Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With the release of Jedi as a starter profession...

13»

Comments

•  

I'm sure it will be a matter of frequency-dependent class selection. :) The more Jedi there are, the more attractive the alternate classes become because people like to be different, and feel somewhat special and wanted.

Which is just another way of saying what others have said... that it will all balance out. Particularly if group content is more enjoyable with a mix of classes.

Having said that, the first class I will *try* is the Jedi. It is too hard to say what class will actually be your main until you play the game in my opinion. For me, it will highly depend on whether I really enjoy the hand-to-hand combat.

What is exciting for me at this point, is I want to try every class I read about in the articles... except for the Sith... ugh, they are so fugly evil. :P

• KebeckKebeck Member Posts: 323

My first character will probably be the trooper... i really hope they will balance the classes so we can see class specific guilds in the game.

To the OP : I'm almost sure everyone will at least roll one jedi/sith... but like it has already been told several time, in the timeline of KOTOR, jedis were a lot more common than in the SW movies.

• ConverseSCConverseSC Member Posts: 572
    Originally posted by Zlayer77

To be honest if they agreed to  let Jedi be a starter professions they should have made all the Proffessions Jedi. Just make them diffrent kinds, 6 classes of Jedi would have been the best way to go. Jedi should kick every other class ase if you stick to the lore. They are the super elit, so if you decide to include them you have to make every class a Jedi one.....just let them play diffrently.
    Im really not sure Bioware knows what they are doing, we will just have to wait and see but im not getting my hopes up on this one....

They created KOTOR.  I say that they know a lot more about game design and the lore behind Star Wars than you.

By the way, it's cute that you think that Jedi are so overpowered, that they should be able to steamroll through everything.

That's a video of Jango killing a Jedi MASTER who sat on the HIGH COUNCIL.  He also fought Obi-Wan to a draw.  That's not mentioning of course all the Jedi who died to regular troops during Order 66.  

Jedi aren't invincible gods.  

• Originally posted by ConverseSC

To be honest if they agreed to  let Jedi be a starter professions they should have made all the Proffessions Jedi. Just make them diffrent kinds, 6 classes of Jedi would have been the best way to go. Jedi should kick every other class ase if you stick to the lore. They are the super elit, so if you decide to include them you have to make every class a Jedi one.....just let them play diffrently.
    Im really not sure Bioware knows what they are doing, we will just have to wait and see but im not getting my hopes up on this one....

They created KOTOR.  I say that they know a lot more about game design and the lore behind Star Wars than you.

By the way, it's cute that you think that Jedi are so overpowered, that they should be able to steamroll through everything.

That's a video of Jango killing a Jedi MASTER who sat on the HIGH COUNCIL.  He also fought Obi-Wan to a draw.  That's not mentioning of course all the Jedi who died to regular troops during Order 66.  

I was going to bring up Order 66 too. Glad someone did. :)

• vala2008vala2008 Member Posts: 229

I will play a Jedi, but to be honest there isnt much of a choice is there....4 classes is a minimalist approach if you ask me 

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

The jedi and Sith are the "meat and potatoes" of the Star wars films. There will naturally be alot of ppl that will want to play them. Ill be playing a sith and an alt will be a republic trooper.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• ondoriondori Member Posts: 8

Jedi is probably last class I will try, I personally am looking forward to smuggler and bounty hunter. I would like to know what the other classes they are taking 9 years to release are.

• er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by thafireball

The first thing I make won't be a Jedi...I'm going bounty hunter!

same here. if i can play a ranged bounty hunter that would be perfect but just bounty hunter is by far my first choice.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Anything that has force is gonna make the newage fanboys cream themselfs. That is the makings of how this is gonna turn out. WoW with lightsabers or Guildwars with lightsabers is the real thing you should be asking yourself.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

With it being a Bioware game I am sure I will play every class, being the story will be different for each, and in more than just a slight way. Smugglers sound like my favorite so far though.

Originally posted by ConverseSC

good point...even Bane who has to be the most powerfull force sensative i have come across yet in the novels was weary of the fact that he could become weakened from prolonged use of the force and become vulnerable.  And in The Approaching Storm Obi Wan, Luminera, Anakin and Bariss find themselves vulnerable to a larger group of mercenaries. They were far from invincable it just depended on how vulnerable they were at the time because the force power seems to be finite.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Force might be infinite but the people themselves, no. Then again were talking about fan boys above everything else. A single group and of course there gonna get there way regardless, a NGE knock off probably ultimately.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

You can compare it to the release of WotLK. Everyone, and then some rolled their own dk mainly cause it was 'cool' and secondly cause they where, and still are stupidly overpowered.

Dunno if Jedi/Sith will be overpowered in the game. They shouldn't be cause no matter how fast a jedi/sith is, they can't stop everything as seen in the movies/fiction and the lore. A regular blasterhit to the chest kills ya nomatter how many midichlorians you got inside you.

Oh, and midichlorians rank up there together with Jar Jar Binks when it comes to stupid ideas. George Lucas should learn the idiom; leave well enough alone, by heart.

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

Originally posted by slask777

You can compare it to the release of WotLK. Everyone, and then some rolled their own dk mainly cause it was 'cool' and secondly cause they where, and still are stupidly overpowered.
    Dunno if Jedi/Sith will be overpowered in the game. They shouldn't be cause no matter how fast a jedi/sith is, they can't stop everything as seen in the movies/fiction and the lore. A regular blasterhit to the chest kills ya nomatter how many midichlorians you got inside you.
    Oh, and midichlorians rank up there together with Jar Jar Binks when it comes to stupid ideas. George Lucas should learn the idiom; leave well enough alone, by heart.

OUCH! i kind of liked the idea of the midichlorians although i couldn't stand jar jar. ithought it was a very good and simple way of making a vague hard to grasp idea concrete. you didnt have to get deep into abstract thought while being entertained. it was simple....force power is endowed because these little buggers are living inside your blood....i still cant interprete why the hell we needed jar jar for.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by cornedp

Maybe you should read up on your SW:ToR Lore... There IS going to be a lot of Jedi running arround. This is after all 3000 years BEFORE Luke and Darth Vader....
    And PLEASE....This is NOT SWG!!!!

What this gentleman said right here. QFT!

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by cornedp

Maybe you should read up on your SW:ToR Lore... There IS going to be a lot of Jedi running arround. This is after all 3000 years BEFORE Luke and Darth Vader....
    And PLEASE....This is NOT SWG!!!!

What this gentleman said right here. QFT!

Double QFT. This is game is not going to be anything like that POS.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by szsleepy 
    If you're a Star Wars fan, at least give the Light Saber the respect it deserves as an icon representing a forty-year-old, story-telling tradition.  Calling it a glow-bat is degenerative, and insulting to other long-time Star Wars fans, and shows your ignorance and prejudice as a person.

Oh, how I lol'd when I read this... how I lol'd and rofl'd. Chiding someone for calling lightsabers "glowbats" is hilarious and pathetic. And then proceeding to call them ignorant and prejudiced? I'm taking a screenshot of your post and saving it for posterity, because this is priceless. Made my day.

Look, I've been a Star Wars fan (though not the kind who wears Jedi robes to sci-fi conventions) since my childhood, but Star Wars is an entertainment franchise. It's not sacred, it doesn't command respect, and anyone who feels insulted when someone else jokes about Star Wars is a huge nerd, and not a terribly bright one at that.

By the way, "glowbat" is more a derogatory term for annoying MMORPG players than an insult to Star Wars. I believe the term was coined (or at least gained far more widespread popularity) in Star Wars Galaxies, because of the leet-speaking morons who often ground up Jedi later on in the pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies time frame.

True fans were exasperated by the fact that so many idiots were playing Jedi, and I can say with confidence that there will be plenty of idiots playing Jedi in SW:TOR since everyone wants to be one, hence use of the term "glowbat" in this context. People who refuse to role-play Jedi properly and only type "lol, pwnd nub" in chat channels are doing far more to insult the franchise than anyone using the term "glowbat."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR: The weapon of a real Jedi (as depicted in the films and other canon) or an MMORPG player who role-plays his character properly is called a lightsaber. The weapon of some random toolbox playing a Jedi in an MMORPG because it's cool and he wants to pwn nubz is called a glowbat.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

Originally posted by szsleepy 
    If you're a Star Wars fan, at least give the Light Saber the respect it deserves as an icon representing a forty-year-old, story-telling tradition.  Calling it a glow-bat is degenerative, and insulting to other long-time Star Wars fans, and shows your ignorance and prejudice as a person.

Oh, how I lol'd when I read this... how I lol'd and rofl'd. Chiding someone for calling lightsabers "glowbats" is hilarious and pathetic. And then proceeding to call them ignorant and prejudiced? I'm taking a screenshot of your post and saving it for posterity, because this is priceless. Made my day.

Look, I've been a Star Wars fan (though not the kind who wears Jedi robes to sci-fi conventions) since my childhood, but Star Wars is an entertainment franchise. It's not sacred, it doesn't command respect, and anyone who feels insulted when someone else jokes about Star Wars is a huge nerd, and not a terribly bright one at that.

By the way, "glowbat" is more a derogatory term for annoying MMORPG players than an insult to Star Wars. I believe the term was coined (or at least gained far more widespread popularity) in Star Wars Galaxies, because of the leet-speaking morons who often ground up Jedi later on in the pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies time frame.

True fans were exasperated by the fact that so many idiots were playing Jedi, and I can say with confidence that there will be plenty of idiots playing Jedi in SW:TOR since everyone wants to be one, hence use of the term "glowbat" in this context. People who refuse to role-play Jedi properly and only type "lol, pwnd nub" in chat channels are doing far more to insult the franchise than anyone using the term "glowbat."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR: The weapon of a real Jedi (as depicted in the films and other canon) or an MMORPG player who role-plays his character properly is called a lightsaber. The weapon of some random toolbox playing a Jedi in an MMORPG because it's cool and he wants to pwn nubz is called a glowbat.

Thank you. I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who thought that comment to be a bit on the weird side.And here I thought Star Trek owned the title of most weird and obsessed fans.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

Huh, I always thought that the term "glowbat" originated from the way in which sabers are depicted in star wars games; not the deadly one-hit-slices-off-yer-face uberweapon that the movies showed them to be, but little more than a glowing baseball bat (hence, "glowbat") that you had to use to repeatedly bludgeon your enemies to death.

Live and learn, I guess.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

For the most part bioware has said all players are heros, that means all players are equal in uberness. A true master soldier, or bounty hunter can kill normal jedi all day long. They are little more than cannon fodder, a pc jedi will be a challange and likewise him to the jedi. Jedi are not gods, look at star wars legacy or the knights of the old republic comics, jedi die a lot in those. If they were gods order 66 wouldn't have worked at all.