Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apparently WoW is a distant 2nd in subs

NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

The Perfect World International ad on the homepage states that Perfect World has over 50 million players! It must be true!

Current: None
Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

Comments

• Legato89Legato89 Member Posts: 297

lol

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

They might as well go all out and say 500 Million.  It makes about the same amount of sense=)

• dp88dp88 Member Posts: 26

isn't it f2p? Wouldn't that make the amount of subs 0?

• pompey606pompey606 Member UncommonPosts: 439

49.9 million of those "players" signed up when they got bored of current mmos, then, as they looked at the website while downloading the client, they thaught, "no thanks". And cancelled their download.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Although the context of subscriptions may imply payment in the MMO industry, there is no reason that advertising may use a different definition in order to better promote their product

As some president once famously said "It all depends on what your definition of 'is' is"

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Czzarre

Although the context of subscriptions may imply payment in the MMO industry, there is no reason that advertising may use a different definition in order to better promote their product

As some president once famously said "It all depends on what your definition of 'is' is"

Isn't this a moot point since they use the term 'players' in the ad?  What is their definition of 'player'?

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

All i see is 50 million players not subcribers and i doubt they have 50 million players playing.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Comparing apples with oranges. Right.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Wouldn't WoW technically be a distant 3rd and PWI a distant 2nd? Cause I remember reading a loooooong while ago that Maple Story had close to 100 mill subs.... =P

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

I would love blizzard to post "accounts created" or even better do a LOTRO and post "characters created" .. there would not be enough ZEROS in the world for numbers that big =D

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

meh, it's fail-2-pay

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by DevilXaphan

All i see is 50 million players not subcribers and i doubt they have 50 million players playing.

Subscribing does not necessarily mean they are paying to play, it's no different then subing to a news letter on a website. But I agree, odds are they are throwing in all the accounts created instead of accounts currently being used.

• kakarotragekakarotrage Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by pompey606

49.9 million of those "players" signed up when they got bored of current mmos, then, as they looked at the website while downloading the client, they thaught, "no thanks". And cancelled their download.

I lol'd

thank you

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.

• whackedgsgwwhackedgsgw Member Posts: 25

I wonder how many accounts have been created for wow and lotro and such, and at the same idea I wonder how many of those 50 mil accounts have over a day play time.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Not many. When you play full box price and a one month subscription, you usually at least give the game a fair chance. With F2P games you can basically open a browser, make an account and forget about it.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by whackedgsgw

I wonder how many accounts have been created for wow and lotro and such, and at the same idea I wonder how many of those 50 mil accounts have over a day play time.

Exactly, I bet most of those accounts were logged into once and never again.  I'm not interested in how many accounts have ever been created on a game, I care about how many are active right now.  If I logged into PWI, would a significant portion of those 50 million accounts be online and playing right this second?

If not, it's a pointless number.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None