Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes Aion so great?

13»

Comments

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by p0ps

Originally posted by CruelHand

Originally posted by Xasapis

The game has faction based PvP, so you can't attack your own side, no. At least, not outside the Arena.

how carebear lol

Sadly i agree, I want a NEW MMO with wideopen pvp.

Darkfall forums

That way ============>

:)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

The game has faction based PvP, so you can't attack your own side, no. At least, not outside the Arena.

how carebear lol

Sadly i agree, I want a NEW MMO with wideopen pvp.

Mortal Online?

Otherwise, full on ffa pvp games are a bit of a niche product. Until players start supporting the existing ones or those that come out I can't see devs saying "hey, let's make a full on ffa pvp game with looting. I'm sure we will get millions for development".

Especially with how expensive it seems that these games are to develop.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

Truth be told, Aion's Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. Plain and simple.

I LOL'ed at this. My coworkers are looking at me now...

• LashayLashay Member Posts: 104

Nothing, because it's not "great" and those who think it is are  the type that think anything new is great/wonderful/leet/amazing

Aion's just a good, solid working MMO that is in a condition to actually be sold to the public from the get go, unlike many many games in the last few years (AoC/War/Darkfall to name just a few).

Other than that, it offers nothing really new, bar a few gimmicks, it just a cross between WoW and Linage

But then again, what many forget, WoW did not offer much new either when it first came out, it was just basiclly EQ with a few things from other games like Daoc/UO/SWG, but unlike many other games at the time what WoW did it did well, just like Aion does now

I would say if you are happy with your current mmo, stay there you will not be missing that much but on the other hand, if you need a break then it's worth giving Aion a spin. It probably will not keep you playing for years and years but you will get a good run out of it

I need a new MMO world to call home as Tom Chilton keeps destroying them

• p0psp0ps Member Posts: 19

Wide open pvp is ALOT of fun, PvE is a grind fest & boring as all hell to be honest. Wide open pvp makes you keep on your toes while you're out and about questing. Nothing wrong with a little ganking :) .  Back to EQ2 for me i guess, at least for now.

• whackedgsgwwhackedgsgw Member Posts: 25

So to summarise . . . The game Isn't "great" per se, but is very balanced, stable and still a "good" game?

• LashayLashay Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by whackedgsgw

So to summarise . . . The game Isn't "great" per se, but is very balanced, stable and still a "good" game?

Yep, that's about it

I need a new MMO world to call home as Tom Chilton keeps destroying them

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Lashay

Nothing, because it's not "great" and those who think it is are  the type that think anything new is great/wonderful/leet/amazing

wow, that's pretty arrogant.

I like orange/mango juice. I think it's pretty great. It's nothing new and has been around for quite some time but I still think it's great.

I'm a reasonably educated and intelligent fella, I think I can make up my own mind about what is great or not without having to fit myself into someone else's view of the world.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Lashay

Aion's just a good, solid working MMO that is in a condition to actually be sold to the public from the get go, unlike many many games in the last few years (AoC/War/Darkfall to name just a few).
    Other than that, it offers nothing really new, bar a few gimmicks, it just a cross between WoW and Linage
    But then again, what many forget, WoW did not offer much new either when it first came out, it was just basiclly EQ with a few things from other games like Daoc/UO/SWG, but unlike many other games at the time what WoW did it did well, just like Aion does now
    I would say if you are happy with your current mmo, stay there you will not be missing that much but on the other hand, if you need a break then it's worth giving Aion a spin. It probably will not keep you playing for years and years but you will get a good run out of it

I don't disagree with what your saying at all.... but I think Aion is even better than a "good" MMO. Obviously terms like "good" and "great" are subjective and open to opinion.... In my opinion, Aion is a great game - not because it does anything revolutionary but because it is exactly what you said. A new/fresh game that has very few bugs, balance issues or major problems at launch. The game "feels" way better than anything I've played lately.... I found I was very involved with the PVE content, even at a very low level. I always had the feeling of "ahh just another level or quest" - which is something I haven't had in quite some time.  I really enjoyed myself with it - revolutionary or not...

You're right in everything else you say though.... 

• CruelHandCruelHand Member Posts: 8

nothing... the game is already dated

nothing... the game is already dated

With so much proof and fact to your argument... Im surprised anyone is playing Aion

• brahmabull75brahmabull75 Member Posts: 25

Wide open pvp is ALOT of fun, PvE is a grind fest & boring as all hell to be honest. Wide open pvp makes you keep on your toes while you're out and about questing. Nothing wrong with a little ganking :) .  Back to EQ2 for me i guess, at least for now.

Ganking is for tards who can't compete with players their own level 

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Why would you want to attack you own side?  Were that the case, why not be on the "other" side?

• FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

"Hey man, you read that book, Dune, by Frank Herbert, right?"

"Yeah, dude, that book was so tight."

"I know, it's one of my favorites. Hey, I got a bunch of other sci-fi books if you ever want to borrow one of them sometime."

"Why would I do that? What's so great about them?"

"Uh... what?"

"Well, Dune got everything right, the story was great, the characters were great, the writing was great. Why ever read another book? I think I'll just read Dune again."

"Ok."

---

"Oh, dude, I didn't know you were a Korn fan. They are so awesome!"

"I know, man, Korn kicks ass! They are the best."

"So true, so true, but have you ever listened to Slipknot? They're a lot like Korn but..."

"What's so great about Slipknot?"

"I mean, they're music is a lot like Korn's and they wear jumpsuits and masks and..."

"So what? Korn got it so right. I don't ever have to listen to anything else, man. All I need is Korn."

---

"Hey, I heard you like the Mission Impossible movies, man!"

"Hell, yeah, I love them man!"

"Have you ever checked out the Bourne movies, dude? Since you like the MI movies, you might like the Bourne movies, too."

"Why? What's so great about them?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean what's so great about them? What makes them better than the MI movies? Because if they're not better than the MI movies, why should I bother watching them? I'll just watch all the MI movies again, instead."

"Cool."

---

It doesn't make sense with other media. So why does it make sense to some with MMOs?

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall
    Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149

Honestly I don't know, to me Aion seems nothing more than a carbon copy of world of warcraft, but with a added korean mmorpg grind built in. I expect a mmorpg to at least have 1 new thing in it, but sadly aion has none, everything in it has been done years ago. The gameplay "feels" like your average korean grind mmo as well which was a major turn off right off the bat. All I can say is other than Aion being eye candy it really doesn't deserve even 15% of the hype it has gotten. Also before you say it, I hate WoW, and I haven't played it in years. I didn't like it back then I still won't like it now. I'm thinking of opening my Anarchy Online acct.. its better than pretty much any mmo out atm in terms of things you can do in it. Sure it doesn't have eye candy but it has it where it counts with gameplay.

Originally posted by Scyris

Honestly I don't know, to me Aion seems nothing more than a carbon copy of world of warcraft, but with a added korean mmorpg grind built in. I expect a mmorpg to at least have 1 new thing in it, but sadly aion has none, everything in it has been done years ago. The gameplay "feels" like your average korean grind mmo as well which was a major turn off right off the bat. All I can say is other than Aion being eye candy it really doesn't deserve even 15% of the hype it has gotten. Also before you say it, I hate WoW, and I haven't played it in years. I didn't like it back then I still won't like it now. I'm thinking of opening my Anarchy Online acct.. its better than pretty much any mmo out atm in terms of things you can do in it. Sure it doesn't have eye candy but it has it where it counts with gameplay.

May I ask what level you got to when you played? Aion is nothing like WoW.... /shrug 

Not trying to flame or anything, that's a serious question :) Im just curious if you gave it a fair chance, the real meat of the game isn't until level 25+

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522

You know what's funny?  Every MMO I've played...has reminded me of every other MMO I've played.  Except maybe EVE.  But essentially, it's all the same recycled shit.  If anything, Aion reminded me of Everquest, or a non-instanced Guild Wars, but certainly not WoW.  Probably because I've never, not once, not one single time, looked at anything in WoW and thought it was original. 

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by FolbyOrb

It doesn't make sense with other media. So why does it make sense to some with MMOs?

So true, and  I don't understand why this is so hard for others to grasp.

What makes it better than WoW? Nothing in particular, it's just different. Same setup, different story, slightly different mechanics, different feel. If you're tired of playing the same ol' crap, then Aion is a new and well made game to try.

Games don't have to be revolutionary to be entertaining. If they did, sequels wouldn't exist.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Like the poster above me said, the meat of the game begins past level 25 once PvPvE is introduced.  In fact, the way they are implementing PvP and PvE together is more like Anarchy Online then anything else.  Remember having 10 guys try to down that one boss at the bottom of that castle, while the rest of the guild defended against opposing attackers? Sorry I can't remember the area that was called, but  Aion plays the exact same way.

Sure flying combat may not be revolutionary to you, but it is something new and it sucks having a glad fly over an attacking legion and rape face on the mage in the back lol!

Also, they take the best from every other MMO to date and enhance it.  Can't go wrong with that.  Don't judge this game by its cover alone friend, there is much more to it than meets the eye. 

P.S.  The game has been released in Korea now for 8 months and has has 3 major content updates.  The latest 1.5 added TWELVE instances ranging from level 25-50.  So expect a huge content addition about every 3 months, and that makes the subscription worth it.  No other game has put out content this fast other than WoW the last time I checked.

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

It's hard to make a great arguement that a game is better than a game that owns 45% of the MMORPG subscribers in the world (WoW) when the game is still in beta. Aion in my opinion is following the same reasons why WoW is a success. People want a finished product when they play a game, not a half buggy beta forced to launch due to financials.

You are comparing the most successful MMO in history with 5+ years of patches and 2 expansions to a game not even a year old in it's home country. Aion just runs everything beautifully and the only flaws with it is gameguard and a few things ingame they will end up tweaking eventually. Every game will get negative feedback, it's the nature of the business, a game can't be for everyone. The point is Aion does everything right that it's trying to get right. None of their systems are broken and not working as intended. People are having fun with the rift system, people are pvping and leveling in the abyss, people are sieging fortresses and people are getting attacked by the Balaur.

Aion has added so much content from 1.0 to 1.5 I'm really looking forward to the amount of content added in the first expansion.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I think it's really sad to see that so many people are listing Aion as "actually being ready for the public" as a main driving force behind it's popularity. Not sad for Aion, but sad for the rest of the genre and the other developers inability to release a finished game.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I think it's really sad to see that so many people are listing Aion as "actually being ready for the public" as a main driving force behind it's popularity. Not sad for Aion, but sad for the rest of the genre and the other developers inability to release a finished game.

You do realize we are talking about a game that has been live in Asia for months.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Lol I hear ya man, but its so true!  For the last, what 3 years, every AAA MMO title to be released has NOT been ready.  It still had game breaking bugs or unfinished/promised content.  At least with Aion, you KNOW what you pay for.  My other main force for having hopes for this game in the future is the fact that they produce new content as fast as an unemployed chinese man farms gold in WoW!  (terrible example...im going to rot in hell for that one...)

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914
    Originally posted by FolbyOrb

It doesn't even make sense with any other video game genres.

Saints Row is just a clone of GTA.

Soul Calibur is just a clone of Tekken.

Dark Messiah is just a clone of Oblivion.

Call of Duty, Halo, Quake, Half-Life are all just clones of Doom.

Forza, Need for Speed, PGR, GT are all clones of Ridge Racer.

It's called a genre.... MMORPG being another one.  Of course they're going to be similar, they're in the same genre.  If a game was completely different than other MMORPGs it wouldn't be called an MMORPG.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Hrothmund

You do realize we are talking about a game that has been live in Asia for months.

I think it has more to do with what is considered an acceptable quality at release (and beyond). The days where the gamers tolerated semi-broken core games is over, yet there are still developers who run out of money before their core game is intact.