Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patcher down?

poythrespoythres Member Posts: 68

I went from being able to download a few kb/s between freezes to the patcher just not responding at all when I try to login. Has it bitten the dust completely or are people still downloading?

Comments

• poythrespoythres Member Posts: 68

And its back...

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

It seems to be going up and down constantly for me.. Works for a few minutes then hangs. 

Hmm this is starting to be the worst open beta I've ever done and I'm not even in the game yet :P

---
    Ethion

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

It better for them to have the problems now then at launch... but still this is pretty bad.

It seem the launcher will download when it can if you leave it alone.

As long as the dots next to "Patching" are moving you should be good, just leave it alone.

• rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 23

Nope, for now the game is Champions OFFline. 

The devs released a work around...which deletes your main files.  The fix to the work around that others posted seems to work for some ppl and not others. 

For me it took 4 hours to download (10 meg connection) 21 megs.  And now the patcher always times out to a (null) error. 

So if you were lucky enough to get in grats...the rest of us will look on in jealously...and add this to our consideration when we decided to pay for this game or not. 

(null) has encountered and unexpected crash...4 hours and counting...

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Yep the patcher is down for me as well... it crashed at 20% then came back up for a little bit forcing me to start over again but now it stalled at .7%

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by rerednaw

Nope, for now the game is Champions OFFline. 
    The devs released a work around...which deletes your main files.  The fix to the work around that others posted seems to work for some ppl and not others. 
    For me it took 4 hours to download (10 meg connection) 21 megs.  And now the patcher always times out to a (null) error. 
    So if you were lucky enough to get in grats...the rest of us will look on in jealously...and add this to our consideration when we decided to pay for this game or not. 
    (null) has encountered and unexpected crash...4 hours and counting...

Actually, those of us that were in aren't all in anymore.  I actually logged off for a  bit and went to log back in at about 3pm EST and have been unable to do so -- other CBers are having the same issue.  Whatever cryptic did to help out you guys kinda pooched us too / ' :

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

it went really bad when someone on the forums had to post a Workaround to Cryptics own failure of a workaround, to cut down the 3.6 gig to a managable 900 odd meg. (they told you to move files into the wrong bloody folder)

although now cryptic have taken off their website for "maintenance" cough cough...

the patcher stalls at almost every 1%.

epic failure. but funny nonetheless

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

The amount of new posts on their boards complaining is just obnoxious.  I could never handle being a moderator....I'd start shutting threads and temp banning people for 24 hours.  "Yes, we know there is a problem and we're working on it.  A shame you took a  vacation day off of work not to play a game in beta...."

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by therain93

The amount of new posts on their boards complaining is just obnoxious. 

If nobody complained they'd never know that anything was wrong...

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

The amount of new posts on their boards complaining is just obnoxious.  I could never handle being a moderator....I'd start shutting threads and temp banning people for 24 hours.  "Yes, we know there is a problem and we're working on it.  A shame you took a  vacation day off of work not to play a game in beta...."

Complaining about complaining is stil complaining.

I don't quite understand why I was only able to install and patch the day OB started. Seems like a bad move, which it's turning out to be.

Originally posted by greed0104

Actually, I wasn't complaining so much as sharing how I wouldn't be able to handle that kind of behavior if I were in the same position. You can still have a cookie for trying to be clever though!

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

This is turning into an EPIC FAIL.

I understand it's only beta, but we can't even beta test the game when we can't get past the launcher. Furthermore if there is this big of problem, how on earth will it be ready in two weeks?

I'm afraid, justified or not, a lot of people will now avoid this game and that's a problem, because they are going to need player in order to keep it afloat. And everyone that is having trouble is going to post it on forums like this discouraging others from giving it a chance.

I'm still going to keep trying, but this is a very bad start. I've beta tested other games and never had this big of a problem.

Originally posted by korat102

The amount of new posts on their boards complaining is just obnoxious. 

If nobody complained they'd never know that anything was wrong...

But the sheer number of new threads destroys any other conversation.  It really could be consolidated into a single "we hate you cryptic, we're missing free play time because of your ineptitude" thread.

Originally posted by greed0104

Actually, I wasn't complaining so much as sharing how I wouldn't be able to handle that kind of behavior if I were in the same position. You can still have a cookie for trying to be clever though!

Ah ok, well then you shouldn't mind people sharing the problems they are having with the patcher.

• MistmouseMistmouse Member Posts: 91

they posted a fix, but it hasnt worked very well for most of us who tried it, and there website keeps going down as well.

Originally posted by natuxatu

This is turning into an EPIC FAIL.
    I understand it's only beta, but we can't even beta test the game when we can't get past the launcher. Furthermore if there is this big of problem, how on earth will it be ready in two weeks?
    I'm afraid, justified or not, a lot of people will now avoid this game and that's a problem, because they are going to need player in order to keep it afloat. And everyone that is having trouble is going to post it on forums like this discouraging others from giving it a chance.
    I'm still going to keep trying, but this is a very bad start. I've beta tested other games and never had this big of a problem.

You're better off waiting a few hours before trying again.  As the logins are staggered, it will get better (when a fix actually comes along).

• poythrespoythres Member Posts: 68

I've beta-tested MMOs and some of them have had truly horrible first days... WoW among them (well, actually WoW beta was quite nice, but launch day was a nightmare).

In recent history though, they've been getting smarter/better about open beta and release day, so I'm surprised to see such severe problems. Not sure why they wouldn't just quickly drop the patch into a torrent and release it to the masses - even people who don't use/understand torrents would benefit from the masses of people dropping off the server to get the torrent.

Originally posted by poythres

I've beta-tested MMOs and some of them have had truly horrible first days... WoW among them (well, actually WoW beta was quite nice, but launch day was a nightmare).
    In recent history though, they've been getting smarter/better about open beta and release day, so I'm surprised to see such severe problems. Not sure why they wouldn't just quickly drop the patch into a torrent and release it to the masses - even people who don't use/understand torrents would benefit from the masses of people dropping off the server to get the torrent.

I agree another method of downloading should have been added to the site. Torrent or uploading the patch on multiple sites and supplying mirrors would have helped a ton.

The thing is, I'd be surprised if their client didn't already have built-in torrent capabilities, much like WoW.  The slow downloads people were having with File Planet were not an issue when getting the client directly from cryptic prior to the OB.  The speeds were quite ridiculously fast actually.

• SineathSineath Member Posts: 224

And don't forget today's patch.  Talk about TRULY obnoxious.

The thing is, I'd be surprised if their client didn't already have built-in torrent capabilities, much like WoW.  The slow downloads people were having with File Planet were not an issue when getting the client directly from cryptic prior to the OB.  The speeds were quite ridiculously fast actually.

I don't think they do,  we would still have the ability to grab the patch from everybody else with the finished download. And most of the time when it comes to torrenting a patch, there are ports that need to be opened.

• iamct2327iamct2327 Member Posts: 162

Ah this is too funny, I was expecting this. Blizz are popping some bubbly and laughinh their asses off. What an embarrasment, when I seen Atari was the publisher for this game I knew something was amiss.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Well now it's all down, launcher AND website. No idea whats going on. I really had hoped they would at least keep us advised about what they are doing to fix this. I had 2 vacation days, today and tomorrow, and was really looking forward to spending them in CO. I am very unhappy right now.

• noceqnoceq Member Posts: 4

It's up again

• antiherozeroantiherozero Member UncommonPosts: 76

Artari published this?  Ah, s***balls.  I am so not going to even touch this game until several months after release now.  I am so glad I was wise enough to purchase an in-store preorder from Gamestop, which I have no obligation to go pick up and pay for.

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."

-Matt Groening