Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm sorry Blizzard, I will never diss you again!

JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

Well I was p1ssed that it took me over 2 hours to download the previous 40 meg update for WoW.

Mr. Stanley Fu, from Blizzard Online Support, was nice enough to write a HUGE email concerning the downloader.

Well, according to him, their updates are distributed via fileplanet.  They are also distributed via their webpage.  And the way the "Disable peer-to-peer" option works, is that it forces the downloader to only download directly from the Blizzard server and not any customers.

Blizzard I love you... please forgive me for anything bad things I may have said to you, I think I've finally found an MMORPG with a great company behind it!

I'll post as a reply what Stanley Fu wrote to me as an email.  It may be an email that was forwarded to everyone that complained about the downloader, it may have been written just for me, but everything I had problems with, were answered in his email!

I just wish other companies were like them (coughSOEcough)

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

Comments

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the Blizzard Downloader
    delivery system for the World of Warcraft game patches.  Due to the size of our
    updates, the Blizzard Downloader is the fastest way to distribute patches and
    content to our users. If we did not use the Downloader, users would experience
    long wait queues and/or slower download rates. The Blizzard Downloader
    distributes patches faster than the method used in all of our previous games. 

There are many advantages of using our downloader.  If you have ever downloaded
    a file from the internet, you know it can be time consuming and is often limited
    by the host's available bandwidth. By using the Blizzard Downloader, the user is
    not limited by any one host's capabilities - instead, the files are distributed
    across a wide range of users, allowing for a quicker download for everyone.
    Also, by using the upload capabilities of each downloader, the overall file
    distribution is much more efficient for everyone.

If you would like to use the alternate download method, you can un-check the box
    for peer-to-peer downloading.  This will reduce the potential download speed,
    since it is not as fast as peer-to-peer, but will draw the patch file directly
    from Blizzard's servers.  This is particularly useful for areas that restrict or
    ban peer-to-peer connections.

We are always evaluating new methods of distributing content, but at this time,
    we do not have any alternatives to the Blizzard Downloader program.  If you have
    not already, we recommend you visit our support page for assistance with the
    Downloader:
    http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=mww000p&v=49

We have also allowed FilePlanet to mirror our patch file for those who would
    prefer to use their services.  You may find the patch here:
    http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/148817.shtml

Regards,
    Stanley Fu
    Online Support
    Blizzard Entertainment
    http://www.blizzard.com/support

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

• ZrazikZrazik Member Posts: 195

Blizzard's CS may be nice and all, though downloading updates still suck for many people.

Also...

Blizzard I love you... please forgive me for anything bad things I may have said to you

*cough* fanboi *cough*

::::02::

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

Originally posted by Zrazik

*cough* fanboi *cough*

Mwu ha ha ha... yeah... I guess I'm a Blizzard fanboy now.  Bah... can you blame me?  For someone that's been treated like pure crap by Sony Online Entertainment for several months in a row, I had lost faith in all companies cause of them... but Blizzard has shown me the light!!!

___________ ___ __ _ _ _

• Nimrod4154Nimrod4154 Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Zrazik

Blizzard's CS may be nice and all, though downloading updates still suck for many people.

Also...

Blizzard I love you... please forgive me for anything bad things I may have said to you

*cough* fanboi *cough*

IM gonna have to second this. Suckin up are we?image

Games Played:DoAC, EQ, CoH, Lineage 2, Planetside, Shadowbane, EQ2, EVE, WoW Beta
    Playing:(Waiting to buy WoW)

• KhalenKhalen Member Posts: 45
    I don't know why so many people (supposedly) have trouble downloading a patch. It was downloaded here in minutes without any hazzle. I even seeded the download longer then those minutes it took me to download. Somehow I get the feeling it's a not a problem of Blizzard at all...

• Silver.Silver. Member Posts: 368

Great news::::28::

Is there anyone who had a negative effect with this?
    Just wondering.

Oh, I almost forgot:

::::08::::::08::::::08::BLIZZARD RULES::::08::::::08::::::08::

Yeah deal with it, or else ::::15::
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Cheers! I'm out ::::28::
    ---------------------------------------------

Cheers! I'm out ::::28::::
    ---------------------------------------------

• AldrethAldreth Member UncommonPosts: 79

If I use the P2P downloader provided by Blizzard it takes my cable modem about 2 and a half hours to download a 40 meg patch. Which is by far the worst I have ever seen from an MMORPG. EQ, EQ2, DAoC, Shadowbane, AO, AC1&2, the list goes on, never had anything even remotely this bad. I'm not bashing WoW, because I love the game, but there are some things that they could most definitely work on.

1. The patcher - is horrible

2. Current waiting times for CSR's are inexcusable.

Right now I just use Fileplanet, which I pay for, and patches take all of about 2 minutes to download. I'm not sure what Blizzard's problem is, its not like they aren't making enough money. They should be able to easily surpass DAoC's patcher which was miles beyond the quality of Blizzards current one.

Don't get excited about a tax cut. It's like a mugger giving you back fare for a taxi.

Don't get excited about a tax cut. It's like a mugger giving you back fare for a taxi.

• HelldogHelldog Member Posts: 169

blizzard downlaoder is a good idea, but its because of all the smallminded people that care about the 20mb extra upload, thus they limit their upload....

so it results in everyone else having shite download speed, limiting their upload too.......

from own experience: it goes slow the first few megabytes yeah but then it suddenly starts  going at 150-200kb/s and no holding back   image

although they would be better of hosting it on a server with huge upload, but I guess that don't fit into their budget...

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

Originally posted by Aldreth

Right now I just use Fileplanet, which I pay for, and patches take all of about 2 minutes to download. I'm not sure what Blizzard's problem is, its not like they aren't making enough money. They should be able to easily surpass DAoC's patcher which was miles beyond the quality of Blizzards current one.

Agreed. My service provider won't allow PtP. So I have to download directly from the Blizzard servers...Which btw...Selling about 350,000 copies i'm thinkin, at $50 a pop...Is I believe, $17,500,000.

And they can't afford good downloading servers?

Yeesh...C'mon people! Quit kissing Blizzard's ass here! If they don't get held accountable for their flawed actions, they won't change them! That's the problem with the MMORPG industry...Too many fanboi's kissing ass, so the makers won't do jacksquat for the customer.

You don't start expecting...Nay...Demanding better, they won't give.

Death is not to fear; for it is not the end, but rather the beginning on the road to eternity.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

Originally posted by Aldaron
    Originally posted by Aldreth
    Right now I just use Fileplanet, which I pay for, and patches take all of about 2 minutes to download. I'm not sure what Blizzard's problem is, its not like they aren't making enough money. They should be able to easily surpass DAoC's patcher which was miles beyond the quality of Blizzards current one.Don't get excited about a tax cut. It's like a mugger giving you back fare for a taxi.
    Agreed. My service provider won't allow PtP. So I have to download directly from the Blizzard servers...Which btw...Selling about 350,000 copies i'm thinkin, at $50 a pop...Is I believe, $17,500,000.
    And they can't afford good downloading servers?
    Yeesh...C'mon people! Quit kissing Blizzard's ass here! If they don't get held accountable for their flawed actions, they won't change them! That's the problem with the MMORPG industry...Too many fanboi's kissing ass, so the makers won't do jacksquat for the customer.
    You don't start expecting...Nay...Demanding better, they won't give.Death is not to fear; for it is not the end, but rather the beginning on the road to eternity.

Most of that money goes to the retailers and the publishers. Blizzard itsels makes, what, 5$ per copy? This is ofcourse without the monthly fees.

If ignorance is bliss, you'd think people would be happier when you point out what morons they are!