x better and most agree, you are in the minority.

Well, stats speak for them self. Aoc was 20th on xfire when the reeval got live, now 35th and going down everyday. Trust me, conan wount be in top 100 in a month.

Cool cat

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

xfire has never been a reliable indicator for any game.

It does give general impression, does it not?

Cool cat

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

This game was a steaming pile at launch and soon thereafter. AoC has only gotten better since 1.05, and will continue if they stay on the same road. Conan will always suffer from a bad launch, but that doesn't mean the game isn't any good now. Is it the best MMO I've played in the last 10 years? Hell no. Have I been having a good time since I resubbed 2 months ago? Hell yes.

Using Xfire as a popularity indicator is like using a screen door on a submarine. Just as many gamers use it as don't use it. So what if the majority of a game's player base is that 50% that doesn't use Xfire? Just throwing that out there.

Personally, I don't care what the numbers look like for Conan, because all I know is that my wife and I are having a good time playing together.

Joined - July 2004

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

It does give general impression, does it not?

no .

posted this before but x fire numbers are not even close to a deepndable % of players.besides one can up the numbers by loading xfire an afking in game to boost the hours played.

idea behind xfire is the voice chat etc. most use vent.no one i have talked to ever has used x fire in any game i have played.eq1,warhammer.,city of heroes,aoc,or even wow .

GAME MINUTES PLAYED

World of Warcraft 31,274,331

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Multiplayer 21,384,213

Call of Duty 2 Multiplayer 11,429,441

Counter-Strike: Source 4,258,577

Battlefield 2 3,040,583

Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne 2,987,838

Call of Duty: World at War Multiplayer 2,016,803

Guild Wars 1,921,841

Silkroad Online 1,697,768

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 1,626,879

shows todays numbers an if you notice the trend free to play all but wow. an cod4 could be the wow killer every one is looking for?

www.xfire.com/games/#

kinda shows ya the list.diablo 2 is doing very well among x fire users....see the problem here its no where based on real subs or what one sees in game.its a mesurment of hours played not players playing.a few people could rank up a game just by afking with xfire on.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148

oh pluuuuze. I bash AoC all the time, but Crag morrison is the savior of this game. Who else?  Erling "  I lie for a living" Erlingson?

Thank god Failcom hired this new dude. Without him, the game would be over, completely.

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.