Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest 2 or Vanguard?

2»

Comments

• TruethTrueth Member Posts: 287

EQ2 is much better.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I tried both and ended up playing VG longer. I think I got bored with EQ2 after 1 week. I played VG for a couple months before finances and free time forced me to drop all my subs but one.

VG has more challenging gameplay and an explorer's dream game world. The character models are a bit cheap looking, but so are EQ2's.

I actually found it easier to find groups in VG than EQ2. Maybe it was the server I was on?

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• BlackdragunBlackdragun Member Posts: 19

I unfortunately went back on my decision to never play anything SOE put out after the fail of SWG. I started in VG from the first day and played for a few months. I would not recommend VG as the population continues to drop and I personally did not enjoy the community.

I would say if you can't find a game that really sparks your interest, just join a F2P until something better comes out. That was the biggest reason I joined RoM, nothing was out that really looked Great.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by MegaWolf

Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

If you've tried them both then shouldn't you know which one you prefered?

no... i don't, hence this thread...

Vanguard seems to be the better choice. I prefer a game that focuses more on grouping. The only concern is the population and being able to find people to group with. Plus i heard the free trial area of Vanguard doesn't do the game much justice.

It's not that it doesn't do it justice, it's that once you leave the trial island you are faced with a huge world and everyone is spread out.

As far as the question, it depends. EQ 2 has more players and is very polished. I like the classes in eq 2, especially my shadow knight. However, the world is just too cute for me. It also feels a bit artificial. like the devs created some sort of valey and just populated it.

I LOVE the world in Vanguard. it feels right. on moment you can be in a forest that feels like a forest and after traveling you can be on a sandy tropical beach watching the sun set while destroying lizard folk!

however, if you are the type of person who is not proactive and needs to find a lot of pickup groups then vangaurd won't be for you.

Vanguard is for:

soloers (some content is difficult so you might have tackle it at higher lvl)

players in an established guildplayers who are proactive and will actively seek out active guilds.

I was in the mood for a high fantasy game, loaded both eq 2 and vanguard up and to my tastes, vanguard, despite it's issues, is a more interesting world.

Eq2 is about things like "mr. stipple stash has misplaced his spectacles, can you help him find them". It's cutsey. oh, I'm sure there are more serious quests but I just couldn't take it anymore.

I like the danger in VAnguard. I actually die in that game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    It's not that it doesn't do it justice, it's that once you leave the trial island you are faced with a huge world and everyone is spread out.
    As far as the question, it depends. EQ 2 has more players and is very polished. I like the classes in eq 2, especially my shadow knight. However, the world is just too cute for me. It also feels a bit artificial. like the devs created some sort of valey and just populated it.
    I LOVE the world in Vanguard. it feels right. on moment you can be in a forest that feels like a forest and after traveling you can be on a sandy tropical beach watching the sun set while destroying lizard folk!
    however, if you are the type of person who is not proactive and needs to find a lot of pickup groups then vangaurd won't be for you.
    Vanguard is for:
    players in an established guildplayers who are proactive and will actively seek out active guilds.
    I was in the mood for a high fantasy game, loaded both eq 2 and vanguard up and to my tastes, vanguard, despite it's issues, is a more interesting world.
    Eq2 is about things like "mr. stipple stash has misplaced his spectacles, can you help him find them". It's cutsey. oh, I'm sure there are more serious quests but I just couldn't take it anymore.

LMAO

I wrote this almost 2 years ago about EQII mate, enjoy....

www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Torak/012008/1053_The-wonderful-world-of-EQII-or-Poohbear-has-left-the-building

Originally posted by Torak

Vanguard is for:

LMAO

www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Torak/012008/1053_The-wonderful-world-of-EQII-or-Poohbear-has-left-the-building

Father?

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by Torak

Vanguard is for:

LMAO

lol, that was a great blog post.

Remember, Pooh's tummy is always rumbley and Tigger is down in mexico, shacked up with a mexican whore and drinking himself into oblvion. Wait, can I say that on TV?

I agree, games like oblvion or even gothic are far  more the mmo than many mmo's... without the people.

And it's funny because I've been avidly playing oblvion for quite some time.

I have quite a few mods an some mods that make the fighting a bit harder.

Well, last night I was playing and was having some problems with some baddies in a cave. Without "really" thinking, I thought to myself, "I wonder if I'm going to have to get a group for this..."

then I laughed.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

In terms of gameplay, world design, and classes, I like Vanguard better.

In terms of dev resources, content, expansions, depth, and having an actual decent population of players, I like EQ2 better.

Both are different games, you should pick what you like better.  Both have trials so try them out.  I've played both extensively, enjoyed my time in them.  But now I'm back in EQ1 and having the best time in MMO's in a long time

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• krugvekrugve Member Posts: 32

Vanguard is suffering from lower population - both player and developer, which can be worrying and makes its future uncertain.

Other than that, it's superior to EQ2.

• PharaDarPharaDar Member Posts: 44

I loved EQ 1, and was so excited when EQ 2 was released.

But it turned out to be entirely differnt to EQs initial launch content and really was terrible in almost every respect, despite being rather childish as people wrote above it happened to have the least interested armour ever created for an MMO you could be brown, light brown or dark brown.

Streamlined and mindnumbing linearity its dreadful and ruined my hopes of sticking with EQ forever more.

Vanguard tried to be old style EQ and the world is far more similar its open expansive and so on but its just I find a bit slow and tedious after a time I didnt last long in vanguard and nor did any of my friends.

So if you got to choose head back to EQ for a nostalgia trip sometimes and forget this dreadful duo.

lol, that was a great blog post.
    Remember, Pooh's tummy is always rumbley and Tigger is down in mexico, shacked up with a mexican whore and drinking himself into oblvion. Wait, can I say that on TV?
    I agree, games like oblvion or even gothic are far  more the mmo than many mmo's... without the people.
    And it's funny because I've been avidly playing oblvion for quite some time.
    I have quite a few mods an some mods that make the fighting a bit harder.
    Well, last night I was playing and was having some problems with some baddies in a cave. Without "really" thinking, I thought to myself, "I wonder if I'm going to have to get a group for this..."
    then I laughed.

Yeah I don't remember exactly what was going through my head at the time...I think I was just trying to say that I didn't understand why SOE was writing on the pre-teen level for content and I was really annoyed with the voice overs.

Recently they (SOE) did a study of their player base and found that the majority of their players are in the 20-30+ range - "surprise" as that is the genres norm despite popular opinion when it comes to a certain big title game. It's amazing to me that that many grown people are able to endure the adolescent mumbo jumbo they put it their games.

There definetly needs to be a move back to content writen on an adult level (UO, EQ, AC at least) as that is mostly who is playing MMO's...adults.

• MegaWolfMegaWolf Member Posts: 425

Well after reading all the feedback i decided to give Vanguard a try and i have been playing the demo all day. I am enjoying the game so far and realy like the mechanics of the game. It also looks great on my computer. Ive seen plenty of people walking around and i kind of prefer a smaller population anyway. I used to play EQmac and that had a very low pop but was very fun and more personal because you deal with a lot of the same people.

Playing: Vanguard SoH
    Played: EQ, Planetside, SWG, WoW, EQ2

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Vanguard is a better game, though its far less supported

• TruethTrueth Member Posts: 287

Having a defensive target in VG is interesting, but that doesn't off-set how dissappointing it is to have Silius as a lead developer and producer. Vg only has 3 developers left now that Tiraslee has been demoted to community class liasion.  Would you rather play EQII with a full staff and tons of support or VG, with 2 developers who must obey every stupid dececion that Silius makes?  You choose.

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Vanguard is a much better game, though its far less supported

I would agree with that.

OP, you made the best choice given the options.