Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA is over, here is my two cents ( not very good )

Comments

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Phyluxia

Originally posted by Varny

This is how all mmorpgs have gone lately.

Before release people bash them and the fanbois come out defending the game. Once released the game gets shit on and everyone hates it and the fanbois are chased away.

How bout actually reading the thread instead of assuming that everything exists in black and white. Yes, his OP is getting bashed, but it's not just "fanbois" coming to defend the game. It's people like me, who havent touched the game, asking the OP quite simply for firm details as to what he doesn't like. If you want to be a reviewer of the game, at least be responsible enough to post good details about what you didnt like so that people like me can go in with some things in mind to test and give feedback on.

I dont care if you wrote it on your coffee break or english isnt your first language. If you're going to write a review, its content should reflect something worthy of being labeled as such and you better be ready to back it up/discuss it when people have different opinions.

He didn't label it as a review so maybe you should check your facts before attacking the guy. He labeled it his two cents and that's exactly what he gave.

I don't care if it's fans or not attacking the guy none of it is necessary, the guy put his opinions down without attacking anyone. Then people both fans and not fans came and started attacking him for it, it's not surprsingly he finally fired back angrily on the forums. The true trend of this site lately is to attack others just because they don't have the same opinions as you, even if they attacked no one when they gave theirs. We have people attacking him on his writing when English isn't his first language. We have others quoting silly typos and trying to act like the guy is an idiot for hitting th 'p' key twice in a row. One even tried to say opinions can be wrong when by the definition of the word they can not be. It's just been a giant attack on the guy simply because he doesn't like CO, if I were him my anger post probably would of been much worse then just calling all the attackers fanboys.

The forum's population seems to have a large amount of jerks who do nothing but nitpick on others because that person disagrees. People are entitled to their opinions and can represent them how they want. This guy didn't claim to write a detailed review and yet you criticize him for not doing so. Get off the guy's back.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

<Deleted>

Just as Veritas said, that's exactly our point. We prove you wrong and then you say "Oh I was being vague anyways", that's why we proved you wrong!  What's worse is then you come in and try to talk down to us because we're not "graphics designers" lol.

Millenium City: Actually I thought the texturing was pretty good. Or maybe mister big shot graphics designer doesn't know what "style" means. (what games have you worked on by the way? Clearly you must be the graphics designer on some visually beautiful game that we've all heard of, right? ) You say the texturing is sub par, but again you're being vague which means you're not actually saying anything. Are they poorly placed? Bad resolutions? Can you see the border lines? Are you talking about the visual aesthetic of the actual terrain? If you're going to talk shit, atleast be specific. Otherwise you just look like a tool.

Costume Choices: Oh sure, CoH has been out 2 years and had 2 extra years to put stuff in, but apparently that's not good enough for you event hough everyone else is raving about how many options CO has.

Respec: Congrats, you found a bug in an MMO. Welcome to the MMO genre. I'm also pretty sure if this bug isn't already fixed, then it will be by launch. Is this your first MMO?

Blurry Graphic: How do you mean blurry? Distance blur? Light bloom making it fuzzy? Perhaps you just have an old monitor or dirty glasses? Be specific.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• PhyluxiaPhyluxia Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

He didn't label it as a review so maybe you should check your facts before attacking the guy. He labeled it his two cents and that's exactly what he gave.

I don't care if it's fans or not attacking the guy none of it is necessary, the guy put his opinions down without attacking anyone. Then people both fans and not fans came and started attacking him for it, it's not surprsingly he finally fired back angrily on the forums. The true trend of this site lately is to attack others just because they don't have the same opinions as you, even if they attacked no one when they gave theirs. We have people attacking him on his writing when English isn't his first language. We have others quoting silly typos and trying to act like the guy is an idiot for hitting th 'p' key twice in a row. One even tried to say opinions can be wrong when by the definition of the word they can not be. It's just been a giant attack on the guy simply because he doesn't like CO, if I were him my anger post probably would of been much worse then just calling all the attackers fanboys.

The forum's population seems to have a large amount of jerks who do nothing but nitpick on others because that person disagrees. People are entitled to their opinions and can represent them how they want. This guy didn't claim to write a detailed review and yet you criticize him for not doing so. Get off the guy's back.

Actually, the first paragraph implies that it is a "non-sugar coated review"

"If you want a review that sugarcoats the truth. Or talks about the game from point of fanboy in love. Please skip this."

And as i said before, if you're going to write a review (or even just your opinions... it's really the same thing), expect criticism. If you can't take it and your next response is going to be lashing out at everyone calling them "fanboys", then do not write reviews. Publically airing your opinions about a game that many people haven't played is a touchy subject in itself, so you need to be thorough in your details. Realize that people are going to judge this game based on open beta and by community sentiment. Word of mouth marketing is huge with MMOs these days, so to publically come out with a review that completely lacks substance is irresponsible, IMHO.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Actually, the first paragraph implies that it is a "non-sugar coated review"
    "If you want a review that sugarcoats the truth. Or talks about the game from point of fanboy in love. Please skip this."
    And as i said before, if you're going to write a review, expect criticism. If you can't take it and your next response is going to be lashing out at everyone calling them "fanboys", then do not write reviews. Publically airing your opinions about a game that many people haven't played is a touchy subject in itself, so you need to be thorough in your details. Realize that people are going to judge this game based on open beta and by community sentiment. Word of mouth marketing is huge with MMOs these days, so to publically come out with a review that completely lacks substance is irresponsible, IMHO.

No it doesn't necessarily imply that. I could say "If you want a chocolate chip cookie this is not it" and then give you a rock. The only thing it says for sure is that it is not a review that sugarcoats the truth. The only irresponsible thing would be to base your decision on whether or not to buy the game on what you felt was an inadequate review. I could go post a thousand threads that say CO sucks because it sucks, it doesn't make me irresponsible. This is a forum for voicing anyone's opinions freely this is not a review posted on the top part of the page by staff or printed in a magazine, so once again get off the guy's back since clearly you have an axe to grind for no reason.

• PhyluxiaPhyluxia Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf 
    No it doesn't necessarily imply that. I could say "If you want a chocolate chip cookie this is not it" and then give you a rock. The only thing it says for sure is that it is not a review that sugarcoats the truth. The only irresponsible thing would be to base your decision on whether or not to buy the game on what you felt was an inadequate review. I could go post a thousand threads that say CO sucks because it sucks, it doesn't make me irresponsible. This is a forum for voicing anyone's opinions freely this is not a review posted on the top part of the page by staff or printed in a magazine, so once again get off the guy's back since clearly you have an axe to grind for no reason.

I'm not going to derail this thread with you anymore, so this will be my last response to you:

How are you defending the fact that he's allowed an opinion without people jumping down his throat, yet you're telling me that i'm not allowed to have an opinion about his opinion/review and jumping down my throat? I have no axe to grind aside from the fact that i'm trying to amass as much info about the game as i can and this review is so vague that it should be taken down, or expanded upon (and perhaps the fact his response to the request for more information was calling me a "North American Hick").

You're right, though... people are free to have an opinion. However, when publically expressing said opinions, you are FREELY opening yourself up to the scrutinty of the rest of the public. For you to deny us that right, but allow it of it him is simply hypocritical. How bout you get off MY back?

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

God... posting anything on this forum has become an excercise in futility.

btw - I said I am not american Hick. (not you) Cause people on this forums assume : bad spelling = american illiterate

As for the game. Go on and buy life subscription. Actually go on and buy life subscription for for whole family. What do I care.

Actually I insist. Go on BUY IT 

You can take my oppinion , or not. Thats the bottom line.

I give it for free.

Learning by mistake costs 65$

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    i'm trying to amass as much info about the game as i can and this review is so vague that it should be taken down,

Get serious. Taken down? It's a forum post, not a paid review. You don't get to exert editorial powers on other people's posts. Read 'em or ignore 'em. Those are your options.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

He does say it is his 2 cents.  so.... 

Now, if he had said $1.50 I would have to tear into him!  ;)

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• ArchtypeArchtype Member Posts: 16

The OP made a post voicing his opinion on an MMO who just dropped their NDA. His expressed his opinion on the game and what he thought.

The twits and idiots came out of the wood work bashing his opinion and his spelling ability.

/salute all of you ignorant minded twits. You fail at life.

Yes.. I really am a new poster so get over it.

Originally posted by Archtype

You misspelled archetype.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

I'm sure alot of us who know what Cryptic has produced prior to CO have come to realise that it was going to be CoX Mk II.

Looking over the features list and the details of the game lead me to believe this game wasn't going to be vastly different from CoX, but it was going to improve on it which is what is what I was certainly after.

Now after playing the beta I realise that Cryptci has given me the upgraded version of Cox that I wanted, I enjoyed my time in CoX but wanted something else from the game that it was lacking and CO has been able to provide that so far.

I haven't seen any innovative or completely new MMO's come out for at least 5 yrs now, doubt I'l see one for another 5 yrs either, but for the moment this game is providing me with some fun, nothing more nothing less.

Originally posted by qbangy32

Now after playing the beta I realise that Cryptci has given me the upgraded version of Cox that I wanted, I enjoyed my time in CoX but wanted something else from the game that it was lacking and CO has been able to provide that so far.

Which is...?

Actually I spell it my way. I understand it's spelled and pronounced arch ah type... I understand it means the original model or what the new is based off of ... yes yes spare me kiddie................... I spell it my way...... and to me.. that's the only way :) QFT now :)

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Actually I spell it my way. I understand it's spelled and pronounced arch ah type... I understand it means the original model or what the new is based off of ... yes yes spare me kiddie................... I spell it my way...... and to me.. that's the only way :) QFT now :)

QFT means "quoted for truth"

what does it mean in your language, considering you've decided to rewrite the english language specifically for yourself?

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

Quit f***** trying

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Just want to point out that the idea of beta testing doesn't necessarily mean you're testing the client they plan to release once they fix it up. 

Often devs want to test specific game dynamics so they release a beta client with many things stripped down or disabled.  This is specially true of graphics. beta testers of AoC (did they EVER lift the NDA on that?) will tell you a few days before launch they released a patch that graphically changed the game quite a bit and it was clear the beta testers hadn't been working with the real deal up to that point.

Bottomline: I'll read all the reviews but I'll wait til game is 6 mos old and has a free trial before I decide for myself.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by qbangy32

Which is...?

FUN Factor. CoX just hasn't got it anymore for this ex-player, and so naturally I have sought and found the sequel to give me a new quick fix until another more innovative and fun Hero game comes to the market.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I actually enjoy the game immensely.

I am sure you have all heard about the currently shortcomings and bugs so no need to go there.

A few things the OP mentions that are against the game is purely his opinion, they are not technical issues. Outlines...I agree, these are HORRIBLE. The second you get in game turn them off. The game is amazing after that. The option is there for a reason. I see no need to get all upset because you have to click a button a couple of times to turn it off. Too much whine in some peoples reviews.

The tutorial: Honestly this doesn't grab your attention as it should to begin with. If you read all the information you certainly will start getting the hang of the game however. The only time the tutorial really grabs your attention is when you reach the public quest near the end. The booming voice over is great and really draws you in. I wish you logged in with some voice over to get the blood moving better. The first part of the desert crisis isn't that bad though and you run right into the tailor and powerhouse (your one and true friend in this game!) and really start feeling like you are in the game.

If you rig runs it smooth you will enjoy this game much more. Sadly the game isn't scaling well currently to lower end systems. Might get better though optimization...who knows. I just upgraded to a GTX 275 OC (e8400, 4 GB DDR2 9600 for a big bench to compare....optimized bargen pc I built) and the game is pure sex with it. My old ATI 4850 chugged a little but was not too bad.

Powers and your character: The system is deep. Most will not get a full understanding of it for quite awhile. Comparing it to CoX simply because of visual similarities with the character creator and a few other concepts is ridiculous. The freedom to create what you want is incredible. The current limiting factor is due to bugs with some powers and balancing issues for both powers and roles in pvp and pve. They have swung rather harshly each way when finding the sweet spot between solo and group friendly content.

These are factors that can trouble some but I look at the core game and what it can become over the next serveral months (I have the patience to look past the launch date). At it's core I see a fun game. I also see fixes for most of it's shortcomings. When I can't see fixes it bothers me and luckily I not seen much of that in my time in beta.

You stay sassy!

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469

Here is my two cents.

GAME IS GOOD get over it. 

• CruelHandCruelHand Member Posts: 8

cry more

the game is a ton of fun to play

• CereoCereo Member Posts: 551

The OP made a post voicing his opinion on an MMO who just dropped their NDA. His expressed his opinion on the game and what he thought.

The twits and idiots came out of the wood work bashing his opinion and his spelling ability.

/salute all of you ignorant minded twits. You fail at life.

You won't be a long time poster with your current posting abilities. Refrain from called everyone ignorant minded twits that fail at life because they ask the OP if he can speak more clearly and with some substance, otherwise you'll be removed from this forums in no time.

• boobaloboobalo Member Posts: 49

no he wont, thats pretty much par for the course here.  get over it, and yourself wanna be mod

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

The OP has every right to hate the game. I don't care if he does. He's allowed to say he thinks it's bad. Where I have a problem is when he starts saying things about the game which are vague or untrue.

If you want to say the game is bad, fine. I disagree but that's life. If you want to point out flaws in the game, that's fine too. When you point out things that are supposedly wrong with the game, but they're vague and inaccurate, then you're just being a troll.

I'm just trying to make sure he's at least accurate about his claims. (Which he then would call me a fanboy for doing, lol).

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

There will be more of this I'm sure. So many people like the first version of a game they can't see past it when the evolution of the game is created.

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

I spent a lot of time in closed beta and though I started off liking the game I grew bored of it pretty quickly. It's fun for a while but it lacks depth. I don't feel that any of the quests go very far towards making you care about the world or your character, nor do I feel that most of the things you have to do are 'Super Heroic' in any way.

It's a very hack and slash kind of game with laser blasts and fire balls rather than swords. Though you can have swords or super strength if you want, but melee is at a very distinct disadvantage against ranged in PvP, but PvP is so much of a side step from the normal game that many people won't even care.

There's no roll to hit style mechanic. Anything that you see that's in your range will be hit every time you use your power and the same goes for them hitting you. I'm not a fan of this as it takes another step away from PnP style gaming and tries to be an arcade game, but since you can't dodge incoming attacks I feel it fails at even doing that well.

The graphics are okay if you like plastic action figures, and the customization is pretty good. The music is blah. The voice overs are cheesy and sometimes repetitive. (*We've got to shut down all of these beacons!*)

In all I find the game to be a step in a different direction than many MMOs, I just personally don't feel it's the right direction.