Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad Weapon and Armor art.

EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Just my opinion.. but for a mmorpg aimed for the 'western' audiences, it fails where it comes to Weapons and Armors looks.

Too many flashy colors, nonsense armors that would hurt the guy wearing them instead of protecting.. obviously unbalanced weapons, bows that look like staffs, swords looking like unbalanced metal clubs.. come on.. with so well done pc model graphics, why did they killed the beauty of it with crappy bad taste weapons and armors art?

Imo this is one of the things bad in aion.. the bad lore / art quality. Could have been such a nice game..

NCsoft should have got some western artists, people who know what they doing for a western audiance taste. See most of us like a bastard sword looking like one, a good old longsword or even a decent twohander.. but we have seen them so much in museums that we actually 'know' who they should look like.. and aint the crappy looks aion got for them. Same with armors.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR

Comments

• AikkoAikko Member Posts: 25

2 Words, personal taste. I love it a massive spear on the back of your character. The armour i also love so different, why does it have to look historically looking. Imo the armour/weapons looks are one my favorite things about the game.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Well if you look at WoW, much of those weapons and armor would be completely impractical for actual use or downright impossible to work with.  Dont think its going to be a big deal.  My girlfriend took at look at some screen shots of weapons and armor sets and she imediately said it looks alot like devil may cry weapon style,  which sold pretty good over here.

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by EduardoASG

Just my opinion.. but for a mmorpg aimed for the 'western' audiences, it fails where it comes to Weapons and Armors looks.
    Too many flashy colors, nonsense armors that would hurt the guy wearing them instead of protecting.. obviously unbalanced weapons, bows that look like staffs, swords looking like unbalanced metal clubs.. come on.. with so well done pc model graphics, why did they killed the beauty of it with crappy bad taste weapons and armors art?
    Imo this is one of the things bad in aion.. the bad lore / art quality. Could have been such a nice game..
    NCsoft should have got some western artists, people who know what they doing for a western audiance taste. See most of us like a bastard sword looking like one, a good old longsword or even a decent twohander.. but we have seen them so much in museums that we actually 'know' who they should look like.. and aint the crappy looks aion got for them. Same with armors.

So wait...

Judging by your avatar and weapons mentioned in your post, you're into medieval crap.  Fair enough.  So let me see if I understand this right;

You want a game, where there is an alien race, that after a predetermined series of events, becomes a winged higher elite race, whom all live in the shattered inner remains of an exploded planet...they should all have crap that looks like it came out of the dark ages of Europe.  Where everything was foot soldiers and mounted horse combat. 

Right?  So...you think that'd make sense?

Aion doesn't take place on Earth.  Not sure if you're aware of that.  But I wouldn't be interested in it if it were just another high-fantasy game...which is what you're apparently looking for. 

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

• MyopicMooseMyopicMoose Member UncommonPosts: 14

I completely agree.  The high-heel armor boots that the female avatars wear are a good example of "stretching it to the limit".  Obviously the developers are not going for realism mind you, and im sure the avatars and armor style that is being used will appeal to a "younger" crowd, especially those that are fans of the whole pokemon/asian art style.

The game has some good features, but the ridiculous "armor", weapons and the oh so annoying squeaky korean teenage girl voices used whenever a female avatar casts a spell, swings a sword, etc arent among them.

Despite these factors, the game will probably be pretty successful, as im sure there is a strong contingent of players who will be satisfied with an mmo that is "pretty", lets them fly around, and doesnt tax the ol' gray matter overly much in the playing of it, if you know what i mean....

Just my opinion.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Aikko

2 Words, personal taste. I love it a massive spear on the back of your character. The armour i also love so different, why does it have to look historically looking. Imo the armour/weapons looks are one my favorite things about the game.

Why?because NCSOFT claimed they were taking more time to north Americanize this game .Of course i knew this was total BS,all they were doing is translating the language.

As to the art being bad?yes it is personal taste,but it is also the EXACT same art as 100% of all other Asian games,ZERO creativity.When you set out to make a so called "NEW" game,you don't repeat the entire game[L2] and just add in flying,that does not make a new game.Some are fooled by the different colour schemes used in AION,but it is still the same artwork. as L2 and Lineage.It is funny how a game can add pink water or blue leaves and people start to drool over so called artsy work,i guess if it is not the normal colours,people think it's cool,IDK how they are fooled so easily.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

It's an eastern looking game with game play that is made to appeal to western audiences. There is a difference.

And from what I've seen, most western games have rather lackluster and uninspired art design. If anything I would want to keep them away Aion.

And I'm part of the western audience and I rather like the over the top art design of eastern games. Then again, it is also a fantasy game.

but as you've stated, it's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

Me too - I guess everyone has their own tastes on whats good and bad

Im just shocked this came up... when.... in a game like WoW I could look like a freakin clown roaming through the new parts of the game and its either a) Look like a dufus or b) Look great but have crappy items

At least in Aion, you have some sort of customization

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

I like the armor and weapons in general. 

However, I am kind of disappointed by the way they re-use a lot of armor graphics and just change the colors -- at least in the lower game.  Not sure about the upper levels.  Also, I am not thrilled with the female skirts all being open in the front.  Seems kind of goofy, and reminds me of EQ2 and the ripped look, but whatever.  The metal armor rocks!

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Looks pretty good to me. More here.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• AikkoAikko Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Why?because NCSOFT claimed they were taking more time to north Americanize this game .Of course i knew this was total BS,all they were doing is translating the language.

As to the art being bad?yes it is personal taste,but it is also the EXACT same art as 100% of all other Asian games,ZERO creativity.When you set out to make a so called "NEW" game,you don't repeat the entire game[L2] and just add in flying,that does not make a new game.Some are fooled by the different colour schemes used in AION,but it is still the same artwork. as L2 and Lineage.It is funny how a game can add pink water or blue leaves and people start to drool over so called artsy work,i guess if it is not the normal colours,people think it's cool,IDK how they are fooled so easily.

Woo thats quite a statement "exact same art as 100% of all other Asain games" and completely stupidly wrong. Now show me 100% exact armour sets as the ones posted above me. Also "pink water" ? "blue leaves" you do know this topic is about armour and weapon designs right?

Looks like the haters are running out of ideas.

Exactly.... just stop replying to them. As soon as someone says "Aion will fail" as a major title theres 50 pages of people arguing why that person is borderline retarded.

Just ignore, let it drift to the back of the forums.... the report button works wonders too - that's all Im gonna start doing. Report, and carry on... tired of getting temp bans for firing back.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Armor and weapons art looks just fine to me.  End of thread.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

hehe look at the games u played its obvious u cant stick to 1 game for a while so ur opinion means sh1t really.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Cammy

Exactly.... just stop replying to them. As soon as someone says "Aion will fail" as a major title theres 50 pages of people arguing why that person is borderline retarded.

Just ignore, let it drift to the back of the forums.... the report button works wonders too - that's all Im gonna start doing. Report, and carry on... tired of getting temp bans for firing back.

Excuse me CAMMY?are you actually just trying to flame a user for discussing a topic?the report tool also has a rule for "misuse",every player that has reported me ,i have asked for a ban for misuse based on flaming rather than sticking to topic.Nobody asks you or anybody to reply,but you did and not to stick to the topic,you just replied as a cheap way to "FLAME"

You are darn right you should have been banned if you cannot control yourself in a mature fashion,learn to discuss the topics and quit looking to flame someone,it is NOT called firing back if you are DISCUSSING the topic...BIG difference here my friend.You may like to "FIRE back" as you stated ,but others do not,we just like to discuss the topics.

If you do not agree with someone ,then explain why,that is what discussion is about,just claiming to use the "REPORT " because you are obviously angry and just want to lash out at someone is not the way the rules are conducted,you don't like them then ask for them to be changed.Thanks anyhow i might bring up in the proper forum to make bans MUCH longer for misuses,i am positive this site does not want a report tool war going on here.

As to the guy talking about my use of colours the OP used the word "COLOUR" witch is why i dwelled on it,VERY little just to convey a point.

As to the weapons and armour look,yes they look exactly like other ASIAN games ,that part should be obvious,they do NOT look like WOW or FFXI or EQ2 gear there is an obvious difference.The most obvious part is the way they like to "SPIKE" everything ,curves come to that sharp point,i guess you might say it has a "Gothic" look to it,and is VERY common throughout Asian games.North American games tend have contemporary looking gear or more rounded looking gear,the exact opposite of that "Gothic" look.Nobody said this is wrong as another poster pointed out,it is all up to prference,what idid point out is i think it is wrong to continue to COPY the exact same look from the EXACT same developer,when creating a so called "NEW" game.To add to that it was NCSOFT themselves that claimed they were creating this version to be more Americanized,so i think my stake on the opinion is a fair one.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Cammy

Excuse me CAMMY?are you actually just trying to flame a user for discussing a topic?the report tool also has a rule for "misuse",every player that has reported me ,i have asked for a ban for misuse based on flaming rather than sticking to topic.Nobody asks you or anybody to reply,but you did and not to stick to the topic,you just replied as a cheap way to "FLAME"

You are darn right you should have been banned if you cannot control yourself in a mature fashion,learn to discuss the topics and quit looking to flame someone,it is NOT called firing back if you are DISCUSSING the topic...BIG difference here my friend.You may like to "FIRE back" as you stated ,but others do not,we just like to discuss the topics.

If you do not agree with someone ,then explain why,that is what discussion is about,just claiming to use the "REPORT " because you are obviously angry and just want to lash out at someone is not the way the rules are conducted,you don't like them then ask for them to be changed.Thanks anyhow i might bring up in the proper forum to make bans MUCH longer for misuses,i am positive this site does not want a report tool war going on here.

As to the guy talking about my use of colours the OP used the word "COLOUR" witch is why i dwelled on it,VERY little just to convey a point.

As to the weapons and armour look,yes they look exactly like other ASIAN games ,that part should be obvious,they do NOT look like WOW or FFXI or EQ2 gear there is an obvious difference.The most obvious part is the way they like to "SPIKE" everything ,curves come to that sharp point,i guess you might say it has a "Gothic" look to it,and is VERY common throughout Asian games.North American games tend have contemporary looking gear or more rounded looking gear,the exact opposite of that "Gothic" look.Nobody said this is wrong as another poster pointed out,it is all up to prference,what idid point out is i think it is wrong to continue to COPY the exact same look from the EXACT same developer,when creating a so called "NEW" game.To add to that it was NCSOFT themselves that claimed they were creating this version to be more Americanized,so i think my stake on the opinion is a fair one.

Oh I do... I disagree, and even write a very long, well thought out post on why I feel this way and usually the person comes back with some stupid 2 line comment about how I know nothing and Im a noob.... 

So yes, I am tired of it... and I will just report and move on. BTW, I never reported you or even quotted your post... so Im not sure why your panties are in such a bunch but anyways... just goes back to what I said originally.. No one can do any right on the MMORPG Aion forums.... biggest whine fest on the internet... 

edit: and for the record (not as if you'll care) my bans are always from retailation... it isn't about "controlling myself" but Im hardly gonna let some 15 year old punk kid start cursing and talking trash to me over a bloody monitor and keyboard... not in this lifetime. I'll take my bans gracefully and just add those people to ignore and be done with it. There is a good community here, its just burried until tons and tons of low-life individuals who have nothing better to do

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

The gear isnt supposed to look realistic and North Americanized...its a game from Korea and I personally love that it looks different the other MMOs on the market.

I think some people are trying to compare Aion to other games on the market which is plan wrong...Its a new MMO with a Korean flare...If you dont like move on to something else..its pretty simple really...LOL

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Its a double edged sword if you ask me.

You use the same, overused graphics that other games use with gear and it's cloning.

You use distinct, over the top graphics and it's "not Americanized" (or whatever other excuse you can pull out).

Not everyone will be happy regardless, so it's up to the consumer to make their choice. 

Did I add anything relevant to this thread?  Probably not.  That's up to you to decide just like the weapons and armors being of your liking.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

While I agree that the weapon and armor art is very similar to most other eastern fantasy MMOs, I personally like them which is probably one of the reasons why I play them most.  I personally don't see why everyone's bashing every game that comes out for not being "innovative" and copying "<insert currently popular MMORPG here>".  As for the coloring, supposedly you can dye your armor and make it whatever color(s) you want though I never made it far enough in game to actually come across any dyes or a dye NPC.

• BraavosiBraavosi Member Posts: 149

Its a game!

No I mean... ya cuz when I go outside with my sword and swing it, flashy colors come flying out of it !

What were they thinking thats not REAL! OMG

• twistydaveytwistydavey Member Posts: 19

To add to that it was NCSOFT themselves that claimed they were creating this version to be more Americanized,so i think my stake on the opinion is a fair one.

if I remember right. NCSOFT said it was being made for the western market!

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Yes, because we all seek uninspired armor that looks like I could order on a real life armor shop.

Or wait, the fantasy genre is not limited to historical armor designs?

I guess you wouldn't play a superhero MMO as they are the western cultural equivalent for animes IMO, "look at those ridiculous clothes".

It's their art choice for Aion, enjoy it or not, it's pretty simple.

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293

I lol @ people who are asking Americanized armours and weapons while they are thinking medieval European ones.

On topic:

1) Armours & Weapons in AION look great.

2) Its an ASIAN mmo so it offers ASIAN artistic style. Westernisation comes with different controls and in game mechanics than the typical Asian mmos.

3) I just did it, but Don't feed the trolls.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I've never been a huge fan of the whole "having a weapon bigger than my toon Final Fantasy concept" like my toon has to compensate for having a small penis but in this game the armor/weapons does seem to fit the world they created.  It certainly isn't a dealbreaker for me. 

Truthfully, I would rather have the armor sets than some of the mobs you have to fight.  Some are rather neat in design, but I could have done without fighting rabid Winnie the Poohs or overweight munchkins.  I still enjoyed the game and I suppose those types of mobs fit within the style as well but man...seemed so cheesey.  I will give them credit for trying to be creative though and some of the other mobs you encounter do look rather cool.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Elesthor

I lol @ people who are asking Americanized armours and weapons while they are thinking medieval European ones.

Exactly

It is strange when someone expect to see ancient and medieval weaponry and armory in a game about an alien winged devine race in a unique universe, but when someone ask for "americanized" armory thinking about european armory, well...

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

your first mistake is assuming that this game is "aimed at a western audience".

Your second mistake was in thinking that your opinion was worth sharing.

is that a bit harsh?