Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes Aion so great?

Comments

• highblurhighblur Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by tryklon

Originally posted by highblur

Originally posted by Aikko

Loads of customization
    Lets face it not many players  wants to look the same, Aion has a great character creation setup. Also loads of different armour and rewards throughout the game. If that wasn't enough theres craftable gear and also dyes so even if someone got the same chest piece as you you can change the colour. Theres also vendors that can change the design of your gear at a price a believe (correct me if am wrong). And ofc socketing. Another thing that was lacking alot in guild wars which killed it for me.

Response:

People say there's load of customization all the time, but it seems that people don't really know what that means...  just because one can change eye colors, skin colors, facial bone structure and girth doesn't mean shist to me.  You are all the same meso/ecto/endomorph body-types.  There are no unique silhouettes.  If you want to know what unique looks like - take all of the characters and just look at their silhouette (outline).  Minus the hair/armor styles, you all have the same bodies (minus girth/width).  That is NOT unique in my opinion.  Unique/high customizability comes with different races, small, large, animal-like, pan-dimensional etc.  For example, Everquest (trolls, ogres, humans, gnomes, dwarves etc) or Warcraft (Draenei, orc, gnome/goblin, worgen, tauren, etc), FFXI (Taru taru, the big guys, humes etc), Vanguard, Warhammer, City of Heroes, etc (almost every game but this one).   If you just took their silhouettes you would see vast differences between characters in any one of the previously mentioned games.  Aion fails at silhouette diversity..

In my opinion, Aion characters might have a lot superficial customization, but no real unique options to make you stand apart from another (minus armor customization).  Discuss.

I do agree that the body types in this game, although can be very customized, keep sharing the same feeling. But one must see that the game presents us 2 races, not 5 or 6, two, this is Aion. And inside this 2 races you can customize you avatar in the way you want and never find anyone the same as you.

I agree that being able to look different than another of the two races is great ~ but that is being highly overexaggerated as if you will all look different (from the neck-down too) which is far from the truth.  To me, this isn't that ground-breaking.  EQ2 and a slew of others prior to this game had the whole bone-structure thing down (and for tons of other races to boot).  They should stop proporting this as a key-feature or something that is amazing... in my opinion, it's expected.  Just pointing this out, so that no one is dissapointed, come release.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

It's a good game, kind of reminds me of when WoW was first starting. It's solid, polished, ACTUALLY works as intended. There's a lot of hype, but also a lot of doubt circling the game from the western market.

The thing is, which other's have said, is there isn't a lot distinctly 'new' or 'unique' about this game. It's certainly good, but for those looking for that new 'nostalgia' or game that completely changes the industry, aion was never meant to be this. It's simply a solid, enjoyable game which attempts to deliver on what we've already said we like. It so far seems to do that fairly well. The thing to concider, though, is whether or not you have 'let go' enough of your old MMOs to be able to enjoy a new one. A lot of people are doing this increasingly more often. They look to a new MMO to be like one from the past; only newer, prettier, and 'unique'.

No MMO is going to be able to deliver that. It'll be a lot easier to enjoy the new ones if you stop trying to fit them into previous molds of games that have died, and start trying to find out which new mold these games fit in.

That being said, the game isn't for everyone. Some enjoy it, some don't, it would be a good idea to try out the beta while you have a chance. The thing to take note of, though, is that you won't be able to really experience any of the PvP until 20+ (which kinda sucks), but at the same time most classes don't really start filling their unique rolls until about that time anyhow (when most classes have their 3chain combos).

• AikkoAikko Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Tenken29

Comparing War's combat failings to Wow, leading on to Aion
    I was just discussing this with a friend. We said when we tried War one of the main reasons we couldn't stay was the combat mechanics would never let you excel yourself againts other players or mobs. It was a case of hit this skill hit that skill, movement and timing never really seemed to be apart of combat. For example a mage in wow can excel himself and theres a certain amount of skill compared to War, he can blink, slow the target, crowd control another target and maybe take out all three if the opponent is slow on countering. If you came against 2 ppl in War the outcome would almost always be the same. There just never seem to be enough tools at your finger tips to work with.

I think I see what you're trying to get at... but you're not quite there.

In wow you can blink or slow the target or crowd control... yes.

In war you can silence, disable, root, pull in, and all bunches of other crap. Many complained it was too much cc.

So from your example is not that great. Now if you want to complain and say the skills in WAR were a lot more brainless due to a TON of the cc being insta cast, that's a different story.

@.

Yeah point taken, i know war had cc but my point was if you were good at your class you still couldn't totally own a new player. Yeah they made it easy to play like wow, but wows skill bar is alot higher a skilled player wow can take out a handful of new players, or a player thats alot higher than themselfs if hes leveling up. I dunno its hard to put your finger on it but in war you never see anyone totally annihilating another set of players due to them being better. And i was saying Aion managed to build on the good parts of wow and aviod those mistakes. Adding skill to a game that can still be played by anyone, but not mastered by all with adding even more features in combat.

I hope it makes more sense 

• TelonosTelonos Member UncommonPosts: 25

A lot of people keep mentioning Aion's lack of "uniqueness", the fact that it doesn't bring anything new to the table. I hate to keep comparing every new mmo that comes out to WoW, but it has to be said; WoW isn't unique, and never was. What made it a success was taking what works from a bunch of different mmos and putting it into a working package. It's the same for Aion. I played the beta for a bit over the weekend; unfortunately I didn't get to a point where I could PvP, but even with the pve I see potential. The levels that  I earned came at a reasonable pace. The quests, while nothing particularly groundbreaking, were fun and enjoyable, and I enjoyed the stories that came along with them.  

Definitely the most important thing though, is how incredibly polished and well the game plays and feels. The interface is solid and easy to navigate, there is little to no lag even in heavily populated areas (barring spikes, particularly when you first load into an congested area), no noticeable bugs or serious issues. WAR has been available for about as long as Aion has (when you factor in Aion's original launch in the asia markets, they appeared at around the same time) and having just played it a couple weeks ago, it's nowhere NEAR as polished as Aion is. If the RVR areas are done even half as well as the PVE areas leading up to it (and most things I've read lead me to believe that it is a solid aspect of the game), Aion will be getting my subscription dollars come September.  So far, it is the only game I've seen come out recently that gives a real viable alternative to all the other garbage that's out there.  Probably my only gripe is that there's no real pvp or rvr prior to the Abyss and I would love a way to level up via pvp, but considering the overall design of the game I can understand why they did it this way. It's just as well, gives you a chance to understand your abilities and what they do/how they work under controlled circumstances.

I like MMOs, I like RVR combat, and I'm sick of WoW. It's seriously time for something else that can offer an alternative.

Yeah point taken, i know war had cc but my point was if you were good at your class you still couldn't totally own a new player. Yeah they made it easy to play like wow, but wows skill bar is alot higher a skilled player wow can take out a handful of new players, or a player thats alot higher than themselfs if hes leveling up. I dunno its hard to put your finger on it but in war you never see anyone totally annihilating another set of players due to them being better. And i was saying Aion managed to build on the good parts of wow and aviod those mistakes. Adding skill to a game that can still be played by anyone, but not mastered by all with adding even more features in combat.

I hope it makes more sense 

Seeing as I still love WAR for various reasons, I have to defend it here a little bit ;) I don't think WAR was ever intended to work the way you describe here. It's always been billed as an "RVR" game, not a "PVP" one. It's an important distinction; WAR's focus is on group combat against other players, not one on ones, and as a result classes have to be balanced.  Skill does matter, but one person should not be able to annihilate a group of players, no matter how good he is, unless he's just vastly higher in level. We could debate why that's OK in WoW as well (WoW is a PVE game first, PVP game second. Balance isn't as important in PVE, people like to be able to decimate monsters and npcs, and it's not like the monsters and npcs will complain).

I do agree that Aion seems to have been worked into a decent equilibrium between skill versus level/gear (Basing that solely on my understanding of the combat system, as it does have an element of strategy in it that requires some skill to be effective).

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402

Aion is nothing that will blow your mind when you think of a MMO but its pretty and nice to look at your toon killing stuff.

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by Telonos

A lot of people keep mentioning Aion's lack of "uniqueness", the fact that it doesn't bring anything new to the table. I hate to keep comparing every new mmo that comes out to WoW, but it has to be said; WoW isn't unique, and never was. What made it a success was taking what works from a bunch of different mmos and putting it into a working package. It's the same for Aion. I played the beta for a bit over the weekend; unfortunately I didn't get to a point where I could PvP, but even with the pve I see potential. The levels that  I earned came at a reasonable pace. The quests, while nothing particularly groundbreaking, were fun and enjoyable, and I enjoyed the stories that came along with them.  

Definitely the most important thing though, is how incredibly polished and well the game plays and feels. The interface is solid and easy to navigate, there is little to no lag even in heavily populated areas (barring spikes, particularly when you first load into an congested area), no noticeable bugs or serious issues. WAR has been available for about as long as Aion has (when you factor in Aion's original launch in the asia markets, they appeared at around the same time) and having just played it a couple weeks ago, it's nowhere NEAR as polished as Aion is. If the RVR areas are done even half as well as the PVE areas leading up to it (and most things I've read lead me to believe that it is a solid aspect of the game), Aion will be getting my subscription dollars come September.  So far, it is the only game I've seen come out recently that gives a real viable alternative to all the other garbage that's out there.  Probably my only gripe is that there's no real pvp or rvr prior to the Abyss and I would love a way to level up via pvp, but considering the overall design of the game I can understand why they did it this way. It's just as well, gives you a chance to understand your abilities and what they do/how they work under controlled circumstances.
    I like MMOs, I like RVR combat, and I'm sick of WoW. It's seriously time for something else that can offer an alternative.

Great post... I concur

• BettysAltBettysAlt Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

So, I have been seeing an insane amount of hype for this game all over this forum for quite a while now.  This game seems to already be a huge success in Asia and is gearing up for the same in the west. I looked at their website to see what all of the ruckus was about, but from looking at the site, everything about the game looked very, well, average to me.
    So my question is, what is so great about this game? What sets it apart from everyone else, and why is it such a success?

Gameplay wise I don't think it's great. Good, about an 8.5, but not great yet. Stability wise and bugwise, it's about the cleanest pre-release game I've ever played, and smoother than many released games.

One thing I wish would go? The freaking voiveovers. Good lord, the noises toons make while casting are so pathetic. And If I hear that cutscene that says "My brothers, the trees...." again, I might throw up. I know they did alot of work, and I appreciate it, but imo the voicing is horrible.

Originally posted by BettysAlt

So, I have been seeing an insane amount of hype for this game all over this forum for quite a while now.  This game seems to already be a huge success in Asia and is gearing up for the same in the west. I looked at their website to see what all of the ruckus was about, but from looking at the site, everything about the game looked very, well, average to me.
    So my question is, what is so great about this game? What sets it apart from everyone else, and why is it such a success?

Gameplay wise I don't think it's great. Good, about an 8.5, but not great yet. Stability wise and bugwise, it's about the cleanest pre-release game I've ever played, and smoother than many released games.

One thing I wish would go? The freaking voiveovers. Good lord, the noises toons make while casting are so pathetic. And If I hear that cutscene that says "My brothers, the trees...." again, I might throw up. I know they did alot of work, and I appreciate it, but imo the voicing is horrible.

I agree - this is my single biggest complaint

I believe they'll have an option to turn down the voice overs like in most MMOs... although I didnt see it in the options when I looked - it was a brief look so its possible I just missed it.

This also makes me a little crazy inside... but given how impressed I am with the game, this is minor and won't be a game breaker or anything. Ya, they aren't that good.... but this is something thats EASILY fixed, not a core mechanic of the game that will take hours/weeks to fix. They could likely fix this in a few days if they really wanted but I suspect their focus is elsewhere at the moment.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by Cammy

I believe they'll have an option to turn down the voice overs like in most MMOs... although I didnt see it in the options when I looked - it was a brief look so its possible I just missed it.

This also makes me a little crazy inside... but given how impressed I am with the game, this is minor and won't be a game breaker or anything. Ya, they aren't that good.... but this is something thats EASILY fixed, not a core mechanic of the game that will take hours/weeks to fix. They could likely fix this in a few days if they really wanted but I suspect their focus is elsewhere at the moment.

The voices the toons had on the beta were still koran voices, you can tell by their high pitch and asian words =P this will probably change on the final version.... now, the trees voice i think is a one to stay =D

Originally posted by tryklon

The voices the toons had on the beta were still koran voices, you can tell by their high pitch and asian words =P this will probably change on the final version.... now, the trees voice i think is a one to stay =D

I agree - that's why Im not too concerned with it at the moment. :)

Its easy to pick on a game that's still in beta... but honestly this game is very well polished and if voice over is the only REAL problem most people have that's definitely a win in my books.... 

There's some improvement that can be made but overall I was very impressed. Doesn't do anything "revolutionary" but it does everything else - rather well... It basically takes the best out of the MMO's I've played and rolls it into one (with a ton of mid-level PVP)... if you like that type of game, this Aion is a great buy... if not - then it simply won't be something you'll enjoy playing. 

• p0psp0ps Member Posts: 19

Is there open PvP like in EQ2 ??

I think there are some areas where Abyss portals can randomly open that allow enemies to get into the opposing factions areas  temporarily, but I think that's the extent of it. Think the bulk of the fighting is in the Abyss. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, heh.

I think there are some areas where Abyss portals can randomly open that allow enemies to get into the opposing factions areas  temporarily, but I think that's the extent of it. Think the bulk of the fighting is in the Abyss. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, heh.

So theres no open pvp, dang. 

Originally posted by p0ps

What do you mean? Its completely open PVP

The Abyss is one huge PVP area... where open PVP shines....

The post you quoted only says that there are rifts which allow for other types of PVP.... which is a full different topic :)

To answer you - there's plenty of world PVP. In fact, that's what majority of the game is based on...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The game has faction based PvP, so you can't attack your own side, no. At least, not outside the Arena.

• thaniththanith Member Posts: 144

<quote>I have been seeing an insane amount of hype for this game all over this forum for quite a while now</quote>

my dear friend,

what else did you expect in THIS forum?

Originally posted by Xasapis

The game has faction based PvP, so you can't attack your own side, no. At least, not outside the Arena.

Ohh - yes absolutely correct

I should have stated that in my reply.

100% faction based... apart from duels I don't think theres any way to fight your own faction

What iam getting at is, IF you have ever played EverQuest 2 anytime you're outside the cities of Freeport or Qeynos you can get attacked by the opposing faction, I hate pvp where you gotta log into an arena or certain area to pvp.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by p0ps

What do you mean? Its completely open PVP

The Abyss is one huge PVP area... where open PVP shines....

The post you quoted only says that there are rifts which allow for other types of PVP.... which is a full different topic :)

To answer you - there's plenty of world PVP. In fact, that's what majority of the game is based on...

er, that's not exactly true. Other than the abyss the only way to attack the other side is to go through in rifts.

however, with the upcoming patch, the longer one stays in the opposing lands killing players the greater a debuff you get as well as having your location pin pointed on the map.

so it's not like, say, lineage 2 where you can just go anywhere and pvp to your heart's content. Also, you can't go to the enemies noob areas.

There are some railings. Then again, this is not intended to be a hardcore pvp game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

This:

Taken just two minutes before the end of CB and no lag at all on my end.

Yeah, I'd say it's more focused on the factional RvR than regular one on one PvP.  Can't please everyone, I guess.

Damn 

• CruelHandCruelHand Member Posts: 8

how carebear lol

Originally posted by CruelHand

how carebear lol

Sadly i agree, I want a NEW MMO with wideopen pvp.