Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haunting beautiful - I think that best describes this song.

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Boys of Summer by Don Henley

I'm in an 80's kind of mood.   So what song do you find hauntingly beautiful?  Please post a link to share it with us all.  Thanks!

Comments

• GorakkhGorakkh Member Posts: 694

Hauntingly beautiful you say? Without a doubt The Dark Crystal theme : www.youtube.com/watch From the movie, a great 80's fantasy movie with a great soundtrack.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by NeverLand7

Hauntingly beautiful you say? Without a doubt The Dark Crystal theme : www.youtube.com/watch From the movie, a great 80's fantasy movie with a great soundtrack.

Funny you bring this one up because we just watched this movie this last weekend.   Weird.   It is very hauntingly beautiful song by the way.   Oh and can anyone here tell me what two MMORPG's were heavily influenced by this movie?

• GorakkhGorakkh Member Posts: 694
    Originally posted by Teala

Funny you bring this one up because we just watched this movie this last weekend.   Weird.   It is very hauntingly beautiful song by the way.   Oh and can anyone here tell me what two MMORPG's were heavily influenced by this movie?

I'm going to guess maybe Dark age of Camelot?

On that note, did you know another 80's fantasy movie, Legend, starring tom cruise and Mia Sara, was what heavy influenced and inspired Shigeru Miyamoto's Legend of Zelda series.

Ganondorf anyone? lol

I'm going to guess maybe Dark age of Camelot?

On that note, did you know another 80's fantasy movie, Legend, starring tom cruise and Mia Sara, was what heavy influenced and inspired Shigeru Miyamoto's Legend of Zelda series.

Now that I did not know.   That is another really cool fantasy flick.    :)

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

So many....

Tool - 10,000 days (Part 1 & 2) -- Part 1 is more of a long interlude mostly instrumental.  Part 2 enters seamlessly and has the bulk of beauty and emotion.  The song is about MJK's  Christian mother who was confined to a wheelchair for "10000 days" before she passed away.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGFy_CwA5hk

I can spend all day linking songs that are easily categorized as "Haunting Beutiful", but my advice is start listening to Tool, NIN, Perfect Circle, and Smashing Pumpkins. 

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Boys of Summer by Don Henley
    I'm in an 80's kind of mood.   So what song do you find hauntingly beautiful?  Please post a link to share it with us all.  Thanks!

We have a special set of words for that song here in Detroit:

"Nobody on the road, nobody on the street. I feel it in the air, cold brew just outta reach. Empty wallet, empty tank, I drive downtown alone. I'm passing by the Stroh House, oh no, no one's home...

I can see you, brown can shining in the sun. Ya got your pull tab off, Bohemian baby. I can tell you my thirst for you will still be strong, after the brewery on Gratiot is gone"........

There's more, but I won't bore you non-detroiters with it. Our version celebrates the days when you could go down to the Stroh brewery, sit in the Stroh House and drink free beer and eat potato chips. It was a great, cheap, time. Got many of us thru college.

I really miss those days......free beer.......(sigh).

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

The phrase in itself brings Opeth to mind.  I absolutely love their acustics, but one song in particular comes to mind when thinking about Hauntingly Beautiful.

Opeth: To Bid You Farewell

fire up the wizards beard..and give it a listen.

*edit* and Boys of Summer, seems like just when you start getting into the groove of summer its over.  That song always reminds me of my last summer after I graduated.  Man, how things have changed

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Is this a contest?  Because if so, this song wins:

Landslide

Of course, it's not really fair.  Stevie Nicks could make "Pop goes the Weasel" sound hauntingly beautiful.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Stones.

www.youtube.com/watch 

Dunno why but that old ass song is still one of the best to me. 

Not to mention ganked more often by not in some way or another by new agey bands.

• MuraisMurais Member UncommonPosts: 1,118

www.imeem.com/gummypills/music/QrJGk9O8/bones-domingo-violet/

Win. Although, pretty much anything with a decent violinist, or cellist, brings this kind of emotion to mind for me.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Murais

www.imeem.com/gummypills/music/QrJGk9O8/bones-domingo-violet/

Win. Although, pretty much anything with a decent violinist, or cellist, brings this kind of emotion to mind for me.

That's some good stuff there..  I need to find more.  Is the rest of his stuff the same?

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• patri0tzpatri0tz Member UncommonPosts: 185

Within Temptation has quite a few songs that would fit that description... these are 3 of my favorites:

Memories

Say My Name

Forgiven

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306
    Originally posted by Zindaihas

Landslide
    Of course, it's not really fair.  Stevie Nicks could make "Pop goes the Weasel" sound hauntingly beautiful.

True about Stevie Nicks. However, Gold Dust Woman is far more haunting than Landslide. Both are quite beautiful, though.

Cowboy Junkies - Mariner's Song

If a ghost could sing, I'm positive it'd sound like Margo Timmins.

BTW the two games that were influenced were Asheron's Call and World of Warcraft.   Both games pay homage to the movie in various ways.

Also, keep them coming.  There is some good music being posted here.  :)

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

I like the original of the Boys of Summer but i also really like the Atari's version of it.

tinyurl.com/lfcjjv 

also this song, video is from some blizz contest.

tinyurl.com/l7b4ll

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

This is one of my favorites.

Chris Isaak

Wicked Game

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

cafe del mar - Winter pagent clothes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDDMgBxyJCw

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    Originally posted by DailyBuzz

Landslide

True about Stevie Nicks. However, Gold Dust Woman is far more haunting than Landslide. Both are quite beautiful, though.

Cowboy Junkies - Mariner's Song

If a ghost could sing, I'm positive it'd sound like Margo Timmins.

Gold Dust Woman doesn't do nearly as much for me as Landslide.  But I'll tell you what song does, Silver Springs.  To me, it's a toss-up between those two.  But I included Landslide in my initial post because the quality of the video is better.

But thanks for the Cowboy Junkies post.  That brings to mind their version of Sweet Jane.  Just a bit more haunting than Lou Reed's version.

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

Gold Dust Woman doesn't do nearly as much for me as Landslide.  But I'll tell you what song does, Silver Springs.  To me, it's a toss-up between those two.  But I included Landslide in my initial post because the quality of the video is better.
    But thanks for the Cowboy Junkies post.  That brings to mind their version of Sweet Jane.  Just a bit more haunting than Lou Reed's version.

I think I like Gold Dust Woman so much because it ties in so well with Witchy Woman. Well, other than the myriad of other reasons to like it on it's own merit (arrangement, production, lyrics, vocals). Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You is also fantastic, if not haunting.

Tori Amos - Silent All These Years always had a haunting feel to me. Then again, nearly everything she does has a haunting feel, but this one in particular. Very disturbing, oddly entertaining, energy in her music.

• kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

All of the Heroes of Might and Magic IV songs, the entire soundtrack. These guys really need to do more game music, it is simply some of the best I have ever heard.

www.youtube.com/watch

I think the entire soundtrack is there, bunch of songs. They're all posted by 'Banzay27.

It's ridiculous how good they are, whenever you hear one of these songs, you can instantly imagine a beautiful fantasy landscape, or the memories of your favorite game come at you like you were actually playing it.

I feel like I should make a massive mod for Oblivion or a similar game, just to compliment this music.

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

u-Ziq - Meinheld www.youtube.com/watch

If you can handle the glitch-hop/breakcore beats the melody to this song is absolutely amazing.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

A couple of nice ones posted here - thanks. Here's my pick.

Along with Gregorio Allegri's 'Miserere' this piece (the Spem In Alium) by Tallis is regarded as one of the pinnacles of Renaissance Polyphony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cn7ZW8ts3Y

• VemoiVemoi Member Posts: 1,546

Here is hauntingly beautiful about a vehicle....beat that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTP3ScWi7rc&feature=related