Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So the Beta

iank240iank240 Member Posts: 170

I was lucky enough to pre-order the standard edition on Steam here in the UK.

From installing, I found it odd that Steam installed the Aion NA version so I had to reinstall with the European version before I got started but I dont mind.

I started playing Friday night on the opening of the beta this weekend and I must say, from what I have seen, I am impressed.  The customisation has been well mentioned in this forum and many others and I spent about 10 mins creating my female Elyos mage.  Something to replace my lvl 80 WoW mage :)

So entering the game the quest structure was very good.  The map is one of the best  I have seen in an MMO.  All the flashy effects work nicely.  The only thing I found was with all the animations going on, the warriors and scouts look a little idle in combat between echanging blows.  Seemed a little odd to me but of course it is beta.

Walking around, you can see people who are creating tiny characters, probably the pvpers getting ready.  I see a few  "legions" appear here and there and the cut scenes from completing certain missions are fresh and cut up the grinding a bit.

The mage was a bit boring between levels 7 to 9.  I just found the constant round robin of the same spells a bit laboursome but the music and scenery make up for it.

I finally get to level 10 and make my way to the major city and its huge.  Obviously designed to take the masses of characters that will arrive.  The broker system is interesting.  You can buy and sell via a broker which caught my eye.  I started looking deeper at the landscape and textures and I saw a couple of mistakes.  One, a tree near the lake in the beginning area.  One side is slightly off the ground which was weird.  Some of the textures on the top of some of the arches in the city look odd and some of the textures on the steps look a bit stretched.

So I will continue to play and I hope to carry on playing till SWTOR comes out.  I dont know much about the lore but I will be spending in the next couple of weeks reading up on the official websites and see how it conincides with my current story arch in game.

Comments

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

Glad you enjoyed it.

I initially had a similar problem with the EU client after purchasing the game from NCsoft directly, but apparently the clients for the beta are exactly the same, you just need to switch the region in the launcher to access the correct servers.

I had a pretty good 500kb d/l which I thought was not bad.

• AikkoAikko Member Posts: 25

Loved the beta tonight finally got round to trying gladiator class surprisingly it become my favorite class so far. After answering a short survey we got given some nice items, one of which made you turn into a dragon for like 10mins kinda fun.

Intrestingly enough one of the statments in the survey was "many of the features that are going to be in the live version weren't in the beta so many that it would be overwhelming to list here, but heres a few out of these, which would you most look forward to? listed about 7 and i remember 1 was instances another was huge pvp system with rewards and gear etc etc", I thought i'd throw in the instances as someone was complaining that it didn't have any.

Anyway am so so looking forward to live launch and hope to see many of you there too. 

• iank240iank240 Member Posts: 170

Did the survey and got red and blue dye.  Did not get the dragon item but saw a lvl 20 cleric in dragon form.

• AikkoAikko Member Posts: 25

Yeah a few more questions came up after the dye and the Dragon was in the last one. You get 5 in a stack, had a strong auto attack if you tried it while questing xD, but you couldn't use your other skills. 

• iank240iank240 Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by Aikko

Yeah a few more questions came up after the dye and the Dragon was in the last one. You get 5 in a stack, had a strong auto attack if you tried it while questing xD, but you couldn't use your other skills. 

I think I better jump back in :)